AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-23, 11:23   Link #61
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Well with having a bad impression of Otogizoushi after watching episodes 1 & 2, I'm still watching it in that the following episodes seem to somehow turn my opinions of "perhaps dumping this series around". After watching episode 7, I think I know what changed my mind.

It isn't the animation. Though the character art is still beautiful, I still dislike the line-fill background shades. There's also the occasional 'weird' face with distorted placement of facial features that make the characters look like unfortunate people afflicted with some syndrome. No, the art is nice but with flaws.

It certainly isn't the OP or ED music. Though nice and fitting and somehow matching with the presented era in a modern bent, as well as finding them to my tastes, if I were to like them, I mind as well just get the OSTs instead of opening a 170++MB avi file to listen to them.

It isn't the action. Mainly frame-action where actions are depicted by 'frames' of sequences, it doesn't reflect fluidity. However so far, it is adequate but nothing to crow about.

So, the story? Nothing big or grandoise either. However it is also the strongest point here when coupled with the characters and their interactions! It is a simple fairy tale at the moment. That's all. There is no attempt to put down complicated plot lines that don't match up at the end so far. It is simple. "Girl takes over brother's quest to uphold family's honour with trusty subordinates, gathering other followers. In the meantime, uncovering a court intrigue that is likely betrayal to the emperor, which also involves their quest." With the spew of certain anime series that try to be 'deep' or 'fun', it certainly got sick when plot holes loom in the open or things get way too out of place to accept.

Coupling this so far with a bunch of fellas of contrasting personalities that actually work well as a 'family', it fitted well my tastes. Episode 7 especially marked that well. Kintaro, the youngest 'hidden talent' brother. Sadamitsu, the vagrant younger brother, good at heart but a terrible scoundrel. Tsuna, the strict and rigid to the rules eldest brother whose cold facade hides his inner self. Urabe, the 'sister-in-law' /sister who illustrates the two sides of women, the cold killer and the kind mother. All following the boss, 'Raikou'.

All in all, not something so super to pander over but much better than certain animes out there. Plus it does stand out on its own qualities. Hopefully it'll continue to get better.
Old 2004-08-23, 16:11   Link #62
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
Spoiler for ep 6:
Spoiler:

I think ep7 is good.
Spoiler:

overall I feel Otogizoushi is an above average anime, it's just like the name, a "picture book story", nothing grand, except the art style which I like a lot.
Old 2004-08-24, 07:31   Link #63
wao
OK.

Yeah... At times I get a bit bothered by Otogizoushi, the backgrounds - and I know the animation can be very good if it wants (Personally, I REALLY love the character designs) though they've scrimped on it more than I expected (e.g. the fights in... was it ep 3 or 4? Still frames )... The background can be good and bad at times... and the story itself is simple, but that's what I like about it. It's a simple story done fairly well because it gives me more... "time" to reflect on the characters rather than having to twist my way through the story (though I enjoy that too - sometimes I need a break.).

Plus, Mansairakuisalsoreallyhehehehe - Sorry. <_<

I can get a really good feeling from this anime somehow, and that can be a rather big factor into getting me into a series...

dreamless, why did you think that
Spoiler:
Old 2004-08-24, 11:44   Link #64
dreamless

Hmm... I guess it's because
Spoiler:
Old 2004-08-26, 13:58   Link #65
Tennisprincess15
Keeper of the Rackets

Send a message via AIM to Tennisprincess15 Send a message via Yahoo to Tennisprincess15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
I'm just wondering anyone else following this show?

I really enjoying the dark atmosphere and seriousness, I can sense a deep story line coming from this one, maybe some romance too. ^^

♪ playing the Ed song over and over. ♪
I love this show so far. I've seen the first five episodes, and I am impressed. I also like the beginning and ed songs.
Old 2004-08-28, 13:50   Link #66
wao
OK.

Hmmm, because Mansairaku is so coo~l, I did look up Mansairaku and similar things on WWWJDIC for fun, here's some interesting info (not all from WWWJDIC, some stuff is what I think I know...)

Mansairaku's name (if that is his name) is written out as 万歳楽. Something like "10000 years happiness"? However, 万歳 as "manzai" would mean a "strolling comic dancer". I think it's an intentional misreading of 漫才, a comedian - kind of to add on to the joke, you know, hey, we mixed up your kanji to give you long life, hope ya like it... (okay, it's probably not like that.)

Furthermore on the OST, Mansairaku's theme (if that's his theme) is called "Manzaigou". Now I don't know which gou this is, it might be 号? Or (I'm less sure about these) a "hardened" form of 稿 or 侯 or 公? Hah, like I know...

Don't you think it's rather ironic if Mansairaku's name sort of implies a comic dancer? Mansairaku is lightyears away from comic...
Old 2004-08-28, 14:29   Link #67
dreamless

I always thought Mansairaku here means 1000-years music... or in more common terms, mansai implies eternity, so it's like, eternal music...
Old 2004-08-28, 14:44   Link #68
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

of course it's simply a fairy tale that doesn't make it bad. To me it's just like that Hi no Tori show. The story has already been written and it is now being told in animated form.
Old 2004-08-28, 17:39   Link #69
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
The artwork and the wonderful soundtrack is very impressive, but we do not yet how many episodes is going to be ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisprincess15
I love this show so far. I've seen the first five episodes, and I am impressed. I also like the beginning and ed songs.
Old 2004-08-28, 21:48   Link #70
wao
OK.

dreamless: Yeah, actually I kind of forgot that "raku" can also mean music and stuff. How the hell could I forget that, what with Mansairaku being a sarugakushi? Ah well, anyway....

Episode 7 rocks \o/

And Yamano667, it should be 26 eps according to the production IG webpage for Otogizoushi. Excellent stuff, isn't it?! If it was 13 eps I'd be sad. (They have titles for eps up to 13, and text previews up to 12, and preview pics up to 9. Much better maintained than the MoO site, though this is very simple.)
It's 全26話予定 that's the nice bit, "26 episodes planned in total" And I don't think they'll end off earlier.
Old 2004-08-28, 23:37   Link #71
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Thanks for the webpage translation ..I should learn some Japanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
= Yamano667, it should be 26 eps according to the production IG webpage for Otogizoushi. Excellent stuff, isn't it?! If it was 13 eps I'd be sad. (They have titles for eps up to 13, and text previews up to 12, and preview pics up to 9. Much better maintained than the MoO site, though this is very simple.)
It's 全26話予定 that's the nice bit, "26 episodes planned in total" And I don't think they'll end off earlier.
Old 2004-08-29, 01:15   Link #72
wao
OK.

Heh, after finally understanding the dialogue in episode 7, I think this is my most favourite ep What Mansairaku said was really relevant...
Spoiler:

The way things are going it's great it's a 26 episode show. I think we will see Hikaru move out of that great but perhaps unfounded faith she has in the capital, once she really knows what's going on behind it... and she will only have herself to rely on.
Old 2004-08-29, 01:52   Link #73
Codex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-08-31, 01:32   Link #74
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

For episode 8,
Spoiler for Episode 8:
Old 2004-09-01, 11:15   Link #75
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
I love this show! so far Im still in ep 4 (spanish fansubs are slow, but I like to support them ^_^) and the art style is really great, its like a more stylish Gilgamesh but with an even more fluid animation! Im glad to read that is 26 ep long, since that let the story flows better.
Old 2004-09-01, 14:52   Link #76
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Question

I just heard about this show from my penpal in Tokyo but my question is, Have any groups looked into fansubbing it for us? I understand only the very basics of Japanese so I was just curious. I read through the thread and it sounds like a great show.
Old 2004-09-01, 15:57   Link #77
dreamless

I think episode 8 is a great one
Spoiler:
Old 2004-09-01, 22:56   Link #78
BigFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOfAnime
I just heard about this show from my penpal in Tokyo but my question is, Have any groups looked into fansubbing it for us? I understand only the very basics of Japanese so I was just curious. I read through the thread and it sounds like a great show.
Otogizoushi has been licensed in North America by Media Blaster. Yes, they'll sub it (and dub it). Pleased note that this thread is in DVD & Licensed sub-forum.
Old 2004-09-02, 02:01   Link #79
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFire
Otogizoushi has been licensed in North America by Media Blaster. Yes, they'll sub it (and dub it). Pleased note that this thread is in DVD & Licensed sub-forum.

Thank You I realized too late that it was in the DVD and Licensed sub-forum. Of course it had to be after I posted, (I thought I was in Fansubs) It has been one of those days.......
Old 2004-09-03, 11:47   Link #80
wao
OK.

Hehehe, episode 9 has more exciting ness (Happiness for fans of Mansairaku-who-appears-randomly-out-of-nowhere!!!!!!!!! With screenshots. You really want to see the screenshots!)

Spoiler for Episode 9:

Since I'm so obsessed with Mansairaku (and thus, this scene in Episode 9), I made a makeshift page just for this scene With as many screenshots as I could take!! (yeah yeah, this page may contain spoilers, but I know you have the hots for Mansairaku!)

I'm too lazy to write after that because I spent the whole day trying to do that. The raw is from l33t-raws... I did the "translation", please correct the mistakes (there must be some)!

Conclusion: Mansairaku is so sexy. Fangirl mode!

(note: I'm uploading the pics right now, so about 10 mins after the time of this post, then you can see all the pics.)

EDIT: Said makeshift page has 37 pictures on it. 52K users beware! Also, it being a free brinkster account and me being too lazy to use a proper imagehosting service, don't keep viewing that page repeatedly because I got very little bandwidth... if that matters... 16.7 mb/day...

Last edited by wao; 2004-09-03 at 12:15.
Closed Thread

Tags
historical