AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 02
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 36 19.78%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 26.92%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 43 23.63%
7 out of 10: Good... 32 17.58%
6 out of 10: Average... 16 8.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.10%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 0.55%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-15, 03:26   Link #221
lHyDrAl

Excellent episode, glad I'm not a light novel reader if it induces so much negativity and hate towards an episode which I felt did a fine job as a continuation to the first episode.
lHyDrAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 03:28   Link #222
maelstormCaT

I like the episode.

Sure it skip a lot from the novel, but it still keep the important stuff.
Action is quite good also.

only bad thing is no 'Argo the Rat', but she's a very minor characther in SoA, so it's okay.

I easily gave it an 8.
maelstormCaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 03:28   Link #223
Hmm....

It is natural for us LN reader to nitpick over every detail in adaptation. That is why we love to hear anime-only viewers's opinion. If you said the episode is good, it certainly is good and fulfilled its purpose as a anime episode. We, an LN reader, however, will continue to nitpick over other minor detail change, such is our fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
this thread reafirmed my belief that is something its getting an anime, dont read the original unless you already started, if so all you can do is pray.
Very true, Not being spoiled is alway a blessing.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 03:34   Link #224
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Certainly a very enjoyable episode. The anime is on my list now.

I'm not sure why they make Diabel out to be some sort of saint. It's true that he did care about the other players, but in the end it was his own greed that did him in...even though Kirito knew that Diabel was aiming for the item drop, why he acted like he sacrificed himself or something?

One question regarding SAO. The game is moving at real time right (unlike Accel World)? So wouldn't these players died of starvation or something?
Old 2012-07-15, 03:40   Link #225
Awrya
U mad?

Good episode overall. They did a nice follow up from the first episode and even the skip of the first month was implied, with what is looking like people recruiting for guilds.

Sad thing is they skipped a lot of stuff from the LN, but condensing Aria into one episode, this is roughly what we could have expected.

Did the animation staff try to imply that Diabel wrote those guide books? But then again rushing out alone when the boss still has 1/8 of his total life is rather stupid, he should have just switched groups and attack when the boss's HP was critical.

@LightningZero
What Diabel basically tried to do was inspire hope into others that the game could be beaten. If Kirito told others that Diabel was a beta tester and tried to get LA bonus, all the trust and hope the current group has would be smashed. He then took the blame onto himself to fulfil Diabel's last wish.
I think Kabaya implied in episode 1 that the player's bodies were moved to hospitals and were connected to IV?
Old 2012-07-15, 03:44   Link #226
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
this thread reafirmed my belief that is something its getting an anime, dont read the original unless you already started, if so all you can do is pray.
Pretty much I have a rule that I check out the source material only way before the the show airs or after it's finished airing because if I don't then I know I will turn into one of those fans who keep complaining about the changes.
Old 2012-07-15, 03:47   Link #227
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I just wish every show that was adapted from pre-existing media had separate threads, as I find the threads almost always not worth reading/writing in, due to the overwhelming "oh, it didn't do this, they're probably going to do cover that there, blah blah blah" comparisons between a given anime and its source material.

I know we've sometimes had separate threads in the past. Why did it never become a thing?
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 03:49   Link #228
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
Certainly a very enjoyable episode. The anime is on my list now.

I'm not sure why they make Diabel out to be some sort of saint. It's true that he did care about the other players, but in the end it was his own greed that did him in...even though Kirito knew that Diabel was aiming for the item drop, why he acted like he sacrificed himself or something?

One question regarding SAO. The game is moving at real time right (unlike Accel World)? So wouldn't these players died of starvation or something?
IV drips. Players were all transported to hospitals to ensure their survival.

I guess the anime was trying to make him out to be like a white knight, not wanting to be saved because of his greed. The novels make him out to be far less noble, with his scheming to take the last hit. Didn't quite work out for him.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 03:49   Link #229
ookamigirl

The player numbers have seriously dwindled in the past month..
Clearing the first floor and beating the boss is not a one person thing.
The fight was very interesting to watch.
Things went bad pretty fast..
Asuna & Kirito sure make a really good team ^^

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 03:52   Link #230
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lHyDrAl View Post
Excellent episode, glad I'm not a light novel reader if it induces so much negativity and hate towards an episode which I felt did a fine job as a continuation to the first episode.
Seriously, being a LN reader is suffering. Anime does a bad job of adapting = complain it's bad. Anime does a good job of adapting but cuts out some material because it's necessary = complain it's bad.

Lose/lose situation.

Heck, back when I was watching Fate/Zero, I saw LN readers complaining that details were cut out despite the first season having pacing isuses (too slow) during the second half of the first season.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-07-15 at 04:04. Reason: Wrong word
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 04:05   Link #231
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
We get that things have to be changed, but with little tweaks in the writing here and there, they could've included things that would've made

1)The characterization of Asuna a hell lot more interesting then just a badass heroine
2)The concept of beaters much more significant, and Diabel not-so-noble final act a lot more understandable. The guy came off far too much like a white knight by the end, which made Kirito seem like he was carrying on his will, when really in the original story Kirito made a extremely huge personal sacrifice at that point.

Otherwise, from anime-only view, it's a perfectly fine episode, not quite as good as the first, but decent in it's own right. It's because we read the novels that we see wasted potential, what could've been left out and what should've been prioritised to make the episode even better.
sure, but you'd first have to figure out how to squeeze 50 minutes into 25 minutes :P
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 04:14   Link #232
Blaat

I'm curious to know how are their bodies coping with the situation. Are they getting their nutritions via an IV tube and what about their bodily wastes?
Old 2012-07-15, 04:20   Link #233
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I'm curious to know how are their bodies coping with the situation. Are they getting their nutritions via an IV tube and what about their bodily wastes?
Lol. How is this a mystery? How do you suppose hospitals take care of patients who are sedated, unconscious, or in a coma?

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 04:21   Link #234
Rovert10

Quote:
It was suppose to be mentioned in Ep. 1 that Kayaba gave everybody 2 hours to disconnect to be transferred to a hospital to be hooked up like a coma.

Once again the line divides between Anime Only and LN Readers. I find both sides equally contributing to get a full picture on the state of the episode if it's good or bad.

AO gonna be paranoid about dem LNs. I find it much more interesting to see how they adapt it rather and how enjoyable it is to watch not how "cannon" it is.

Reading LNs isn't lose/lose situations.

LN readers overexagerate their reactions then AO overexagerates how malice we are?

Though LN readers have sentiments for obvious reasons. You have to remember how hyped this series is for them.

Last edited by Rovert10; 2012-07-15 at 04:33.
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 04:32   Link #235
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
How are comatose patients coping today?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 04:41   Link #236
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovert10 View Post
LN readers overexagerate their reactions then AO overexagerates how malice we are?

Though LN readers have sentiments for obvious reasons. You have to remember how hyped this series is for them.
When I see about a third of the votes comprising of 6s or 7s, I don't think I'm over-exaggerating for what was a completely fine episode.

Anyways, I rather hear and would be perfectly fine with criticisms based on the actual anime ep itself instead of "oh they didn't add this and this from the LN, therefore it's disappointing." That's not a criticism of the episode itself, but rather a grudge for not faithfully adapting the source.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 04:51   Link #237
Starlightz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Anyways, I rather hear and would be perfectly fine with criticisms based on the actual anime ep itself instead of "oh they didn't add this and this from the LN, therefore it's disappointing." That's not a criticism of the episode itself, but rather a grudge for not faithfully adapting the source.
That's IS criticism of the episode's storyline, just saying. It's okay to remove small, unimportant bits / characters, but when they even remove important parts, which might lead to misunderstanding or downplaying some characters / part of story, I think we should be able to say the storyline was lacking compared to how it would be.
Don't get me wrong, I (and probably many other LN readers) do like the episode, but I know it could be even greater, that's why I'm disappointed.
Starlightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 04:54   Link #238
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
Lol. How is this a mystery? How do you suppose hospitals take care of patients who are sedated, unconscious, or in a coma?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
How are comatose patients coping today?
They're usually taken care of at a hospital, not at home in their own bed. But...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovert10 View Post
It was suppose to be mentioned in Ep. 1 that Kayaba gave everybody 2 hours to disconnect to be transferred to a hospital to be hooked up like a coma.
this answers my question, thanks! I had an image of the mother or sister changing the main character's diaper.
Old 2012-07-15, 04:57   Link #239
xKeir
Upon a wishing Star

Read the LN, i have no complains. I personally feel that they did missed out a few 'main' points that should answer the many questions anime viewers are asking.. but i guess they didn't have the time.

Thought the episode was perfect.

I'm really liking this show.
Old 2012-07-15, 04:58   Link #240
MagicaLideaL
Madder Sky~
*Graphic Designer

There is a part which i am very confused with which is the town system.

When the player first entered into the game, the town they first started is the beginner town. Isn't the beginner town's castle the place where the bosses stayed? I thought all the bosses are in the same building which is the tall castle in the beginner town. But how come Kirito mentioned that 1 month has passed and they are still unable to find out where the first boss is. If the boss is not inside the beginner town castle, does that mean the game has many towns and the boss are spread all around the world?
MagicaLideaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion