AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-05-17, 13:15   Link #1821
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Now I'm not sure I should be paying this much attention to something so trivial
I personally believe that this is the key out of your hot-blooded rushes against the fandom. Everything you talk about has to do with bashing the popularity of certain shows/animation studios/seiyuu you don't like. But popularity is, actually, a trivial matter. Why should you care, as long as you may turn back and go watch whatever else pleases you? If I had to complain for the popularity shounen series devoid of any content whatsoever, like Naruto or Bleach, get, then I would have to shoot myself in the head to avoid a painful heart attack death.

PS: Then again, I enjoy making fun of whatever series displeases me, but not in the face of that series' fandom, at the risk of being treated as a troll/flamebaiter and getting myself worked up for no reason at all.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 13:23   Link #1822
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I personally believe that this is the key out of your hot-blooded rushes against the fandom. Everything you talk about has to do with bashing the popularity of certain shows/animation studios/seiyuu you don't like. But popularity is, actually, a trivial matter. Why should you care, as long as you may turn back and go watch whatever else pleases you? If I had to complain for the popularity shounen series devoid of any content whatsoever, like Naruto or Bleach, get, then I would have to shoot myself in the head to avoid a painful heart attack death.
Merely curiousity, but now that I've gotten to the bottom of a number of things I'm bored of it, I now know how the game is played and well, it's just kind of silly like you say.

Either way, I guess this is an uncomfortable topic of discussion and people feel I'm doing a rant on the fanbase, but I'm really not, I haven't been for a long time. It's going to take some effort to prove this, but by god I will.

Anyway, I thought it would be a point of interest that people may want to look at (An inverse correlation is intriguing to somebody who likes looking at statistics, but maybe not to others), but it probably isn't worth considering after all. No worries.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 16:27   Link #1823
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Kaioshin... you should read the webcomic Megatokyo. It is full of hyper-conspiracies involving the "system" and "fanboys" (and its full of comedy, romance, satire, homage, pathos, silliness, random whatever, and a robot girl).

In regard to ANN, I have found them particularly *uninformative* when it comes to their reviews and ratings and whether I'd like a series or not.
It's also notorious in particular for the huge like/dislike schism that formed out of its storyline fashion, which is, I guess, weirdly relevant to Lucky Star . Personally I like the comic, but I hate all the discussion and crazy fanboyism that stems around it.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 18:10   Link #1824
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I've been following the anime's standings on ANN ... the series debuted at 500
Where are these rankings? I've only seen top 50 lists at ANN.

Quote:
I've noticed that the change in rankings seem to be the inverse of how popular an episode was.
How do you know the people rating the series have reached the same ep. as you? Unless the rankings are tagged somehow by episode number, many people who are rating it may still be at an earlier episode. Right now torrent stats suggest 25% of viewers haven't started to download ep.6 yet (assuming same final audience size as ep.5 which is of course a big assumption). Also the figures show a steady stream of people still fetching eps.1-5.

Finally, rankings are relative so you need to look at what other series are coming out and whether they just had a very good or bad episode.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 02:37   Link #1825
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

I was running an image search (ゴルフ フィギュア ), looking for one of Konata's figurines (on the top of her PC), and I think I found it (Figure at HobbyStock):

The colors dont match, of course (there are two versions, but the other one doesn't match either), but the pose is the same, and the golf club is a dead giveaway. Maybe there is another version out there, or they messed with the colors.

This makes me think that the other figure does in fact exist (but maybe the colors are off?). Sadly, the pose is very generic, so it's difficult for me to pin point it (the one I found was very recognizable because of the golf club).

Last edited by Nemo_N; 2007-05-18 at 02:42. Reason: Poor english ;_;
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 02:42   Link #1826
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
I was running an image search (ゴルフ フィギュア ), looking for one of Konata's figurines (on the top of her PC), and I think I found one at HobbyStock:

The colors dont match, of course (there are two versions, but the other one doesn't match either), but the pose is the same, and the golf club is a dead giveaway. Maybe there is another version out there, or they messed with the colors.

This makes me think that the other figure does in fact exist (but maybe the colors are off?). Sadly, the pose is very generic, so it's difficult for me to pin point (the one I found was very recognizable because of the golf club).
There's multiple colour versions of Kooh, the general loli powerhouse golfer of the Pangya series. It's a Korean online PC game that was good enough to earn a North American Wii release, that Tecmo apparently botched the difficult on. I'm not sure of it's popularity in Japan, but there is a good chance the figurine on Konata's desk is a knock off of a Pangya one (It can't be identical or it constitutes a breach of Copyright law of course). Note not only the difference in colour, but the fact that the actualy figurine of Kooh has the club postioned at an approximate 45 degree angle, while the one on Konata's desk has the golf club held at a perfect 90 degree angle (or if we want to get technical, 0 degree angle)
Old 2007-05-18, 02:47   Link #1827
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Quote:
(It can't be identical or it constitutes a breach of Copyright law of course).
Gah, yeah, I forgot about the law . They probably wanted to play it safe since it's Korean as you say.
Old 2007-05-18, 03:15   Link #1828
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
Gah, yeah, I forgot about the law . They probably wanted to play it safe since it's Korean as you say.
I can't remember them exactly, but I'm pretty certain Rakisuta has been doing a lot of copyright-dodging throughout its six episodes so far. Most obvious of which, at least to me, would be the BGM they used for the Initial D parody; it started off almost exactly like M.O.V.E.'s Noizy Tribe (the second OP of Initial D Stage 4: Project D, for that matter), but then quickly became its own song altogether, although clearly inspired by M.O.V.E.'s style. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that that BGM is actually an Aaya original.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 04:08   Link #1829
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I guess I thought it was obvious it was Kooh (worship the Kooh) from Pangya (or the Wii port of the game) and didn't require pointing out

Much fun playing the game on the Wii (despite some "bugs" at the harder levels). I keep hoping that they experiment with expansions downloaded via the Web connection of the Wii (ah well... I suppose I could Pangya again).
Old 2007-05-18, 09:40   Link #1830
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I can't remember them exactly, but I'm pretty certain Rakisuta has been doing a lot of copyright-dodging throughout its six episodes so far.
I was thinking more like, since it is a korean trademark, they might not be as relaxed as the japanese are (at least most of the time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I guess I thought it was obvious it was Kooh (worship the Kooh) from Pangya (or the Wii port of the game) and didn't require pointing out
Argh. Well, at least it wasn't a very long, difficult search. .
Old 2007-05-18, 13:40   Link #1831
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Ok, I'm having a hard time getting through this show. Of course the sad thing was the group that subbed it. I don't know who they were but their name wasn't listed as I saw the show on 'VEOH'. But again as much as I love 'Azumanga Daioh', I'm having a hard time with this show. But I'll admit it is very moe-moe. And the damn OP is addictive. But I'm still checking it out here and there. Maybe something will grab me.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."

Last edited by chrno; 2007-05-18 at 13:51.
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 16:31   Link #1832
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
L*S isn't for everyone - I liked it right away with the first episode, but it seems for others it was a bit of an aquired taste that got better and better with each episode... and there are always those who flat-out disliked it and dropped it. L*S also has a lot more references in it than AzuDai ever did, which may be why it's giving you a little trouble getting through.

If you dislike the subbers, why not try a different group? A nice thing about L*S is that there are a few different groups doing it.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 20:42   Link #1833
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

LS is a litely random "slice of life" anime,at first I thought it would be more parody but its a fun show and I love "out of character" Akria.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 04:12   Link #1834
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Speaking of hatred...http://terminal71.com/blog/index.php...=1&disp=single

Okay while technically what he's saying appeared to be true for a while it really isnt anymore (I made a post about this there, but it isn't up yet). There are still other good shows of varying genre's this season despite the apparent push for moe, and they are getting their kudos and what not, and you know the people watching Lucky Star aren't all zombies (maybe some of the stranger ones) and it's just meant to be fun. It's funny because all those shows he's posted are as popular and highly regarded as LS right now if not moreso.

You know what this is, it's like I'm staring at an image of my past self in this blog post, and I'm here to comment and reflect on things.
Old 2007-05-22, 04:19   Link #1835
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:

Okay while technically what he's saying appeared to be true for a while it really isnt anymore (I made a post about this there, but it isn't up yet). There are still other good shows of varying genre's this season despite the apparent push for moe, and they are getting their kudos and what not, and you know the people watching Lucky Star aren't all zombies (maybe some of the stranger ones) and it's just meant to be fun. It's funny because all those shows he's posted are as popular and highly regarded as LS right now if not moreso.

You know what this is, it's like I'm staring at an image of my past self in this blog post, and I'm here to comment and reflect on things.
Nah, you're not that bad. If I may use an analogy, you are the door-to-door Jehovah Witness, while that blogger you linked to is a Television Evangelist.

The fatal mistake he made was assuming that everybody who enjoys Lucky Star thinks the same. Once a person starts generalising, his credibility starts to fall apart.

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-22, 04:32   Link #1836
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Nah, you're not that bad. If I may use an analogy, you are the door-to-door Jehovah Witness, while that blogger you linked to is a Television Evangelist.

The fatal mistake he made was assuming that everybody who enjoys Lucky Star thinks the same. Once a person starts generalising, his credibility starts to fall apart.

Cheers.
Honestly, I've got to say, I'm glad Lucky Star exists, because it's the perfect time for it to exist (With a mix of genres this season, both in terms of the types of shows airing and within the confines of some of those shows themselves) and it's the perfect show to calm some of the tensions that exist between different groups of anime fans with its everything or nothing, in your face yet subtle approach. It stands somewhere in the middle, the perfect olive branch/bridge series that everybody can get interested in if they are willing to try.

The type of series that will have the Kyoto Animation/Moe Hater's saying "Hey they aren't so bad, they even make fun of themselves and moe fans" and the Kyoto Animation/Moe Fans saying "Hey, they aren't so great, they just do what the fan's want, they don't have the high moral standards I thought they did, but they have a fun series here". The other series airing this season can then take care of the mirror side of the equation. For things to work though, everybody and every show needs to do their part. It can't be done by any One person, Bloc, or Studio alone.

Then these two groups can finally come together in the space between the two extremes and my dream will finally be realized. I hope it happens and I cross my fingers. We're staring directly at the gate's of a second golden age of anime for both the medium and the fandom, if only people are willing to turn the handle and open the door.
Old 2007-05-22, 04:35   Link #1837
arkon

Wow. I have to say I'm sorry I ever followed that link. I didn't check to see if the bloggers previous comments were similar but it seemed like a cheap way of getting comments. Won't be returning to that site in a hurry.
arkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 08:14   Link #1838
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I Rotfl @ that link.

Spoiler for no spoilers, just OT:

And in the last half of his 'review', with it just ranting how people can like Lucky Star, all it did was prove one thing: he's just another person who can't grasp the idea that (gasp!) people have varying tastes.

I think I'll leave LS in my best or second best anime of the season list JUST because of that post. Even though I agree Darker than Black is better than LS. ^^;

*giggle* Oh God, what a riot that link was. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 10:05   Link #1839
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

He sounds... very young. Of the "big guns, explosions" kind of immature ... that's just so pathetic, I can't decide if he needs a hug or a thump on the head.

((wow, considering me tearing into a recent poster in another thread - that's downright diplomatic ... and I'm sorry I gave terminal71 a hit by looking))

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-05-22 at 10:53.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 10:36   Link #1840
Furudanuki

Quote:
<snip>
Kaoshin Sama - No, I don't think that you and the author that blog entry are cut from the same bolt of cloth at all. I may sometimes get the impression that you are acting as a spirit-medium for either Don Quixote or Marvin the Depressed Android, but I have never once felt that you could be classified as a mouth-breathing semi-literate juvenile. It is possible to have wide differences of opinion about a great many things and still engage in a civil discourse. An ability which, unlike youself, I doubt the blog "writer" possesses in any measure.

Regarding the blog entry itself...

"Anime fans are turning into retards". Hmmmm, judging from the content of that "article" I would have to conclude that the author's conversion process has succeeded entirely too well, though he does still claim to enjoy "Philosophic storyes [sic]". The fact that my taste in entertainment varies greatly from someone who has difficulty composing a sentence fragment without including at least one misspelled profanity gives me a warm comforting glow that will stay with me for the rest of the day. If this is an example of the thought processes engendered by watching "badass" anime then I shall have to seriously consider dropping any shows of that nature I am currently following in order to avoid contamination. I passed through adolescence a long time ago. I have grown beyond the point where everything I watch must include fights, explosions, or a car chase in order to be considered worthwhile. And I don't harbor a secret fear that enjoying the presence of femininity in anything other than the crudest sexual context will sap my manly vigor and give me cooties as well.

P.S. to everyone - Wow, longest rant from me in a while. Sorry I haven't had much presence on AS of late. I'm undergoing treatment for damaged disc in my neck which puts pressure on a nerve leading to my left arm. Lots of fun - sort of like having carpal tunnel from the shoulder down to the fingertips - and not very compatible with long keyboard sessions. Plus the drugs I sometimes have to take are not designed with coherent writing ability in mind. But my doctor has finally convinced the health insurance company to let her do an MRI, so hopefully they can pinpoint the problem and fix it before too much more time goes by.

Last edited by Furudanuki; 2007-05-22 at 10:48. Reason: Swapped profanity for obscenity...
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen