AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-09-07, 09:50   Link #1
zolmaster

Oldest Online Fansub Group?

Hey guys, I am doing a research project in which I am exploring the effects of digitality upon animation and access to anime, so I need to know, does any1 know which fansubbers are the oldest ones online? I am quite interested in doing an interview via email with some of these guys!

Thanks in advance
Rowan aka Zolmaster
zolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 11:02   Link #2
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

Send a message via AIM to Uska Send a message via Yahoo to Uska
I'm not sure myself but I beleive it to be Anime-Fansubs.
Uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 11:03   Link #3
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolmaster
Hey guys, I am doing a research project in which I am exploring the effects of digitality upon animation and access to anime, so I need to know, does any1 know which fansubbers are the oldest ones online? I am quite interested in doing an interview via email with some of these guys!

Thanks in advance
Rowan aka Zolmaster
Hmm...

I dunno which one is the oldest exactly, but there's a fellow who posts on here by the nick of Access who has been digisubbing pretty much since the start in a variety of fansub groups. I suggest you seek him out for your interview.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 11:14   Link #4
satsuke
Central Anime

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Rowan aka Zolmaster

I suppose we should define what constitutes digisubbing or not.

I mean I've seen downloadable MPEGs for the last 6 years or so from groups like Sachi's Distribution (mamoto shugoggetan et al) and some of our old stuff <Risky Safety prior to it's licensing, Initial D, Macross 7, Touch etc.(Central Anime).

So are you asking about pure digisubs<digitial capture, digital subtitle, computer file>, encodes from tapes or the start of the whole "scene" as it exists today.
satsuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 11:49   Link #5
Zarxrax
Anime-Fansubs

The oldest is probably animefactory, I believe.
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 12:13   Link #6
hooliganj
Team Player

Not sure about digisubbers, but Central Anime and the Technogirls have both been around since long before digisubbing became the thing to do.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 12:28   Link #7
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Wasn't Anime-Fansubs' Love Hina the thing that started it all?
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 12:46   Link #8
Zarxrax
Anime-Fansubs

While anime-fansubs was indeed "one of the originals", there was at least anime factory before us.
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 12:47   Link #9
lamer_de

The .nfos from HQA state they started in 99, so they're pretty old, too.

CU,
lamer_de
Old 2004-09-07, 12:49   Link #10
Meatwad
Banned

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Rowan aka Zolmaster
Depends EXACTLY on what you are looking for. Some of the oldest "online" were ppl that sold VHS fansubs online, then there were VHS Fansub cappers, then there were old UNNAMED groups that did lots of subs with JUST the ep subs, not credits, no nothing, THEN groups with names came out.....I don't think you will find the FIRST digisubbers tho cuz they were probablly unnamed...
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 13:09   Link #11
zolmaster

thanx guys, im specifically looking for guys who do digi-subs, since technically the old VHS fansubs are considered analogue format (even if they did use pcs to do it, you still had to get it on VHS) so yeah, any guys who do DIGI-subs
zolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 13:51   Link #12
Jas

Earliest forms of digital anime that were not just simple captures of an analog source that I'm aware of were actually realmedia files with realtext subtitles.

Earliest such a project that I know of is Legend of the Galactic Heroes project, but they used existing scripts from VHS fansubs groups. I actually managed to find the date for their first release: 04-27-1999.

The first project that I'm sure did their own translations is LunaArts anime's Adventures of Mini-Goddess. That project began in mid-to-late 1999 and they actually did translations for multiple languages. One episode at least had subtitles in English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portugese, Spanish and Swedish. The number of languages diminished later on though.

There were actually quite a lot of similar projects, often done by a single individual I think. I'm aware of (and have/had files of) at least Bubblegum Crisis 2040, Candidate for Goddess, Cowboy Bebop, Hana yori Dango, Love Hina and Trigun. For most of them I'm not sure where the translations originated or when exacly they were done (I'd guess most were done during 1999 and early 2000). Some also used SMI/SAMI subtitles and ASF (and later DivX/nAVI/SMR in AVI). Digi Charat was done like this at least.

The earliest divx avi file with hard subtitles that I know of was done by animefactory (like some people already mentioned). The first thing that I got from them was Vision of Escaflowne the Movie, but I think Love Hina at least was done before that. This was I think mid 2000. The number of groups/individuals doing divx fansubs rose quite quickly afer that, but unfortunately I don't really remember most of their names.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 13:56   Link #13
Oujirou
イルージョン

Send a message via MSN to Oujirou
Wasn't ADV a fansub group before they turned into a company? How long ago was that?
Oujirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 14:09   Link #14
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Oh boy... the oldest fansub group I can remember is probably either Anime-Fansubs or Sachi. I bought several videos from Sachi, but I don't think they ever got into digisubbing. AnimeOne is also a pretty old group; I remember them doing Infinite Ryvius.

I hated watching the realmedia digisubs, though. The way softsubs were handled then were so... ugh. I still have scripts printed out from those days so I could avoid turning on the softsubs.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 14:18   Link #15
Meatwad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oujirou
Wasn't ADV a fansub group before they turned into a company? How long ago was that?
No, ADV was a regular company, they did Si-Fi Shows before they EVER did anime. You are probably thinking of CPM (Central Park Media) who's founder used to be a fansubber back in the day.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 14:20   Link #16
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

Aside from the ones people have mentioned, E-F keeps popping into my head as an oldie group. o.o Of course, I haven't been following digisubs for that long, so...
crumja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 14:59   Link #17
ichido reichan

Let's not forget US RENDITIONS, a small anime company that released a couple of interesting tapes that are almost impossible to find now, like the complete Gunbuster between others.
ichido reichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 15:28   Link #18
satsuke
Central Anime

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Rowan aka Zolmaster

We could just discuss what the effect is anyway

Old way .. only way to get anime was to know somebody who knew somebody who could get tapes .. or send tapes to somebody and hope to god they got around to making copies for you.

So the problem was distribution .. and with the difficulty in distribution came a like limit on the number of people who would be interested in anime.

With the internet, and more recently bittorrent, the distribution is effectively free for the supplier and free to the consumer(of anime).

More available product and no cost = explosive growth as we've seen.

You will notice of course that with a number of exceptions, the breadth and diversity of releases and shows has become great, but the depth of those releases drops off dramatically a few shows in because of the way people are (fansub groups that form ad-hoc and dissolve as the members ebb and flow).

Satsuke
satsuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 17:28   Link #19
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Rowan aka Zolmaster
I don't remember who is first to release online, but I doubt that any of those original groups still exist. The original digisubs were these tiny little rm files with awful quality. I think that Inuyasha or Kadocha were probably among the first digisubs. It was only a few years ago with the development of "DivX ;)" that video quality became an issue.

Is there anyone here who actually released rm fansubs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
Not sure about digisubbers, but Central Anime and the Technogirls have both been around since long before digisubbing became the thing to do.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Technogirls only release on VHS and even have little disclaimers on their tapes now asking people not to covert them into digital copies because they want to stay on VHS only. Since this is a project about the impact of digitality I don't think that they are relevant.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 18:43   Link #20
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Technogirls only release on VHS and even have little disclaimers on their tapes now asking people not to covert them into digital copies because they want to stay on VHS only. Since this is a project about the impact of digitality I don't think that they are relevant.
I'd forgotten that little warning, you're correct about that. I would think that finding out why they actively refuse to go digital might be more relevant to the project than most of the info you'd get from modern digi-subbers, but I'm not the one doing the report, so I don't know what he's looking for.

It is true that Central has been around since before the digital times, and is currently releasing some of their old stuff in DivX format. That would be another unique perspective, the group that has used both models and could help compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad
No, ADV was a regular company, they did Si-Fi Shows before they EVER did anime. You are probably thinking of CPM (Central Park Media) who's founder used to be a fansubber back in the day.
Nope. ADV is indeed a case of fans going pro. Their very first catalogue release was Devil Hunter Yohko, a single episode, sub-only VHS release that a friend of mine proudly features as a part of his collection, no matter how often I tell him how dumb that show was. And then he went and bought the anniversary DVD they released last year. I'm tellin' ya, there's no helpin' some people.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote