AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-10-03, 02:43   Link #16401
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't someone already started a Nanoha/Negima fic here anyway? I distinctly remember one Negima character turning Caro to stone.
Old 2009-10-03, 02:44   Link #16402
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

@Funya: Only Chao's little experiment was big enough to overwhelm the shrouding that magic society put in place to keep itself hidden. In fact, the seal of magic must be really really really good to escape TSAB's worm cams that can look into Nanoha's past before she became a mage.

@Discussion: Never mind me fanon. Let's work on his. So... A's happens after Negima ends, or after the magic society arcs? Because before the school festival, I don't see an appropriate entry point for Nanoha. In fact, I don't see how the plots can intertwine without affect progression thereafter. Maybe just a short fic about Fate investigating and due to certain reasons (for the greater good?) decide to bury the investigation?
Old 2009-10-03, 03:24   Link #16403
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
yeah those worm cams are weird, but other than that. fate report? yeah thats a classic ending

"And what became of so and so? thats a story for another day." oh wait thats not it

"How did that cake get there?Why did that snail run for president? Perhaps some stories are better left unexplained" hmm one more try

" I've investigated many things. One thing I've learned throughout my years. Some things are better left alone." Hmm maybe accent with burning a file folder?

tho i wonder what tsab shredders are made of. Heh, that's how the tsab isn't corrupt, no paper shredders!

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 04:25   Link #16404
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by windfalcon View Post
I see the 'Linker Core' as something every being has, since the Knights even take it from animals. Large, dangerous animals, but animals nonetheless. It's only the accessing of and training with said core that makes it stronger, which is no different from a young mage accessing their magic and slowly developing it. Mid-Childan mages tend to focus heavily on their devices, but this makes for a good transition into a Battle mage/Magic Swordsman type style for many.
The Devil's in the details as it always is. One problem with your idea here is that there are a number of high ranking Bureau officers who are not mages. Considering how integral magic is to Bureau operations, it's hard to believe any Bureau officer wouldn't take up the training to become even a weak mage in order to be more effective and thus more useful to the Bureau, if it were possible for just any plain human to train up their Linker Core. That and the fact that people in the Bureau keep complaining about the shortage of mages suggest that non-mages simply can't access their Linker Cores at all.
You might have a better time going with the Negimaverse magicians found methods of accessing magic without using Linker Cores and the Bureau is very interested in their methods.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 05:14   Link #16405
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Negima magic isn't magic, its ESP! Hence why everyone can be a mage however weak, and martial arts can come close to magic, and they don't need linker cores! They use the same energy as the combat cyborgs which is definitely different from mana!

It's all in the head!
Old 2009-10-03, 05:15   Link #16406
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Ah, he broke. Guess that was expected, what with Railgun airing and all.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 05:20   Link #16407
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

*Is shocked back to normal*

...but you just never know when Khrack hits... And I thought it was quite valid an assumption too...
Old 2009-10-03, 05:29   Link #16408
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Not quite. Remember, one ability per psychic. Negima magic allows for multiple.
Old 2009-10-03, 05:36   Link #16409
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
And the conclusion was that the two were still very much alike, as Nanohaverse also has magic possible without devices, just not common. The only difference between the two being the presence of Linker Cores in order to cast magic in Nanohaverse... while in Negimaverse almost anyone can learn magic. That's the major difference we need to iron out.
Ehm... IIRC almost everyone in Nanoha possess low-grade linker core, just a F-E class one. So no useful magic, just some day-to-day routines. And it's easy to see why they not pursue training - not everybody good at math after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
That and the fact that people in the Bureau keep complaining about the shortage of mages suggest that non-mages simply can't access their Linker Cores at all.
1. Electric car wouldn't work from battery for wristwatch. You can't do anything useful except for some tricks with E-class linker core.
2. Not everybody good at math.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 05:44   Link #16410
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Not quite. Remember, one ability per psychic. Negima magic allows for multiple.
What is that rule just doesn't apply to Negima World? ESP isn't just the domain of To Aru alone, and i'm not keen on bringing in yet another world into the mix.

I have seen ESPers do really strange things when all they need to do is replace reality with their own delusion. You end up with something quite like magic but running on a different power source.

Another way to interpret them is with combat cyborgs, in that Negima World magic is just loads of IS, just that this set of variations can be learned? Or that Negima World mages know something about teaching IS that TSAB doesn't, hence why their IS magic evolved differently from TSAB.

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2009-10-03 at 06:02.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 05:54   Link #16411
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
Ehm... IIRC almost everyone in Nanoha possess low-grade linker core, just a F-E class one. So no useful magic, just some day-to-day routines. And it's easy to see why they not pursue training - not everybody good at math after all.
Except that Regius flat out says he has no magic. Subaru also said her father, Genya, and his entire family line has no magic. There's also Earth, which has been noted repeatedly to be pretty much devoid of magic.

Though if you have a source saying otherwise, I'll gladly start retconning that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
What is that rule just doesn't apply to Negima World? ESP isn't just the domain of To Aru alone, and I have seen ESPers do really strange things when all they need to do is replace reality with their own delusion. You end up with something quite like magic but running on a different power source.
*shakes head* Lets not shoehorn something in the Negimaverse that really doesn't fit. The Negimaverse magic is magic, it has been stated to be magic, to use magical energy, to use incantations and who knows what else. Negima magic is magic.
Old 2009-10-03, 06:11   Link #16412
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Edited my post Keroko. =P

Looks like it's just them mages in Negima no Sekai knowing something about magic that TSAB don't. They might even intend to keep it that way, and hence why they wish to stay hidden from TSAB knowledge. They might even go out of their way to destroy any attempt by the TSAB to learn or discover them, if the latest manga chapter is anything to go by...

Fate disappears while investigating an incident on Earth. The rest of the cast slowly start their own checks... And find something they didn't quite expect. However, now that they know of Earth's dark secret, they are in danger too.

Sounds like a plotbunny to me.
Old 2009-10-03, 08:08   Link #16413
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

It's baaaack. Partly thanks to spawn for even mentioning it, which brought my creativity and motivation up.

Chapter 11 has been "lost in space" so to say and only needed a few adjustments. Chapter 12 is almost done too and I'll kick myself in the arse to get on with it.

Spoiler for Chapter 11 - Code:

Last edited by NorthernFallout; 2009-10-03 at 17:37.
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 09:54   Link #16414
Kurush

Send a message via MSN to Kurush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't someone already started a Nanoha/Negima fic here anyway? I distinctly remember one Negima character turning Caro to stone.
That was me. The link to my crossover is here somewhere.
Kurush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 09:56   Link #16415
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurush View Post
That was me. The link to my crossover is here somewhere.
I'll keep reading it...

Just as long as you have someone get totally confused when both Fates are in the same area. That so would fit the humor of Negima. (and even the bits of humor in Nanoha. *Points to As and Nanoha's face when she yelled at Vita for not getting her name right.*)

Edit: I, of course, am not serious about that. I just want to see it.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 19:11   Link #16416
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Except that Regius flat out says he has no magic. Subaru also said her father, Genya, and his entire family line has no magic. There's also Earth, which has been noted repeatedly to be pretty much devoid of magic.
IIRC it was said that they are not mages. Different thing IMHO.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 20:53   Link #16417
Jimmy C

If you paid attention to their (Genya and Regius') lines, you can tell they can't use magic in addition to not being mages. Else they wouldn't be talking about mages the way they do.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 21:24   Link #16418
windfalcon
Crossover Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
I'll keep reading it...

Just as long as you have someone get totally confused when both Fates are in the same area. That so would fit the humor of Negima. (and even the bits of humor in Nanoha. *Points to As and Nanoha's face when she yelled at Vita for not getting her name right.*)

Edit: I, of course, am not serious about that. I just want to see it.
NANYA! *boggles* Never expected to see another TFFer round here! How goes?

And yeah... the idea of both Fates facing off is something that crossed my mind along with a multitude of bad fate based pun titles. It made my head hurt so much that I dropped the idea at the time.
windfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 21:40   Link #16419
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfalcon View Post
NANYA! *boggles* Never expected to see another TFFer round here! How goes?
*laughs* It goes. It goes. this is where I co-write the "Day in the Life" story with RadiantBeam. Good to see you here, too, windfalcon.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 21:43   Link #16420
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
IIRC it was said that they are not mages. Different thing IMHO.
Regius says, quite literally, that he doesn't have any magical power (mahou no chikara wa nai). Subaru flatly says that her father doesn't have any magic at all (maryouku zero). They're clearly talking about their inability to use magic, not their choice.

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha