Old 2011-05-18, 14:30   Link #21
marvelB

^Yeah, I checked out the first chap, as well:

Spoiler:
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 09:51   Link #22
marvelB

Time to bump!

'Kay, the spoiler for chapter 2 of Jojolion is out, and what's revealed is a doozy:

Spoiler:
Old 2011-06-17, 17:57   Link #23
ellifeedn
Thinker

I spit out my drink reading that spoiler. Bravo Araki.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 18:21   Link #24
GreatTeacherKen

I got to admit, I shat bricks reading that.

Spoiler for Part 4/ Deadman Questions:
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 21:50   Link #25
marvelB

^I've been wondering about that myself, but honestly it's still too early to jump to that conclusion at this point....

Oh, and another neat little tidbit:

Spoiler:

Edit: Oh yeah, may as well post this, too:

Spoiler:

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-06-17 at 22:32.
Old 2011-06-18, 03:26   Link #26
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for chapter 2:
Old 2011-06-21, 12:09   Link #27
marvelB

So the raw for chapter 2 came out, and I came across a small summary:

Spoiler for chapter 2:

Edit: LOL, figures that I'd find a full scanlation RIGHT after making this post!
Old 2011-06-21, 12:33   Link #28
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for ch 2:
Old 2011-06-21, 13:20   Link #29
marvelB

^

Spoiler for chapter 2:
Old 2011-07-18, 11:43   Link #30
marvelB

Eeeeet's a-bumpin' time! The next Jojolion is out, and things get even weirder this time around:

Spoiler for chapter 3:
Old 2011-07-20, 10:23   Link #31
ellifeedn
Thinker

Is this the first time the series has shown nudity?
Old 2011-07-20, 10:58   Link #32
marvelB

^As in female nudity? To be honest.... I kinda forgot (which reminds me, I gotta backtrack through the older chapters sometime soon). I know Araki does male nudity from time to time though (obviously censored, of course). However, I do recall an old one-shot manga he did prior to Jojo called Gorgeous Irene that had boobies (and this one villain who had to be the ugliest chick I've ever seen).....

Anyway, now that a translation for chapter 3 is out:

Spoiler for chapter 3:
Old 2011-07-20, 15:31   Link #33
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^As in female nudity? To be honest.... I kinda forgot (which reminds me, I gotta backtrack through the older chapters sometime soon). I know Araki does male nudity from time to time though (obviously censored, of course). However, I do recall an old one-shot manga he did prior to Jojo called Gorgeous Irene that had boobies (and this one villain who had to be the ugliest chick I've ever seen).....

Anyway, now that a translation for chapter 3 is out:

Spoiler for chapter 3:
I'm pretty sure that's the first time we see a woman's nipples in Jojo. Kinda took me by surprise.

Spoiler for chapter 3:
Old 2011-07-20, 19:23   Link #34
GreatTeacherKen

I think we do see one of Lucy Steel's nipples in Steel Ball Run during chapter 62: Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. It's not very noticeable since she's in a dark room at the time.

It happens

Spoiler for Steel ball Run chapter 62:
Old 2011-07-20, 19:28   Link #35
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I've got a confession to make: I've never successfully read Jojo.

Don't get me wrong, I tried several times. And don't get me even more wrong, this is definitely not a bash Jojo post. Rather, I have a dilemma: I've just started Jojolion, through chapter 3, it's strange beyond comprehension. There's a main character who looks like a fabulous African-American superstar (Prince?) with strange body issues, there's strange things happening, a Stands power (I imagine I have to read the earlier Jojo arcs to get this, right?), and of course the overall art style which is indisputably one-of-a-kind. Oh, and the spoiler above put forth a name I expect I should recognize and is apparently a shocking revelation for old-time fans. It's crazy weird, crazy crazy weird.

Now, I know of Jojo's stature as a manga; I know a bit about its overall structure as separate story arcs with different characters; I think if I managed to read it "successfully" I might even come to swear by it like its fans do. But the hurdle, the "learning curve," it's bloody high. It's so, well, bizarre, the pacing, the art, the character designs and their figure and movements and reactions -- not just Jojolion (which taken alone would just be a really strange and interesting manga), but the whole saga.

As such, what would you veterans recommend for a novice like me? Should I continue with Jojolion and ride with it as it develops "real-time"? Should I start somewhere else in the series? What sort of mindset is required to overcome the first hurdle so I can get on with enjoying it?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 19:46   Link #36
ellifeedn
Thinker

^ Each arc is usually stand alone with a few callbacks to let the reader know it's in the same bizarre universe. In order to understand the various references and quirks in Jojolion (part 8), you would need to read the fourth part. I think you should start with the third part just to understand how stands work and is the point where the series gains its identity, but you'd need to get used to the older style of shonen artwork. Overall the series is, in my opinion, gloriously awesome.
Old 2011-07-20, 19:48   Link #37
GreatTeacherKen

@Irenicus

Well Jojo has always been over the top crazy and weird; it definitely lives up to the bizarre in the title, so that's something you'll probably have to accept in order to enjoy it. The story arcs all feature different heroes, villains, and plots, so for the most part, you don't have to read them in order though a few plot points will make more sense if you've followed the series from the beginning.

I'd say the best places to start are:

The very beginning with Part 1 Phantom Blood. The art work is not as good as later volumes and the pacing may seem slow for the first few chapters, but, at least for me, it really picks up around the Jonathon vs Vampire Dio fight in chapter 17 or so. It's also the shortest story arc, only 44 chapters long.

Part 2 Battle Tendency- it's the most stand alone story arc.

Part 3 Stardust Crusaders- which is where the series' famous Stands are introduced for the first time. It gives away Part 1's ending though.

Part 7 Steel Ball Run-- it's a sequel/reboot/alternate universe kind of thing.

Since Jojolion has only just started, I recommend putting it on hold for now and start with some of the above arcs.
Old 2011-07-20, 21:23   Link #38
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

So, I should either start at Part 1, 2, 3, or 7?

*Psyduck'd*

I don't have a problem with old shounen art styles, though really Jojo's art is beyond anything I've ever seen. I guess if Part 3 is where it "gains its identity" then Part 3 is where I'll start.

Will report back on the results...sometime. I think it's probably best if I start reading Jojo when the moon is fully waxed and the fey mood touches. Wish me luck, gentlemen.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 21:55   Link #39
GreatTeacherKen

^^

If you want to be totally spoiler free, then I think Part 1 would be the best though if you've already done research on the series you might have figured out how it ends already.

Araki's art style has changed a lot over the years, to the point that some story arcs look completely different from each other. I guess the simplest way to put is, Parts 1-3 have super muscular men a la Fist of the North Star, Part 4 is sort of a transition period, Parts 5 onwards goes for a more flamboyant style.

Well, in any case, hope you like it.
Old 2011-07-21, 10:17   Link #40
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

If you're unsure whether you'll like Jojo, I'd say you should start with Steel Ball Run, since:

- It's a reboot, so you won't get spoiled about former parts. There are some nods to previous parts, but nothing too important. You won't lose anything by not knowing about them, unlike with Jojolion where the references seem relevant.
- What makes Jojo so unique (the humor, the stands, the smart battles, the WTF,...) is all there whereas part 1 is completely different from the rest of the manga, and might give you the wrong idea about what Jojo is.
- It's one of the very best part of the manga.
- Gyro motherfucking Zeppeli.

Tags
action, adventure