Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-04-14, 18:29   Link #1621
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
The only successful advertising that YEN has done over their debut to light novels is getting the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya series to the states but there's many popular titles that have not got their chance to our english bookshelf (
Fate/Zero anyone?) The internet is my only source to asian literature and others.
Also Spice & Wolf, so agreed that it is likely that hard working amateurs will remain the primary source for such things.
Old 2013-04-16, 11:13   Link #1622
Solafighter
Hige

The last two weeks, I have read the first eight volumes of the light novels of Oreimo. The story, which I already knew from the anime adaption felt really like, that at at part nothing big changed. Slowing passing the 6th volume and the 7th volume and of course, the 8th novel, it really put me through an rollercoaster ride. Many things happened, that I never expected to happen.

To make it short, I never thought, it would get that interesting and addicting. I hope to read the volumes 9, 10 and 11!
Old 2013-04-16, 21:16   Link #1623
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
The last two weeks, I have read the first eight volumes of the light novels of Oreimo. The story, which I already knew from the anime adaption felt really like, that at at part nothing big changed. Slowing passing the 6th volume and the 7th volume and of course, the 8th novel, it really put me through an rollercoaster ride. Many things happened, that I never expected to happen.

To make it short, I never thought, it would get that interesting and addicting. I hope to read the volumes 9, 10 and 11!
Actually, volume 3 was quite different from the anime.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 02:44   Link #1624
Somethindarker
Super Senior Elder Member

From a professional stand point I can attest to the fact that the editor, who represents the actual publisher, has final say on how the story will play out or end. So if the writer turns in something the editor doesn't like the company usually takes his word for it, now I don't know exactly how much sway the writer has with the company, but from what I know of japanese publishing houses it doesn't amount to much. From what works I know of from Dengeki they don't usually have those dark taboo light novels, at least from the catalogue of theirs I've read(well except maybe Boogiepop). If you want to have an idea of the ending look at the publisher and editors history of releases, granted it's not 100% accurate but at least it's an idea, it's a start.

Now from a personal standpoint I doubt there will be an incest end Oreimo has been a light hearted funny comedy, usually incest ends will have more serious stories and darker situations. Plus, barring the imoutocons, the story ending with KyouXKiri would leave a sour taste in the mouth of alot of people. These are just my two cents take it or leave it.
Somethindarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 05:40   Link #1625
icebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethindarker View Post
From what works I know of from Dengeki they don't usually have those dark taboo light novels
That's exactly how I felt reading Dengeki novels, they intentionally try to avoid those dark taboos. That's why I'm surprised at first to see Oreimo, which I assumed to be an incest work, under Dengeki Bunko. Another thing I realized is that Dengeki novels tend to have some kind of strong main driving force behind their plots (compared to something like.. Baka to Test or Nyaruko-san).

It's a little hard to guess the ending from Oreimo's editor (Miki Kazuma) as he has quite a variety of genres under his wing. I presume most of the works given to him has either problematic writers (Kamachi Kazuma who aims to be "the laziest writer", Kawahara Reki and his sex/rape scenes, Iruma Hitoma and Satou Tsutomu's Denpa level..) or potentially problematic content (Personal opinion, I don't see anything wrong with Fushimi, it might be possible excessive indication of incest in the novels that the publisher is worried about.)
icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 07:21   Link #1626
Somethindarker
Super Senior Elder Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebreaker View Post
That's exactly how I felt reading Dengeki novels, they intentionally try to avoid those dark taboos. That's why I'm surprised at first to see Oreimo, which I assumed to be an incest work, under Dengeki Bunko. Another thing I realized is that Dengeki novels tend to have some kind of strong main driving force behind their plots (compared to something like.. Baka to Test or Nyaruko-san).

It's a little hard to guess the ending from Oreimo's editor (Miki Kazuma) as he has quite a variety of genres under his wing. I presume most of the works given to him has either problematic writers (Kamachi Kazuma who aims to be "the laziest writer", Kawahara Reki and his sex/rape scenes, Iruma Hitoma and Satou Tsutomu's Denpa level..) or potentially problematic content (Personal opinion, I don't see anything wrong with Fushimi, it might be possible excessive indication of incest in the novels that the publisher is worried about.)
That's about the only thing I disagree on with your post. The dude writes the novels, manga, short stories, movies/ovas and oversees the anime adaptations, rabble rouser yea but not lazy lol. Anyway Oreimo being a part of Dengeki makes me doubt the incest end, the underlying theme for me is reconciling siblings and psychological and emotional growth.
Somethindarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 07:47   Link #1627
icebreaker

Quote:
That's about the only thing I disagree on with your post. The dude writes the novels, manga, short stories, movies/ovas and oversees the anime adaptations, rabble rouser yea but not lazy lol.
Yeah I know that since I'm a big follower of the Toaru series too. But that's exactly what Kamachi said when he debuted. He's a genius (A little generalization here, but geniuses are typically eccentric and hard to handle), and that's probably why they left him to Miki. He seems to have grown a fair bit (his stories are less disjointed now) under Miki's care. Well this is an Oreimo forum so I don't wish to delve further into it.

Quote:
Anyway Oreimo being a part of Dengeki makes me doubt the incest end, the underlying theme for me is reconciling siblings and psychological and emotional growth.
Agreed. I think Kyousuke's romance is simply a plot device for that.
Old 2013-04-17, 08:03   Link #1628
GVN.Chaos

Quote:

Agreed. I think Kyousuke's romance is simply a plot device for that.
While I also agreed, part of me still want a Kirino-end, or at least a open-end. After so long cheering for her, I couldn't just give up halfway.
Btw, Volume 9 Chapter 2 is uploaded, and please give me your opinions about what volume should I translate next here:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...ion_for_OreImo
GVN.Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 08:22   Link #1629
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

//Fanboi mode
Would like to see Kyousuke accept Ayase's confession and the rest of the novel focus on how it affects Kyousuke and Kirino's relationship.

Either way at some point, Kirino needs to face her affection towards Kyousuke: may it be romantic love or sibling love, she gotta sort it out. I don't think Kyousuke has raised enough flags for a Kirino lover-end though. At best I expect a single Kyousuke to get the kawaii imouto he longed for and the two of them spend a lot of time together... who knows... stuff might happen if they keep playing eroge together and mood is just right ... will leave that to the doujins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVN.Chaos View Post
While I also agreed, part of me still want a Kirino-end, or at least a open-end. After so long cheering for her, I couldn't just give up halfway.
Btw, Volume 9 Chapter 2 is uploaded, and please give me your opinions about what volume should I translate next here:
Ayase volume best volume.
Their mother is such a troll too .
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 08:30   Link #1630
icebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVN.Chaos View Post
You shouldn't have done Volume 9 first! haha
To be honest 10 -> 11 -> 12 would be fine.

By the way, what language are you translating this from? Japanese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
//Fanboi mode
Would like to see Kyousuke accept Ayase's confession and the rest of the novel focus on how it affects Kyousuke and Kirino's relationship..
At least that's not gonna happen. He just gathered up courage to confess in Volume 11.

An Ayase ending (Which at this point I really think is most logical) would possibly pan out like -
Chapter 1 - Kyousuke puts Ayase on hold. Apologizes to Kuroneko while Kuroneko decides (if she hasn't already) to sacrifice for everyone's future as she probably could not handle the balance between Kyousuke and Kirino, while she recognizes Ayase as someone who would be able to. (Kuroneko as always, This will be very painful for anyone to read)

Chapter 2 - Timeskip to after Volume 11, Kyousuke confesses to Ayase (in a bizarre comical fashion?) Afterwards, Kirino officially apologizes to and forgives Kyousuke (Make this as touching as possible).

Chapter 3 - The Winter Comiket where Kuroneko brings the promised new friend, Ayase cosplays, and all the characters assemble.

Chapter 4 - Kirino's departure.

There isn't a character I support more than the other, I'll support any logical ending, it's just that currently I think this is the most logical way to end this series.

Last edited by icebreaker; 2013-04-17 at 09:13.
Old 2013-04-17, 09:32   Link #1631
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Spoiler for Long:

While I am inclined to believe that Ayase end is the most probable and the one I am expecting the most.

It seems very counter intuitive to go with the Ayase end when a major part of the character development has been about the siblings growing relationship. As many think that the incest route is the most improbable which I agree with, the most important thing to validate the relationship of Kirino and Kyousuke as siblings would be for Kirino to accept and let go of her brother.

Which would imply that the reason for Kuroneko's breakup is now settled. As they all grow up and mature and so on and so forth. Choosing Ayase in this situation seems like simply taking the easy way out.

Despite that I still think that the way it has developed Ayase route seems the most likely.

I do agree any thing works for me if it makes sense.
Old 2013-04-17, 09:52   Link #1632
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

An Ayase end would bring forth a major backlash from Kuroneko fans: after having solved the Kirino problem, going for Ayase instead of going back to Kuroneko makes Kyousuke look like an ass.

I think a good end for the novel would be for Kyousuke to be in a stable relationship, but still goes after Kirino after she leaves to Europe: this will be the last proof Kirino wanted of Kyousuke still caring about her even though he has a girlfriend.

(Bonus points if he brings Ayase along)
(and the three of them plays an eroge together... then volumes ends when Ayase and Kirino glaring at Kyousuke when he must choose between the imouto route or the yandere black hair girl route in game...)
Old 2013-04-17, 10:44   Link #1633
GVN.Chaos

Quote:
You shouldn't have done Volume 9 first! haha
To be honest 10 -> 11 -> 12 would be fine.

By the way, what language are you translating this from? Japanese?
As I said, in the end of volume 9 there was a line that confirm Kirino's over sisterly feeling that I considered important enough to do entire volume 9 (I'm a Kirino fan, not Ayase )
GVN.Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 13:57   Link #1634
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
An Ayase end would bring forth a major backlash from Kuroneko fans: after having solved the Kirino problem, going for Ayase instead of going back to Kuroneko makes Kyousuke look like an ass.

I think a good end for the novel would be for Kyousuke to be in a stable relationship, but still goes after Kirino after she leaves to Europe: this will be the last proof Kirino wanted of Kyousuke still caring about her even though he has a girlfriend.
I think I'm basically with you on this one, at least in the broad concept. Keep in mind the illustration Ruri drew of her, Kyousuke, and Kirino together. There's no doubt that Kyousuke has fancied Ayase, but I think it's almost more because he knew she was unobtainable. It's basically like having a crush on an actress or model... which is essentially what it is. I think, when he's forced to make a serious decision about where his heart lies, it makes less sense to head in that direction at this point in the story.

In the upcoming final volume, Kirino and Kyousuke basically have to come to terms with their feelings for each other, and I suspect it'll fall in the "more than siblings, but not quite lovers" camp that it's already in now. And I think Ruri is the one girl who really understands and accepts that more completely than anyone else. I don't think she'd accept a renewed relationship with Kyousuke if Kirino has to run away again for it to happen (considering her role in bringing Kirino back the first time). And/or, if Kirino does insist on going away for a time, I think Ruri would agree to wait to settle things until Kirino returns ("eternal rivals/best friends"), and the novels would end with a timeskip and "Okaeri, Kirino..." *. I think this would keep a nice parallelism between the two "halves" of the work, and tie up most of the loose ends.

Of course, not saying that's the only option... but I think that'd be my bet. We'll know in two months...

* P.S. If the author really wants to troll the readers, he could finish it off with "Tadaima, Kyousuke..."
Old 2013-04-17, 23:17   Link #1635
icebreaker

Ayase is still rejecting the notion of her having feelings for Kyousuke deep into Volume 10 (technically speaking, she's a tsundere not yandere) , I'm a little surprised that she's ready for a Kyousuke confession before the stalker incident. When I look back on what has changed, basically she talked to Kuroneko. From Kuroneko's history, I think Kuroneko basically just forced Ayase to admit that Ayase has feelings for Kyousuke. And the pinch in Volume 12 Prologue, it seems like Kuroneko is determined in forcing Ayase to tell Kirino that Ayase's gonna confess to Kyousuke. Kuroneko is a little like... Kushieda Minori from Toradora.

I'll put it this way - the path is paved for Kyousuke to choose Ayase, probably thanks to to Kuroneko's hardwork, but it depends on him whether he would choose Kuroneko. Both endings are acceptable.

Last edited by icebreaker; 2013-04-17 at 23:38.
Old 2013-04-18, 00:34   Link #1636
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Ayase is still rejecting the notion of her having feelings for Kyousuke
her = Kirino?
Old 2013-04-18, 01:06   Link #1637
icebreaker

Quote:
her = Kirino?
Ayase. I mean Ayase still hasn't realized she has feelings for Kyousuke at that time.
Old 2013-04-18, 01:27   Link #1638
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
And the pinch in Volume 12 Prologue, it seems like Kuroneko is determined in forcing Ayase to tell Kirino that Ayase's gonna confess to Kyousuke.
I'd say that this is basically a red herring that has nothing to do with Ayase, but has everything to do with Kirino. Kuroneko's likely trying to create a sense of urgency so that Kirino will settle things re: Kyousuke once and for all. (At the end of the day, Ruri is Kirino's ally, not Ayase's.) I think it's actually because of this that it's unlikely that Kyousuke will actually end up with Ayase, because it makes little structural sense; using the "threat" of Ayase confessing accomplishes nothing if Ayase does it and Kyousuke says yes. Then both Ruri and Kirino both have to be like "gg" and walk away. It has no parallels to anything else in the story; all the foreshadowing earlier in the narrative is thrown out.

I want to be clear that I don't have anything against Ayase and all, and actually quite liked her true route in the PSP game a lot (one of the best in the game, IMO). But I think it's just not going to happen with the next volume being the last. Of course, time will tell.
Old 2013-04-18, 01:47   Link #1639
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I think Ayase had always "liked" Kyousuke, but its one of those love-hate situations.

When they first met, she is able to recognize Kyousuke as a brother who cares for Kirino a lot despite what when on during their first meeting.

But because of Kyousuke's awkward solution to Kirino's problems (and how he "sexually harasses" her), she gained this disgusted attitude towards Kyousuke - but she is still able to see right past Kyousuke's lie and knows he is only going to such extremes for Kirino. I think over time as similar things happen again and again in various shapes or form, her feelings towards Kyousuke deepened. I am sure Kirino keeps Ayase informed of everything Kyousuke has been up to.

I see her tsun towards Kyousuke as a disguise to hide her actual feelings, and of course, is there for comedy effects.

Then Kyousuke got a girlfriend.

What does she do? Calls him to her room and throws a tantrum. She thought Kyousuke has feelings towards her (why else will he flirt with her all the time and even asked her to marry him?), and she feels betrayed: as if Kyousuke has really lied to her.

Kyousuke x Kuroneko is a rude awakening to Ayase that if she keeps her feelings hidden, Kyousuke *will* slip away from her grasp. The party over at Kyousuke's temporary apartment only confirms that: as it becomes clear there are quite a few strong candidates going after Kyousuke. The sense of urgency would logically raise.

Luckily for her, Kirino has no clue about how Ayase really feels towards Kyousuke, and she was given the duty of taking caring of Kyousuke. So for a while, she pretty much acted as his waifu - and I am sure her feelings towards Kyousuke reached a new height during that period.

The stalker event is a tipping point: Kyousuke demonstrated how he will risk injury and his all important exam for her sake. She now has proof that Kyousuke will act for her similar to how he cherished Kirino for the past year.

Thus the confession.
Old 2013-04-18, 01:48   Link #1640
icebreaker

Quote:
Spoiler for long:
She still doesn't understand "why" is she angry in Volume 9 where it's written in her perspective, and still reacts heavily to "co-habitation" when she first cooked for Kyousuke. But she is already ready for a confession right before the stalker incident. I might have overestimated Kuroneko but I'm seeing this as Kuroneko pulling the strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I'd say that this is basically a red herring that has nothing to do with Ayase, but has everything to do with Kirino. Kuroneko's likely trying to create a sense of urgency so that Kirino will settle things re: Kyousuke once and for all. (At the end of the day, Ruri is Kirino's ally, not Ayase's.) I think it's actually because of this that it's unlikely that Kyousuke will actually end up with Ayase, because it makes little structural sense; using the "threat" of Ayase confessing accomplishes nothing if Ayase does it and Kyousuke says yes. Then both Ruri and Kirino both have to be like "gg" and walk away. It has no parallels to anything else in the story; all the foreshadowing earlier in the narrative is thrown out.

I want to be clear that I don't have anything against Ayase and all, and actually quite liked her true route in the PSP game a lot (one of the best in the game, IMO). But I think it's just not going to happen with the next volume being the last. Of course, time will tell.
I simply think Kuroneko isn't that kind of evil person who would bring a girl into the battlefield planning to slaughter her hopes all along. Both Kyousuke and Kirino sees their "ceremonies" as sign of both of them being good friends.

Tags
comedy, harem, romance, shounen, siblings