AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-06-19, 13:00   Link #41
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Who are some relatively obscure JL members you guys would like to see if a movie was actually released?

For me, it would be Captain Marvel, Green Arrow, Blue Beetle and Hawkgirl.
Old 2012-06-19, 13:23   Link #42
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
Who are some relatively obscure JL members you guys would like to see if a movie was actually released?

For me, it would be Captain Marvel, Green Arrow, Blue Beetle and Hawkgirl.
TBT I would prefer a good swamp thing movie and a firestorm movie. Oh and a teen titans movie would be cool. But adding obscure characters to the movie would requre someintroduction, I mean, it is the Justice League, people will want to know why someone is qualified to join and if he is quite powerful, a good explanation of his superpowers, adding those four would add more than an extra hour of storytelling and risks making the movio s-l-o-w.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 14:39   Link #43
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
TBT I would prefer a good swamp thing movie and a firestorm movie. Oh and a teen titans movie would be cool. But adding obscure characters to the movie would requre someintroduction, I mean, it is the Justice League, people will want to know why someone is qualified to join and if he is quite powerful, a good explanation of his superpowers, adding those four would add more than an extra hour of storytelling and risks making the movio s-l-o-w.
True. Those are just four periphery JL members that I like. I fully understand incorporating all of them well without much back-story would clutter the movie.

A Teen Titans movie could work.
Old 2012-06-19, 17:27   Link #44
antediluvian
Before the Deluge

I would love a new Hellblazer movie. Not the Constantine LA bullshit.
antediluvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 17:33   Link #45
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by antediluvian View Post
I would love a new Hellblazer movie. Not the Constantine LA bullshit.
The moment I saw Constantine (Keanu Reeves) was not blond I knew the movie would suck badly, the same thing about Judge Dredd the moment he took off his helmet >_<
Old 2012-06-19, 18:07   Link #46
jdennis007

With a good enough story you can do the film with a minimum amount of origin story for the characters. The only question is which heroes to put on the team. I would go with Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and the Flash. Wonder Woman and the Flash are the only two who have not had movies but they are established enough to easily bring them in.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 18:40   Link #47
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Flash may or may not need an establishing film. Either you need to establish how the Flash (which version?) got his powers, or you just stick him in the movie when this red blurr suddenly arrives to save one of the other hero's form something or other. If it follows the Timm version, he's the comic relief as he's the least serious of the group and the one that will make wisecracks. (Superman is usually serious if sort of light hearted at times. Batman is always serious these days. Green Lantern....it depends on which one. And Wonder Woman?

Wonder Woman could be introduced like they did in the Tmm version Justice League. She sees something dreadful happening in the world of men and wants to do something about it. Her mother says no, but she gets her lasso and bracelets and goes to help anyway. Her backstory wasn't told fully until several episodes later when it was needed. She's seeemingly nearly as stong as Superman and can fly in most recent versions. She's also rather good in a fist fight and not morally above "just punching the guy".

A good enough script gets you to the point where you don't need to know where or how these heroes came to be. As long as some of them are established and the rest come in and are useful and come off as real heroes....who needs an origin story first?

Martian Manhunter could still be in it earlier enough. He is a shape shifter and could come in almost cameo like without much explaining other than "Oh you are with us...good, can you go take that thing over there out while we beat that other machine down?"

The Seventh member is always the tricky one since it is a toss up who gets that slot. Traditionally it is Aquaman. But Aquaman is the hardest character to justify most of the time. He needs a motivation to help the land dwellers, and a reason he'd be useful in the movie. Talking to the sea creatures (his traditional remarked on power) is generally useless or situational. Him being really strong is not usually mentioned. The Timm version is more interesting that the traditional Aquaman, but he wouldn't be one to team up with the JL easily. Again Hawkgirl was easier to put in, but that was because she fit the introduction story perfectly, and that is what they would need to do. Craft the story so that all the members have a reason to be there.

Besides, most people that will watch the film will already know of at least one version of all these character's origin stories.
Old 2012-06-19, 18:55   Link #48
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Besides, most people that will watch the film will already know of at least one version of all these character's origin stories.
Danger will robinson, Danger! This is not supposed to be a film by geeks for geeks, this will be (hopefully) a blockbuster that will cross national and cultural frontiers. Assuming people will know whatever needs to be known will be the last error such franchise will do. I still remember reading how in the japanese version of "who wants to be a millionarie" how they asked what thing superman is weak against and no one knew *facepalm* if the most well known DC character has so little cultural (or maybe it was a generational problem) penetration imagine the rest.
Old 2012-06-19, 20:52   Link #49
cassidyfenty22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Maybe Man of Steel will be their equivalent to Ironman if they play their cards right.

/dad-joke.
Yeah I would have to agree with you. But if they rush JL in 2 years i get that it will not be as good as the Avengers.
Old 2012-06-19, 22:29   Link #50
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyfenty22 View Post
Yeah I would have to agree with you. But if they rush JL in 2 years i get that it will not be as good as the Avengers.
The 2014 in the title was my own doing (based on vague rumours). We currently have no idea when the movie will be released or if the franchise will start with the Justice League movie or some other film.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 22:31   Link #51
Sumeragi
Banned

What is it with the Animated Movies being massive hits while the Real Action Movies (except Batman) become trash?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 22:40   Link #52
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
What is it with the Animated Movies being massive hits while the Real Action Movies (except Batman) become trash?
Mostly because of the lackluster script (Green Lantern), miscast (Green Lantern), and overall disappointing the fans in some ways (Green Lantern, Superman Returns). Don’t get me start on Joel Schumacher.

Still, Watchmen, Constantine and Red are pretty entertaining though .
Old 2012-06-19, 22:49   Link #53
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
It's a fine balance. Comic characters have a rich history. There is always something good about them or they never would have lasted this long. But there would also be a lot of garbage as well, a legacy left over from multiple time periods and different authors.

The idea has always been to take what's good about the comic character, and leave out the bad, when you make a movie. The problem is that most of the time the choices made were incorrect.
There is no easy formula; what's important is that the person writing the script must both have a good knowledge of the lore, and also be objective enough to see when something needs to be cut or altered. No one wants to see a movie with Bat Shark-Repellents.
Old 2012-06-19, 23:22   Link #54
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The main successful superhero movie I can name is Superman. A lot of it it the script, but also if you can believe the actor is the hero they are meant to be. Christopher Reeves was Superman. He did it very well. While Clark Kent was usually not seen as quite that bumbling or weak, the contrast was really good from a slightly hunched over Clark to the standing tall Superman. It was far more striking than it was in Louis and Clark, where Louis Lane could seem "cosmically stupid" for not noticing that Clark was Superman (though his mother's line about "well they won't be looking at your face" when designing his costume fits the results).

Batman, since 1989, has been dark and serious for the most part. While from the 60s to 80s, Batman himself was always serious...it was a campy serious. The Gothic 40s look suits the Dark Knight. The thing is, with Batman, it usually doesn't matter who is under the suit. If they can fill it out and play dark and serious it is fine. Because in Batman, unlike Superman, it is the villain that makes the film interesting. Both film Jokers were very good at keeping the audiances attention, be it Heath Ledger or Jack Nicholson. Even Mark Hamill's Joker gets a bunch of attention from just the voice work.

A more 1990's era cartoon Batman in live action would need someone in the suit that can do not only a good Batman (the stoic that sometimes has dry humor), but also pull off a decent Bruce Wayne (happier looking rich playboy...and all an act by Batman). That was one thing I liked about Michael Keaton's Batman. He played a good Bruce Wayne. But then Michael Keaton probably could have played just as well as the Joker given his role as Beetlejuice. If he could do that laugh (which I don't recall if he could).

I have no idea who they could get to do Wonder Woman these days. It would be that contrast between serious and hot body that might be difficult. Plus in today's world she'd have a lot of fight scenes rather than lots of running scenes.

Flash? Depends on which version of the Flash. There is the serious Barry Allen version, and there is the less serious Wally West version that are the usual done versions. If you went for JL, without a Flash movie, I'd say go with Wally West as the comic relief. If you want a Flash movie....eh, they'd probably do Barry Allen, because I'm not sure if people would buy a Wally West based movie and take him seriously. I suppose he could remain lighthearted if he was fighting the Trickster or something....

Green Lantern? Sigh....so many versions. They need to find one and get someone thats can play the role. They also need to figure out what role they'd want for the Green Lantern in the JL film. If he is to be serious...pick and serious version. If they want him as comic relief...pick a less serious version. If they want him to be a prick....pick one of those versions.

Aquaman? I'll like that float for a while.

Martian Manhunter usually only has one version, so they don't have many options with him. But he tends to be in the background so that can work to their advantage.

Anyone else? Well that will depend on how the film is structured. Also depends on who they want in the League. Because they could do like the X-men and just change people out for other more popular (or easier to write for) heroes.
Old 2012-06-20, 00:39   Link #55
Xagzan

Quote:
I have no idea who they could get to do Wonder Woman these days. It would be that contrast between serious and hot body that might be difficult. Plus in today's world she'd have a lot of fight scenes rather than lots of running scenes.
I vote Bridget Regan for the role, and yes, I entirely blame deviantart.

Assuming she can act, of course. I haven't really seen her work, so this is more my shallow answer
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-20, 01:06   Link #56
james0246

Quote:
It is really hard to show the size and scope of some of these characters in live action cinema (Superman Returns, no matter the criticism, was the first superhero movie that I felt really showed the scope of a comic book characters powers). To often these characters are purposely de-powered, whether because a mainstream audience does not know their powers, or because it is hard to visualize the power these characters have. But, with the advent of newer technology, it has now become possible for a character like Superman to more believably be as super as he appears in the comics.

Quote:
Anyone else? Well that will depend on how the film is structured. Also depends on who they want in the League. Because they could do like the X-men and just change people out for other more popular (or easier to write for) heroes.
Mister Terrific or Cyborg. I hate to play the race card, but the early JL was decidedly white, and unless they want to change the race of one of the known characters or use a character that has had different incarnations (Green Lantern), they will settle for a known black character and both Mr. Terrific and Cyborg could be compelling additions to the story.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-20, 01:17   Link #57
Sumeragi
Banned

Cyborg has some exposure from both Justice League: Doom and DC Universe Online, so I think he'll be the better option.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-20, 01:35   Link #58
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I wonder if DC is better off just using Smallville as the basis for the JL film...
Hell no. Please, I don't need any convoluted Smallville ish in my JLA film. People were already sick of that show years before it went off the air. I was never interested in that show and I doubt I ever will be. Especially after I've heard about all of the other characters in the DCU that seem to be in there just to be in there.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-20, 06:15   Link #59
Pink Cow
This is my title.

I can't even imagine a good Justice League movie. Not when the only DC movies I liked was Chris Nolan's Batman series.

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-20, 18:22   Link #60
GDB

Quote:
Cyborg has some exposure from both Justice League: Doom and DC Universe Online, so I think he'll be the better option.
He's also in the current iteration of Justice League comics.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote