AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-02-08, 13:43   Link #61
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I'm not sure if pouring stat points into Vitality is worth it though, once you have enough Vitality to be able to heal 1/2-2/3 your health from your estus flask (and not more), more vitality isn't useful. Why not endurance or strength instead?
Spoiler for Vit:

Vitality is useful, because that means less estus usage. It also means I can have my mind somewhere else besides having to constantly stare at my health. Consider it strokes of a blood knight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
So, I've finally made it to the Kiln of the First Flame on NG+, only to find absolutely no pvp going on in the area. I seriously sadfaced, but ill have to try again I guess. I went Dragon Covenant this time, so ill have to pray others actually want to be invaded.
Try Anor Londo. Also, if you wanted pvp you should've chosen Blade of the Darkmoon. They can invade without much thought about the level restriction. If a guy thirty levels below/above you sinned, you can hunt them down and etar off their ears. Or at least try to. The Way of the Dragon is pretty limited as far as I know.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 14:10   Link #62
Asuras
Dictadere~!

I killed Gwyndolin though. :/
Old 2012-02-08, 16:26   Link #63
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
Spoiler for Vit:

Vitality is useful, because that means less estus usage. It also means I can have my mind somewhere else besides having to constantly stare at my health. Consider it strokes of a blood knight.
Eh, I don't buy the estus flask argument, because I've never once run out of Estus Flasks (except early in the game, when I was crap). Particularly if you kindle a bonfire, there's no way you'll use up more then 10 estus flasks in a run if you know what you're doing.

And I don't think Humanity is a legitimate concern, throughout the game you get more then enough humanity to kindle every significant bonfire

Also, the Vit build vs. Endurance build without armor is disengenuous, because that will never happen. You're basically getting rid of the benefit of Endurance in order to prove that "vitality is better", I say, put an endurance build at half encumbrance, and a Vit build at half encumbrance, and see who does best. I bet it's the Endurance.

Besides, with my medium armored character, I haven't encountered anything that one hit kills me. With armor most damage gets absorbed. Which not only means you can take a bigger hit, it means you don't have to do as much healing overall, so your estus flask doesn't get as depleted either.

Furthermore, Endurance has two "bonus" benefits: 1. It increases Stamina. In fact, if it didn't increase Stamina, it wouldn't be worth it to increase endurance. The extra stamina means you can absorb more hits to your shield, and be able to longer attack combos. That makes you stronger both offensively AND defensively. Vitality provides no such benefit.

2. The higher endurance means you can use heavier weapons and shields, making your build more versatile.

Vitality provides very little benefit so long as you have enough health to stop a 1 hit kill, and enough to be able to hold enough health to not waste estus healing. I don't think it's worth going beyond 20 Vitality, because there's just no other benefit barring more health.

Stamina is just as important as health, and it's vital when you're defending yourself with a shield. That's why almost no builds go beyond 40 endurance, stamina stops levelling then.

At 10 endurance you have 90 stamina, at 40 it's 160, that's pretty hefty.

Vitality is more dramatic in it's effects, (goes from 570 at 10 to 1300 at 40), but if you're correctly using your shield, you'll never get that damaged anyway. At most I'd go to 30 Vitality, once I have Estus flasks upgraded to +7 (where they heal 800 a pop), at 30 you have a health of 1100, for 10 more points you only get 200 more hp (whereas 20->30 gives 300).

Endurance clearly beats Vitality.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 17:09   Link #64
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Whoa, that was a long post... Cutting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Endurance clearly beats Vitality.
Okay. It might mean heavier armor and being able to block more thanks to a larger stamina pool, but I don't buy that it outweighs vitality without any kind of argument. There is a limit on how much stamina. You either choose between temporary boosting effects or a shield with less then optimal stats.

Besides, I've never refuted endurances importance. I put points into it. Dexterity is the only thing I don't touch. It limits me to melee and melee only, since I don't touch the magic related stats that often. (i.e. If necessary I raise my attunement to one slot.)

Well, here is my build. Feels like all I'm doing today is being put into a corner so I'll just let a sheet do whatever I'm doing wrong in this debate.

Spoiler for ;:

This has strayed from what I really wanted, which was to know if an Oscar build was viable (elite knight armor, astora straightsword, vit/faith build)?
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 18:35   Link #65
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

The Stamina boosting properties of Endurance stop at 40, increasing endurance further is somewhat pointless after that. But I think that hitting endurance 40 is much more beneficial then vitality. And with a shield like the Eagle Shield, you'll be able to tank almost anything with very low strength, and only a modest encumbrance.

As for my own build, here it is:

Spoiler for build:

I'm exploiting the fact that Enchanted weapons have strong scaling with magic to have good melee damage. Add to that the good ranged damage from spells, and I'm pretty versatile.

Stre and Dex of 16 allow me to weild most weapons, in particular I use Winged Spear a lot. Spear allows you to attack while you hold your shield up, and gives decent damage.

Your own build isn't too bad, my only change is that I'd shift your Vit stats into maxing strength and endurance first. Pushing your strength up to 40 quick is important with a strength build in order to allow you to use the heaviest strength weapons 1 handed, though I haven't put much thought into which of those are the best. Obviously, you'll also need high endurance because those weapons are so heavy, and you'll need the weight allowance to weild them with a shield and a decent set of armor.

I wouldn't dismiss Dex out of hand, Dexterity scales well with a lot of weapons, both melee and ranged. Namely bows, daggers, spears, Katanas and curved swords, Dex also providing decent versatility. But there's not much point in putting lots of points into Dex and strength.

Faith builds also can work well, particularly when you remember all the good spells Faith get (including healing, which is great if you're playing co-op).

However, I don't think Faith gets as good weapon scaling as Intelligence does, most Divine weapons max at C or B scaling. It does provide bonus damage from Divine, however. Faith spells are also arguably better then Magic, because they have a wider variety of effects.

I think a good build for Faith might be to focus on Faith and Endurance, with enough strength or dex to wield your favoured weapon. Vitality is not that required.
Old 2012-06-02, 08:16   Link #66
Ray
Garnet

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Dar...ter-43125.html

Oh, hell yes. I just hope my character isn't too OP for this.. because if he is, I'll probably make a new character for this place.

I was wondering what happened to Artorias..
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 09:27   Link #67
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Awesome. Time for me to die a bit more!
Old 2012-06-02, 17:20   Link #68
Z I O
Keru

I still play this game since the first day it released!
now the online is so much better than before
if someone wants to play with me add me : UltimateZio

Z I O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 17:29   Link #69
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Eh I sold my copy a while back. I'm all about Dragons Dogma now.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:35   Link #70
EmagEvil

Bought it since may 18th for 35 euros, and completely abdicted to it! After that i only played WKC2 once every 3 days to use the tokens, Kyero know what i mean...

... now lv87, right now in the archives/library stage, win only 1 time against the 2nd invader, but lose everytime until now...
EmagEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 08:33   Link #71
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Been a long time since I have played this, I do miss the raging I get from this game.
I wonder if they have fixed the connection stuff... It was almost impossible to join my friend. when we do manage join up. We have to repeat the whole long process trying to get it to work if one of us die every time.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 08:46   Link #72
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaihan View Post
Been a long time since I have played this, I do miss the raging I get from this game.
I wonder if they have fixed the connection stuff... It was almost impossible to join my friend. when we do manage join up. We have to repeat the whole long process trying to get it to work if one of us die every time.
Well, wasn't there a patch that supposedly fixed the online portion of the game? I got my platinum the day before the patch, so I haven't played online since. I also heard that the patch nerfed Lightning weapons and the Crystal Ring Shield. QQ.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:26   Link #73
Ray
Garnet

Artorias of the Abyss Trailer:

Screenshots: http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/12/quic...are-beautiful/

The new area looks pretty big. It sucks that we have to wait so long for it come to the PS3 and 360 as DLC..
Old 2012-06-13, 03:44   Link #74
EmagEvil

October 25th in Japan? Then what about the occidental DLC? At the beginning of 2013?!

... Now lv127, on a new game +, i didn't do all the things to do before the final boss fight(i didn't know it was so direct but here i am...), and most of the time i lose against invaders(stupid frames laging, looks like they teleport behind me! Can't do sh*t...)...
Old 2012-06-20, 08:48   Link #75
EmagEvil

Now lv164, time to do another NG(It would be a NG++), but 1st i want to use Artorias's Greatsword before the final boss fight(can't use it, since my faith is only lv12...)

... And after the NG++, maybe i will be tired of the game...?
Old 2012-06-20, 10:55   Link #76
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmagEvil View Post
Now lv164, time to do another NG(It would be a NG++), but 1st i want to use Artorias's Greatsword before the final boss fight(can't use it, since my faith is only lv12...)

... And after the NG++, maybe i will be tired of the game...?
I'm on NG+++++ and still fond of the game.
Old 2012-06-22, 03:38   Link #77
EmagEvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
I'm on NG+++++ and still fond of the game.
Really? Sorry for sounding rude but won't you getting tired to do the same thing again & again.... Well, that's biased my argument.

... I think the PvP is the thing who keep adding spices.
Old 2012-07-22, 10:36   Link #78
spikexp

Preordered the PC version at greenmangaming for 32$ with a 20% coupons "COSYO-UDIDN-TGET1"

Now waiting for the release at the end of august.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:25   Link #79
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
Preordered the PC version at greenmangaming for 32$ with a 20% coupons "COSYO-UDIDN-TGET1"

Now waiting for the release at the end of august.
Hooo boy. You won't be disappointed.
Old 2012-07-24, 03:24   Link #80
EmagEvil

After doing the ending 5 times and reaching lv286, i'm getting sick of it(died like a moron 2 times in Anor Londo, that trigger me to stop abrutly)...

... Since last week end i bought Demon Souls for only 20 euros, it's not the same graphics & animations, but the essence is still here! Now lv33, in the mines after beating the demon of fire!

Tags
demon's souls sequel, from software, king's field sequel