AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2015-02-05, 08:29   Link #55901
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco6561 View Post
So... what your saying is.... I should go to Russia?
No, but drinking lots of vodka is an option.
And I sure as hell will be drinking tomorrow night after work. Cider or Vodka, haven't picked, yet.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 08:37   Link #55902
demino_hellsin
That one guy

An effective method I hate to use. Is to force yourself to write.

Then let it simmer after some time then read it again. Realize where you went wrong, delete then rewrite. You have to realize that this is not always an optimal solution when you're forcing yourself to write for a second time. It just builds loss of confidence. You do the rewrite after internalizing what you think is worth keeping and what should probably be cut out because it doesn't fit or should be for later use.
Old 2015-02-05, 08:43   Link #55903
coco6561

Hmm ok, I get what your saying. When I finish a part of my chapter, could you read it and give me some constructive criticism?
coco6561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 08:50   Link #55904
demino_hellsin
That one guy

As much constructive criticism as I can give you, you'll also have to come up with your own compromises. What is your core principal in that scenario/scene? What are you trying to achieve in terms of showing your audience?

I'm still only on that level of thinking but I'm willing to help if you're fine with that.
Old 2015-02-05, 09:08   Link #55905
coco6561

Ok. I'll have my thing posted sometime before the day ends.
coco6561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-07, 04:35   Link #55906
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Okay, collated it all in one go. It's pretty much over. I'll do a rewrite for it prior to posting on ff.net

Quote:

<--------------->

IS / Gaiden

<--------------->

The drive back home was long and silent.

<Ren> hated cars. Small, tight spaces that were easily used as traps--she had sabotaged a few in her lifetime. They were necessary for transport, even if the one Haruko drove was too cramped for her tastes. But she had no say in the matter. The doctors were against discharging her from the hospital this early, but were overridden. <Ren> still wore a cast on her arm and had to favor her leg when moving around. She distinctly refused to use a crutch, and walked with only a slight hobble to prove it. The doctors still advised at least another month of bed rest.

The Johohonbu did not spare them that much time.

Any argument Haruko made about their current assignment was quashed; HQ advised they were confident that Sarashiki could do a much better job of protecting Orimura. Reluctantly, Haruko packed up from the hospital and drove off right away. It was a long, quiet trip, as IS Academy and the outlying town was situated two and a half hours away from the Japanese capital. Most of the drive was silent. Neither Kokuto or <Ren> had anything to say as they cruised the highway back. Back to an apartment that was a base, not a home.

<Ren> was the first to finally speak.

"How did the Ministry of Justice meeting go?"

Haruko was not sure whether to be thankful for the break in silence. "Not too well. The meeting lasted three hours." From what Kokuto had heard, the rival Koanchosa-cho wasted no time in accusing the Johohonbu agents of everything from dereliction of duty to outright conspiracy with 'the evil foreign powers'. [i]I can't believe we're being told off by idiots with brains still stuck in the 1930's.[i] Aloud: "I sure as hell am glad I wasn't in that room."

"Their priorities haven't changed much." Humored disgust was in <Ren>'s response. The little car slowed as traffic began to build up. "Doesn't this remind you of how they reacted to the water park fiasco between Fan and Alcott?"

"DON'T remind me about that." Kokuto growled, then stopped. The car waited in the traffic, cautiously purring along when the awkward silence between the two returned. Haruko finally broke after a minute. "You and I both know HQ will remove us both from this assignment."

"Oh? You're not happy with that?" <Ren> did not move. Her limbs still hurt too much. "Wouldn't you rather be assigned somewhere else?"

"This isn't funny, <Ren>! If we're no longer safeguarding Orimura Ichika..."

"Admit it." <Ren> kept a deadpan expression as she spoke, looking out the window with practiced boredom. They were practically in park, as with all the other cars on the road. A lilt of mocking humor grew in her voice. "You enjoy stalking young boys without their knowledge."

I'M NOT A CREEPY PSYCHO LIKE YOU! Haruko bit her lip, suppressing what was either a moan of pain or a groan of impending disaster. All that escaped was a tired breath. "Are you really okay with that?"

<Ren> was silent, not even looking back at Kokuto.

Yeah, I figured you'd say that.

Haruko slammed the car horn down in frustration. The vehicle in front screamed obscenities, which Kokuto returned in earnest. Apparently, the vigor was enough to cause even <Ren> to look back at her in amazement.

Kokuto gave her partner a withering glare. "What?"

"Haruko." <Ren> looked about ready to burst into laughter. "Should you be--"

"Shut up." Haruko snapped back. The traffic started moving again, and the car crawled just a bit forward. "You know, none of this would have happened if you didn't jump straight into things."

<Ren> was unmoved. "I had a gut feeling. They're usually right."

"Yeah?" Haruko's voice cut sharper than it usually did. "Well, this time it was wrong. Dead wrong."

"All I needed to do was take out that woman."

"SHE HAD AN IS. YOU HAD NO WAY IN HELL." The traffic cleared enough for them to maneuver. An annoyed Haruko hit the accelerator and took the next offramp back to the coastline, angry drivers screaming at her from behind. "And not another word about you being able to beat her."

<Ren> continued to stare out the window. "I could have."

"Oh for god's sake. You're whining like a teenaged--" Kokuto stopped at the obvious statment. "Never mind. Just drop it, okay?"

The next few minutes were again filled with silence, before <Ren> spoke again.

"I need to get back to work."

"No, what you need to do is get some rest." Kokuto emphasized. "We're waiting on new orders from HQ. You'll need the recovery time before duty calls."

"Our DUTY is to watch over Orimura Ichika and keep an eye out for Shinonono Tabane. Until I'm told otherwise, that doesn't change." She began, still not looking at Haruko.

Kokuto remained silent, not wanting to tell <Ren> of their new orders.

<Ren> tested her right hand's grip, forcing herself not to wince. The pain was still there, but manageable. She looked back at her partner. "I need my knives."

"Well, now. That's going to be a problem." Haruko ran a hand through her hair, fighting the urge to rip it all out. "You see, the Koanchosa-cho paid us a home visit last night."

<Ren> turned to look at her partner, and she looked like cold death. "...what."

<--------------->

"Where the hell are all my knives?"

Kokuto grimaced but remained quiet. The very first thing they saw upon arriving was a home utterly ransacked. Just a day ago, the National Police headed by the Koanchosa-cho had swooped into their little apartment and took most of the equipment there. Haruko's orders from Johohonbu HQ were to allow them full access. The result being that her desktop, hard drives, and files were all confiscated. Even articles of clothing were strewn about. Seeing this, <Ren> had immediately wanted to check on her inventory of blades.

The closet and the secret drawers were ripped out. The wreck of the work desk was unsaveable, and the bed was a shattered heap. Nothing of value was left untouched.

"Figures." Had the situation not been so grim, Kokuto would have laughed at <Ren>'s pained expression. "Even the bread knives?"

"Bread knives. Letter openers. Ballpoint pens. My hard drives. Post-it notes." Haruko pulled up a chair, one of the things the heavy-handed search did not take. She droped into the seat with weary frustration. "They even took my coffee from the fridge, those greedy pigs."

"And you did nothing."

"I'm an analyst. I analyze." Haruko bent her head forward, the lowest stoop and glare she could manage. "You're the field agent."

<Ren> continued to stare at the room. The pain in her right arm returned, aggravating her mood. Had she a knife, it would have been sunk deep in the head of a police officer. Any police officer available.

"The Ministry of Justice is holding an inquiry. The Koanchosa-cho have us by the balls. The whole Johohonbu are in too much trouble to complain about it," Kokuto grumbled, taking off her glasses to massage her aching skull. Aside from a can of coffee, Kokuto was wishing for a gun all the more now. If only to put it to her own head and pull the trigger. Between <Ren> and the shuffling insanity that was Japanese inter-service bureaucracy, Haruko was either going to commit suicide or go on a homicidal rampage. Preferably both, though not necesarily in that order. "I'm just waiting for the punchline. Where the top brass sacrifice us both to save their own hides."

Kokuto's phone rang at that moment.

"Nice punchline." <Ren> snapped off, earning her a cold stare.

"Kokuto." Haruko answered, sitting up a little straighter. "Yes sir, they've already been through here." Her posture became more taut at the next question. "Uh, yes sir. She's right here." Blinking, she looked at <Ren> in amazement. Then, she offered her phone to the girl, which <Ren> seemed unable to understand.

"He wants to speak to you."

"Me." <Ren> could see that Kokuto was not kidding.

Cautious. <Ren> picked the phone from Haruko's hand, and slowly put it to her ear. She took in a breath as she listened to the disembodied voice on the other end.

And closed her eyes.

<--------------->

In her dark white dreams, she remembered.

Alone in the musty room, despite the crowds of people all dressed in black. In front of her, a picture, wreathed in black with candles and offerings. The words and stares of the faceless red-garbed people all around as the looked at her with great and utter contempt.

Red. All wore red. There was none dressed to respect the man's passing.

Your father was the most honorable man in this family.
Your father is the most vile traitor to the family.

Your father is a hero.
Your father is a villain.

You must walk in your father's footsteps.
You must bear your father's sins.

One in particular, a boy slightly older than she, walked up to her with cold hatred. The red garb draped on his shoulders made him perfect, yet that perfection and pride was broken. Like the rest of the clan, he poisoned his look with disgust-filled eyes. Unlike the rest, he wore a prideful smile.

Why did they choose you over me? I am more worthy.

She turned and ran.

As a child, the strides took forever. But eventually she escaped the house, the compound, the place where her father raised her and not left her. With none but the clan to teach her. She didn't know how long she'd run. Only that by the time she stopped, she could see only purple-red skies above and green blades of grass below. And silence that overwhelmed.

She remembered. This was where she first saw the boy, ages ago. A boy her age, who did not look at her with spite or hatred. The first person other than her father or godfather, to treat her kindly.

She could see the sight of him in the distance, through the blades of grass, but the old pain interfered. Blades cutting into her right arm, drawing out the symbol of her clan in ink as red as blood.

"It's not fair."

<--------------->

"Aren't you going to tell me what he said?"

<Ren> remained silent in her seat, unmoved since the morning's phone call.

Kokuto could not be sure if the girl was thinking over her actions or merely sulking. Or even if she had fallen asleep. It was hard to tell, and Haruko wondered if the girl slept with her eyes open. Like a real snake. Since then, she had managed to buy another caseload of coffee cans and some take-away for dinner. Not even bothering to start with food, Haruko tore open the case and started guzzling a can. She emptied it without pause, slumping into her own seat not long afterward.

No response from <Ren> at all. Haruko began to wonder what HQ had told the girl. That they were off the Orimura case was obvious, but there had to be more to it than that. <Ren> had been on the phone for fifteen minutes before wordlessly returning the mobile to Kokuto. Since then, she had simply sunk into a seat. Nothing was said on the call itself, it was more that <Ren> stood recieving orders.

But what orders? Haruko already knew the answer but was unwilling to accept it. Most of the apartment had been tidied up, or at least made livable. A spare pair of mattresses were all they had left to sleep on. There was nothing that could be done about the missing files and weapons. She wasn't in the mood for work, not after the whirlwind of the past few days.

"Dinner's served." Kokuto made a show of loudly placing the two plastic bowls on the kitchen countertop. Disposable wooden chopsticks followed. "Beef brisket noodles on the left, curry pork rice on the right. Take your pick."

<Ren> still did not budge.

"Fine, I'll have the noodles." Haruko took the bowl and opened it up, digging in with chopsticks. All the while, eyes on <Ren>'s unmoving form. A grimace as she started to chew on her food. Lukewarm meat and cold gummy egg noodles. Kokuto realized she should have been more wary of a shop that promised 'genuine chinese ramen from Chongqing'. And too much aniseed in the sauce. Are they trying to poison their customers?

"Why don't YOU tell me what his orders are?" <Ren> finally moved. Slowly, she turned her dead snakelike eyes to Haruko. "After all, he advised you of the mission first."

Noodles in mouth, Kokuto stared back at her in dumbfounded silence.

"So. When were you going to tell me?" <Ren>'s voice was colder than it had ever been. "Act your age and stop acting stupider than you normally do."

Oh, you arrogant little bitch. Haruko spat out the noodles, and her blood started to boil as the bowl flew straight into the sink. "Are you crazy? You're not ready."

"I'll say when I am or am not ready."

"Your ribs are still mending. Your arm and leg aren't fully healed yet, and you think you're ready to go back in the field? And you call ME stupid!" Haruko tossed aside the empty coffee can with more force than necessary. "That assignment's got nothing to do with Orimura Ichika or Tabane Shinonono. It's not connected to Phantom Task. It's not even in our area of responsibility. It's a suicide mission."

"I know." The snakelike eyes grew bladelike in their stare. "And so do you."

"Do you even know what they want you to do?" Kokuto bit her lip fiercely. "They want you to go out there and die. And you're somehow PERFECTLY ALL RIGHT WITH THAT. Can you at least tell me WHY?!"

Despite herself, <Ren> paused. Her answer was strangely weak, an afterthought. "It's my mission."

"Your mission." Haruko planted hands on her hips and nodded. "Sure you don't want any curry?" Kokuto offered the other bowl, but couldn't resist planting sarcasm. "It's cold. Slimy. Black. And it smells like a rat died in it. Might be a more pleasant method of suicide."

<Ren> glared at her, but Haruko did not back down. Giving up, the younger girl then walked to one of the mattresses. Wordlessly, she slowly slithered into it. Not even bothering to change clothes.

"Yeah. Thought so." Haruko tossed the other bowl out as well.

<--------------->

The blades of grass rustled in her young ears. For a second, she wondered if it was the wind speaking to her. Purple, yellow and red colored the sky. Dawn, not dusk. It had been dark when she ran from the house, from the steps and past the red stone pillars that bordered her family home. How far and how fast, she did not know. But she was here.

Hidden. A little snake in the grass, hoping not to be found.

"What's your name?"

She spun around to the voice, like a snake about to strike.

A boy.

A boy her age, with black hair and a cheery smile. Standing amidst the taller blades of grass, unaware that he had startled her. The girl that she was stood straight but did not relax. Reflexively, she hid her right arm behind her back. Concealing the mark, wishing she had a weapon at hand. "Why do you want to know?"

"I'm lost. And I don't know anybody." The boy chuckled, scratching the back of his head in embarrassment. "I thought you might be able to help me find my sister."

Strangely familiar. Father did that whenever he laughed. In his voice there seemed to be none of the subterfuge or manipulation she had been accustomed to. Still, she was suspicious. "Why are you asking for my name?"

"My sister told me to be polite and ask someone's name first." The boy seemed incapable of understanding hints or subtext. "What's your name?"

For a moment, the girl hesitated, unsure what to make of the offer. She had trusted no one but her father, and he was gone. Taking every bit of courage in her heart, she finally replied.

"Shiho."

"My name's Ichika." The boy smiled with all the power of the sun. "Nice to meet you!"

<--------------->

Opened eyes.

<Ren> lay on her left side on her mattress. Awakened by her dreams, unable to return to sleep. She could hear Haruko's droning snore, but it did not bother her as much this time.

White noise, like a constant murmur in the near-empty room.

Tired. Lethargic. The hospital stay drained more of her energy than she expected. She would dip into short moments of sleep, even dream. But no rest. Like a heavy grey cloud hovering above. Pressure and weight bearing down from above, with no relief of rain.

Your talents are wasted on guard duty, the electronic voice on the phone had told her. This was not why we enlisted you, as an agent of the Johohonbu.

"My duty is to watch over Orimura Ichika." <Ren> mumbled. Words she should have said, in response to the orders she was given. On that call, her face was its usual stone mask. But deep inside she was screaming. Painfully she lifted her right arm, still covered in a lightweight cast. The tattoo could not be seen, and for that at least she was thankful. Flexing her fingers, she lightly scratched the floor. Wondering.

Your skills are needed elsewhere. Agent Kokuto has already been briefed. Has she not instructed you? The machine voice had no emotion, but <Ren> could imagine how the man behind the words seethed as he relayed the command. Haruko's irritated behavior had hinted at the change, even if she could not spit it out. Your actions of late show that your skills are inappropriate for this operation. The Sarashiki family is more than capable of protecting one boy and his IS.

<Ren> did not respond to that statement. She simply could not.

Even if she wanted to.

You have a new mission, Shiho. One more important than guarding a teenaged boy. The speaker on the phone knew her name. Her real name. Only the upper-ranked members of the Johohonbu would know. In the end, she knew no more than what Haruko was unwilling to discuss. However, <Ren> could only guess. Agent Kokuto has the particulars. You do not have much time to execute this.

Remember to bring a fur coat, was the last statement she had heard. She wasn't sure if they were mocking her at that moment.

She stood from the mattress, to get away from her thoughts for the moment. Not knowing what else to do, she stepped outside and began to walk. The night was all around, the neighborhood silent in the time before dawn but after midnight. Her leg still ached when she walked, something <Ren> found a nuisance. Still she did not feel like returning to bed, instead opting to walk to the bayside. The walk was not long, but felt like forever as <Ren> strode the walks and pathways in silence.

Barefooted. Thankful the streets were cool and clean.

At the end of the road, she found herself on the bayside walk. The same walk she had fought the woman with the Spider-IS. Not the same spot, but it recalled the incident too vividly.

The view was the same. Even at night, the light and glow across the bay could be seen. <Ren> was silent as she looked out at IS Academy, that island of light in the distance.

Unreachable, across the short sea in between.

The light invited and repelled her. There, across the bay. Light and laughter, teenagers enjoying their fleeting youth. While she stood here, in shadow. The dichotomy was not lost on her.

The night was where she belonged, hidden.

I can't hide anymore, can I? She sat on the bayside like a normal girl her age, with her arms wrapped around her knees. Not even in my dreams.

<--------------->

"You were crying."

<Ren>'s eyes popped open at Kokuto's voice. Looking up at the dawn sky, she saw her partner looking back down. Can of coffee in hand, dishevelled hair and glasses that made her look much older than she was. There were still streaks of purple and red above, losing the fight to the lighter blue and lack of clouds.

<Ren> took a second to remember she was sitting on the beach walk. She absently rubbed her eyes. "It's from sleep. I wasn't crying."

"Sure. That's your story now." Haruko shoved her free hand in her pocket, then plopped on the bayside with an air of defeat. Her throat made a guttural dead noise before slamming down the rest of her drink in one gulp. Kokuto then tried to throw the can into a nearby trashbin.

A clank. A clatter of can on the street. Missed.

"Right." Haruko stared at the empty can on the walk until it stopped. After a few seconds of dead air, she decided not to bother getting up. "God, I hate the world today."

"Shut up." <Ren> reflexively shot back as she turned, facing the same direction as Haruko. An afterthought as she asked: "There was actually a time you didn't hate the world?"

Even <Ren> was shocked by Kokuto's sudden and decidedly evil cackle. A laugh loud and strong enough that Haruko teetered over and fell on her back on the grass. Still laughing, like a madwoman shot down. Then she stopped. Spread-armed and looking at the blue sky above. She stopped as abruptly as she began. Lying on the grass, Kokuto just kept looking upward. At emptiness.

"Honestly, I don't care anymore. Not about my job, not about this damned place. Not even if I get arrested." Haruko's fingers and wrists twitched, like a dying man. "After this, absolutely nothing matters."

<Ren> knew what she was talking about. Not meeting Haruko's eye, she looked at the sidewalk, the grass and the steady increase of people. The morning was beginning to warm the town, everyday ordinary mundane life starting to act and live. "When were you going to tell me?"

"Never." Kokuto remained on the grass.

"What, you didn't want the abuse to end?"

"I didn't want you doing something you didn't want to do."

<Ren> opened her mouth, but the words were different from what she wanted to say. "It was what I used to do."

"What you used to do. Removal of unlawful influential assets," Kokuto halfway asked, halfway declared it. The few people walking past took no notice, as people did in daily life. Ignoring anything that was not of interest or not a threat. "What was it, sabotage? Espionage?" A pause. "Assassination?"

A small cold bite in the air made itself known.

"How far?"

"Hokkaido." Kokuto shut her eyes a moment. The tip of Japan, the dragon's head. Where winter hit the islands earliest. That meant driving 17 hours nonstop to Aomori. Haruko doubted her little car could hold together that long, but airplane and train travel were not covered by the office. Then another 4 hours ferry trip from Aomori to Hakodate. Then 5 hours from there to... "It's a spot in the mountains."

"For this job I need weapons." <Ren> did not budge from her seat. "I know someplace I can get them."

"I bet you do." Haruko abruptly pulled herself up to sitting level. "An assassin would make an ideal bodyguard, is that what you said to convince them?"

<Ren> kept silent, but Kokuto could tell. There were cracks in the cruel facade she tried to keep up. A snake would hiss and eye you coldly, even if it had no bite left in itself.

Kokuto harumphed and shrugged. Then stood up. "I'll get the car. It's going to be a hell of a road trip."

<Ren> seemed to hesitate a moment before standing. Without a word she followed Kokuto a short walk to the car. By the time they reached the vehicle, <Ren> could see a few luggage bags in the back. She tried her most sarcastic tone but it felt tired, flat.

"I see you've packed."

"Not much point in staying." She got in and lowered the window on her side. Haruko could feel a bit of chill, of winter in the distance. Snow and cold never came down to this coastline, not like the frozen mountains of the north. Here and now was the beachside valley of near-eternal summer which if she and <Ren> left, they would never be able to return. The day was still new, not one to be spent mulling over a mission.

Kokuto glanced at her watch. "You know what? Let's take a detour."

"Detour." <Ren> replied flatly. "This isn't another one of your coffee runs, is it?"

"Humor me. It's not going to change anything."

For some odd reason, <Ren> felt her skin prickle. "I don't see the point."

"The point is I'm driving."

A seething glare. "Whatever."

"Hmm. Where do we start?" Haruko had a mischievous twinkle in her eye. "How long has it been since you had your hair done?"

<--------------->

A metallic snip, and the last of her black locks fell to the ground. A light brush and a blow-dryer went through the motions, a feeling unfamiliar and uncomfortable to <Ren> as she sat silently through it all.

"All done." The hairstylist kept a politely saccharine, insincere smile as she held up the mirror.

Staring back at her was a girl with a neat boyish haircut and a deep frown.

Kokuto smiled, giving <Ren> a thumbs-up of approval.

Haruko. <Ren> was disgusted with the look, but said nothing. I'll get you for this.

<--------------->

A division between what is pure and what is corrupt.

The unmistakeable mass of red torii hovered at the foot of the steps. Much like a path she had taken weeks earlier, before the O-Bon festival.

A red gate hidden among the green. It belonged and did not belong, like <Ren> herself.

The mountain she now faced was tall and deeper green-grey rough-hewn stone, unlike the gentler slope of the shrine's hill. This new path was not lined by the giant structures. No gods were here to thank, no wealthy patrons donating their millions to add brothers to the lone red gate. This was not a place for Shinto worship, no shrine lay at the end. It was just the one torii, a warning rather than a welcome. Imposing yet silently hidden, no one visited this spot save those who had purpose here. The wooden torii of a Shinto Shrine were more elaborate, with a roof above the top. This was a simple, older design of two long wooden beams across the top of the huge stone posts.

The comparative irony did not escape <Ren> as she began to walk toward red-hewn stone pillars.

"You sure you want me to wait?"

<Ren> did not turn to face Haruko on the bottom step. The car was idling, parked on the incline of the hill.

"It's just me from here on." <Ren> replied, strangely looking up at the blood-red gate. Doubt in her eyes, whether she was walking back into the realm of the sacred or the profane. "Guests not allowed."

Haruko did not reply, but shut the engine. She knew full well what lay beyond the red gates.

<Ren> went up the steps, without word or sound as she distanced herself from Kokuto's car. Soon, the green forests hid all from view. Sunlight could barely sneak past the trees and their shade, melting the view of the path that was still visible.

She came to a stop at one tree. Etched into the wood was the same symbol tattooed on her arm. Symbols of the I-ching, two broken lines split by a straight line for water. Fire was its opposite, two straight lines split by a broken line. A second meaning existed within the first: Three straight lines stood for the heavens, while three broken lines represent earth.

The symbol of the clan. Being both Fire and Water, masters of Heaven and Earth.

She walked on, taking more caution in every step she took. Eyes felt but not seen were watching her.

Another wooden torii, much smaller than the first. This one unpainted, a dull and simple brown struture standing watch over a hidden home. No walls were seen. Or needed. <Ren> walked through the gate in silence, but not silent.

There were a few people tending to the courtyard, entrance to a large and classical home. Glazed tile roofs atop lacquered wood and paper structures. The house was vast, as large as she had remembered it as a child. Those around remained engrossed in their work: Cutting the grass and trimming the hedges. Housekeepers, gardeners and hired help. An expected sight. Part of the scenery. Ignored by all. As invisible to ordinary people as air.

<Ren> knew. The Clan did not employ outsiders. And though they kept silent, she could hear. The whispers. They accused beneath their breath, pretending that she could not hear them. But she heard. Clearly. And they knew she could hear, though they pretended she could not.

Bastard child.

Devil child.

Stain on the Clan's name.

<Ren>'s vicious smile could not be wider. She relished in the spite they all had for her, fed on it. The pride made the pain in her arm and leg throb slightly as she walked. The path was clear and she had her lip curl in a smile as she strode forth. Let them see me, let them see my contempt.

And then she stopped. The entranceway to the house, forboding and forbidding. Paper doors shut, but to <Ren> as impenetrable as iron and stone. The sounds of grass-cutting and sweeping disappeared. Not even birds or beetles sang or moved. Total silence remained.

"You know I'm not armed. You know why I'm here," she whispered, knowing the ears on the ground could hear and the eyes in the trees could see. The gardeners and help were absent from view, but their presence remained. Hostile in response if not intent. <Ren> made no move, instead defiantly staring at the doors. "You know who I want to talk to."

The doors slid open slowly, to cause no sound. And a lone person strode out of the shadows.

A young man of his twenties. Uncharacteristically clothed in formal business wear, sharp edged tie and suit. In his hand sat an unlit cigarette, the rumpled appearance of which suggested he rolled his own smokes.

<Ren> wore a razor-edged grin on her face. "Yo, Jo."

"That's such a stupid joke." Hijikata snarled through the polite smile that was not a smile. Baring teeth. Like a tiger in its home territory. A snap of fingers, and the cigarette on Hijikata's lips lit. "Really. When everyone in the family is against you, you really should accept all the kindness you get." He shook his head, taking a deep and savoury breath through his cigarette.

"The Strong Master." <Ren> spoke it mockingly, and felt a dozen unseen eyes pierce her with hatred. Far fewer than she had been expecting. Which meant that the clan's home was understaffed. There was only one reason it would have been so. "You've been busy."

"Unlike some." Hijikata crossed his arms. "Your skills--the clan's skills--were not meant for babysitting a mere boy." A tap, and ash fell from the lit cigarette. The grey ash never reached the ground, as Jo casually sliced his free hand under it. The ash was gone, mere dust in the wind. "We are not shields. We are swords. We do not protect by stupidly throwing our bodies in front of our lords as the samurai do." Another draw of the cigarette. "We protect by killing anyone and anything that threatens our lord."

"And who is our 'lord'?"

"Japan." Hijikata replied, unflinching.

"I am not a sword."

"No. That you are not." Hijikata did not move. Like a tiger ready to pounce, he stood relaxed and wary all at once. "You will fight alone. You will always fight alone. One day you'll die, and on that day the clan will rejoice."

<Ren> tried to match his cold smile. "Then throw my corpse a party."

"The boy you like won't be won over by a demon's smile."

<Ren> refused to be baited, leaving Jo to try another tactic.

"What is it you really want, Shiho?" He replied under his breath, loud enough only for <Ren> to hear. Jo's smile was smug as he looked down upon the girl who he saw as a blight on his existence. "I have heard from the Johohonbu, they've relieved you of guard duty. This joke has gone too far for too long."

She did not look at him. <Ren>'s eyes were warily eyeing the absent gardeners and household help. All of them unseen, yet watching. All casting hateful glances at her when they thought she wasn't looking. Whispering in venomous, small drips under their breath.

Devil. Snake. Bastard. Monster.

"They have asked me to undertake a killing." <Ren> responded. She refused to use the more professional term: Assassination.

"Where?" Jo asked, uninterested.

"North."

A ghastly chuckle. "So you couldn't keep away from it after all."

<Ren>'s snakelike eyes met the proud tiger in Hijikata's eyes.

"An assassin who does not want to kill. What good is that?" Hijikata blew the rest of his smoke into the air. "What good are you?"

"I am not here to argue with you." <Ren>'s eyes continued to lock eyes with Jo's. The snake would not back down. "I want what's mine."

For the first time, the mocking smile left the Strong Master's face. It was a mien that spoke of personal offence, the way a tiger reacted to a little snake threatening his majesty. "You own nothing."

"I own what my father bequeathed to me."

"Oh?" There seemed to be flicker of relief on Jo's face for a split-second. "Just that?" Hijikata's sudden cold laughter chilled even <Ren>'s bones. "Very well." A wave of his hand, and wind chilled the air.

Whispers. Singing. Not a traditional japanese song, nor was it modern. The lilt was familiar to <Ren>, as she had heard it sung to her as a child.

An American nursery rhyme. Something she learned from her father.

Something the others hidden from sight mocked her with.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sailor.
Rich Man, Poor Man, Beggar Man, Thief.
Black Man, White Man, Red Man, Old Man.
Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief.

<Ren> almost snickered aloud as she whispered her own lines to the tale.

"One man did what no man could,
stole my fate that's understood.
What he did was beyond belief,
oh that devil was a common thief!
"

She met Hijikata's hateful eyes as she spoke thus.

From the depths of the home a bag was thrown, landing squarely at <Ren>'s feet.

"Take it." The still-smiling Jo rasped. "Take it and never come back."

<--------------->

The phone was left off.

Crumpling the fifth empty can, she was going to toss it in the back like the four before it. But eventually she settled for tossing it in the front passenger seat with a disgruntled sigh. <Ren> had not been gone long, but she was bored. Fishing into her pocket, she looked at the little black object.

A thumbdrive, small with only 8 gigabytes of data on it. Kokuto frowned. In the little device was a collection of information she had been sitting on. The device never left her person, especially after the search of the apartment. In it was her own investigation, separate from the Johohonbu. Information that the heads in HQ wanted her to undertake off the record. Sightings. Locations. Findings. Information.

Blackmail. She considered. Information that she could use to get out of this mess on her own. But she doubted Johohonbu HQ and it's secret heads would play ball. They'd just take this data and sweep it under the rug. They could not keep any secrets fromt he rest of the Government intelligence agencies any longer. And the information would be sloppily handled.

Could Phantom Task have already infiltrated the Johohonbu?

Disgusted, Kokuto wanted another can of coffee.

"Haruko."

"GAH!!!" Kokuto jumped when she saw <Ren> standing outside her car window. Instinctively she hid the device in her skirt pocket. "DON'T. DO. THAT!!!"

"We're good to go." <Ren> walked over to the passenger side door and entered, a bag on her lap as she sat. It was an old duffel bag, of the variety used by the US Army in the 1970's. The faded black stencils scrawled on the surface were of the same typeface used by the american military, though unreadable now.

Haruko started up the car but left it idling. "What's in it? Your father's keepsakes?"

"No." <Ren> responded quietly. "This."

Inside the bag were all manner of weapons. <Ren> picked out the most notable one: a straight sword in its scabbard, that had no hilt. A second one was produced, a slightly curved smaller brother to the first. Blades that took no pride in being swords, lacking in any of the honor that the traditional Japanese Katana had.

"Chokuto and Wakizashi. My father kept these for me." <Ren> explained before Kokuto could think of asking. She drew the weapon slowly. The swords, despite not being of the same steel and temper as a true Katana, felt firm in her hand. They were by both law and necessity shorter than the traditional Katana of lore. The straight blade Chokuto was a size ideal for an adolescent. The shorter Wakizashi was the better made of the two, more a large knife than a sword. Haruko had heard of them, weapons that in medieval times were prohibited from being long enough to challenge the katana. Swords that had no right to question the nobility of the samurai. Paired together, one slightly shorter than the other.

Swords that were called knives by the Samurai--the only ones in those times allowed to have a true sword.

There were a large variety of star-shaped throwing blades or shuriken, which Kokuto was not surprised to see. <Ren>'s skill with throwing concealed weapons made them expected. The small blades were simple but reliable weapons, easily carried and expendable. Some had as many as eight points, others were simpler with four or three points. More conventional modern throwing knives were also in the mix.

If the swords seemed ancient, the bow was more modern in design. <Ren> began to assemble the weapon slowly, a symmetrical combination of hard black plastic and dark metal. A pair of wheels and pulleys sat just above and below the center grip, and <Ren> initially had difficulty pulling the bow's drawstring through these by hand. Although it was in good condition, the scars and chips on its handle and arms showed how much wear the weapon had gone through. <Ren> grunted with great effort as she prepped the bow.

Haruko wasn't used to see <Ren> straining at any task, and wondered if she was hurt more badly than she let on. "Isn't that a lot of trouble?"

Seconds later, the bow was prepared. "I won't be able to throw as well with my right arm. The bow will give me more range."

You're seriously going through with this. With rusty old ninja swords and a bow. Have you got a death wish? Haruko was sure she didn't have to say that out loud.

"All of these weapons are silent," <Ren> explained as she picked up one of the star-shaped blades. Four tips, perfect angles. Testing its balance, how it felt in her left hand. Satisfied, she put it back in the bag. "Besides. You honestly think HQ will just give me weapons?"

Well it's a mission, Kokuto thought but did not speak. Given the trouble it was in, the Johohonbu would most likely ignore the request.

<Ren> took out one last weapon. Unlike the others, this was unused and well-kept. She tested it against the light bandages around her right arm, which parted easily to its sharp edge.

A Tanto, far simpler and robust in design than the swords. <Ren> drew the blade, noiseless as it slid out of its casing. Haruko thought it jarring, as the thick blade was coated black like modern military knives. Yet it sat within a traditional, if plain scabbard and handle of equally dark lacquered wood.

"Are you really okay with this?" Haruko was formulating her own plan in her mind.

"Don't get the wrong idea. I've no compunctions about killing." <Ren> felt the weight of the heavy Tanto in her hand. The chisel-pointed blade seemed to mock her in the dim light as she toyed with it, locking the weapon in a hidden holster then drawing it out again. Still no noise from the sheathing or resheathing action. <Ren> was satisfied and kept the blade out. "I was just wondering how Orimura Ichika would feel about it."

"Is he really that kind of man?"

"He was too kind, even back as a child." <Ren>'s eyes opened, the focused glare of a serpent ready to strike. The only other item in the bag was what looked vaguely like a karate gi, the garments used in martial arts practice. Yet the cloth was thicker, worn. Crude patches were sewn into the legs and arms, in some places as thick as padding. It was more grey than white, musty cobwebs and dust with their mottled prints marking every inch. Dirty snow, or the scarred scales of a snake. "Because he's kind, I have to be cruel."

Without another word, <Ren> took the tanto and started shredding one of the pants legs.

Haruko was befuddled. "What are you doing?"

"Making edits." <Ren> continued to slice viciously through the cloth. "I was twelve when I last wore this. I've grown up since then."

"Not by much." Kokuto mumbled, but went back to driving. "You know, we could just buy you some white winter clothing."

"Another excuse to go shopping."

"Shut up." Haruko's peeved mien glared back at <Ren>. Like old times. "I'll have to fill up in the city before we start off. This little beetle of a car won't get very far on a half tank."

"Before that." A shredding of fibers. The pants leg was widened, space enough to wear over street clothes. "There's one more person I need to speak to."

"Dammit." Haruko's palm clapped hard on the steering wheel. "You know you can't speak to Orimura Ichika. HQ is strict about that."

"It's not him I need to speak to."

"Eh?" Haruko looked back at <Ren>, perplexed.

"You know who." <Ren> toyed a bit more with the cloth, then gave up by resheathing her knife. She tucked the baseball cap over her brow. "Wake me when we get there."

Last edited by wavehawk; 2015-02-07 at 04:55.
Old 2015-02-07, 04:56   Link #55907
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

cutting it up again.
Quote:
<--------------->

They met each other a few more times in that field. Ichika once wrote his name in the soil, oddly enough in Kanji. Orimura Ichika: Cut from a bone, a single summer. He then asked his playmate what her full name was.

Shiho only wrote her given name in plan hiragana, which meant nothing. Ichika did not pursue the matter further.

Those few times they played chase together, Ichika could never catch her. On more than one occassion he wondered how it was Shiho ran as fast as she did. Or hid as well as she did. At the age of five or six, Ichika kept trying but almost always lost to Shiho. Except the moments she let him win.

Shiho never answered when he asked. She could never explain how her feats were considered normal for her clan. Maybe I'm just stronger, she wanted to say. But Shiho was also afraid to lose the only friend she had.

The times she spent with him were short, in the grassy plains beneath the mountain. Away from the big house, away from the clan. She preferred it here, where no one forced her to apologize for things her father supposedly did.

"I bet you have a big family." Ichika asked.

Shiho was afraid for a second, but answered. "Yeah."

"In my family there's just me and Chifuyu-nee," Ichika didn't seem sad or jealous, just stating a fact. Then a worried look on his face, coupled with that sheepish laughter. And the silly gesture of scratching his head. "We don't stay in the same place for long. Maybe I'll go somewhere else."

"DON'T!"

Ichika was a little frightened at this response, but laughed it off. "Actually, Chifuyu-nee usually takes me to different places to live. She says its to protect me. Maybe she'll stay here this time."

"If you stay, I'll protect you."

"Hah?" Ichika had an odd look on his face, not laughing only because of the seriousness on the little girl's face. "But you're a girl."

"I will protect you." The little girl grabbed his hand tightly. "If I protect you, do you promise to stay?"

"It's a boy's job to protect a girl, you know." He then stopped, realizing how he sounded after mentioning his sister earlier. "I mean only giant robots and big monsters can protect a boy. Just like in the cartoons."

"Then I'll stop being a girl." Shiho spoke in a firm voice, with unnatural determination for a child her age. "Even if I have to become a monster, I'll protect you. Just stay."

"I promise I'll stay, Shiho-chan." Ichika smiled back, more than a little amused at Shiho's serious look. "If you promise to tell me about your family."

There was a hint of terror in the little girl's eyes for a second, but it left just as quickly. Shiho had already decided. Without her father there was no reason for her to stay with the clan. At worst, she would go with Ichika. Shiho actually liked the idea, being part of another family. To be with her first real friend. "If you come here tomorrow, I'll tell you."

"It's a promise." Ichika held up a small hand, pinky finger curled. "Pinky promise?"

Shiho curled her small, trusting finger around his.

<--------------->

It was one of the few public areas of the island, yet one that saw few people roaming it. A small park, with little greenery and lighting. Quiet, without the school's usual sounds of girl talk and giggling. The support staff of IS Academy occasionally took their lunch breaks here, cloistered away from work and the students nearby. It was not monitored as heavily as the rest of the island, something that Orimura Chifuyu made a mental note to change in the next few days.

Chifuyu felt uncomfortable with the calm. Something was always going wrong in and around the Academy. If everything appeared to be going smoothly, then something was going VERY wrong and Chifuyu didn't know about it just yet. A frown as she realized that it would very likely involve her younger brother.

A glance at her watch. Quarter past three in the afternoon. The exact time she had been advised in the message earlier. At this specific location.

"Orimura Chifuyu."

She turned to the voice. A girl stepped out of a tree's shade and into the sun. Baseball cap shading her eyes, but as young as most of the first-years at IS Academy. The girl's face was new to her, not one of the faces she'd seen in the school or among the staff. Suspicion crossed Orimura's face as she wondered how the girl got through security.

"You finally show yourself," Chifuyu challenged in her low and cautious monotone. New, yet strangely familar. Almost in reflex, she put one arm to her waist. A casual pose to most, but it hid her intentions well. It hid her footing and stance from the person she was speaking to.

"You're prompt." The mystery girl stopped a short distance from Orimura. Had Chifuyu brought a sword, the girl would be just out of her reach. Cautious, as if debating whether to wait or to strike. "I didn't think you would take time out of your busy schedule to see me."

Orimura was not amused. "Your name, little girl?"

The girl chuckled, as if privy to an inside joke. "<Ren>. Just call me that."

"So, what did you want to talk about? Or are you just here to waste my time?"

"If you thought this was a waste of time, you wouldn't be speaking to me. White is black. And black is white." <Ren> took a few more cautious steps forward, now within the edge of Chifuyu's range of movement. And aimed a pointed response. "So are you the Black Knight or the White Knight?"

Faster than a snake could strike, Chifuyu closed the distance as she leapt forward and grabbed the girl's right arm. <Ren> did not resist as the older woman had a look at the injury. Also exposed was the red tattoo. There was a split-second flinch from Orimura when she recognized the mark, but she said nothing.

The memory of a flash of blades came to Orimura's mind.

Calmly, Chifuyu let go of <Ren>'s arm. The red tattoo and its meaning was familiar to her, and she looked at the girl with a renewed sense of wariness and distrust. "You've been watching my brother, haven't you? For how long?"

"Since the second Mondo Grosso."

The answer seemed to take Orimura by surprise. She hid it well otherwise, keeping an impassive mask of nonchalance on her face.

"It was right after your brother was kidnapped." <Ren> confirmed. "You were the top-ranked IS pilot at the time, but you pulled out of the competition with your IS to rescue your brother." The girl then gave Orimura an aside glance, treading carefully. "That made a lot of people in the Japanese Government nervous."

"Then let them be nervous." Chifuyu's demeanor did not shift. "Politics don't interest me."

"There was a genuine fear that someone would use your brother to blackmail you into going against them. Some in the Government still think it was the Germans who kidnapped Ichika in the first place." Like the Koanchosa-cho, <Ren> did not add. "To get you to train their IS cadre, of course."

Chifuyu looked at <Ren> doubtfully. "You can't be from the Ministry of Justice." Far too young, she did not add. Orimura kept a cold, professional distance and air to her speech. "Naicho? Or the Johohonbu? Most likely the latter." Chifuyu surmised. "You don't act like one of those desk drones at the Naichou."

<Ren> made no response to the probing questions.

"I thought Tatenashi Sarashiki was in charge of protecting that idiot brother of mine?" There was the slightest of reactions, and Chifuyu noted the split-second scowl on <Ren>'s face at the mention of Sarashiki's name. "Ah. So it's an inter-service rivalry."

"Having an IS shouldn't be the sole reason to choose who protects whom." <Ren> tried, but could not keep the air of petulance out of her voice.

"Don't be an arrogant kid." Orimura felt like slapping the girl, but knew <Ren> would merely dodge it. "An IS changes everything. Even a relatively unskilled IS user can do more damage than a small army."

"There are problems that can't be solved with an IS." If <Ren> was affected by Chifuyu's rebuke, it did not register. "Intelligence gathering. Covert operations. Infiltrating enemy organizations."

"You sound like a man whining about the IS taking away his job."

<Ren> stopped, balling up her right fist. The pain stopped her train of thought, made her rethink her response. Yet still: "My way of thinking is not wrong."

Chifuyu's eyes narrowed. The girl seemed more familiar the more she spoke to her. "I've met you before, haven't I?"

"Have you?"

"If you were one of my students, I'd throw the book at you for that response." Chifuyu regarded the younger woman with her own tight-lipped smile. "Instead of a duel with swords, a knife in the back, is that what you're saying?" She'd meant it as a joke, and had not expected the response. "A knife can never be a sword. The IS is a sword. A long sword, meant to clash with other long swords."

"A good sword is passed down and cared for. A knife, you just use it and throw it away. You can always get another knife." <Ren> tried to shrug in her normal arrogant way, but the pain stopped her. All she could muster was a grimace. "But isn't that alright?"

"So." Chifuyu was ready now, arms crossed and guarded. Ready to make a deal and cautious. "What is it you really want to talk about?"

"I have information you might be able to use."

<--------------->

He did not see her that day.

Shiho escaped from her family early that day, hoping to see the boy when he came. Her heart beat fast. Either he would stay here in the nearby town, or she would run away and join them. Part of another, better family. One that didn't need to remind Shiho of her lack of value.

She arrived at the spot, excitedly standing in wait. The sun turned the sky blue and she could feel her heart beat fast, even though she had stopped running. She waited.

The sun took its time as it crossed the blue above. Shiho began to tire, and sat down in the same spot. And waited.

And waited.

And waited. Watching the changing colors of the sky.

Blue turned to purple. Purple turned to red. Red into black.

Still she waited. Night fell. And there was nothing at all. No laughter, not even an apology.

"Liar." The child sobbed without crying. "Ichika you liar."

<--------------->

"Ichika you liar," <Ren> whispered softly under her breath. Walking slowly, she tarried her time. Halfheartedly wanting to loiter in the Academy's grounds for a bit longer.

The information she had passed to Chifuyu was scant, and she had no idea if it meant anything to the woman. Orimura kept a cold face throughout. All she did was nod and advise she would take it into consideration. For all <Ren> knew, the teachers of IS Academy already had good information on what was to happen.

The Americans will probably strike soon. Whispers that the Johohonbu had heard, but never confirmed. <Ren> was fairly certain they were more than whispers. Someone is feeding information to Phantom Task and other groups.

She stopped in her tracks, catching a familiar face not far away.

<Ren> was silent, staring now at the figure in a male IS Academy uniform seated in a parkside bench. Too far, and facing away. There was a concerned look on his face, as if he was waiting intently for someone.

<Ren> bit her lip, and took a quiet step forward.

It was then that she saw his face brighten up. <Ren> froze, stepping to one side to remain unseen. A small troupe of girls ran up to the boy, some were cheerful while the others were quarrelsome. All of them revolved around him, as if he were the sun and they the planets of his universe. At all of this, he laughed and scratched the back of his head.

Just as <Ren> remembered him, ten years ago.

God, that moron looks so happy. <Ren> herself could not help but genuinely smile for a split-second. That bunch of idiots will protect him for me, right?

"Shiho. Arashikage Shiho." <Ren> whispered to herself, knowing full well the boy and his troupe could not hear her. "That's my name, Ichika. I've kept my promise."

I became a monster but I still couldn't protect you.

Slowly, silently she left the unknowing group. Feet quiet as she quickened her pace. Away from IS Academy. Heartbeats hurting every step of the way. She made it to the sky-tram without incident, without hesitation.

"If you have been watching him that long, I'm surprised you haven't fallen for him yet."

<Ren> looked to the familiar voice, seeing Haruko seated in the sky-tram. An empty bento box of the convenience store variety was at her feet, and the half-full grocery bag beside it completed the picture. The analyst's peeved expression almost made <Ren> laugh.

"How do you know I haven't?"

I don't know whether you're joking or if you were dead serious when you said that. Kokuto grimaced even further as she massaged her legs. "Do you know how long I've been sitting alone inside this stupid thing?"

<Ren> took another look at the grocery bag. "Long enough to finish four cans of coffee."

"Shut up!" The grimace grew wider. Then, the analyst looked <Ren> in the eye. "I could see you, you know. Watching over Orimura and his gang."

Like a snake avoiding a man's eye, <Ren> looked away. "Then I must be getting sloppy."

"Were you? Seriously, I mean. Were you serious about that? About falling for Orimura?"

"Completely serious." <Ren> put her hands in her jacket pockets, then sat in the opposite seat.

Kokuto remained silent.

"I didn't have his happy childhood, nor the friendships he had. We're not compatible." <Ren> continued without any emotion. Haruko found it hard to read the look in her eyes. As always like a snake, unreadable. "I'm not like Orimura Ichika. My life is a whole different set of experiences and lessons."

Haruko leaned back in her seat. It was another fifteen minutes before they would arrive at the mainland. A lifetime before their much longer trip northward. "Weren't you tempted to just go to him and confess?"

<Ren> did not answer at first. There was a pang of pain in her heart that moment, but it passed quickly. With an arrogant shrug, hiding her snake eyes behind her cap brim, she snorted in mock disgust.

"Not my style."

"You REALLY sure this is alright?"

"Yeah." <Ren> pulled the cap brim down further, trying not to show her face to Haruko. "To him, I don't exist. He mustn't know I exist."

The sky-tram picked up speed, leaving the call of the warm sun behind.

"It's better this way."

<--------------->

There were heavy footsteps as Ichika slowly dragged his half-dead body to his dorm room. He sighed, possibly for the hundredth time that day. From keeping Laura, Rin and Cecilia from opening fire on one another to avoiding Houki's ire, the remains of his energy were drained from the day's practice session. In front of the room door, he wondered whether or not the girls were getting more out of the practice session than he was. They certainly spent more time duelling each other than training him anything new. If they were more like Charl, he began thinking. Then stopped as he recalled how dangerous a quietly angry Charlotte could also be. Nevermind. Just let me be alone for tonight.

At that moment, the door opened right in front of him.

"Ja-jaan! A wild Tatenashi onee-san appears~!"

"Oh. It's you." Ichika just look back dumbly at Tatenashi Sarashiki's peppy smile. At least she's fully clothed this time.

"Just 'oh, it's you'? That's so cruel, Ichika-kun!" Tatenashi replied in her charmingly joking manner. The trademark folding fan popped open, the words 'tease' written on them. "After all we've been through, is that the way you greet me?"

"I don't have energy left." Orimura shambled past Sarashiki, and just fell facefirst into the bed. There were only two possibilities in his mind: Either Tatenashi was going to tease him again, or she was going to put him through one more practice session. The fact was that he was tired. Too tired to even sleep, as he was still conscious of Tatenashi sitting beside him. The fan gently tapped Ichika's forehead, far more gently than he had been expecting.

Her scent. The familiar fragrance of her closeness soothed him despite Ichika's resistance.

"Ichika-kun?" Tatenashi's voice was oddly subdued this time. "Have you had any other childhood friends?"

A tired but still awake Orimura replied "...you're not going to suddenly make up some crazy story about how you're my third childhood friend, are you?"

"Now, why would I do that?" the fan popped open again to hide her fox-like smile, 'Honesty' written on it. Just as quickly it snapped closed. "Do you remember all of your childhood friends?"

"I'm too tired to make a list."

A giggle. "Then, who's the one you first remember?

"Houki." Ichika smiles despite himself, remembering Houki as a child. Sometimes he found it odd that he could not remember anything at all before his sister brought them to live with the Shinonono family, just as he turned five years old. But it had never really bothered him. Even if Rin and his other old friends Dan and Ran complained about how skewed his memories seemed to be on events.

"Would your childhood friends do everything they could to protect you?"

"I would protect them." Orimura said that absently, remembering the Silverio Gospel incident all too well. And of Laura, Cecilia, and Charlotte. "It doesn't matter how long I know them, I would protect them."

"But would your childhood friends do the same thing for you?"

"Houki would do the same for me. Rin, too. And probably even Dan and Ran--you don't know them." He was getting tired. "They're the only ones, I think."

The room went silent. Ichika felt as if Sarashiki were waiting for him to call out another name. She waited a minute longer before standing up.

"Tatenashi-san?"

"Good night, Ichika-kun." She waved goodbye with a smile on her face as she switched off the lights. "You'll be really busy in the future."

The remark puzzled his fatigue-addled brain. Ichika wondered why Sarashiki's cheerful voice sounded different, almost forced. But he quickly lost consciousness to sleep.

<--------------->

It was dead quiet at twilight when Kokuto halted her car.

The dark blue of the sky was interrupted only by the silent falling of snow. Little patches of white that stuck to the car window only seconds before melting away. Haruko kept the engine and heater running as the vehicle sat on Taisetsu National Highway, on the southern bend where it turned away from the frigid Ishikari River. Daisetsuzan National Park had at its core a volcanic mountain range popular with hikers in summer and skiers in winter. It was not secluded, but in the cold white brush of winter few tourists emerged at night. In the long nights of dark and cold it was ideal for the secretive few to set up camp. The car would travel on through to Sounkyo Gorge and Kitakami, where Kokuto would report back to HQ. But for <Ren> this was the end of the road.

No backpack, not even a quiver for the arrows. Haruko sat silently, observing <Ren> do a final check on her gear. During the long days of travel, <Ren> had managed to stich together the remanants of her old grayed clothing with the insulated white ski jacket and pants Haruko had acquired. <Ren> only wore thin gloves, arguing she needed to keep her hands free. The many shuriken and knives were unseen, hidden in pockets and the belt pouches on <Ren>'s body. Only the two short swords and bow were obvious to Kokuto's view. The arrows she carried were eight, all in her hands.

The trip from the warm summer beaches to the cold mountains was spent mostly in silence, save for the occassional question on the mission. Haruko felt uncomfortable, as <Ren> did not bother to ask why this operation had to be carried out, nor to what purpose. Kokuto surmised that by now, she no longer cared. But the silence was something Haruko did not relish. Oddly, she missed the frequent sharp barbs and sarcasm they used to share.

"Have you ever heard the story of the White Snake?"

<Ren> paused in her task of fitting a white balaclava to her face, giving Haruko a blank look.

"It's an old chinese tale. I just want to talk and keep the air in here warm."

<Ren> pulled off the white mask. "Go ahead."

That was anticlimactic. Haruko was expecting at least a single insult, but decided not to push it. "The story goes that a boy named Xu Xian saved a young white snake from death. The white snake then feels indebted to the boy, and spends the next years of her life learning to become human." Kokuto paused at <Ren>'s impatient glare. "Long story short, a lot of weird light novel hijinks happen, among which she becomes friends with a green snake and gets chased down by a buddhist monk trying to exorcise her. She eventually meets Xu Xian as a young man later on and marries him. Thing is, by this time the monk finally tracks them both down and imprisons the snake. The monk then said their relationship was forbidden by the laws of nature and should never have happened. The end."

"That's a pretty bad ending to a fairy tale."

"People tell fairy tales because they can't tell the truth," Haruko was looking straight ahead. The darkness was deepening, and the snow began to build up. "It doesn't matter if your reasons are good and just. You can't question what's established without being labelled an enemy."

"So I'm as bad as Phantom Task, now?" <Ren> replied. Silence was the response.

The passenger door opened, and cold air cut into the car. <Ren> pulled the white balaclava fit snugly over her mouth and nose, a minor comfort against the frost and snow. The hood of the ski jacket went over that, and only then did Kokuto realize she was looking at <Ren> in her natural state.

Ninja. A white snake in the snow.

"Kokuto." <Ren> held the bow in her right hand, the clutch of arrows in her left. The darkness made it hard to see her eyes through the white mask. "I'm not the tragic heroine in this story."

"I guess not." Haruko chuckled but found herself unable to follow. Always staying behind, where I can't make a difference. Almost an afterthought: "I'll keep you in touch with Ichika's progress."

The wind was beginning to pick up.

"Stop pitying me."

"Pity you? It's the guys you're hunting down I really pity." Haruko spoke with new strength in her voice. Then a smile. "Promise me you'll get back here. It's our job to watch over Orimura Ichika, remember? The job's not done yet."

<Ren> did not turn around.

"I can't make that promise."

The white figure disappeared into the white snow.

<--------------->

Ice tinkled in the glass, cooling the liquid amber fire as Orimura Chifuyu toyed with it.

Brandy. V.S.O.P. Strong. Chifuyu felt she needed a stiffer drink than usual today, and she was well into her fourth. Conversations that hold no meaning for one party, but means everything to the other. Ice sat inside the pouring liquid fire. She began to sip at it, but ended up downing the whole glass. Orimura set it down on the bar table with a clattter, and the bartender was only too happy to refill her drink once more.

"Yamada." Chifuyu softly questioned her companion. "What do you know about Ninja?"

"Ninja? Why the sudden topic?" The bob of green hair that was Yamada Maya comically bent her head to one side. After a few seconds, she decided that Orimura was serious, and responded. "Well, all I know about Ninja are from action movies and stories. It's not like they exist in real life, do they?"

"They once did. Everyone knows a ninja tale. But nobody has the true story." Tinkling. The ice in the near-empty glass played a song as Chifuyu rattled it. "There are many names, alternate readings and meanings. Shinobi. Monomi. Nokizaru. Iga-mono. Read by the chinese it's pronounced <Ren>-<Zhi>. Many names, never the same meaning. Or maybe all of the meanings are deliberately false."

"Just like the Ninja themselves?"

"The word itself means nothing." Chifuyu coldly responded, downing her drink once again. "There are many ways to read the word <Ninja> or <Shinobi>: 'One who practises the art of invisibility', or 'one who steals away at night'. But there is another way of reading the words." Chifuyu motioned to the bartender, who poured her another shot of brandy. "It can also mean 'One Who Endures'." Outwardly she kept her composed demeanor, but she was fully drunk and knew it all too well. To do the work of a monster, you must first become a monster. The senior Orimura almost had a tone of pity with her next words. "One who accepts hardship without reward, or suffers silently being hated by those they protect.

"That's the reason why all ninja lie. Why they encourage stories of their being ruthless, monstrous and inhuman." A clatter as she emptied the next drink. Again, the glass was filled without question. "It's the only way they can protect their hearts from breaking."

Maya, who had absolutely no idea what Chifuyu was talking about, was content to just nod and smile.

I don't want my brother anywhere near her. Silently, she downed her drink in one gulp, the cold fire of alcohol comforting in her gut. She's me. Chifuyu could not smile at the realization. She's the younger me, the me that I could have become. If I had more arrogance than skill. If I had made more mistakes in life.

The me that never had Ichika. Staring into the glass, she could see only her own eyes looking back at her. Someone who can no longer be saved.

<--------------->

Progress was slow through the snow-whipped night.

In the snow, her grey and white suit was invisible. The wind would howl, then suddenly stop. Along with it the snow crystals would either dance lightly or cut at what little was exposed of her face. The cold weather in the valley areas would drop to -4.1 degrees centigrade, but in the mountains it was -10 degrees. That would drop even further the longer at night she stayed. The snow began to curdle in the gust.

Whiteout. When snow and wind struck so strong, that there was no sky and no soil. The sounds of wind made it difficult to hear.

The white was more perfect than darkness.

She stopped in the emptiness. Nothing could be done, as she could not risk losing her way in the near-blizzard. All she could do was stay her ground, wait out the gusts. Alone in the frost of the mountain, <Ren> sat crosslegged in the snow. She set the bow and arrows pinned betwwen legs and right ankle, not wanting to risk their loss. Slowly, her limbs began to numb, but not from the cold.

Focus. Concentration on the task.

Her hands interlocked, and she made gestures known only to herself. The nine kuji-in, hand symbols used to focus one's thoughts in meditation. The symbols both had meaning and had none. A tool, like any blade in <Ren>'s arsenal. Originally a buddhist form of prayer, people long thought these were forms of dark and haunted ninja magic. The Arashikage clan did not bother to correct that misconception.

Time passed so quickly for others, but to her the seconds drew out like churning ages. Nerves slowed, drawing out the small agonies she still felt. Winter moved backward as her mind slowly lost track of pain. The cold. The heat of her breath under her mask.

Focus.

The mind-set of the Arashikage. The cold was forgotten now. The stabbing pain in her right arm and leg continued, but the meaning of that pain faded from view as she picked up her weapons and stood against the wind. Carefully she tested the bow, ensuring the ice and frost had not frozen the cams and wheels on it.

Memory.

Long before she was taught to throw knives, her father taught her this skill. It honed her ability to aim and strike targets. Knives, shuriken and other improvised thrown objects became more practical and common in her line of work, but she began learning with the bow and arrow.

The art of the longbow was a samurai's skill, as much as the long sword was a samurai's weapon. Like the art of the sword, the art of the bow was passed down with meticulously prescribed technique, cerewmony and ritual. For show, not for practical use. <Ren> had no use for ceremony. The bow existed to hit targets at range. A shorter bow, lacking in the range and size of the traditional longbow of old, was more useful to her line of work. Easily carried. Lightweight and durable. And the compound bow she used allowed for more power and range than a traditional short bow of the same size.

She pulled the drawstring, a mild pressure on her right arm. The pain was not gone. It was still there, but merely as a reminder. It did not hinder her, and her thoughts were free of it. The task at hand was all she could think of.

A sound.

Three of the eight arrows were now in her left hand, and she notched one, pointed forward and guiding her way. The other two were hooked between her two small fingers, ready for fast follow-up shots. She wasn't hitting distant targets, but people just a few meters outside her arm's reach.

The Ear that Sees. Her father taught her that skill as well. In a place where vision is unreliable, <Ren> listened intently. Filtering out the noises of wind and snow. She could not shoot on sight, but she could hear them. The steps in the snow, the breaths. The occassional sneeze or muttered curse. Cold wind, and the mildly irritating scent of sulfur. <Ren> remembered that the peaks at Daisetsuzan were all volcanoes, of varying levels of activity. This was one of the many reasons Hokkaido was still popular in the chill of winter; natural hot springs. It was that same reason her targets were stationed here as well.

Hot and cold hell, in the same place.

The whiteout continued, masking her approach to the site. She stopped when the edge of her eye caught movement.

There was a shadow in the white mass.

<Ren> let her instincts, sound and scent guide her, loosing the main arrow. It flew, silent save for the quivering of the drawstring in the cold wind.

The slim shaft penetrated the soft area behind a man's ear. The shadow jerked a second, then slid helplessly to the ground. Silent, small steps in the snow followed as <Ren> checked the body. Tall. Pistol in belt. Mobile phone. A glance at the man's hand. Just out taking a smoke. Probably to avoid the sulfur smell. She was satisfied with her handiwork as the dead man glared back at her accusingly. She pulled the arrow out of the man's skull, wiping off the blood and gore with the snow.

Without another word, <Ren> moved away. She could not trust the white snow and howling wind to last long enough for this mission. A hidden part of her mind excitedly whispered how much easier this was when allowed to kill. Another part felt shame, dreading to think what Ichika would have said or felt about killing. But the mind that was in control only saw these ideas in periphery. Unimportant to the task at hand.

Buildings. No, structures. In the white, there were only the ghostly frames of buildings. Two, maybe three structures that resembled apartments in the cold and grey night. Abandoned housing and offices among the volcanic mountains above the clouds, a commune for a sulfur mine that never got off the ground. The imaginative part of <Ren>'s mind thought of the people here, making their home in a cemetery. The cynical part felt it appropriate for the work she was about to do.

We drove on featureless roads up and down oddly rolling hills for nearly an hour before we finally sighted the battleship-like apartments through the mist. At each crest of a hill we’d stop and pile out of the car, wander off the verge and stare out into the white.

Voices. <Ren> froze but kept the bow steady, unsure of how many were coming her way.

"...swear if he's frozen to death while smoking, I'm going to laugh!" The voice rather than the man cut through the white wind.

"If we find him. It's all goddamn snow. Up, down, left right. Everywhere." A hoarse, angry voice yelled out. A pair of blurred figures moved through the snow. "A whole Self-Defense Force tank batallion could be ten feet in front us and we wouldn't even know they were there."

The hissing of a radio. The voice was more subdued and difficult to hear.

<Ren> held the bowstring tightly, wondering if she had been found. A curse and an afterthought, as she wondered if she should have buried the first body. Haruko would have told me to leave him alone and sneak past.

"I wish they'd hurry up and finish up here. My fingers are freezing off!"

Finally they emerged from the whiteout, two large figures in thick winter clothing. The lead one had a flashlight and handgun out, the snow folding like mist around them. The second was too far away for <Ren> to see. The first man strode past, unaware.

Then the figure of the second man stopped and turned curiously in her direction.

No hesitation.

The first arrow flew, and a gurgled surprise came from the second man's throat. The second was just as rapid, and an electrical pop sounded at the death of the radio. The third shot was fired just in time to puncture the first man's face as he spun around.

<Ren> did not bother to check the bodies or retrieve her arrows, turning toward the ruined buildings.

Would he hate me? There was no pause in her stride as she pulled another three arrows from her right hand. The thoughts in her head were dispassionate, far removed from what she was actually doing. That idiot would hate me. I'm sure of it.

The building she entered was empty, wind howling through the open and shattered windows. But here, the effect of the snow was at least limited. Walking through the empty corridors <Ren>'s vision improved. She made no noise creeping through the building's rotted-through concrete steps and halls, covered in a thin layer snow. Only a casual glance told her that there had been people here. A door ajar, showing the abandoned bed and shelves within. Communal baths with their yellowed white tiles falling into the pure white of the snow. The acoustics of the ruins made it sound like there were more men, further away than she knew they were.

The scent of sulfur grew stronger. <Ren> took a look up at the sign at the corner.

Gymnasium. The community was meant to stand on its own, while mining sulphur and other materials. Facilities, housing and amenities all on the same grounds. The smell of sulfur was growing stronger, almost beckoning <Ren> forward. It grew both brighter and warmer as she approached, and her pace slowed. There were low, subdued voices as if discussions were ongoing. <Ren> stopped at the corner of a doorway. The voices were more distinct, but the echoes in the building made it harder for her to determine numbers. It was also too risky to peer around the corner or use one of her more polished blades as a mirrror.

She set the bow down and took out her tanto. There were cracks in the rotted wooden door frame, which she slowly and quietly widened using the knife's chisel edge. It did not take long for her to make a peephole.

Eight men. Four with submachineguns. Five arrows. She sighted through the peephole. There were cracks in the ground, which was likely the source of heat. And some mechanical equipment she did not recognize. <Ren> doubted she could hit more than three before the rest would pepper her with gunfire. They were preoccupied with their project, with terms <Ren> could not understand, nor did she care about. I only need to hit the target.

She spun around the corner and took aim. Finish it in one shot.

---CRACK.

The bow exploded in <Ren>'s hands as the gunfire shattered the top camwheel. The bowstring whipped around, nearly striking her eye. She dropped the now-useless weapon and ducked behind the wall, gritting her teeth as her ears were assaulted by the echoes of automatic fire. Just as suddenly, the firing stopped.

"I'm a little disappointed that the government only sent one assassin!" A man's voice boasted from within.

So we have a talker. <Ren>'s left hand pulled out a pair of throwing darts, even as she began regretting the injury in her right arm. If she had full ability for both arms, she would just throw her blades at the enemy. There were enough blades for it, but one arm alone couldn't hurl the weapons fast enough or far enough. At best she could wield her shorter sword, use her right like a shield. But there was no way she could use it offensively.

Quickly, she ran out of the hallway. The gunmen would follow.

Leaping through the empty windows, back into the snow. Sudden chill, from the warmer indoors back into the storm. <Ren> barely heard gunfire following her but did not throw the knives. Firing blind, or herding me? <Ren>'s right arm gripped the handle of her Wakizashi, but did not draw the weapon out.

"Do they pay you idiots to think at all?"

<Ren> could hear the shouting over the wind and snow but could not pinpoint its exact location. She scuttled like a crab along the ground, trying to find a target. Her eyes hadn't readjusted from the light indoors, and it was difficult to hear as the wind seemed even stronger than earlier.

"Do you even know who you're targeting? I'm Kanemaru Oura! KANEMARU OURA!!"

I know damn well who you are. <Ren>'s grip tightened on the two throwing knives.

Former Representative for Kanagawa, Kanemaru Oura. A man who was known to be loud and pro-military but otherwise pedestrian in his political career. On retirement, he became a consultant for the US-based Constellis Holdings Private Security firm. Senior Japanese bureaucrats retiring to companies after their stint in government was nothing new; it was practically institutionalized in Japan. Not long afterward, the Johohonbu suspected him of security leaks and the more reluctant Department of Justice agreed. The disgraced ex-politician was later acquitted but asked to leave quietly.

Oura refused to go quietly.

He also promised to get back at the government for this. Politicians making threats were nothing new, but Oura was serious. The last information gleaned by the Johohonbu was that he was organizing some sort of operation in Hokkaido.

Which is where I come in. The reasons for this mission were unimportant. <Ren> had to focus on the task, without distraction. She then heard a soft sound like a rock being dropped, as something was tossed in the snow next to her. A grey-green cylinder with yellow band---

Grenade.

Goddamnit. <Ren> suddenly wondered about karma. Instantly she bolted, before the object exploded. The blast hit her hard, throwing her yards away but without shrapnel. Concussion Grenade. Her ears were ringing painfully. The balaclava and hood did nothing to soften the explosive pressure. More important, she could not hear her enemy and was forced to rely on her sight. Reflexively she threw the knives where the grenade thrower had been, then ran. There was gunfire, but it sounded murky through her deafened ears. She started to feel more pain, realizing she'd landed on her still-healing ribs. Her legs started to ache as she finally turned around another corner of the building. Quickly, she drew out more weapons with her left hand. Shuriken this time. The star-pointed blades would not penetrate as deeply as a proper throwing knife but had more range due to its spin.

"...but the rest of the world goes on." Kanemaru was still talking, yelling into the snow. <Ren>'s hearing was improving as the clipped voices of other people could now be heard. Warning the man to stay down. "But I won't make you forget! Japan needs a proper military force! Japan needs ME!"

He didn't stop ranting, through all of that? <Ren> found herself relying more on her sight despite the white darkness. Whether her target was serious about his promise did not matter. An adrenaline thrill raced through her veins, realizing she just might enjoy killing her target. Small name, big ego. Her smile became cold and wicked.

Why does he have to die?

<Ren> paused, mind suddenly blank. Espionage and assassination were her skills. Unloved by her clan but with too much training invested, she was made into the Johohonbu's knife. From childhood to her pre-teen years, a weapon used against threats to the Japanese Government. Following orders but never once questioning them. She never thought of questioning her orders before.

You never had a problem with it before.

Before, she hadn't been guarding Ichika.

That's not your job anymore. Nervously, she tightened her right fist. Still some pain. Feeling it now. The Arashikage mind-set's focus, her ability to ignore pain and function normally was broken. It's not like you can do anything for that idiot any longer.

Almost too late, she heard a foot crunch behind her. Spinning around, she flung the star-shaped blades into the man's eyes. He screamed, and <Ren> knocked him aside. He was unarmed, not that it mattered to her. Keep focused. She cursed herself for being sloppy. Don't think, act.

Gunfire followed the screaming. The guards, possibly mercenaries Kanemaru had hired. Controlled bursts, trying to draw a bead on her. <Ren> pulled out more shuriken, and started throwing them at and into the building. As expected, the noises of metal on broken concrete or wood were followed by the expected bursts of submachinegun fire. <Ren>'s ears had recovered enough to pinpoint the source of gunfire, as she followed up by hurling straight-bladed throwing knives at the gunmen.

Shuriken to draw their fire, straight knives to the actual target. <Ren> figured she could do this a few more times before they got wise to it, even though the sudden yelps told her that the blades hit home. Too far to be fatal, but definite hits.

Be glad they don't have infrared goggles. Or the multi-phase vision available on some types of IS. Oddly, <Ren> wondered whether Ichika's Byakushiki had the same capability. Stop living in the past or you'll die in the present.

The gunfire stopped.

They're quick to catch on. <Ren> took out more of her throwing blades, noticing her lightness of weight. She was running out of blades and shuriken too quickly. Footsteps following but she could not tell how close. Further she ran intot he abandoned town. Wooden shacks rotting in the snow, construction workers' huts. The place had never been finished before it had closed. Cracked windows spattered with mud and frost glinted slightly back at her, as if the snow itself was giving off an unearthly, glowing light.

Daylight's coming. <Ren> realized it was not an illusion. It was growing lighter, and still the snowstorm dulled her vision.

It's a boy's job to protect a girl, you know.

All of a sudden, she thought she heard Ichika's voice in her mind. And then, her father's voice.

Pay attention to your surroundings.

The sound of footsteps in snow had vanished.

Ambush? <Ren> stopped in her tracks, ears and eyes tensed and seeking out some form of stimuli.

She could hear the man rushing at her before she saw him, an indeterminate object in his hand.

Knife. Her left hand flicked upward, a snake spitting venom. Her weapon was a thin blade, optimized for straight flight. Pinpoint hit to the wrist, forcing the man to drop the object as he cries out. Not a knife. A now-familiar soft sound in the snow.

Another concussion grenade.

<Ren> bolts, even as the man clumsily fumbles for the weapon. The sudden blast flings her sideways. A wooden shack broke her fall. <Ren> was thankful that she was being slammed into her left side. Balancing out the pain. She was more prepared this time, rolling with the blast and coming to a stop on her knees.

Stupid. <Ren> tore the splinter-filled balaclava from her face. She couldn't tell if the shredding pain was from the cold of the splinters ripping into her face.Careless. Stupid.

A click. Metal on metal, a gun being readied.

Oura.

"Keep those hands away from your swords." Gun trembling in his hand, a mix of terror and delight on Kanemaru's face. He was alone, possibly trailing his bodyguards when they went after <Ren> in the storm. The wind was beginning to die out, and she could clearly see the man's face. "Stay on your knees. Hands on the ground."

<Ren> silently obeyed, hands in the cold snow. Oura hadn't yelled out to his colleagues but the explosion would bring them round soon enough.

"Not so scary without your knives, eh?" Only brave against a girl when holding a weapon. The courage granted by holding a gun, not a true courage. Nowhere near bravery. "Those cowards in the Diet couldn't even face me in a fair fight!"

"Cowards?" <Ren> could not help but mock the man. The pistol he held was more like a toy than an actual weapon, the way he held it. "This coming from someone too scared to face a little girl without a gun."

"I'm not stupid!" He spat in the tone of a fool after being found out. "I know the Johohonbu sent you! You're all afraid of me!" The politician was forcing himself to smile. Faking courage that he had none of. "You want me silenced. Why?"

"Not my department. Not my job."

"Because you're afraid of me, that's why! You're afraid of Kanemaru Oura!" A ham actor, finally given his captive audience. A small part of <Ren> wished he wouldn't try to kill her with bloated monologue. "You're afraid because you know I'm right! I am the hope for Japan! I am a patriot!"

You're a loony. <Ren> realized she didn't really care why Kanemaru Oura was marked for death, and that it didn't really matter. All she wanted to do was make him shut up. Permanently.

"It no longer matters." Kanemaru's laugh was off-kilter, like a record being scratched while playing. "What can you do? You have no weapons left!"

Oura was wrong. There were weapons all around her. Shards of cold icicles were mixed in uneven, jagged edges like shattered glass sticking out of the snow and street. They were swimming in a sea of cold swords.

"A knife is just a tool to be used and thrown away. Not even worth the respect and value of a sword. But more great men were killed by a knife than with a sword." The words from the girl's lips seemed to cause the air to freeze. "And you're not much of a man, either."

Kanemaru fidgeted, holding his gun in both hands but visibly trembling. "How dare you speak to me like that!"

"Because you're nothing." <Ren> remained kneeling, hands in the snow and ice. Her right hand clutched a good-sized icicle. Just the right length. "You're just another target."

"What'll you do? Throw a snowball at me?"

"Yes." <Ren> smiled her devilishly cruel smile. "Bet your life on it?"

"Watch the suit, little girl." He laughed aloud, carelessly pointing at her with his pistol. "I'll kill you if you stain it."

The wind whistled in the cold, piercing even his insides. A second later, the man realized it was not the wind or the cold that he was feeling. The assassin was holding her right arm straight. As though she had thrown something. Frightened, Oura looked down.

Blood staining the snow and pinkish garbled flesh was running from the insides of his stomach down to his pants leg. The blunt end of an icicle sticking out of his abdomen, which he never noticed even being there. He didn't even see her throw the weapon. There wasn't even pain until he realized that the slowly growing hole in his stomach really should hurt.

"Oh, I'm sorry." <Ren> sneered back, even as she felt the muscles in her right arm spasm in white-hot pain. "I cut your suit."

Oura stammered silently, suddenly kneeling. Frustrated, angry. But unable to give voice to them. The talkative man, unable to speak as he dropped facefirst into the snow.

There was no remorse. But neither was there was no exhilaration.

It feels empty. <Ren> found herself giggling despite standing in the cold silence. A slightly mad, empty laugh as she looked up at the incoming footsteps in the snow. By now, the wind and snow had stopped, and <Ren> was in clear daylight.

The guards had finally caught up to her.

What took you so long? <Ren> resisted the urge to insult them openly. They were angry. Some had blood streaking across their suits and faces. Some of them still had her knives sticking out of their arms. Injured and scared, but most of all angry.

<Ren> drew her swords. Her real swords. Straight and curved. Her right hand lancing in pain as she carried the handle tightly.

The men had their guns drawn. The guards formed a wall between her and freedom.

Say what you may. <Ren> wielded her blades backhanded, as her father and his forefathers before had when taking a life. With a bitter but rare honest smile. In the end I am still my father's child.

Gunfire erupted.
Old 2015-02-07, 04:58   Link #55908
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Last bit. Finally.
Quote:
<--------------->

Words. All words.

Kokuto sat silently in her seat, eyes fixed on a blank point in front of her. The words spoken made no sense to her, and she made no effort to understand them. It was just more of the same. More of the Japanese bureaucratic formality that ordinary people could not understand. The Johohonbu regional office desk carried on its paperwork as if nothing was happening. Saving face, pretending that all was well.

They were blind, and Haruko alone could see.

Heads were rolling, figuratively and literally. The reassignments were being treated as routine, but the truth was the Johohonbu was now being taken apart. Small and large pieces both removed. Most of the top-ranked at HQ had already resigned. Two had already committed suicide rather than face the shame. Not many knew what the real cause of the change was. Those that did cursed the existence of <Ren> and the actions she took that ruined them.

All on target. As if it had been planned from the very beginning. Haruko thought of her secret thumbdrive, and was tempted to spill her findings. But that would be pointless. The man in front of her was a desk drone, one who wouldn't know the value of proper intelligence if it was handed to him via street parade.

Or was he really as mindless as he seemed?

Could Phantom Task have already infiltrated the Johohonbu? Despite herself, Kokuto smirked. Does it even matter? Even if the organization still existed, the Johohonbu's sterling reputation was in ruins. The formalities, the paperwork involved. Being transferred to the regional liason desk was a career-ending role. Everything Haruko was being put through now was a farce. They were putting her aside, in a position where she could do nothing but quietly follow orders.

Many other agents were being shuffled around, or losing their jobs entirely. With the backing of the Government and the Ministry of Justice, the Koanchosa-cho was now effectively neutering its rival.

What next, a prewar Japan police state? The memory of the raided apartment was back in her mind. That was probably an exaggeration, but the change meant subtlety was going to be ignored from here on.

"When we find the body, you will be called forth to identify it."

"You won't find a body." Haruko replied.

The desk agent did not bat an eyelash, not even registering what was said. "Your reassignment will take place in a week, Agent Kokuto. Please take that time to reflect on your actions and ensure accidents do not occur again in the future."

"You won't find a body." Haruko repeated. "She's alive."

"Agent Kokuto, your dedication to your work and colleagues is noted and appreciated. But please understand and accept your new assignment." He did not once look at her, much less empathize. "That will be all."

"She's still alive."

Flat. Bored. The Desk agent simply asked: "And that changes things...how?"

Haruko opened her mouth, but stopped. Gritting her teeth was all she could do in the face of bureaucracy. But she could not help giving at least one parting shot. "You really think you're doing the right thing?"

No response. The senior agent was already thinking of more important matters, such as his transfer papers to the Koanchosa-cho and his upcoming vacation to Hawaii.
Old 2015-02-07, 05:18   Link #55909
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

And now FF.net doesn't allow me in.
Quote:
503 Service Unavailable

No server is available to handle this request.
Old 2015-02-07, 06:57   Link #55910
I'm-here-present

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
And now FF.net doesn't allow me in.
You're not the only one. I can't even log in.
I'm-here-present is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-07, 06:57   Link #55911
demino_hellsin
That one guy

It could be worse. A data glitch could've wiped out your account and every piece of work you put in it.
Old 2015-02-07, 07:51   Link #55912
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

That just means a server is down.

And back up each and every one of your stories. It would be a shame ... if something where to...HAPPEN to them....
Old 2015-02-07, 11:06   Link #55913
bitmeister
Expert Procrastinator

who knows, maybe FF.net is sentient and is thinking

"Wait, you're going to post THAT MUCH!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" *shuts down*
Old 2015-02-07, 13:25   Link #55914
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I have to say that it was a brilliant story, just that I could also have been a complete stand alone. leave of the IS and this still would be a brilliant piece of work.

What I'm musing about is, When does an infinite stratos fic stop being one?

Not going to take away anything from your work though, wave-ojii. This had got to be the best IS fic around.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-08, 03:05   Link #55915
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

I'm not sure if I should leave it at that. I mean, the main character's functionally dead. But remember that bit about stuff I chopped out of this fic? I might put in one last part after all, but focusing on Chifuyu---or more accurately, Chifuyu putting the pieces back together just before the World Purge incident. Basically, she knew that this was going to happen. And two characters have the info she needs--one's dead. The other just got reassigned to nowhere.

Not sure if I can be bothered actually writing about it, since I think the story is pretty much over. But there's some bits I don't want to go to waste.

Also, the fic is (Technically) not a crossover, but I'm still surprised nobody's gotten the obvious G.I. Joe references. Am I that old?
Old 2015-02-08, 03:52   Link #55916
Rokumonsen
Fear the Spear

What if Ichika gets the personality of Inaho Kaizuka?
Old 2015-02-08, 04:03   Link #55917
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle's Nest View Post
What if Ichika gets the personality of Inaho Kaizuka?
- No. I've already considered writing something along those lines (long before Aldnoah.Zero came out), and it just wouldn't work. Inaho's character works in his world (Aldnoah) but I think that sort of character wouldn't nearly be as interesting in the world of IS. On the one hand we'd be a lot further along the story (eg less harem hijinx and more tactical battles), but on the other hand we wouldn't see as many characters come into play. Inaho's character...just won't win a lot of friends over in a short span of time, and given the pace and tempo he'll be operating there won't be any time for that to happen--not without it coming across as forced...that's why in Aldnoah it works, because he's already had plenty of time to be close to a small group of friends--he and his sister have put up roots in a community. The way Chifuyu and Ichika moved around so much, there's not a lot of chance of that happening. So if you had an Inaho-like Ichika, he'd be able to get along with Houki and Rin, but that's pretty much it.

About the closest approximate I can think of would be Tatsuya from Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei. And while it's not bad, the pacing of that series is a bit different from IS.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE for Ichika to be a more badass character. But I'd also want to see that happen as part of character growth, not "I'll fix this by inserting a totally new character in Ichika's body". There's potential for it, but it has to be understandable and developed, not just "BOOM" instant badass configuration.

- Also, the part I left out but really want to put in (why did Chifuyu recognize the tattoo on <Ren>'s arm?):
Quote:
I probably shouldn't have had that last drink.

Orimura Chifuyu could already feel the throbbing of her head, long before the
headache itself would come. This was what happened, whenever she went out drinking
to relieve her stress. She could carry it well, and most at the academy could not
tell that she was experiencing a hangover.

It was unavoidable that she would turn to the occassional drink, given her brother
and that gaggle of girls surrounding him. She didn't know where to start--to scold
him, congratulate him, or simply beat his thick head silly with a thick book.
Five...no, six girls interested in him. All of whom posessing the most powerful
weapons systems in the world. And still he had no idea what he was capable of.
That was her brother Ichika. On the verge of such importance, he was STILL
clueless.

But it wasn't that. It was stress of a different sort and reason that drove her to
drink tonight. Something she didn't relish thinking about.

As Chifuyu placed one hand on the handle of her door, she stopped.

The door handle was warm. And the scent of cigarette tobacco.

It couldn't be the students, all of whom living in terrified respect of her. Her
stupid brother knew better than to walk in on her. And the dorm was located well
within IS Academy, no outsiders would dare invade the premises. Plus, nobody
smoked on campus. Definitely not the students, and to Orimura's knowledge none of
the teachers smoked.

Cautiously, Chifuyu walked into her room and found the culprit, as the person was
making no attempt to hide. A man, sitting in her favorite chair. Dressed in a
clean black suit and tie, holding a half-finished cigarette in one hand while
reading a torn yellowed copy of Musashi's Book of Five Rings. Chifuyu's own copy
of the book.

A man Chifuyu knew well.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

There was a smile on the man's face, smug and familiar.

"Is that any way to talk to an old friend, Chi-chan?" asked Hijikata Jo with an
evil, secretive smile.

"Don't Chi-chan me." Chifuyu's brow furrowed in suspicion. She and Hijikata were
anything but friends. Quietly, she entered and shut the door behind her. "To what
do I owe the pleasure of having the Strong Master of the Arashikage visit?"

Last edited by wavehawk; 2015-02-08 at 04:54.
Old 2015-02-08, 06:55   Link #55918
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- No. I've already considered writing something along those lines (long before Aldnoah.Zero came out), and it just wouldn't work. Inaho's character works in his world (Aldnoah) but I think that sort of character wouldn't nearly be as interesting in the world of IS. On the one hand we'd be a lot further along the story (eg less harem hijinx and more tactical battles), but on the other hand we wouldn't see as many characters come into play. Inaho's character...just won't win a lot of friends over in a short span of time, and given the pace and tempo he'll be operating there won't be any time for that to happen--not without it coming across as forced...that's why in Aldnoah it works, because he's already had plenty of time to be close to a small group of friends--he and his sister have put up roots in a community. The way Chifuyu and Ichika moved around so much, there's not a lot of chance of that happening. So if you had an Inaho-like Ichika, he'd be able to get along with Houki and Rin, but that's pretty much it.

About the closest approximate I can think of would be Tatsuya from Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei. And while it's not bad, the pacing of that series is a bit different from IS.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE for Ichika to be a more badass character. But I'd also want to see that happen as part of character growth, not "I'll fix this by inserting a totally new character in Ichika's body". There's potential for it, but it has to be understandable and developed, not just "BOOM" instant badass configuration.

- Also, the part I left out but really want to put in (why did Chifuyu recognize the tattoo on <Ren>'s arm?):
Hijikata... A bit unoriginal, don't you think?

Question: Why did ISA is a high school? It gives a feeling that those who graduated from it (other than the engineers) immediately enlist, or train for Mondo Grosso.

Kind of like Chinese's Athletic system - separate potential candidate from their family, then giving them all means and one end: Win an Olympic medal.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-08, 07:27   Link #55919
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Because really college is not a compulsary level of education. I think it was only in recent decades that being a college graduate became taken for granted. Many countries still hire with a minimum of having a highschool degree instead of college.

So ISA being a highschool means that it sets you up in the last years of mandatory education so you can do whatever afterwards.
Old 2015-02-08, 12:26   Link #55920
bitmeister
Expert Procrastinator

It may be a high school just because of the sheer cost of college in japan. Then again, Izuru needs to keep the harem young, no?

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest