AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-20, 10:29   Link #1
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Veritas

Action, Fantasy, Martial arts, Shounen, Supernatural
Author: Kim Dong-hoon
Artist: Yoon Joon-shik

From OneManga:
Gangryong is a high schooler unlike others. He has always had a dream of being the strongest. One day he meets Youcheon, who teaches him a powerful skill. One year later, people come to see him and announce that his "master" is dead. Because he was his only student, Gangryong has to follow them and go to a school where everybody has supernatural powers.

This is a pretty good fighting manga. The premise is alot like Tenhou Tenge(I've only seen the anime, so that's what I'm comparing it to); a relatively normal guy who wants to get stronger ends up getting taught an unique technique, then ends up going to a school of superpowerful fighters that he has no chance against[at first] to increase his strength. Gangryong is even kinda like Soichirou, except not as stupid. There's no romantic interests and only minor comedy, but the story is still pretty good. The art is drawn very nicely, with a bit more of emphasis to detail during the fight scenes. There's only 26 chaps translated(out of 56/8 vols), which isn't really alot due to how the story progresses, but still manages to keep my interests.

As far as the fighting goes, within Reunion(which is the school), there are various fighting styles and special techniques the students learn; some passed down solely through the student's family, while others are from the school's curriculum. Reunion attempts to learn and study these secret arts, so that they can incorporate the best techniques into their strongest fighters. There's also an energy(ki) system that is distributed to all of the students; the more ki you get, the stronger you become. What I like the most about this is that Gangryong isn't given any ki from this system, as his technique's ki relies on a more potent, self-purifying kind(the ki the school gives is more difficult to purify), easily making that method of getting stronger by getting more power null.

The other major(i.e. most seen) characters have depth to them, so they aren't bland stereotypes by any means. Rud and Jeeha, two of the 11 strongest fighters are seemingly nice guys on the outside, but also seems to harbor other emotions as well. My fav though is Honse, since he seems to provide what little comic relief this manga has. I also think Shinra(Yungshinla) is pretty funny too, but only because she acts like this[read left to right plz]:
Spoiler for chp 3 pg4/5 img:

The main woman, Vera, who's the head of the student council and the antagonist at this point, doesn't suit my fancy, though she does have good backstory.

I think that's about it. I think if you're a fan of a good fighting manga like Tenhou Tenge, this could strike your fancy. Or not.

Last edited by frubam; 2010-12-28 at 08:00.
Old 2009-03-20, 13:22   Link #2
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Y'know, I was just thinking of making a thread for it. Nice summary - the names are an issue though since this is a Korean manwha.

I read up to the latest chapter (26) and I think that this is the Korean variant of Tenjou Tenge. Not saying that it's a rip-off but you can kinda see influences and such. Although the girls in here tend to keep their clothes a little better (not by much) but a little better.

And Lightning Tiger is awesome.

The art is great - not Oh! Great - but it's pretty darn good.
Old 2009-03-20, 15:13   Link #3
Sokar

Great series. I think it's quite different from the TT manga. TT manga went into crazy town after the whole dragon's gate/red feathers business....you know what I mean. It's definitely more like TT anime, more down to earth and school based.

Also, is it just me or is animesuki manga forum pretty down on manhwa. So many good manhwa, so little discussion....
Old 2009-03-20, 18:12   Link #4
X207
Gamyūsa

im not too crazy about veritas but i like it enough to make sure im up to date with it. im sure that its going to get pretty good once the main character gets better in controlling his inner ki. that short haired girl on student council is rather amusing. she seems to be a good girl but shes rather vulgar at times lol.
Old 2009-03-20, 22:47   Link #5
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

I like the girl in chapt 26 that showed up... I hope that's Madoka, I really do. The fights are done pretty well all things considered and the girls are normal looking - no one's sporting Maya Natsume sizes or anything.
Old 2009-03-21, 00:29   Link #6
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
I like the girl in chapt 26 that showed up... I hope that's Madoka, I really do. The fights are done pretty well all things considered and the girls are normal looking - no one's sporting Maya Natsume sizes or anything.
Yeah, me too. I'm kinda thinking Honse is in on them meeting each other. She might be the char that 'likes' the main protaganist. And I say 'like' because she still might be like Veba or Yungshinla toward him, even if she thinks he's cute/attractive or whatever. And I thought the girls sizes were above average, though my def of above-avg might be diff from yours or maybe it just looks like that because of the clothes..
Old 2009-03-21, 08:03   Link #7
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Well, they might be above average in the normal world...but not in the manga/anime world. And now that I think about it....you could be right about Honse...he seems like the type to set stuff up like that while making himself seem like an idiot.
Old 2009-03-21, 09:30   Link #8
kakakka

I have read this long time ago, but there isn't much to talk about, yet.
The main thing that got me interested is the idea of small pure ki = large chunk of ki, which is what I think is the main's only hope against the people in the school.
Old 2009-03-22, 02:51   Link #9
Cinocard

The scanslations are catching up to the Raw. Actually the whole first dozen chapters have a rush feeling to it, like how the mangaka wanted to go into bigger stuffs quick. And I can tell you that the bigger stuffs are coming

Quote:
Well, they might be above average in the normal world...but not in the manga/anime world. And now that I think about it....you could be right about Honse...he seems like the type to set stuff up like that while making himself seem like an idiot.
Really, In chapter 26 Honse owns. He's a super mega asshole but good friend for you
Old 2009-03-22, 03:37   Link #10
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Honse is great! Honestly he's the perfect personality for this manga. On one hand, you have the underdog and stubborn protagonist, and the elitist antagonists. Honse really reminds me of that carefree kind of guy who has a great heart but shows it in the strangest ways. He fits perfectly between the smug and the stupid.

About the women of this title - well, they're all hot. It's not glorified t&a which is a nice change, but everyone in the book has superhuman powers and physiques to go with them. Eye candy is good!
Old 2009-03-22, 03:47   Link #11
Iron Maw
Banned

Anyone have the feeling that this whole "date" is a setup?
Old 2009-03-22, 09:20   Link #12
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Heh, she's pretty hot for a 'setup date'. I wish mine in highschool were like her - yet another reason to go to Korea...
Old 2009-03-26, 16:37   Link #13
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Well Chapter 27 is out ...

Ms Fanservice has arrived~
Old 2009-03-26, 17:02   Link #14
Ultenth

Indeed she has. And you know what? I'm okay with that.
Old 2009-03-26, 18:36   Link #15
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Heh, she's pretty hot for a 'setup date'. I wish mine in highschool were like her - yet another reason to go to Korea...
Indeed she was pretty hot, but I dont see any happy endings that are going to happen.

What I suspect is going to happen is either she was just using him too make someone jealous, or she was just messing with him.
Old 2009-03-26, 19:57   Link #16
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

She (Han EunMee/Madoka) doesn't seem like the type to use him to make someone else jealous... she can do that all by herself, looking the way she does. Seems that she isn't quite hung up on Lightning Tiger like everyone else is. That and she's actually Korean instead of being Japanese - +1 for the 'home team'.

Vera comes off as having one of those weird crushes on L.T. because of what he did to her. I really don't care for her as a character, even if she's trying to surpass her 'godly' sister.
Old 2009-03-27, 17:05   Link #17
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Makihara Madoka > all the other girls

altho I am a fan of Vera, I do love her look, Madoka is made of moar win!
Something about her I just find extremely alluring, my fav girl of the series
Old 2009-03-28, 00:20   Link #18
PNGO
#1 in ♦YouR♦ ♥HuRt♥ ♂

I hope this gets animated, I don't know why but I seem to LOVE almost every manhwa I've read so far. This manhwa has so many badasses it's just so damn great!!!!
Old 2009-03-28, 09:29   Link #19
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Lol this chapter was okei, it seems there is a girl who "might" fall in love with him. But I have to say that the joke page that appeared by helz0ne the whole "Rape Time" thing actually made me laugh for 5 mintues because I actually thougth he said that

I mean first there having a discussion and when he started too say something serious I flipped on the next page and boom Rape time.
Old 2009-03-28, 15:30   Link #20
frubam
simp for Lyria

Nice chap. Madoka... I got a feeling I'm gonna like this girl . She's hot and she's not a *****, like Veba is. It should be interesting to see how she, being one of the top 5 is going to influence what goes on in the school, esp since she's going to take Yungshinla's place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
Lol this chapter was okei, it seems there is a girl who "might" fall in love with him. But I have to say that the joke page that appeared by helz0ne the whole "Rape Time" thing actually made me laugh for 5 mintues because I actually thougth he said that

I mean first there having a discussion and when he started too say something serious I flipped on the next page and boom Rape time.
Yeah that was hilarious ! Much better to integrate it into the actual pages rather than having it at the end.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, martial arts, shounen, supernatural