AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-04-28, 22:43   Link #1
The-Wolf-Of-Mibu

The clashing "modernity" in the Naruto world [Anime]

Forgive me if this topic has been addressed in the past [I did a search but could not find one]

I am somewhat "irritated" by the modern aspect in naruto. They should stick strictly to ancient/archaic type setting. It sorta kills immersion when you see things like cranes, peple using electronic walkie talkies.

Take for example when they were explaing the history behind the Hyuuga Clan. They explain the dynamics of the head and the brach family and then they completely kill the story by saying that enemies want Byakuggen and will exploit it using surgery and DNA analysis ......

Like i said, kills the immersion and belivablity factor.
The-Wolf-Of-Mibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 22:45   Link #2
Lost World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Wolf-Of-Mibu
Forgive me if this topic has been addressed in the past [I did a search but could not find one]

I am somewhat "irritated" by the modern aspect in naruto. They should stick strictly to ancient/archaic type setting. It sorta kills immersion when you see things like cranes, peple using electronic walkie talkies.

Take for example when they were explaing the history behind the Hyuuga Clan. They explain the dynamics of the head and the brach family and then they completely kill the story by saying that enemies want Byakuggen and will exploit it using surgery and DNA analysis ......

Like i said, kills the immersion and belivablity factor.
Uh, no. It makes it interesting.

This isn't meant to be a real world for gods sakes. These are ninjas who can summon gigantic animals to fight for them for chrissakes!
Lost World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 22:47   Link #3
whoopingllama

I don't mind the technology THAT much but why do they have headsets and all that stuff and still use ox-carts?
whoopingllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 22:47   Link #4
The-Wolf-Of-Mibu

Thats not the point. The point is if thi is modern world, where are the guns and such. An ak-47 doesnt care about gaara's absolute defence. It just throws the whole concept of ninja's and ninja villages out of whack.
Old 2004-04-28, 22:51   Link #5
whoopingllama

Yeah but I see Sasuke Uchiha's point. This is a totally made up world. so it doesn't follow the same rules as our world. If there were guns it would be REALLY dumb.
whoopingllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 22:56   Link #6
Lost World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Wolf-Of-Mibu
Thats not the point. The point is if thi is modern world, where are the guns and such. An ak-47 doesnt care about gaara's absolute defence. It just throws the whole concept of ninja's and ninja villages out of whack.
Um, because Kishimoto said that this is before guns were invented in the Naruto world. You need to go read some Kishimoto interviews.
Lost World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 22:58   Link #7
n00blike
member 69 of S.P.A. ;)

what about in the mist eps when they where at the bridge and the workers are using a crane but there seems to be no cars around! lol i would think that a car would come first, pluse it has rubber wheels too! LOL
n00blike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 22:59   Link #8
The-Wolf-Of-Mibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasuke Uchiha
Um, because Kishimoto said that this is before guns were invented in the Naruto world. You need to go read some Kishimoto interviews.
They invented lazer eye surgery, cranes , and electronic walkie talkies before they did guns?

Im sorry but im not the level of fan to go look for interviews.
Old 2004-04-28, 23:01   Link #9
Muad'Dib
The Burninator

I like the modernity in the Naruto world. It sorta brings it closer to a point where we can identify with it, yet the ninja aspect keeps it exotic.

Ninja's wouldn't really need guns as they can blow fire and stuff. There'd be no market for something like a gun because the ninjas in command would suppress it as it would take away from their power.

Their clothes aren't archaic--sunglasses sure as heck aren't. I think it makes the ninjas cool and hip to be up to date.
Muad'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 23:02   Link #10
Bronwen Stx
Did you say something?

Not to be a prick or anything but stretch your imagination will you, it doesn't hurt a bit. While I do understand your skepticism in the modern pretenses Naruto's world has, I think it creates a nice edge and it gives credibility to said mangauthor himself that has something called an 'imagination' which stretches the law of relativity and logic that us fans unfortunately has. Therefore we delve into other people's mind because we do so love their imagination.

You are right of course, why not use guns or a big nuclear bomb to crack Kyuubi while he was still physically alive or kill Gaara with that? Well, with that in mind, there really is no point in Naruto now is there?

In the world of manga, nobody ever said it had to make sense. Just enjoy it.
Bronwen Stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 23:04   Link #11
A Lamer
あほぉ&

Again, this isnt the same universe. To invent something, someone has to actually think of it, and nobody has thought of it in that world. Besides, in the naruto universe, would guns really be that useful? Gaara can harden his sand enough to prevent a bullet from killing him, and there and there are hundreds of ninjutsu that are far more useful.
A Lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 23:06   Link #12
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Since when has things in anime ever made sense anyways? I mean, people can jump 100 ft in the air, walk on water, climb trees with their legs, they move at speeds so fast, you can't see them, they can summon giant animals, so who cares if they have a LITTLE technology. This has been discussed before and the overall consensus is that people like that twist.

It's not like the technology ruins Naruto. No one ever says, "omg, there's a crane in a ninja world. I gotta stop watching this show right now because everything is ruined."

Technology plays only a minor, minor part in Naruto. If it bugs you that much you should like...get over it or something.
Old 2004-04-28, 23:07   Link #13
Xarrais
Hinata *drool*

He didn't say really before guns. He said something more like the world of naruto has about the same lvl of technology as we do but it is a world where guns where never invented.

They have refridgerators TV's other electronic Equipment just no guns.

Which isn't really a totally out of the question thing. In the naruto world they can throw shrukens with the same force of a bullet and there justsu's are far stronger than guns. SO in warfare they were just never needed.
Xarrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 23:11   Link #14
Merco
I like pie

I think Kishimoto mentioned something about this.

He said words to the effect that bullets outlived their usefullness. And the average jutsu could beat it. When you think about it, he's right.

(Just to warn you, this part below goes beyond technical, and when I say it, I'm speaking directly from theory and assumptions, I recognize this as being nerdy/geeky/both, so you don't need to state the obvious :P)

Most ninjas in Naruto have an excellent sense of detection (Akamaru's nose. Neji's eyes, hell, maybe even sharingan). Keeping a gun that has the gunpowder is a dead giveaway. Same goes with loading the gun... Moreover, with such abilities as Kawarimi, the jutsu is so fast that they leave an after-image of getting attacked by a weapon. Anybody who tries to pull a gun in sight could easily be effected by a genjutsu, moreover anybody who tries hiding from a 'good' ninja with a gun really wouldn't do a good job hiding since if the ninja was good, he wouldn't be seen anyway...
Merco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 23:13   Link #15
Muad'Dib
The Burninator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarrais
Which isn't really a totally out of the question thing. In the naruto world they can throw shrukens with the same force of a bullet and there justsu's are far stronger than guns. SO in warfare they were just never needed.
I can throw a shuriken with the force of a bullet. F=ma, yo.

Well, guns could be used in warfare. The great advantage of gun warfare is that any idiot can fire a gun. Kakashi said he'd have trouble with a gang of sword/rake bearing hooligans (he was tired, tho',) and just think of the trouble he'd have if each one was carrying an uzi.

But anyway, this is why there's such a thing as suspension of belief.
Muad'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 23:14   Link #16
n00blike
member 69 of S.P.A. ;)

the crane has never bothered me just seems kinda funny
I just hope we don't run into a ninja that has like a robotic arm, laser eye, and who know what els.

hmmm lee using the bowflix?
or naruto microwaving his ramen? (i think that happened already not sure)
sakura pleasing her self with a ****
or kakashi driving a viper and macing on the ladies!

lol
naw
i like naruto how it is ...
n00blike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 23:23   Link #17
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

I guess you could accuse Masashi Kishimoto for creating a Toriyama's world shonen.. but theres no point realy.
Old 2004-04-28, 23:25   Link #18
Hanabishi_Recca
Parrothead

An AK-47 can't cut through Gaara's sand. Hell needles that could piece 5mm thick steel couldn't. Two, all the characters actually wear somesort of protective vest. Even though the Chunin/Jounin ones are more obvious, they are all flack jackets. Flak jackets stop bullets, but not knives. Three, it actually noted by law enforcement officers that within arms reach or lunging distance a knife is far more deadly than a gun. Four, you run out of ammo you are fucked. or you run out of ammo you are- wait this guys a walking flame thrower, and that one just summoned a toad bigger than Godzilla.
Hanabishi_Recca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 23:26   Link #19
A Lamer
あほぉ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00blike
sakura pleasing her self with a ****
She already does! I saw it in the manga.. yeah thats it.. the official manga...

/me fabricates a manga page
A Lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 23:30   Link #20
The-Wolf-Of-Mibu

Its not that the bullets can cut through. I meant that they are too fast. Gunfire is more or less instatneneous.

Nevertheless i dont like the overall tone of this thread. Theres alot of hate going around for no reason.