AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-20, 07:31   Link #1
~sylf~

Something with good animation and story... there must be something somewhere..

Hajimemashite, douzo yoroshiku mina-san,
I'm in need of something new to get hooked into, and my real-life friends are no help, being into different genres from me. It'd be great if I could get some suggestions here. My only general requirements are good animation (I'm a total sucker for good graphics) and a decent storyline. Things I don't want are immature, annoying characters or over-fanservicing. That's a bit vague though, so here's a list of things that I liked:

Shounen: Death Note, Code Geass, Darker than Black, Full metal alchemist, Chrono Crusade. Basically, shounen + good story, animation and character.

Shoujo: Trinity Blood, Kuroshitsuji, Pet shop of horrors (manga), Wolf's Rain. I tend to like darker series here. I read some Vampire knight manga, but it's too full of lame cliches and reverse-harems of unrealistically romantic bishounen.

Anime with humour that I've also liked: Ouran high school host club and Full metal Panic Fumoffu

Anything that seems to fall in either of these three groups would be great. I'd prefer to watch something within the last few years, but I'll watch an older if the animation is decent.

Thanks for any suggestions!

~sylf
Old 2010-08-20, 09:38   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

My standby Seirei no Moribito is the call I'd make here. If you want a great story and great animation, you won't find better.
Old 2010-08-20, 09:52   Link #3
JRendell
Manga Addict

My shout for this sort of suggestion is always Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~. It has one of the best storylines, as well as some brilliant animation, actions scenes and heartbreaking drama scenes. Definitely worth a check out.
Old 2010-08-20, 10:48   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

My recommendation is to watch more anime films. I recommend Kara no Kyoukai.
Old 2010-08-20, 12:07   Link #5
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
My standby Seirei no Moribito is the call I'd make here. If you want a great story and great animation, you won't find better.
Agreed it has both here and no immature factors at all; if the OP's purpose is fit by it, I'd also recommend The Twelve Kingdoms
MAL
Old 2010-08-20, 13:29   Link #6
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

I have yet to watch it, am about to watch it right now, but apparently it got some good reviews...Eve no Jikan it's called.

It's 6 episodes long and they took about a little over a year to release all 6 episodes, each spanning about 15 to 20 minutes long, with the final episode being 30 minutes. So as you can imagine, the animation is definitely better than your average anime...and apparently the story is pretty good. I'll be watching them right now so when I finish I can come back and update this post.

edit:

Okay I really liked the series a lot, it was quite nice, a good mix of humor and some other stuff, kinda went through the same emotions/thoughts/or similar thoughts at least.

Last edited by miroku2192; 2010-08-21 at 00:23.
Old 2010-08-20, 14:15   Link #7
Smithsky

Seconding Seirei no Moribito and suggesting Xam'd, Eden of the East, Kure-nai.
Old 2010-08-20, 20:16   Link #8
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Gankutsuou!!!!

I just won a prize for suggesting this anime for the 1,000th time!

*Confetti falls*

But seriously, it's what you're looking for...Trust me, just go get it, like now...
Old 2010-08-20, 20:37   Link #9
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

To Aru Majutsu no Index, Eden of the East, Kara no Kyoukai, Pandora Hearts, Seitokai no Ichizon, WORKING!!, and Azumanga Daioh
Old 2010-08-20, 23:05   Link #10
~sylf~

Thanks for all the good recommends everyone! The only one that I've seen from what everyone listed is Karas no Kyoukai (didn't finish; found one episode a bit too perverted and off-putting). There's obviously a lot of good gems out there that are just a bit hard to find if they're not as popular as Naruto. Excellent, I shall get started right now since Funimation's put Requiem for the Phantom on Youtube - it's so similar to Darker than Black it's awesome. Gankutsuo... The Count of Monte Cristo?? Hmm, well I've found that I love Studio Gonzo, so it should be worth it. It was definitely worth asking around here rather than browsing random recommends. Thanks again!
Old 2010-08-20, 23:16   Link #11
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Gankutsuo... The Count of Monte Cristo??
Yes, but don't get caught up in that unless you are a hardcore fan of the book, if not just watch it and let the visual essence and tapestry of illumination enchant you...That combined with the epic story within the story, will suffice...
Old 2010-08-21, 04:11   Link #12
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~sylf~ View Post
The only one that I've seen from what everyone listed is Karas no Kyoukai (didn't finish; found one episode a bit too perverted and off-putting).
*sigh*, Isn't there anything we could say to change your mind? The first film isn't the best but it does get a lot better. (Or is it the horror aspect that you find perverted?)
Old 2010-08-21, 07:33   Link #13
~sylf~

Hmm... maybe I'm a bit confused. I saw people recommending Kara no Kyoukai a while ago, so I d/led what I recall to be a few episodes to see. I don't remember it being an actual movie? Is it the same thing as what you're thinking of? I didn't get too far, in the one I watched I remember there was a memorable early scene where the girl's hand got possessed and tried to kill her so she cut it off. O.o. Then it seems it was a fake hand anyway. Was very well animated, I have to say. Uh, the perverted section seemed to involve a bunch of rapist gangsters and a murderous, violent girl they kept. I'm not too used to nudity/rape scenes like that, have to admit I'm used to a safer level of censoring if these things do occur. >>

*EDIT: Did some reading on Wikipedia. I think we are talking about the same thing. Yeah... I tried to watch it, but alas it fell foul of my tastes.
Old 2010-08-21, 09:04   Link #14
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Hmm... maybe I'm a bit confused. I saw people recommending Kara no Kyoukai a while ago, so I d/led what I recall to be a few episodes to see. I don't remember it being an actual movie? Is it the same thing as what you're thinking of? I didn't get too far, in the one I watched I remember there was a memorable early scene where the girl's hand got possessed and tried to kill her so she cut it off. O.o. Then it seems it was a fake hand anyway. Was very well animated, I have to say. Uh, the perverted section seemed to involve a bunch of rapist gangsters and a murderous, violent girl they kept. I'm not too used to nudity/rape scenes like that, have to admit I'm used to a safer level of censoring if these things do occur. >>

*EDIT: Did some reading on Wikipedia. I think we are talking about the same thing. Yeah... I tried to watch it, but alas it fell foul of my tastes.
Yeah it's the same one.

By the way, I know eve no jikan isn't entirely what you asked for, but here's the synopsis: http://myanimelist.net/anime/3167/Eve_no_Jikan

I'd say give it a shot, it's short (6 episodes, 15-20 minutes for the first 5 episodes, and 30 min. for the last episode). For a short series, it does an amazing job with its story, and I really fell in love with the characters and their development. A lot of small things and the details in the anime make it even better, so it's definitely worth a check out. This anime definitely sticks out (not just because I watched it all yesterday, but because it actually is a good story)
Old 2010-08-21, 12:58   Link #15
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

The third movie isn't meant to be perverted, it's meant to give Fujino an understandable trauma and show how the first pain she ever felt drove her to murder others.

Just wait until the fifth movie, which will blow you away.
Old 2010-08-21, 14:16   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I wrote a long post for this thread then lost it when I knocked the plug out of the back of my computer! I'll try to replay the highlights:

Big second for Moribito and would add the following to the list of works like it with strength in both animation and story-telling:

Bakeneko/Mononoke
Claymore
Dennou Coil
Ghost Hound
Noein
Oh! Edo Rocket

Movies
Mononoke Hime ("Princess Mononoke")
Summer Wars
Old 2010-08-21, 15:07   Link #17
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:

That's Kara no Kyoukai. But the yeah it seems you don't like the horror aspects. But that rape scene wasn't meant to be perverted. It was also meant to be horrific. And plus it's the only time when something like that happenes. There's not really anything that bad in the next films though (Well maybe the 7th film...). I would still recommend you atleat watch the up to the 5th film because that's in a league of it own. Well if you watched the entire 3rd film and still didn't like it then I guess it might not be for you, anyway.

Okay then, i recommend Sword of the Stranger, 5 Centimeters Per Second, and Summer Wars.
Old 2010-08-21, 15:38   Link #18
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I think you'd like Crest of the Stars

You might also try Katanagatari

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-08-22, 05:56   Link #19
~sylf~

I've been eyeing the trailer for Eve no Jikan.. such amazing animation effort for scenes in a cafe. O.o Thanks for the recommends again, I saw Mononoke Hime back when it was released (it was Studio Ghibli, wouldn't refuse that) but not the others. And looks like I absolutely must see what Seirei no Moribito's about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That's Kara no Kyoukai. But the yeah it seems you don't like the horror aspects. But that rape scene wasn't meant to be perverted. It was also meant to be horrific. And plus it's the only time when something like that happenes. There's not really anything that bad in the next films though (Well maybe the 7th film...). I would still recommend you atleat watch the up to the 5th film because that's in a league of it own. Well if you watched the entire 3rd film and still didn't like it then I guess it might not be for you, anyway.
I love well-animated fights, and I did like the first fight scenes I saw in Kara no Kyoukai, it was so mysterious and creepy. It's just twisted brutal violence that gets too much for me to stomach, I guess, so you're right... I dropped the Hellsing OVA for the exact same reason. >< Thanks for the alternatives, I've got huge piles to watch now. =)
Old 2010-08-22, 08:08   Link #20
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
look up anime series by Key animation- they are known for beautiful graphics, and have quite a few amazing series under their belt.

Miazaki films are also known for attention to detail in every frame and "stories for all ages".
Many Miazaki films are hand drawn though, so don't expect Avatar looking CGI animation, but the drawings are still very good.

I didn't finish watching Ghost in the Shell, but especially considering it was made in the early 90's, I would say the animation quality is superb, and a story that will get you hooked to boot.

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
Closed Thread