Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-10, 02:20   Link #181
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
To be honest, I'm not entirely certain at this point that Oda is going to make mini-arcs for the entire crew. Why? The answer is, simply put, length. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the crew have their own little storylines, but many people are simply going to whine about the storyline being dragged on, especially since we're so close to Merman Island and the New World.....
I bet after this story we would be introduced to a new arc and realize that they're part of a story saga which would have to be named "The Strawhat Seperation Saga" in the fact that we've yet to see the situation of the other members.

Quote:
However, I would still rather see Sweetpea join Luffy rather than say, Margaret, Aphelandra or Hancock.... I just find her to be a more interesting character. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if Marigold or Sandersonia were to join Luffy. They share the same troubled past as their big sister, both can use Haki, and they both have unique appearances! Plus, their DF powers aren't as hax as their sister's, which would create a better sense of balance for the crew. But I have my doubts about either of them actually joining Luffy, either....
I'd say Marguerite is still a pretty good canidate. Of course, here's a thought: perhaps Sweetpea and Aphelandra would come with Marguerite in joining Luffy as the trio (Marguerite, Sweetpea, and Aphelandra) are seen together for most of the time, especially when Boa Hancock turned them into stone. If this happens, the total of members would be: Marguerite (no. 10) Sweetpea (no. 11) and Aphelandra (no. 12)
Old 2008-11-10, 02:28   Link #182
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx116 View Post
I really don't think anymore people will be joining the crew. Almost since the beginning Luffy has always wanted a musician as a crewmate which he recently acquired. Not sure if there are anymore crewmates that he's looking forward to.
Having a position on the crew or Luffy actually looking for someone is not one of the prerequisites for a strawhat crew member (though the opening for such a position DOES increase the chances for anyone who might fill it)... Robin for instance is an archaeologist which really has no place on the crew... Vivi also would have had no position but Luffy would have taken her if she wanted to go... Zorro aswell doesn't really have a position other than being a fighter; though some might argue that he is the firstmate, but neither oda nor Luffy has ever addressed him as such; really anytime Luffy is making a bad call or can't lead himself "someone" steps up, usually Zorro (in more serious situations) or Nami (in times when brains are needed), or the crew just decides as a group how to move.

So ya, absence of a crew position doesn't really mean much at all as far as Luffy's concerned... His requirement is to just be one of his beloved nakama (though the story tends to require a dramatic past and a great dream that can only be obtained by traveling the seas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
I'd say Marguerite is still a pretty good canidate. Of course, here's a thought: perhaps Sweetpea and Aphelandra would come with Marguerite in joining Luffy as the trio (Marguerite, Sweetpea, and Aphelandra) are seen together for most of the time, especially when Boa Hancock turned them into stone. If this happens, the total of members would be: Marguerite (no. 10) Sweetpea (no. 11) and Aphelandra (no. 12)
Not at all likely... Oda's at his limit when it comes to characters as it is... i vaguely once recall him saying in an interview that writing a story with such a large main cast, giving each strawhats almost as much importance and attention as Luffy can be very difficult... hell i think when Oda said One piece was gonna only by 5 years long, he might have been underestimating how long it takes to cover each character in each arc (amongst other things ofcourse).... If Oda is gonna still add strawhats he is unlikely to add more than one

Oda regards all the strawhats of being equally important to one another and as such they must all get a great amount of attention... the larger the crew the harder and longer it takes to give them that attention
Old 2008-11-10, 02:56   Link #183
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post

Not at all likely... Oda's at his limit when it comes to characters as it is... i vaguely once recall him saying in an interview that writing a story with such a large main cast, giving each strawhats almost as much importance and attention as Luffy can be very difficult... hell i think when Oda said One piece was gonna only by 5 years long, he might have been underestimating how long it takes to cover each character in each arc (amongst other things ofcourse).... If Oda is gonna still add strawhats he is unlikely to add more than one

Oda regards all the strawhats of being equally important to one another and as such they must all get a great amount of attention... the larger the crew the harder and longer it takes to give them that attention
Oda can't afford to add to many more members. Luffy is at what 9 members? In the beginnign he only said 10 so only 1 more which is projected to be from Mermen Island. You don't really need someone of a pre-requisite just that someone that Luffy can have fun with and etc.

Vivi for example would have been able to join but would not be able to contribute to the team whatsoever.
Old 2008-11-10, 07:37   Link #184
Wai
Need a hand?

Robin may not have any role with the management of the ship, but she's extremely knowledgeable in many areas such as the structure of the WG, names of people and their history etc. She's a decent fighter too.

I think only one more person will join.
Old 2008-11-10, 07:50   Link #185
RonaldC

How is it possible that he has absolutely no reaction to Hancock? It'd be acceptale if Luffy blushed a little, but resisted her charms because his will power is strong. But to pay no attention to her nakedness at all?

Even Zoro would blush, because in Japanese culture, and especially in shōnen, it's an all encompassing gag that mens' noses bleed whenever they're exposed to H stuff.

Now it's not because Luffy is immature, because his nose bled when he saw Nami naked - more along the lines of "exploded", really.

So are you guys sure there's no plot significance here? I personally would guess that there is.

We know that it's not because Hancock is Luffy's mom, because she didn't react to "Monkey D".

Oh, I've been hearing a rumour that Oda said in an SBS that he'd write the final chaptor of OP by about chapter 1000. Can anyone confirm this, or is it bogus?
Old 2008-11-10, 08:07   Link #186
RonaldC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
and now, for something a bit off topic, but awsome
Sword vs gun!
Suddenly this fight from Black Lagoon makes sense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0RFEjGiD0w. Skip to 1:35.
Old 2008-11-10, 11:16   Link #187
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldC View Post
How is it possible that he has absolutely no reaction to Hancock? It'd be acceptale if Luffy blushed a little, but resisted her charms because his will power is strong. But to pay no attention to her nakedness at all?

Even Zoro would blush, because in Japanese culture, and especially in shōnen, it's an all encompassing gag that mens' noses bleed whenever they're exposed to H stuff.

Now it's not because Luffy is immature, because his nose bled when he saw Nami naked - more along the lines of "exploded", really.

So are you guys sure there's no plot significance here? I personally would guess that there is.

I think it's more or less because Luffy's concern for his crew's well-being blocks out any potentially dirty thoughts he may have about Hancock. I mean, he's seen her naked twice, yet he still didn't become a statue. Or maybe Luffy just has a more.... unique taste in women.

Though I guess that still wouldn't really explain how he got affected by Nami's Happiness Punch (aside from just being a gag moment, that is). Maybe Oda just decided at the last minute to give Luffy the same immunity to women's charms that Goku had in Dragonball.

Quote:
Oh, I've been hearing a rumour that Oda said in an SBS that he'd write the final chaptor of OP by about chapter 1000. Can anyone confirm this, or is it bogus?

Just a rumor, I'm afraid. However, I DO recall there being an interview for the series' 10th anniversary last year where it was stated that the series reached its halfway point. So chances are, the series probably will end up being 1000 chapters long, anyway.

And a bit further off-topic, but speaking of 10th anniversary interviews, I specifically remember one where Oda pointed out that he had yet to introduce a pirate character who wore an eyepatch, as so many of them do in popular media. He says that there will be one particular character who will appear much later in the series who wears an eyepatch, and that he was really excited about introducing him into the story. I think this info came from either One Piece Yellow or that 10th Treasures anniversary book. I've gotta look for it.....
Old 2008-11-10, 12:38   Link #188
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
I think it's more or less because Luffy's concern for his crew's well-being blocks out any potentially dirty thoughts he may have about Hancock. I mean, he's seen her naked twice, yet he still didn't become a statue. Or maybe Luffy just has a more.... unique taste in women.

Though I guess that still wouldn't really explain how he got affected by Nami's Happiness Punch (aside from just being a gag moment, that is). Maybe Oda just decided at the last minute to give Luffy the same immunity to women's charms that Goku had in Dragonball.
This is just my theory but, Luffy's probably unaffected because he hasn't shown any interest in anything other than becoming pirate king. That extreme desire has pushed out any other desire that he might have (except for meat). I'm pretty sure Zoro would be equally unaffected, unless of course Boa took up a sword (guess he's into cosplay).

Quote:
And a bit further off-topic, but speaking of 10th anniversary interviews, I specifically remember one where Oda pointed out that he had yet to introduce a pirate character who wore an eyepatch, as so many of them do in popular media. He says that there will be one particular character who will appear much later in the series who wears an eyepatch, and that he was really excited about introducing him into the story. I think this info came from either One Piece Yellow or that 10th Treasures anniversary book. I've gotta look for it.....
Man if Oda is excited about him, he must be pretty cool. I'm fairly certain this "eyepatch" guy is going to be a real life pirate, because he missed a few big names, like Calico Jack and Redbeard.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2008-11-10, 14:18   Link #189
Freya

I think it's just safe to say Luffy is just immune to Hancock. Her weakness lol. That's why the petrification thingy didn't work.
Old 2008-11-10, 15:38   Link #190
ZeroForever

i'm pretty sure it's just because he has the king class haki like her, as his haki is on the same level as hers i'm pretty sure thats why he is unaffected/repels her aura.

the DF i think works on emotions as her seduction aura/haki didn't work she wasn't able to get luffy to a state where her DF would work.

all just spectulation though, i'm sure there will be a event where she will explain in detail what her ability is though.
Old 2008-11-10, 15:57   Link #191
Rinji
Mew...
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Rinji
The reason he doesn't turn to stone is because he doesn't have dirty thoughts when he looks at her. As we've seen from the alabaster Arc episodes... his dirty thoughts seem to lie with Nami.
Old 2008-11-10, 16:53   Link #192
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Why don't you guys see it this way:

Luffy's an extremely single minded person. He can only concentrate on a single subject or goal at a time, while all the while having the Pirate King as his ultimate goal in mind.

When they peeked at girls in Alabaster, its probably suggested by one of the guys to do so. For that moment, Luffy's mind recieves a new subject/goal for the moment, which is to peek at the girls. So they peeked and Nami shows more, Luffy recieves the sexy input and his brain responds by giving him a bloody nose.

In Amazon Lily when Luffy first met Boa, his mind was set on escaping, that's his only objective for that time. So when he sees a naked Boa he wasn't interested at all, thus no bloody nose.

Second time after the fight and Boa calls Luffy in. Luffy's hungry and expected food and only food in his mind, this time his objective is to eat. So when he sees that its a topless Boa, he was totally disappointed and thus have zero positive reactions to her sexy bod.

This also works in all situations, as in his single minded personalilty. The way he decides things, does things, interact with people and when he fights.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-11-10, 16:58   Link #193
Freya

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Why don't you guys see it this way:

Luffy's an extremely single minded person. He can only concentrate on a single subject or goal at a time, while all the while having the Pirate King as his ultimate goal in mind.

When they peeked at girls in Alabaster, its probably suggested by one of the guys to do so. For that moment, Luffy's mind recieves a new subject/goal for the moment, which is to peek at the girls. So they peeked and Nami shows more, Luffy recieves the sexy input and his brain responds by giving him a bloody nose.

In Amazon Lily when Luffy first met Boa, his mind was set on escaping, that's his only objective for that time. So when he sees a naked Boa he wasn't interested at all, thus no bloody nose.

Second time after the fight and Boa calls Luffy in. Luffy's hungry and expected food and only food in his mind, this time his objective is to eat. So when he sees that its a topless Boa, he was totally disappointed and thus have zero positive reactions to her sexy bod.

This also works in all situations, as in his single minded personalilty. The way he decides things, does things, interact with people and when he fights.
Yep. So basically it was like "Food!!!! Dam."

So Boa>Nami still. In terms of looks. Obviously theres age and etc.
Old 2008-11-10, 17:02   Link #194
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Yep. So basically it was like "Food!!!! Dam."

So Boa>Nami still. In terms of looks. Obviously theres age and etc.
Basically I think Oda hit the mark with Boa being the most beautiful female human in One Piece.

I'd like to see how he's going to create mermaids who are supposed to be even more beautiful.

Camie is already quite a cuite, but if mermaids are supposed to be even more beautiful than Boa, I suppose Camie must be quite a normal or even ugly by mermaid standards lol
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-11-10, 17:28   Link #195
Freya

Quote:
Basically I think Oda hit the mark with Boa being the most beautiful female human in One Piece.

I'd like to see how he's going to create mermaids who are supposed to be even more beautiful.

Camie is already quite a cuite, but if mermaids are supposed to be even more beautiful than Boa, I suppose Camie must be quite a normal or even ugly by mermaid standards lol
That must be pretty funny.

Camie: Sanji!!! I'm so ugly!!!!
Sanji: ......!?
Old 2008-11-10, 17:29   Link #196
marvelB

Quote:

Well, in Sabaody, Pappag (Camie's starfish) mentioned how beautiful the "mermaid princess" from Merman Island was, so I'd assume that she would be the prettiest mermaid of all....

And... speaking of mermaids, I always found it hilarious how Luffy was able to see through that "mermaid" slave that was on sale when he was searching for Camie in the slave shops, especially when you consider how easily Foxy tricked him with that lousy nurse disguise during the Davy Back Fight. I guess Luffy's really wised up since then!
Old 2008-11-10, 17:43   Link #197
Rinji
Mew...
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Rinji
Ugh, let's not bring up Foxy, that villain got old a while ago and I'm still hoping they don't bring him back.

But anyway, Hopefully the next issue will show where some of the other Strawhat Pirates are. As well as how Luffy saves them from that place with his newly acquired ship.
Old 2008-11-10, 18:10   Link #198
marvelB

Incidentally, Foxy's one of my favorite villains. In fact, I tend to favor the goofier villains over the more "serious" ones in this series. I especially love his DF power (notice he was the first character to actually use a beam sword in this series, NOT Kizaru).

I'm still disappointed at the fact that he still hasn't gotten a ministory so far. I was actually hoping that his would come up after the Eneru ministory, but we got CP9 instead. Maybe after this one is over with.....
Old 2008-11-10, 18:30   Link #199
Freya

Quote:
Incidentally, Foxy's one of my favorite villains. In fact, I tend to favor the goofier villains over the more "serious" ones in this series. I especially love his DF power (notice he was the first character to actually use a beam sword in this series, NOT Kizaru).

I'm still disappointed at the fact that he still hasn't gotten a ministory so far. I was actually hoping that his would come up after the Eneru ministory, but we got CP9 instead. Maybe after this one is over with.....
Who's Foxy again?
Old 2008-11-10, 18:39   Link #200
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Who's Foxy again?

This guy:

He swore revenge on Luffy after losing the Davy Back Fight, so I expect him to return at some point. I was actually hoping that his crew would team up with Buggy and Alvida's crews....

Last edited by marvelB; 2008-11-10 at 19:06.
Closed Thread