AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-07-07, 12:53   Link #61
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvI View Post
i'm really looking forward for volume 2 ;D
Bit by bit. I transcribed pages 72 and 73 this morning, and will hopefully be able to translate them over the weekend. I seem to be averaging about five pages per week.

There are 'only' about 200 pages left to go in volume 2 . . .
rpapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 19:33   Link #62
anfera103

I'm finding Kaga and Barni somewhat tragic, every time they decide to take a step forward, to advance and overcome their problems, it goes wrong. judging by the illustration of the novel, Kaga is crying at the end of the next 2 ones, so more failures I suppose, maybe someone now why? I am very curious
anfera103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 13:00   Link #63
csuree
The Most Hated™

the honest thing is; because the illustrations are like 40-50 pages apart you can't deduce much from the story only hints.

the story is evolving greatly, but the fact that Banri is trying to get answers for his past a bit annoys me....

E.g: if i had amnesia and someone from my past popped up but did not say anything to me about it, i could deduce 2 things:
1: i was really hated by everyone that they conveniently decided to let it pass and not to mention anything
2: something very tragic happened that caused everyone to remain silent.

Since in the LN the 2nd is hinted. i think that while they were a couple Linda and Banri went to the bridge, they might have had a fight or wanted to break up, and things escalated, and maybe Linda had pushed him off ,accidentally or not, the bridge. He lost his memories and Linda feeling guilty, thought that it might be convenient to not get involved with him,

But this raises the question why is she hinting him to remember, or why she involves herself in his life. Things are complicated.. but romance is also.

In the mean time i thank you rpapo, on behalf of all readers for your effort to translate it for us. i'm happy that every week the love story advances a little, it is like an anime in progress. in the following week i will re-read the first volume. to make sure i didn't miss something.

Until then Kaga x Banri.
Linda is like an anti-hero to me,(if u love Banri , then why the secrets?, why not reconcile with him, and tell him his past life.) This alone was enough for me to dislike her and she has to work hard to get my trust, and change my opinion about her.

and Mitsou...no comment....if a girl loved me, i would not dare to be an a$$ like him to dump her even if she was persistent, annoying(but that was not the case, mitsuo was annoyed because he thought only of himself and how people view him)

If i had a girl like Kaga i would cherish her, love her and show her that she is the one i need the most.
Old 2012-07-08, 13:07   Link #64
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuree View Post
the honest thing is; because the illustrations are like 40-50 pages apart you can't deduce much from the story only hints.
Could be worse. The first volume had only character pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuree View Post
In the mean time i thank you rpapo, on behalf of all readers for your effort to translate it for us. i'm happy that every week the love story advances a little, it is like an anime in progress. in the following week i will re-read the first volume. to make sure i didn't miss something.
And it appears we have finally found somebody who read the story in the original Japanese. He has pointed out to me that I got the beginning of book 2 wrong. We shall see what changes are required to the translation...
Old 2012-07-08, 14:02   Link #65
csuree
The Most Hated™

wow that is good news i think...i wonder if i put in an effort lo learn japanese like 2-3 hours a week + watching anime all the time can an amateur learn to read decently?

i want to learn japanese, but i find it a bit hard to learn the writing, speaking seems much easier, but i read that in japan the learn to read / write for like until the end of high school.
and this saps me of my confidence ( i wanna learn it like fast).

with english i also started with cartoons when I was little then moved to documentaries, and movies after that. i'm still not perfect in English, but i have the Cambridge certificate in advanced English so far so i'm not that bad

with Japanese i wouldn't call my self a full hard amateur cuz around 1 year ago i started off with anime real hard.. like 5-6 shows / anime season.
an i counted it now for the summer season i have 11 shows that i follow so i might make some improvement. as for reading i have a long way to go....

i am also thinking of reading LN's in japanese that is why i want to learn it as fast (and as good as i can)
Old 2012-07-08, 14:13   Link #66
rpapo

@csuree: The younger you are, the easier you can pick it up. I learned Spanish in high school, but became fluent at it after college, living in South America (early 1980s). Much later (mid-1990s), I read up a bit on Japanese, but then set it aside. Even later (mid-2000s), I found myself cramming in Portuguese, Polish and Italian because of my job. Somehow, this reawakened my interest in Japanese (early 2008). I studied it quite a bit before hitting a wall, and I joined in helping at Baka-Tsuki (late 2009) as a way to get past that wall. My Japanese has improved considerably since then, though nobody could ever call me fluent. I can listen and read and understand a good portion without having to resort to a dictionary. Writing? Forget it. Speaking? A little. That, however, is mostly due to the lack of somebody to practice against.
Old 2012-07-08, 15:44   Link #67
csuree
The Most Hated™

ohh. now that is reassuring.....

not that I'm too optimistic, but okay maybe the writing/ reading part will be the most challenging one, but I'm confident that I'm going to learn it.

I do not want to brag but,
I kind of have a so-called special ability: when I put myself to learning something, or it awakens my interest my mind can absorb a large amount of information. in high-school and in college i almost never studied, in many cases the info i retained from classes was sufficient (and i held my scholarship for 3 years and i was working in the meantime that was like 2-3 years ago, but even though this ability is still with me....

I'm not exaggerating but in th past 1 year i read like more than 50+K pages of literature Japanese(translated), Hungarian, and English too, and i can recall them at a very accurate detail...but for minor details i have to skim through them again.

so regarding Japanese learning, right now the only issue seems to be the lack of free time.
but I'll try my best and learn it and hopefully in the process I'll get me some Japanese acquaintances and learn from them also.

So i make my promise now....by my 25th birthday, meaning the end of this year i will learn to speak Japanese at an intermediate level and try to learn reading it at a grade schooler (hopefully middle schooler) level.

Recently i haven't challenged myself like that and my mind is already getting lazy.
Old 2012-07-13, 10:41   Link #68
rpapo

News

Poking around the web, I found the first information about Golden Time volume 5. The blurb is very brief, but it translates roughly like this: "It's summer vacation. Banri and Kouko are fully enjoying dating, taking it easy at home. In and of itself, it was happiness. But something's missing . . . the sea! Shall we go!?"

Volume five will apparently come out September 10th, and there is no indication whatsoever that the series will end here. The title of the volume is "ONRYOU の夏", which in the context of this series could mean something like "The Ghost of Summer".
Old 2012-07-13, 10:52   Link #69
blade82

so Banri and Kouko are a couple?
blade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 10:56   Link #70
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade82 View Post
so Banri and Kouko are a couple?
Sure seems like it, especially if you take the last chapter starting illustration from volume 4 into account . . .
Old 2012-07-13, 11:05   Link #71
blade82

but what about Linda?
Old 2012-07-13, 11:24   Link #72
rpapo

Quote:
but what about Linda?
I have no idea. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has written an English-language review of anything in this series apart from some early previews back when the first book came out. Since then, the bulk of the public knowledge in English of the series has come from those who have read my ongoing translation . . . which is only three-quarters of the way through the first chapter of the second book so far. Not being a fluent Japanese reader, I have not gone ahead and previewed the books, apart from the illustrations, which anybody else can look at too.

Sort of: I translated the author's postscripts from volumes 3 and 4, but she didn't reveal much of anything there, and all I was trying to do was to get an idea as to whether or not she thought the series was done and over with.

The native Japanese readers haven't deigned to write anything in English about the books.

All we have to go on are the publishers's blurbs:

Volume 1: The story begins. We meet Banri, Mitsuo, Kouko, Linda, Oka and NANA.
Volume 2: Who will it be, Kouko or Linda?
Volume 3: Banri organizes a masquerade party to lift Mitsuo's spirits.
Volume 4: Banri's memories come back briefly.
Volume 5: Banri & Kouko go to the sea during summer vacation.
Old 2012-08-02, 22:54   Link #73
Anonymous_Slider

Location: Together with my family, my samsung champ, and my Lenovo T61
Just found this LN a few days and it just suit my tastes. There are no violence so far(if you put the rose assault aside), and it is in a college setting(at least there are LNs that are in the college-level, fed up already with the mid-high/high school setting{eventhough the plot and story are their redeeming factors}, if there are any such as these I'll gladly accept recommendations)

@Rpapo I thank you for hardworkingly and diligently translating this LN while managing RL stuff at the same time. If I'm beside you I'll really tap your back(which I rarely do due to the fact that I'm an awfully introverted person).

Last edited by Anonymous_Slider; 2012-08-03 at 04:24. Reason: edited to make my statement clearer
Anonymous_Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 05:30   Link #74
rpapo

Yes, RL does tend to get in the way, doesn't it? To each his own. This morning, driving to work, I found myself being passed by a guy on a chopper (a kind of motorcycle), wearing a leather jacket and very much looking the motorcycle gang person . . . except that he was older than me (probably late 50s), with gray hair (tied in a pony-tail) and a beard. But then I thought, he's not the only one around here that's a little strange: there I was, a computer programmer in his 50s, driving a 24 year old Honda CRX down the freeway, and I translate Japanese LNs as a hobby project!

Last edited by rpapo; 2012-08-03 at 05:47. Reason: More detail.
Old 2012-08-03, 11:22   Link #75
Anonymous_Slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpapo View Post
Yes, RL does tend to get in the way, doesn't it? To each his own. This morning, driving to work, I found myself being passed by a guy on a chopper (a kind of motorcycle), wearing a leather jacket and very much looking the motorcycle gang person . . . except that he was older than me (probably late 50s), with gray hair (tied in a pony-tail) and a beard. But then I thought, he's not the only one around here that's a little strange: there I was, a computer programmer in his 50s, driving a 24 year old Honda CRX down the freeway, and I translate Japanese LNs as a hobby project!
I understand you. RL stuff really are quite bothersome(especially you a family man), but if you don't deal with it you will suffer(worst, family included). Don't worry, many things in this world is strange(myself included, why? Because my family are a family of musicians while me having not inherited any musical talents, just having an affinity with things{and a covert otaku}, with an interest in computer programming but taking up accountancy as a course.)

May I ask? What site is good in learning japanese because I'm planning to get it as my third language(being Filipino and English my Primary and Secondary language respectively), do you know some, because I'm gonna self-study it.

Regarding your car, nice keeping...
Old 2012-08-03, 11:38   Link #76
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous_Slider View Post
May I ask? What site is good in learning japanese because I'm planning to get it as my third language(being Filipino and English my Primary and Secondary language respectively), do you know some, because I'm gonna self-study it.
No web site in particular has helped me that much. I listened to all 90 of the Pimsleur Japanese lessons, and downloaded virtually everything from JapanesePod101.com, but most of the original learning was from books. Things like "The Idiot's Guide to Japanese" and "Japanese for Dummies".

But all that was 2008-2009. I've been working with Baka-Tsuki since then, and that has helped things along enormously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous_Slider View Post
Regarding your car, nice keeping...
Purchased from a friend six years ago at 67000 miles, for $800, and now at 205000 miles. Engine rebuilt, body refinished, runs nice and gets about 37mpg.

It's the one on the left.
Old 2012-08-07, 07:46   Link #77
rpapo

Well, I've seen the raws for chapters 10 and 11, and together with the other chapters I've seen and that have not yet been fully scanlated, here is a chapter summary of what is to come:
Spoiler:

That takes the the story through the end of the light novel's first volume.

Last edited by rpapo; 2012-08-07 at 09:59. Reason: Spelling.
Old 2012-08-07, 09:49   Link #78
blade82

its quite the same as the LN to me but
Spoiler for who is:
Old 2012-08-07, 09:59   Link #79
rpapo

Quote:
its quite the same as the LN to me but
Spoiler for who is:
Though it hasn't been made plain yet in the LN, it appears that NANA-sempai is an old friend of Linda's. Because of that, I presume she is quite aware of Banri's situation, but for the same reason as Linda (or perhaps for differing reasons) does not reveal herself as somebody who knew the old Banri.

In any case, the name "NANA-sempai" is probably not her real name, but rather a reference to a this manga: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nana_(manga). The character is modeled on her, or the character models herself on her. Don't know which.
Old 2012-08-08, 10:28   Link #80
Anonymous_Slider

Wow! Thank you very much Rpapo for completing the translation of volume 2 chapter 1, thank you, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! Now I can finish Banri's and Chinami's conversation. I'll help myself then, I'll dig in now.

Tags
college, dengeki bunko, love triangle, romance, school life, shounen