AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

View Poll Results: Hayate no Gotoku!! (2nd Season) - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 5 15.63%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 3 9.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 40.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 21.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 6.25%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 3.13%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 3.13%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-26, 03:29   Link #21
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaLooNz View Post
Ahha... the doll that Shiranui is on is exactly the same one from Gokujou Seitokai, aka pu-chan. Even the music at the preview is also a remix from the show.
Pucchan getting humped. XD

Shiranui was awesome in this eps.
Old 2009-08-26, 04:54   Link #22
JaLooNz
Longtime Member

Did they cut out the last part after the preview?
Old 2009-08-26, 10:42   Link #23
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyman View Post
I'm going to have to disagree. While it's nice and all that J.C. Staff feels that it'd be better to go "safe" and just do a 1 : 1 conversion, I like how SynergySP took more liberty with their adaptation. I'm just watching episode 9 of the first season to refresh my memory, and there are quite a few lines, movements, etc, that aren't present in the manga as well as a few lines here and there that are omitted. It makes the anime feel much more smoother.
So, I'd say we're agreed that SynergySP has been taking more liberties with the source. However on the question whether or not the changes were good...

Quote:
As an easy example to spot; in the anime, they show Hina slapping Hayate after he rescues her from the mannequin (again, episode 9). In the manga, they don't show anything, it zooms out to nothing and just has a loud slap sound effect. Showing the slap made the scene better since it showed exactly how frustrated Hina really was (which you didn't get in the manga). Also, camera angles were altered, as well as how Hina jumps into Hayate's arms. Again, these changes made the scene much better.
The funny thing is that I remember the episode very well. Why? Because in my opinion, SynergySP was screwing up the centerpiece of it: In the manga, the scene was particularly powerful because Hina was screaming for _Hayate_ to help her. The mighty prodigal fearless seitokaichou was yelling for _him_ to help her. She even remembered the key scene which wowed her back then when Hayate promised that he'd come to rescue her when she called him. The parallelism to Nagi (who also yelled for Hayate to save her and also was saved) was very much key, and it was lost. In the SynergySP version, Hina just closed her eyes and was yelling for "someone!" to help.

Now, I'm not criticizing SynergySP for the animation, it was fine. Even though it significantly deviated from the original. I didn't like the changes they made, because they were altering the story, and in fact altering it for the worse. It removed most of the romantic developments and many interpersonal developments in exchange for comedy. It was a "dumbed down" Hayate targeted at kids. And I saw too many of those parts _I_ was looking forward to cut away to fully enjoy it.

Quote:
Yes, I also disliked how the first season went on and on and didn't accomplish anything, but it also was the consequence of different target audiences and different airing times. I'm sure if the first season wasn't made to pander to little kids (if that's what the aim was, I'm not even sure), and was instead scheduled to air at a time similar to season 2's release, we would've had an anime that followed the manga more closely in terms of plot/direction. Or at least, I'd hope so.

(man I edit too much)
Agreed. It was aimed at a different audience, and objectively, I wouldn't even argue that SynergySP did a bad job - I believe they followed the official orders. It's just that I didn't like the direction it was taking.
Old 2009-08-26, 12:56   Link #24
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
The funny thing is that I remember the episode very well. Why? Because in my opinion, SynergySP was screwing up the centerpiece of it: In the manga, the scene was particularly powerful because Hina was screaming for _Hayate_ to help her. The mighty prodigal fearless seitokaichou was yelling for _him_ to help her. She even remembered the key scene which wowed her back then when Hayate promised that he'd come to rescue her when she called him. The parallelism to Nagi (who also yelled for Hayate to save her and also was saved) was very much key, and it was lost. In the SynergySP version, Hina just closed her eyes and was yelling for "someone!" to help.
While that was a bit weird since it is one of the few times someone actually screams "HAYATE!" other than Nagi at the top of their lungs, I honestly am willing to forgo something like that if it means a smoother anime. My major problem with the second season is that I feel like I'm just watching a manga, not an anime. I could rewatch an episode of the first season that I genuinely liked and still enjoy it, but when I watch an episode of the second season sometimes it's hard to even enjoy it the first time when I watch it after reading the manga. The only exception I can think of for the second season is the white day episode.

Really, the major reason why I'm still bothering with the second season is just so I can hear the voice actors since I love the cast so much. I don't think that kind of reason should ever be the driving force behind watching an anime after reading the manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Now, I'm not criticizing SynergySP for the animation, it was fine. Even though it significantly deviated from the original. I didn't like the changes they made, because they were altering the story, and in fact altering it for the worse. It removed most of the romantic developments and many interpersonal developments in exchange for comedy. It was a "dumbed down" Hayate targeted at kids. And I saw too many of those parts _I_ was looking forward to cut away to fully enjoy it.
Now I'm not going to necessarily disagree here, since I didn't like the direction it was taking half way through (when it became clear the season was just a joke season), but somehow it still managed to entertain me even when nothing was happening. The filler chapters they did cover in the first season turned out much better than the filler chapters in the manga, and I kept watching the series because of that.

In a way, I'm glad SynergySP got all of the filler chapters out of the way so J.C. Staff could just run away with the plot ones, since I don't think J.C. Staff really does any of the filler material justice. I enjoy the filler stuff as much as the plot stuff at times (as long as it's not just Nagi & Hayate running around the house), so I feel more than let down when J.C. Staff did them this season.
Old 2009-08-26, 17:02   Link #25
Dop
Mmmm....

I enjoyed the episode for its basic silliness - I guess this could be one of those chapters where the author decides to bring back a side character who doesn't really belong in the central plot any more and which has been out of it for a while.
Highlights: Jenny's lighter, Shiranui's cunning mobile phone theft, and sudden unexpected Winston Churchill in the trailer....!

In terms of the discussion of JC Staff vs SynergySP, I have to say that on rewatching the first season when the first DVD came out recently, I do prefer the second season.
Old 2009-08-29, 15:51   Link #26
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Just like I commented on the first season's episode that introduced Tama to the audience: "There's no freaking way that tigers exist in Africa".

So, what Nagi did to pet Tama?
Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-31, 18:52   Link #27
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Rofl Jenny was epic win with her accent XD
"Oh shit , there are no tigers in africa"
"Its a hilarious situation" ^^
Old 2009-09-06, 04:30   Link #28
xKeen

Liked this episode,segawa never fails to make me smile. D:
Old 2009-10-08, 09:23   Link #29
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Very funny while Tama was using the cellphone.
He even starts a thread on a place that looks like 2chan.

*gives this episode an 8
Closed Thread