AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

Old 2008-04-11, 01:31   Link #561
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozaku View Post
actually she's one of the major, not main though
difference between major and main? o_O
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 01:33   Link #562
Zoe

Quote:
actually she's one of the major, not main though
I'd still call her a minor character. A major but not main character would be someone like one of the Thompson sisters or the teachers. They appear much more than Blair ever does.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 01:35   Link #563
deffusse
otaku[SK]

was there any difference between previous and that late night show?? I don't think so, or I haven't watched the right one? suspicious
deffusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 01:46   Link #564
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer

Just an extended preview.
BearShare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 05:07   Link #565
terrus

Now i come to think of it the thompson sisters are probably the least developed main characters,
it did look like we were going to get some character development with them when it was mentioned that they used to be thugs in Boston but it seems like that idea has been dropped.
terrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 05:30   Link #566
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Finally got around to the awesome fansub version by Lone Wolf Fansubs and wow... I'm absolutely blown away.

As single episodes go, that episode 1 might have had just as much frames of animation (20 BAZILLION FRAMES! OMG) as the final episode of Gurren Lagann.

For a shonen show, it doesn't feel cheap like most tends to be. I see some people who worked on Sailor Moon to Law of Ueki in the credits and that is plain weird.

The action was probably one of the BEST I've seen within the last year, easily. Also, the episode even had a genuinely touching moment right off the bat. Oh yeah, and I absolutely loved the Blair fanservice. It'd be cool and downright sexy for many girls who transform to remain in the buff (maybe guys will be too. lol).

And finally, the show just might have the best OP/ED tandem. Funny thing, TM Revolution is renowned for his awesome shonen/mecha OPs and Stance Punks did one of the most memorable Naruto OPs.

Stars are aligning for this show or what? To me, this is going to be one of the best shows of the year if the quality keeps up.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 05:31   Link #567
solomon

Twas Brooklyn, it was. (Does Boston have any rough spots?)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, sure it's shallow but cmon guys. IT"S SHONEN.

(Very nicely produced shonen at that).
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 05:36   Link #568
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Twas Brooklyn, it was. (Does Boston have any rough spots?)
Not to be racist, but this is a fact: The 'Black' part of Boston is rife with unsafe spots. Sorta like how Harlem is in Manhattan. I was scared for my life visiting both places. Very scary.

Quote:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, sure it's shallow but cmon guys. IT"S SHONEN.

(Very nicely produced shonen at that).
Hell no. It's by FAR the best looking shonen I ever watched. Rivals some of the very best moments in Naruto, Yu Yu, Bleach, DBZ and that is pretty elite company as far as the crucial scenes' animations go.

I agree though. It's a cute, silly, action packed type of a show. Attention to detail is really unnecessary. It's even unnecessary in mecha shows where people gripe about realism all day long, but even less so in a show about death gods..
Old 2008-04-11, 06:22   Link #569
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Finally got around to the awesome fansub version by Lone Wolf Fansubs and wow... I'm absolutely blown away.

As single episodes go, that episode 1 might have had just as much frames of animation (20 BAZILLION FRAMES! OMG) as the final episode of Gurren Lagann.

For a shonen show, it doesn't feel cheap like most tends to be. I see some people who worked on Sailor Moon to Law of Ueki in the credits and that is plain weird.

The action was probably one of the BEST I've seen within the last year, easily. Also, the episode even had a genuinely touching moment right off the bat. Oh yeah, and I absolutely loved the Blair fanservice. It'd be cool and downright sexy for many girls who transform to remain in the buff (maybe guys will be too. lol).

And finally, the show just might have the best OP/ED tandem. Funny thing, TM Revolution is renowned for his awesome shonen/mecha OPs and Stance Punks did one of the most memorable Naruto OPs.

Stars are aligning for this show or what? To me, this is going to be one of the best shows of the year if the quality keeps up.
You're really over-rating this.
It's "okay"ish.
About the sub I don't know, I wouldn't care as I time for a-e/saizen.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 06:25   Link #570
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Oh, well. just yesterday I praised this anime in the 2008 review thread and now I see I should have looked into the basic info first.

51 epsiodes, that scares me quite a bit. Soultaker was shounen at the core and pretty much lived from its exceptional style alone. But it was only one cours long. 13 eps Soul Eater would be great. 26 eps would be still a good watch. But at 51 eps the style factor wears thin. I'm not sure if I want to watch 51 episodes of must-defeat-next-miniboss, must-get-stronger no matter how great the ride on the visual side.
Old 2008-04-11, 06:31   Link #571
terrus

Quote:
Attention to detail is really unnecessary.
Well a lot of people have been prasing soul eater for it's visuals and style i just hope Bones can hold up the story as well.
Still with Soul Eater, Code Geass R2, Macross F and Kaiba this has made up for the lack of decent anime since september 2007.

Quote:
must-get-stronger
If you're referring to the obtaning of 99 soul's and one witch soul that get's dropped very quickley.
terrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 06:55   Link #572
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrus View Post
If you're referring to the obtaning of 99 soul's and one witch soul that get's dropped very quickley.
I'm refering mainly to SuperKnuckles' post where he compares the anime to Naruto, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Bleach, and Dragonballz, all archetypical shounen anime. So I thought it fits nicely in there. And to "sure it's shallow but cmon guys. IT"S SHONEN" in the post he quotes.
Old 2008-04-11, 07:04   Link #573
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
The manga gets a lot better than the Maka & Soul Eater one shot, a lot.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 07:24   Link #574
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

<------ Jawdrop

And I rarely ever jawdrop in a shounen action show.

I mean seriously, Maka's fighting style was strangely hypnotic. Yes, I think that word fits perfectly on how I feel about this series. I really do feel for those seeing this on a stream site; the show I feel won't be given true justice unless it's seen in HD.

Just goes to show that seeing every anime pays off, even in genres one generally doesn't like. Sometimes, just sometimes, you find a hidden gem like this one.

Of course, its only the first episode, and this show might follow the likes of Bleach and D Gray Man for me (ie. dropped it because it was stretched thin by 'fillers'), but for now that's the best first episode I've seen outside of Vampire Knight this season. (Macross F comes close, but the novelty has kinda wore off since I've seen 90% of the first episode 4 months ago hehehehe)

Let's just hope it stays up there... but it is I feel a much better kid's show than Zettai Karen Children.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 07:30   Link #575
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-pyro View Post
I don't think he wants to be cool to a particular someone. He just wants to be a cool guy xD
In my opinion, Soul really is cool. I especially love it when he's in a black tux. I really didn't expect a kid who looks . . err . . wild . . . to look so well in a suit xD
I am also very impressed to his loyalty to his partner
Hrm.... I dont think I could ever see him as "cool" if that is his intended goal.
You cant be it for wanting to.

Lots of shounen titles are interesting despite being targetted at kids. This one has great ep1 visual style and fight choreography. But with the protagonist stating "I want to be cool" "Cool guys guy's dont do X/Y/Z"... He strikes me as a much bigger dork than naruto ever was.

Im still going to follow it for now though.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 07:33   Link #576
yozaku
Always Idle

how was lonewolf subs? Are they better?
yozaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 07:46   Link #577
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe View Post
You're really over-rating this.
It's "okay"ish.
About the sub I don't know, I wouldn't care as I time for a-e/saizen.
I don't know about that. The action, the whole feel, that was something I rarely ever seen in around 20 years of watching anime for me, shonen or not. I definitely don't feel I'm overrating anything. And jeez, cut the guys who did the subs some credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Oh, well. just yesterday I praised this anime in the 2008 review thread and now I see I should have looked into the basic info first.

51 epsiodes, that scares me quite a bit. Soultaker was shounen at the core and pretty much lived from its exceptional style alone. But it was only one cours long. 13 eps Soul Eater would be great. 26 eps would be still a good watch. But at 51 eps the style factor wears thin. I'm not sure if I want to watch 51 episodes of must-defeat-next-miniboss, must-get-stronger no matter how great the ride on the visual side.
I really don't understand the comparison there. Because I never was captivated by Soul Taker personally. It's like a whole another show (other than the 'soul' part I guess?) in terms of calibur. I generally think the more episodes they pump into it, the more they're committing to it. For a shonen show, 50 episodes is just about perfect I think. Law of Ueki was just excellent as a shonen show and it was a clean cut 51 episodes too. I don't think it really does shonen and mech shows justice if it's only one or even two cours long. And from what I hear about the manga and the ridiculously high quality of the first episode, I have full faith in the staff. No less so because Bones is doing it and they tend to be pretty committed to the overall quality of the shows (even for Darker than Black which had its main writer go AWOL and still end up somewhat decent).

Quote:
how was lonewolf subs? Are they better?
YES. I never preferred AEN ever since they totally butchered Bamboo Blade subs and I'm a bit scared by the small filesize of such a visually intensive high definition show. I never heard of LoneWolf before, but I'm already sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Just goes to show that seeing every anime pays off, even in genres one generally doesn't like. Sometimes, just sometimes, you find a hidden gem like this one.
Totally the opposite for me. I never was averse to shonen or shoujo or magical girl or what have you but I was still impressed. I think that's a good sign as well, because though I'm very open to just about all anime genres, I'm jaded in my own way as well to calling anything a classic. As episode 1's are concerned, Soul Eater pretty damn is. Again, if this continues, I won't hesitate to call it a modern classic. Actually the whole situation reminds me of Gurren Lagann. I don't care if there's the typical shonen plot pitfalls and whatnot. It's just plain damn fun.

Quote:
Of course, its only the first episode, and this show might follow the likes of Bleach and D Gray Man for me (ie. dropped it because it was stretched thin by 'fillers'), but for now that's the best first episode I've seen outside of Vampire Knight this season. (Macross F comes close, but the novelty has kinda wore off since I've seen 90% of the first episode 4 months ago hehehehe)

Let's just hope it stays up there... but it is I feel a much better kid's show than Zettai Karen Children.
I think both are definitely going for different things. Soul Eater being the more the young adults' shonen show (like maybe Gurren Lagann). I just have different standards for both Zettai Karen and this already. With Zettai, I expect something cute and light, with this, I can expect something intense and in your face.

Quote:
I mean seriously, Maka's fighting style was strangely hypnotic. Yes, I think that word fits perfectly on how I feel about this series. I really do feel for those seeing this on a stream site; the show I feel won't be given true justice unless it's seen in HD.
Yeah, the moves Maka showed seems to have some sense as far as crazy shonen style martial arts is concerned. Lots of incredible parries, and using the sickle like it probably should be if you can twirl the thing like that. Also, Maka's seiyuu voice sounds decidedly un-seiyuu-esque. It's as if it's some normal civilian voicing her instead of some voice acting superstar. I think that gives her a quirky type of charm. She's already one of the girls to watch in this anime season IMO.
Old 2008-04-11, 07:50   Link #578
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

After watching Bamboo Blade, I would avoid AEN like the plague (no offense meant guys, but its the whole truth). It's speed subs in the truest sense of the word; if you're looking to get the gist of the story, it fulfills its role. That said, LWS is much better by a mile. Not exactly top quality material, but anything compared to AEN is a heaven sent.

Of course, AEN can clean up their act like BSS did, but I don't think it's gonna happen anytime in the future.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 07:58   Link #579
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Caught the first episode, and all I can say is "ehhh."
I'm not fond of the style at all, the weird halloween-type things and the trippy moon turn me off. Another shounen series about Shinigami is probably the last thing we need, but this one seems to be more "unique" than other longer action series.
The fight scene(s) was/were amazing, though. The way she handled the scythe was top-notch animation and choreography.

I'm not sure if I like the premise much, but then again, I thought Fullmetal Alchemist was decent, so I'll continue.

This is another series where I don't find a seiyuu match a character that well, too. The guy (Soul?) was an immature kid with one of those deep brooding voices that I found didn't fit (bad attempt at GAR points.)
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 08:03   Link #580
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Soultaker was shounen
Soultaker is shounen, but not the same level of shounen like Soul Eater, D.Gray-man, Dragonball Z and so on. You shouldn't really compare the two.

Tags
action, death the kid, shounen, soul eater