AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-11-19, 22:47   Link #1
DawnEmperor

Characters you like that everyone(or most people hate).

A lot of the characters that I've seen getting hate, are really ones that, at worst, characters I'm apathetic to. Sometimes I really feel sorry for these characters, and relate to their struggle. Anyway, here are a few of characters that I like that get a fairly large amount of hate.

Shinji Ikari(NGE): There, I said it. I guess it comes down to how much you can relate to the character. Is he whiny? Sure, but I'm not really someone who tells them to man up. It would be a different series if Shinji was simply that kind of character.

Touma Kamijou(ToAruMajutsu): While he does have his fans, Touma receives a fair amount of flak. For me, Touma is sort of inspiring. Obviously he's flawed and annoying at times, but he's also a determined guy who I feel good about supporting.

Fuu(Samurai Champloo): It actually took some time for me to get used to her character, but I've come to consider Fuu a better character. She's shown to hold her own despite having none of the fighting skills of her companions. Again, she grows more relatable as the series goes on

Ryoma Echizen: While he can be insufferable, he's still engaging to watch. He's not a complete jerk, and definitely not the only arrogant character in the series

Dang, I noticed a trend...

Last edited by DawnEmperor; 2011-11-19 at 23:38. Reason: more examples
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 23:00   Link #2
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I think Shinji Ikari is one of anime's best male characters, so you're not alone in liking his character.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 23:03   Link #3
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Yuasa Hiromi. I know many people who dislike True Tears just because of her .

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-11-19 at 23:33.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 23:16   Link #4
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm far from her only fan, but there's no question that Sayaka Miki has quite a few detractors on this site and amongst Madoka Magica viewers in general. However, I personally found her to a be a very likable character with a great and slightly unique character design. I also felt she effectively played something relatively close to a "normal girl" role in Madoka Magica, which I think helped to ground that anime a bit and hence make it all seem that much more raw and real.

Haruhi Suzumiya is a considerably polarizing figure, and I like her a lot, and consider her amongst my favorite anime characters of all-time. I think she's been tremendously influential in the anime world, and largely for the better, imo. Her anime and characterization shows one way that you can appeal to otakus while still having a sophisticated and/or serious sci-fi feel to an anime and its characters.
Old 2011-11-19, 23:19   Link #5
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
This is a really hard question because I can't think of a loved character that's widely hated... who is wildly hated

Nagisa from Clannad. She's by and far the one that gets the most hate. but I like her for being kind hearted and sweet, even if she's not the best one and a bit boring. But because she doesn't really stand out, she even got nominated for worst characters for AS one year.

I also agree with Demisoda somewhat for Hiromi. People have launched vicious tirades against True Tears because of her.

Spoiler for possible reason for hate in both cases in my choices; Massive spoilers for both series:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-11-19 at 23:27. Reason: to be more clear
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 23:22   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
This is a really hard question because I can't think of a loved character that's widely hated...

Nagisa from Clannad. She's by and far the least popular character save Fuko, but I like her for being kind hearted and sweet, even if she's not the best one and a bit boring.
I agree with you on Nagisa.

... No comment on Hiromi.

In all seriousness, I think Hiromi was a pretty good character, but she wasn't my favorite True Tears character shall we say.
Old 2011-11-19, 23:24   Link #7
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

In all seriousness, I think Hiromi was a pretty good character, but she wasn't my favorite True Tears character shall we say.
Haters gonna hate . Our war is ever ongoing (see sig).

Just remembered some more. Both Nanami and Yano from Bokura ga Ita. Many people hate this anime (anime-only viewers) but I think it's one of the best and most realistic shojos out there. Straight to the chase on how teenage relationships -actually- work out and none of this sparkles/innocence or romcom spam a lot of shojo animes tend to do. At least the manga is still doing very well and 2 live action films are due in the future.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-11-19 at 23:35.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 23:31   Link #8
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
I agree with you on Nagisa.

Oh yes, your favorite character was Aiko. Wait, no it's Raigomaru.

Yea, I remember a tear collector that wanted to fly. Well, she was definitely funnier.

In all seriousness, we need a list of wildly hated characters because I am lost. Maybe Satoko from Higurashi; she tends to get a lot of flack for being "annoying" despite the fact that well... none of it is her fault.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-11-19, 23:34   Link #9
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

In all seriousness, we need a list of wildly hated characters because I am lost. Maybe Satoko from Higurashi; she tends to get a lot of flack for being "annoying" despite the fact that well... none of it is her fault.
I know one very near and dear to your heart, Archon... Yoshida Kazumi.
Old 2011-11-19, 23:45   Link #10
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
I know one very near and dear to your heart, Archon... Yoshida Kazumi.
Yea, though sadly I hate her, so it doesn't help for this thread.

What do you think about Taichi from Chihayafuru?

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-11-19, 23:49   Link #11
Beryl Black
Potential Spammer
*Artist

Chazz Princeton ( Yugioh GX ): I don't know why a lot of people belittle him, sure he may use odd monsters, but isn't that something to admire then always having to see attempted ( Cool ) bad-mama-jama looking monster?
- Jazz it up.
Beryl Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 23:51   Link #12
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Momo Hinamori from Bleach I don't get why she is hated so much to be honest
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 23:54   Link #13
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Let's see besides the already mentioned Nagisa, Haruhi, and Sayaka; I would have to say without a doubt the most fitting of this for me would be Kuroko Shirai from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun/Toaru Majutsu no Index, she is a bit overly perverted at times, but I find her antics to be amusing and find her to be a very kind, reliable, and good person when the time calls for it.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 23:55   Link #14
Beryl Black
Potential Spammer
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichuki View Post
Momo Hinamori from Bleach I don't get why she is hated so much to be honest
I don't particularly hate her myself. The reason people would have a disinterest in her would probably be related to her actions in the series; Not believing, and attacking Hitsugaya. Misc.

Last edited by Beryl Black; 2011-11-20 at 00:06.
Beryl Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 23:56   Link #15
Desu
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mahiru Inami (Working!!) : I might be a bit off in regards to how many people dislike her but she does seem to get a lot of hate
Old 2011-11-20, 00:09   Link #16
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

From what I can remember:

Suou from DTB2: Gets a lot of hate for taking time away from Hei and all that other stuff, but honestly, I really like the idea behind her character. On top of that, her power was cool, her resourcefulness is cool, she never annoyed me, and I like that she never killed anyone by the end of the series.

Nagisa from Clannad: I don't really get why people hate her. By comparison to the other girls, yes, but on her own, she's pretty sweet and caring. She also can be funny, plus she's an older woman character, even if she doesn't act it. Why nobody gives props to Tomoya getting an older chick is beyond me.

Yozora from Boku wi Tomodachi: She's kind of like a Seinfeld character. A huge jerk, but funny and likable because of it. Her fake self in episode 00? Boring as hell. Plus, I like how she pays for her actions, unlike Haruhi.

Anybody from Code Geass: All of them have huge hatebases. I like them all because they played their roles well and they never bored or annoyed me.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 00:14   Link #17
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:

Nagisa from Clannad. She's by and far the one that gets the most hate. but I like her for being kind hearted and sweet, even if she's not the best one and a bit boring. But because she doesn't really stand out, she even got nominated for worst characters for AS one year.
+1 on this. I remember when I saw that nomination, I just facepalmed and left that thread in disbelief. Kind of sad that it seems like just being a nice girl and not tsun/yan/whatever-dere is enough to garner that level of hatred.

(3 years later I am still waiting on an After Story figure that isn't Tomoyo or the 5th version of gym closet Kyou. Still holding out hope that someone will eventually remember Nagisa was a character in AS. )
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 00:30   Link #18
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
+1 on this. I remember when I saw that nomination, I just facepalmed and left that thread in disbelief. Kind of sad that it seems like just being a nice girl and not tsun/yan/whatever-dere is enough to garner that level of hatred.
To be fair, the other girls aren't exactly any-dere either. Not even Kyou fully fits into the tsundere trait. And when compared to the other girls, let alone the other characters, Nagisa pales. But seriously, how can people not like her, particularly after she graduated high school?

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 00:32   Link #19
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Kamijou Touma from To Aru Majutsu no Index and Railgun.
  • Yes he’s meddling with other people’s business but those people do need his help after all
  • Yes he beats some girls but those girls are too mean/evil to be left alone and they are threats to other innocent people,
  • Yes he speaks like he is the most righteous one among many others but he’s not a hypocrite either
  • Yes he is liked by many girls but...err...how can you blame him for that?
Old 2011-11-20, 02:12   Link #20
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Kirino Kousaka from Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai- I know she's a widely disliked character because she acts extremely tsuntsun to her brother, but I find her to be a realistic teenager and despite her flaws, is a compelling character. I may like Kuroneko better, but I like Kirino too.

I am also a big fan of Haruhi Suzumiya, and I understand why she is polarizing figure. I just remember that she is a good person at heart and she rarely acts out of malice and the character development that she and Kyon go through is what in part makes me love the anime and light novels so much.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters, enjoyed, hated, personal