AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 15
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 45 24.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 46 25.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 49 27.07%
7 out of 10 : Good... 24 13.26%
6 out of 10 : Average... 6 3.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 5 2.76%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 2 1.10%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.55%
1 out of 10 : Tortuous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-16, 10:33   Link #421
dmaxzero

I dont know, but at least for what I think is ethical and right, You dont go and marry a comatose, underage girl without having a hidden, probably not nice agenda.

Of all that is possible or not, it bothers me more the father accepting all that crap.

But since its anime, I ll go with it poker face style.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 11:16   Link #422
Clarste
Human

The father assumes she's going to die in her sleep. Everyone does. Because that's simply the most likely outcome. So he wants to get his future son-in-law officially into the family as soon as possible, before it's too late. And there's never been any doubt that Sugou would be the son-in-law; I assume the arranged marriage was being talked about well before the accident.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 11:22   Link #423
Insane
Banned

Yeah, and probably Asuna had understand the rotten side of Sugou since long ago but for some reason she couldn't tell her dad about it. Considering what a creep of a fiance she’s been engaged to, I can now sort of understand why a rich fine lady like Asuna would decide to “escape reality” and play online games like SAO.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 16:10   Link #424
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
The father assumes she's going to die in her sleep. Everyone does. Because that's simply the most likely outcome. So he wants to get his future son-in-law officially into the family as soon as possible, before it's too late. And there's never been any doubt that Sugou would be the son-in-law; I assume the arranged marriage was being talked about well before the accident.
I think that's an interesting perspective. I didn't get the impression that anyone was thinking she was going to die in her sleep necessarily; after all, it's her father's company (and Nobuyuki's division) that's keeping them alive. But it's true that they don't know when she'll wake up, so the father seemed to be understanding if Nobuyuki didn't want to wait for her and wanted to find someone else. I do also agree that the plans for the arranged marriage were made long ago (though it may have been something their families discussed without bringing it up with Asuna, since he made it clear that she wouldn't have supported if they asked her). Nobuyuki is like family to them, so I don't think the father has any reason at all to think that his request is out of the ordinary (and he may even appreciate someone of Nobuyuki's stature agreeing to join his family despite his daughter's "present condition", as distasteful as I find that to say). I also think it's quite possible that the father may have had an arranged marriage himself, so it may not have occurred to them that his daughter wouldn't want to follow her role and marry for status and preserving the family name (that she may want to marry for "love", like the uncultured kids these days... ).

Basically, I think the whole concept of arranged marriages seems strange to a lot of people, but it's still something that exists (even in this "era", amazingly...). Obviously that itself is being setup as a "villain" in this plot because it's being put up against "true love" and, as we all know, love is going to win in the end.
Old 2012-10-16, 16:18   Link #425
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
(though it may have been something their families discussed without bringing it up with Asuna, since he made it clear that she wouldn't have supported if they asked her).
Remember how Asuna described herself during the first year of SAO? She was timid and cowardly and unwilling to take the risk of even leaving Beginnings Town. Take that attitude and imagine Asuna before SAO. I think she was the quiet good girl unwilling to disobey or even speak out against her father's wishes. What I'm saying is that I think Asuna did know about the arranged marriage, hated it all the while, but was too timid to let her father know. However, she was less able to hide her feelings from Sugou who seems to be quite adept at reading people's psychology. (Not only did he play father, he knew exactly how to thwart Kirito after only one meeting.)

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 16:27   Link #426
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I think that's an interesting perspective. I didn't get the impression that anyone was thinking she was going to die in her sleep necessarily; after all, it's her father's company (and Nobuyuki's division) that's keeping them alive. But it's true that they don't know when she'll wake up, so the father seemed to be understanding if Nobuyuki didn't want to wait for her and wanted to find someone else. I do also agree that the plans for the arranged marriage were made long ago (though it may have been something their families discussed without bringing it up with Asuna, since he made it clear that she wouldn't have supported if they asked her). Nobuyuki is like family to them, so I don't think the father has any reason at all to think that his request is out of the ordinary (and he may even appreciate someone of Nobuyuki's stature agreeing to join his family despite his daughter's "present condition", as distasteful as I find that to say). I also think it's quite possible that the father may have had an arranged marriage himself, so it may not have occurred to them that his daughter wouldn't want to follow her role and marry for status and preserving the family name (that she may want to marry for "love", like the uncultured kids these days... ).

Basically, I think the whole concept of arranged marriages seems strange to a lot of people, but it's still something that exists (even in this "era", amazingly...). Obviously that itself is being setup as a "villain" in this plot because it's being put up against "true love" and, as we all know, love is going to win in the end.
Arranged marriages are one thing. Giving away your comatose daughter's another.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 16:41   Link #427
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Arranged marriages are one thing. Giving away your comatose daughter's another.
Eh, it happens more happen than you think, comatose or not.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 16:48   Link #428
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Eh, it happens more happen than you think, comatose or not.
Sure it happens all the time, but I don't think that's his point. He's just stressing that proceeding with the arranged marriage when your daughter is comatose is something else entirely. One step viler, if you'd say.

Though, if you consider the farce that Sugou acted on their family, I think Asuna's father wasn't thinking he's "giving away" her daughter, but "entrusting" her.
Old 2012-10-16, 16:58   Link #429
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah. Arranged marriage are a more complicated issue, which can range from "sure, why not?" to "please remember that women aren't cattle". I can see no justification for what they're doing to Asuna.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 17:54   Link #430
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Though, if you consider the farce that Sugou acted on their family, I think Asuna's father wasn't thinking he's "giving away" her daughter, but "entrusting" her.
Pretty much this. That being said, this is hardly the first ill-conceived "arranged marriage" in an anime
Old 2012-10-16, 18:01   Link #431
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I wouldn't even say he's "entrusting her" -- he's only taking the next step in an already-agreed arrangement for their two families to be joined. It's just a completely different mentality about marriage; it isn't really about either of them (either him or her), it's about continuing the family line and having a successor to the family business. And yeah, it seems pretty antiquated to most of us today, but that's sort of the point too.
Old 2012-10-16, 18:09   Link #432
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
I wouldn't even say he's "entrusting her" -- he's only taking the next step in an already-agreed arrangement for their two families to be joined. It's just a completely different mentality about marriage; it isn't really about either of them (either him or her), it's about continuing the family line and having a successor to the family business. And yeah, it seems pretty antiquated to most of us today, but that's sort of the point too.
Perhaps so. Though, remind me, was Asuna really that important to be the business successor? I guess she is an only child then?
Old 2012-10-16, 18:28   Link #433
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Perhaps so. Though, remind me, was Asuna really that important to be the business successor? I guess she is an only child then?
Well, I don't know if that has been revealed yet in the anime. I think the key, though, is that he'll be taking on the "Yuuki" name. That could have happened through marriage, but now is technically happening through adoption.

(Actually, it just occurred to me that, because of this odd technicality, we now have two possible relationships with "fake" siblings explored in this arc. Nobuyuki was apparently groomed to be the family heir and has been "treated like family" since he was young, so is already kind of like a brother to Asuna and now really will become her brother through adoption. Kazuto was adopted by his mother's sister as a child, and is Suguha's adopted brother. The only difference is that Suguha and Kazuto are actually related (cousins).)
Old 2012-10-16, 18:32   Link #434
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I don't know if that has been revealed yet in the anime.
[mod edit: removed something not mentioned in the anime]

Like it or not, arranged marriage for political/business expediency is still very much alive, especially in eastern aristocratic society.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-16 at 22:47.
Old 2012-10-16, 19:14   Link #435
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Ehhh, I don't like where the anime is right now. Compared to the other past episodes this one was quite different. I'm am sorta seeing where this is leading too though so i'm hoping this was just a fluke on my part and that I start enjoying the anime again.
Old 2012-10-17, 01:54   Link #436
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'm surprised no one has complained about the lack of action yet.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 06:38   Link #437
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
The only difference is that Suguha and Kazuto are actually related (cousins).
Well, that and Suguha and Kazuto actually like each other.
Old 2012-10-17, 09:39   Link #438
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
Ehhh, I don't like where the anime is right now. Compared to the other past episodes this one was quite different. I'm am sorta seeing where this is leading too though so i'm hoping this was just a fluke on my part and that I start enjoying the anime again.
Give it time I'm sure it's going to get back the the whole action adventure stuff soon. Kirito now has a Asuna's location and there is no doubt going to find her.
Old 2012-10-17, 09:47   Link #439
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
It's not like every anime ep has to be an action-centric episode, yes?
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 09:47   Link #440
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Nope. No need to. After 14 episodes full of action scenes, we need at least one episode dedicated for slice of life in order to refresh things.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote