AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-08-11, 09:33   Link #41
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copy Ninja Kakashi
I hope it's true and hopefully there will be a new CE story (sorry UC fans)
I don't entirely dislike the possibility of a new C.E. series... I just don't see them having much left to do if they decide to rehash yet another UC series. Of course, animating some of the Astrays wouldn't be undesirable. >.>; I don't care if its UC, CE, AC, AW, etc., I just want a 'good' gundam series. One where the emphasis is on politics and conflict, not relationships and fanservice.

Also, NeonZ, don't hold your breath over a new EVA series.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 09:43   Link #42
nightbringer360

Here's to hoping it's a Gundam Sentinel/Crossbone Gundam animation. That would be totally sweet.

Otherwise, I'm interested in seeing what the director of FMA can do with a Gundam series.
nightbringer360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 10:20   Link #43
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
"Moonphase reports a new Gundam series is under consideration for Oct 2007 directed by Seiji Mizushima, director of Full Metal Alchemist. If true, it will occupy the Saturday 6pm slot on TBS. Currently Blood+ occupies this slot with Aykashi Ayashi taking over this Fall. This info is based on leaked internal source so take it with grain of salt."

link: http://aeug.blogspot.com/

I'm gonna go somewhere and sit for a minute while I digest this...
Old 2006-08-11, 10:31   Link #44
SuperAsuradaGundam

Send a message via AIM to SuperAsuradaGundam
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness

I'm gonna go somewhere and sit for a minute while I digest this...

Fullmetal Gundam would be a suitable codename for this project (if it exists)
SuperAsuradaGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 10:33   Link #45
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Mobile Suit Gundam Al
Has a good ring to it, no?
Old 2006-08-11, 11:04   Link #46
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Mobile Suit Gundam Triple S : Shamans, Slayers and Seiji.

Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 11:44   Link #47
Rever129

Holy crap if this news is true. FMA is one of my favorite shows. Having the director of FMA doing a new Gundam show would be killer.
Rever129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 12:10   Link #48
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paper
Also, NeonZ, don't hold your breath over a new EVA series.
He's probably talking about the live action movies being studied by Weta Workshop... Even though the artwork is there we have yet to see whether they'll go along with it. GAINAX confirmed countless times that NGE would have no sequel (especially since there is no foundations at all for an hypothetical one, considering how EoE ended).

As for the purported new Gundam series, if it's CE-centered, I hope it won't be a Endless Waltz-spinoff. That'd be really lame for a closure to the universe.
...And so they destroyed their mighty Gundams and there were no wars ever after. The End.
Right.

That makes me want to really believe in Durandal's 'war will always be present throughout Mankind's history' lines. IMO they're better off ending the series with a major, worldwide conflagration (not necessarily using racism as crux of the problem) leaving the entire planet and PLANT half-dead but paving the way for a new world order where the Coordinator-Natural conflict would have no reason to exist. Bittersweet ending yeah but not Endless Waltz. I doubt CE leaders would be stupid or exceedingly (ridiculously, I mean) righteous enough to let go of such important pieces of technology.
Old 2006-08-11, 12:30   Link #49
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334
He's probably talking about the live action movies being studied by Weta Workshop... Even though the artwork is there we have yet to see whether they'll go along with it. GAINAX confirmed countless times that NGE would have no sequel (especially since there is no foundations at all for an hypothetical one, considering how EoE ended).
I'm not so sure about that, it seems there's some talk about it, just check this thread in the General Anime Section:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=34958
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 18:57   Link #50
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paper
I just want a 'good' gundam series. One where the emphasis is on politics and conflict, not relationships and fanservice
Historically, I don’t think that Gundam TV shows have been all that successful at portraying any of those subjects (with the exception of fanservice). Gundam tends to do better with just trying to make things interesting and fun.
Old 2006-08-11, 19:14   Link #51
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

True.

It doesn't even have to be politics, after GSD I'm just tired of the fanservice. Some is exceptable since the genre is after all a form of fanservice in itself (the mecha being the fanservice I'm refering to). However, I'd like a series where the creators don't intentionally/unintentionally substituting dynamic plot and character development with shower scenes, bath scenes, character pairings, impossible survivals, etc., and actually give the series and the conflict that accompanies it some measure of realism. A well thoughtout series that isn't rushed through production and reeks of being nothing more than a cash grab. >.>
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 19:32   Link #52
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Well, Stargazer and Ms igLoo actually did that for us. If their success has told them anything it's that fans want a more serious approach to Gundam for once and not this craptacular BS like Gundam SEED and such. It's sad when the SEED side stories have more depth to them than the actual shows themselves.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 19:42   Link #53
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Stargazer is going to tank big time. Book it.
Old 2006-08-11, 19:54   Link #54
Bleed Kaga
Basketball Star

I don't pretend to know the #s, but I'm not sure Stargazer and/or igLoo's success is anywhere close to SEED-related products. We all know being mainstream doesn't necessarily mean good quality. Any video game from EA and games such as Spiderman or Harry Potter easily outsells any so-called quality games.

Fukuda stated multiple times the target audience for SEED are people around 14 years old with an emphasis on the female demographic. It has obviously worked. A gundam TV series is the biggest venture for Bandai. To maximize their earnings, I'm not sure they will want the risk of targeting another demographic.
Bleed Kaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 20:09   Link #55
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Kaga
I don't pretend to know the #s, but I'm not sure Stargazer and/or igLoo's success is anywhere close to SEED-related products. We all know being mainstream doesn't necessarily mean good quality. Any video game from EA and games such as Spiderman or Harry Potter easily outsells any so-called quality games.

Fukuda stated multiple times the target audience for SEED are people around 14 years old with an emphasis on the female demographic. It has obviously worked. A gundam TV series is the biggest venture for Bandai. To maximize their earnings, I'm not sure they will want the risk of targeting another demographic.
I love how everyone hides behind the "sales" excuse. igLoo and Stargazer didn't have as HUGE of a budget that SEED or DESTINY has, but it was big enough for the shows to make an impact thus far on the Gundam community. If you look at the talk on BBS, 2chan, blogs, etc they have nothing by praise for the series. Apocalypse 0079 (since they actually offered this on mainstream) was on Oricon's #1 spot for sales. I think that says something. Badai really doesn't deal with the risks... it's Sunrise that dictates it. The only thing they care about is making models and selling them. Stargazers line is making fans cream their pants in anticipation.

And obviously if Fukuda was the master of his domain with SEED and DESTINY, then he wouldn't need to kill off the entire Cosmic Era with a movie now would he? Nor would he have to make a show for the kiddies. Stargazer and igLoo were specifically created to market towards the older generation of Gundam fans, and it just goes to show that it can kick the kiddy shit in the teeth.

Quote:
We all know being mainstream doesn't necessarily mean good quality.
Quoted again for truth for SEED and DESTINY.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 21:32   Link #56
Bleed Kaga
Basketball Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues
I love how everyone hides behind the "sales" excuse. igLoo and Stargazer didn't have as HUGE of a budget that SEED or DESTINY has, but it was big enough for the shows to make an impact thus far on the Gundam community. If you look at the talk on BBS, 2chan, blogs, etc they have nothing by praise for the series. Apocalypse 0079 (since they actually offered this on mainstream) was on Oricon's #1 spot for sales. I think that says something. Badai really doesn't deal with the risks... it's Sunrise that dictates it. The only thing they care about is making models and selling them. Stargazers line is making fans cream their pants in anticipation.

And obviously if Fukuda was the master of his domain with SEED and DESTINY, then he wouldn't need to kill off the entire Cosmic Era with a movie now would he? Nor would he have to make a show for the kiddies. Stargazer and igLoo were specifically created to market towards the older generation of Gundam fans, and it just goes to show that it can kick the kiddy shit in the teeth.

Quoted again for truth for SEED and DESTINY.
I generally agree with what you said and am really hoping you're right, but I still have doubts. I was more thinking of Turn-A Gundam (my favorite Gundam series) when I made that post, but the Z movies were successful so there's still hope. I made a mistake when I said Bandai instead of Sunrise, because I actually think Bandai didn't benefit that much from the SEED series. The models didn't do so well I heard, but the Lacus / Lunamaria figurines, drama CDs, posters, key chains, body pillows, or whatever sold extremely well. I'm not sure who benefits from all these, Sunrise or Bandai, but I assume this profit line may be severely crippled with a series marketed towards the older generation (even though I do want a Haman figure. )
Bleed Kaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 22:00   Link #57
eddmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Mobile Suit Gundam Al
Has a good ring to it, no?

indeed.... ____ _____ Gundam Al! LAUNCHING!

eddmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 23:51   Link #58
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I assume Al operates via his Fullmetal OS ^^...

Are their 360 degree screens or do you just get the eye holes?

To be serious for a moment, FMA is one of my favorite animes because it really achieves a level of continuous-flow in-terms of intensity, drama, and atmosphere (It also boasts some of the best comedic filler eps you are ever gonna find)...While I'm not sure what other animes I've seen from Seiji I suspect FMA is the jewel in his crown...I know during certain arcs of FMA I just couldn't wait to see the next episode as it kept me interested and immersed in the story...From beginning to end I felt the overflow of emotions...I also loved most of the characters and thought many of the secondary characters were well-developed for the most part...Characters like Maes Hughes still hold a special place with me...I'm definatley willing to see what flair this guy can add to Gundam if the rumors are true...I still in my heart of hearts wanted S. Watanabe (Bebop, Champloo, Macross, Animatrix) to get a shot at directing Gundam because his attention to style and thematic, genre-bending concepts are so l33t to me, but if I can enjoy a Gundam series like I did FMA I can't say that would be bad...
Old 2006-08-12, 01:28   Link #59
cloudedge

I watch the full series of FMA in like... 2-3 days >.>; I believe... it had a good story... and as I discuss FMA with one of my friend, I recall we said that FMA was actually a very dark story... with lots of implicit display of human suffereing... Despite the light-heart humor, it gloss over some very grim yet real themes... like the core theme of "Law of Conservation"... to gain something you must lose something...

Personally, I feel that War is one of these grim dark topic... and I'm excited that about a director who had previously dealt with some heavy theme take on the next Gundam project. (rather than glossing war out as just another backdrop for protecting your "friends" kind of story).

However, I am still a little worried if Seiji's has only directed FMA that he may not be able to deliever what he did with FMA in a Gundam series, as FMA are based on manga, which means, it has a clear vision, theme, character development, and story/setting backdrop and heck even keyframe layouts before the animation even start. Gundam is usually a challenge for anime creation team because the production is more adhoc especailly when the director doesn't have a fixed direction/vision for the series. . .
cloudedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 01:29   Link #60
MeggieMay

Quote:
"Moonphase reports a new Gundam series is under consideration for Oct 2007 directed by Seiji Mizushima, director of Full Metal Alchemist. If true, it will occupy the Saturday 6pm slot on TBS. Currently Blood+ occupies this slot with Aykashi Ayashi taking over this Fall. This info is based on leaked internal source so take it with grain of salt."

link: http://aeug.blogspot.com/
While I'd also like to see more CE I'm suspicious this is the new UC show that was rumored last summer around this time. At that point, the rumor mentioned they were aiming for Fall 2007 with it because that will be close to Mobile Suit Gundam's 30th Anniversery (2009) and something had the 2006/2007 timeslot after Blood+ ended (which turned out to be true).

However, whether it's CE, UC or a new AU, I am curious to see how the director of FMA would handle Gundam - if the rumor turns out to be true.
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote