AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-02-17, 23:24   Link #1
Fishman

Kimagure Orange Road TV

So i recently watched all 48 episodes and i liked it, it was a nice ride, but i feel that the relationship between ayukawa and kasuga has not been fully developed. Does anybody have any comments on the series? will their be a movie or ova for it released?
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-18, 01:57   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

There already are TWO movies and EIGHT OVAs.

The first movie finishes the show. It completes the evolution of the relationships between Kasuga, Ayakawa and Hikaru. The second movie is to be avoided and I find it quite unnecessary.

The OVAs are all side stories.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-18, 02:09   Link #3
suguru
京都 ikitai~

There's a second movie also, Summer's Beginning, that provides some closure and shows you what happens to Madoka, Hikaru, and Kyousuke a few years in the future.

EDIT: Ah, should have known NoSanninWa would correct the mistake before I could type this I really liked the second movie, but I'm a sucker for that kind of ending and for me it helped make up for parts of the first movie. The new character designs in the second movie were a little jarring though, I would have liked it better if they'd stuck with the old ones.

It's definitely worth watching both movies if you liked the TV series. The OVAs are good too, but they're really just side stories, if they were aired with the rest of the show you'd probably call them filler episodes.

Overall I liked KOR, although Kyousuke's indecisiveness and Hikaru being SO obnoxious just made me want to smack both of them sometimes. Hikaru's voice is just nails on a chalkboard to me, aside from Chappi in Hime-chan's Ribbon it's hard for me to think of a voice I like less. Still, the triangle was well done, if a little drawn out, and the movies did a great job of wrapping up the story. It's not my favorite series, but it's an 80s anime classic for good reason.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-18, 11:26   Link #4
Fishman

Ya KOR was good for an older anime, any idea what a similar anime would be ? one that is modern maybe like shuffle or suzuka something of that romance echi type thing
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 07:37   Link #5
Stxopher
Confused but useless....

Kim. Orange Road goes away....

Didn't see it anywhere (though it might be due to lack of coffee at the moment) but Animego has lost the license to Kim.Orange Road and will cease production of the DVDs at the end of July.

This means if you're like I am and only have some of the discs you had better get off your kiester and get them now.
Stxopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 08:00   Link #6
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

That would mean the fansubs can be posted again ... that's a good thing.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 10:57   Link #7
Stxopher
Confused but useless....

True, but there is something about having the actual discs. Especially for older series. Not that having the discs would stop me from getting the subs (since they work so well on the media box drives).

Now that KOR is stopping, I better start looking harder at Urusei Yatsura just in case. (Man, I hate getting old.....)
Old 2006-06-13, 01:20   Link #8
Dural
Me > You

This shit couldn't have happened at a worst time for me. I'm currently saving every penny I can because I plan to be out of a job for no longer than two months when I move to Seattle next month, but the dvds are super cheap.

I hate priorities but it's gotta come first.
Dural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 23:42   Link #9
GundamZZ
残念美人

Why do I miss 1980? KOR and Macross are probably some of the stuffs came to my mind. I like the manga ending the best. They kind screw up ending in the first movie, at least I think. Fortunatly, they managed to fix that sucky ending in the novel. The second movie is based on the novel. It's quite good closure. By the way, it's one of the first anime with so many great songs.
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 01:26   Link #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman
So i recently watched all 48 episodes and i liked it, it was a nice ride, but i feel that the relationship between ayukawa and kasuga has not been fully developed. Does anybody have any comments on the series? will their be a movie or ova for it released?
Try to find the comics and read them, if you can. Matsumoto's style wasn't as refined in the beginning, but wait a few volumes and the quality picks up. Having said that, this is one of the series where I prefer the anime over the original manga. The anime has fewer characters, so it can focus the story on the love triangle more.

There are a couple of novels, too. However, I suggest you only read the first one. The other novels are crap. Come to think of it, if you saw the 2nd movie, maybe it's not worth the effort of reading it, either, as they basically have the same plot.

KOR is what got me hooked into anime almost 15 years ago (god, now I feel old... ). Obviously I'm biased, but I think the fact that people still find KOR interesting after almost 20 years sets KOR apart from the garden variety romantic comedy--none have the same "flavor", IMHO.
Old 2006-06-15, 07:37   Link #11
Stxopher
Confused but useless....

There is still an interest in it if you can get people to watch it. If it doesn't grab their attention in the first, oh 30 seconds nowadays, often they tell themselves "it's junk" and "it's old". This is especially common with older shows.

My solution? Seperate the stuff you feel is worth watching but may not get the chance due to animation age or story speed. At home, those type (such as KOR, Maison Ikkoku, heck even Haibane Renmei and Kinos Journey) get put on a different shelf with a big "NOT FOR YOU" sign on it. When any of the kids (relatives, friends or club) ask why, they're told that those types of shows are to boring for them. At that point youthful nature takes over and they become somewhat fixated on some of them. (I make it a point to mention which ones I ABSOLUTELY know they will not like because I know more than they do. Gets 'em every time.)

Hmmm, another reason to complete the KOR collection. MI and Touch are 2 of the more popular shows at the weekly shows and putting KOR in with them would just make that day even better! (Now if I could just get subs for all the Hiatari Ryoko the night would be perfect.)
Old 2006-08-08, 12:58   Link #12
jzmagic
flargansbog

i can't believe the license for KOR is expiring, its truly sad to see such a great classic go out like this. well for those who were lucky to watch this series and read the manga, just keep on reccomending this to people KOR will live forever
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 03:40   Link #13
Stranger

wow, it is expired?!, well I only need DVD 11 and 12 to complete my TV version. I wander if they will ever make a new version of this show.

any way, I remember watching KOR years back on an Asian channel, and I have to say it was *MORE* then 80 eps.... don't know why only 48 got to be released

some of the funniest eps were when the grandparents came to visit their grandchildren.... and the fact that the grandfather is womanizer (note: they will visit many times)
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-27, 12:50   Link #14
karasuma

Ha.... this bring back good memories. Yes, his grandpa is funny and so do his little cousin.. I also remember spending a long time trying to config out what is going on at the end. It was a little over my head at that time.
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 08:16   Link #15
koolaje

Time to bring back an old thread back to life ..

I can't get enough of Ayukawa-san .. make another movie !!! :P
koolaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 04:27   Link #16
koolaje

Btw, which one of the new novels is actually the real thing? (Not Fan made) Novel 1 is made to Shin KOR Movie 2 right?

Kimagure Orang Road Movie - I Want To Return To That Day
koolaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 05:46   Link #17
Beansy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
wow, it is expired?!, well I only need DVD 11 and 12 to complete my TV version. I wander if they will ever make a new version of this show.

any way, I remember watching KOR years back on an Asian channel, and I have to say it was *MORE* then 80 eps.... don't know why only 48 got to be released
No, it was 48 tv episodes. There were also about eight OVA episodes, two movies, and a pilot (was later remade into the beach episode). I've seen all of it but the pilot (which was later remade into the beach episode). The OVA episodes were basically like tv episodes, except they took place when everyone was just slightly older, and had slightly better animation. The first movie, which took place when every one was seniors, could've probably been split up into about three episodes, and passed off as tv episodes. Even if you add the pilot though, and even if you somehow split up the last movie which took place many years later and had radically different character designs, that's only 64 "episodes."

EDIT: Shit, I just realized I replied to a post made last August. Maybe I shouldn't have done that ^_^;
Beansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 11:06   Link #18
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Ayukawa, the original Tsundere

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-19, 09:26   Link #19
ssfsx17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
Ayukawa, the original Tsundere
Indeed... seems to be some kind of winning formula in romance anime.
ssfsx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-19, 09:58   Link #20
Arkhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stxopher View Post
There is still an interest in it if you can get people to watch it. If it doesn't grab their attention in the first, oh 30 seconds nowadays, often they tell themselves "it's junk" and "it's old". This is especially common with older shows.
That's really a pity. KOR, along with MI, is one of the most heartwarming, funny and intelligent series I've ever seen. I discovered it a couple of years ago. I remember having watched the episode when Madoka is hypnotized by Kyosuke on a spanish tv channel in 1995, and since then I tried to figure out which was the name of the series (I only remembered the plot of that episode).

The OST is wonderful (and huge!). But what I like the most about KOR is the symbolic language used.
Arkhan is offline   Reply With Quote