AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-06-13, 23:23   Link #301
Silver Soul
Banned

Thank you!, I had the picture in my hardrive but I didn't understand how to edit it since it was given me a URL, sorry about that!
Silver Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 23:25   Link #302
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
No problem. It had to be done. That Maka cosplayer is hawt.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 07:31   Link #303
lmd_84

Regarding what was being said on the previous page, I'd be disappointed if Black Star becomes the central character. His story and goals appear to be the simplest of the lot and the easiest resolved; he wants power, he should get it without ending up a Kishin. That's that. I think there's (comparatively) more to work on on the relationships and personalities of the other pairs.

But maybe I'm dismissing Black Star because I don't hold with his 'number one' goal; what's the point in power for the sake of it? Maka's complaint in the Duel Arts chapter was that he seemed to matter so much despite appearing to care only about himself. It took him almost 40 chapters and numerous defeats to see that his attempts at being a 'god' was doing more harm than good; getting knocked out by Kid was the last straw for Black Star.

I hope he returns to Shibusen with a more reasonable outlook on what he wants. Either that or start getting affected by the insanity wavelength and be done with it. I'm bored with his attitude.
lmd_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 08:25   Link #304
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd_84 View Post
Regarding what was being said on the previous page, I'd be disappointed if Black Star becomes the central character...
I actually find his current situation quite interesting. Not that he will become a central character (as Maka has that part down) but he can't be dismissed from getting suitable development. Out of the three though it is Kidd who isn't getting enough. I wonder if the insanity will ever hit him too.

Though for Black star I won't be so fast to judge. He has his reasons which I do believe will hold more meaning in the future.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 08:43   Link #305
Silver Soul
Banned

Well there may be a time in which Kidd would have to upfront his father about his past with Arachne, I mean it seems wrong but what if she is his mother now that would be interesting
Old 2008-06-14, 10:15   Link #306
lmd_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
Well there may be a time in which Kidd would have to upfront his father about his past with Arachne, I mean it seems wrong but what if she is his mother now that would be interesting
About 800 years ago with a....male who doesn't appear to have much of a physical body to speak of? Kid's only a young teenager, though, even if we ignore the anatomical difficulties, and Shinigami's not long realised Arachne's still alive.

Much as I like the guy, I think Kid's a plot device; in that he's a 'cool' but eccentric character whose being a shinigami just looks good, giving him a air of mystery and power over his peers. Because of that, I'm not convinced we're going to get a full explanation of Kid's origins, much as I would like one.

First time I heard he was meant to be Shinigami's son, I actually assumed Kid was adopted. *shrug*

I think Kid is going to have to confront his dear dad at some point. He's not going to let the Eibon thing lie, and was terribly unimpressed at the suggestion Shinigami was anything other than the respected, honourable man Kid seems to see him as. But then again, he's aware he's young and doesn't know everything about his father's past, which makes me think he's not going to be too hasty in bringing up his concerns; Kid's said himself he thinks Shinigami will just try to ignore any questions like he initially did with Kishin.

But I think the end of the Baba Yaga arc will reveal something on this issue; the past and the present are getting very close as far so Death and the witches are concerned; Arachne and the Shinigami's son in the same place.

One thing I like about Shinigami's character design is that it is very hard to tell what he's actually feeling or thinking. With that 'goofy' robe and mask getup he looks pretty harmless. His mode of speech and manner (assuming translations are correct) switch between casual and formal, something which the anime VA is already reflecting in his performance. He's more serious more often since the Kishin resurrection, but still has moments of humour.

Deathkillz - Thanks for the reality-check re Black Star. I tend to latch onto opinions of characters too quickly, so I'd do well to pay more attention to the development he is getting in the manga.
Old 2008-06-14, 10:59   Link #307
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I think they'll all have their Oedipus Rex moments.

Maka was heading for one from the get go, explicitly and unashamedly. It's probably the most harmless situation and may actually defuse into some kind of reconciliation.

Black Star's and Kidd's have surfaced more recently and may be more dramatic.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 12:17   Link #308
Zoe

busy busy busy

Quote:
About 800 years ago with a....male who doesn't appear to have much of a physical body to speak of?
We don't know that. Kid looks like a mini-Shinigami-sama whenever he wears the cloak + mask.

Quote:
Kid's only a young teenager, though, even if we ignore the anatomical difficulties, and Shinigami's not long realised Arachne's still alive.
Considering Shinigami-sama has been around for 800+ years (the witches too, apparently), we have no idea at what rate they age. And Kid is always quick to remind people that he has a god's body.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 12:29   Link #309
Silver Soul
Banned

Exactly for all we know he may be half Shinigami-sama's age but looks like he's twelve through human eyes or ages different from them plus as I recall his age was never put in to question at all.
Spoiler for Age:
Old 2008-06-14, 13:06   Link #310
lmd_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
We don't know that. Kid looks like a mini-Shinigami-sama whenever he wears the cloak + mask.
I'm not going to question the ageing thing (it's something I hadn't thought of), but when Kid wears the cloak it's obvious on a few occasions that's what it is; he's wearing it over his normal clothes. When Kid gets injured, he bleeds.

In contrast, with Shinigami, when Asura attacks him, he's left with a hole, and immediately afterwards a broken mask with nothing behind it. At the time, it looked to me as though there's no depth to him, as though the mask and cloak is all there is. But, yes, as you say, we don't really know what he looks like.
Old 2008-06-15, 02:04   Link #311
kagato3

Well, there is also the fact that Asura was also refered to as a warrior shinigami and looked human untill he went mad and became a cosmic horror. I think Death (Sr.)'s condition is due to what ever he did to bind him self to the city as a seal Stien said that the city is now part of his body and one of his comments to Sid sounded like what we were seeing was not his real body. I would say that the upper limit to Kid's age is the same as the schools.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-15, 03:47   Link #312
HiroInazuma
Boss of Ecchi Yazuka

I'm just wondering how Shinigami reproduced and where is Kidd's mother
HiroInazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-15, 07:11   Link #313
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Well, there is also the fact that Asura was also refered to as a warrior shinigami
Bad translation.
Old 2008-06-15, 08:41   Link #314
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I'm not going to question the ageing thing (it's something I hadn't thought of), but when Kid wears the cloak it's obvious on a few occasions that's what it is; he's wearing it over his normal clothes. When Kid gets injured, he bleeds.

In contrast, with Shinigami, when Asura attacks him, he's left with a hole, and immediately afterwards a broken mask with nothing behind it. At the time, it looked to me as though there's no depth to him, as though the mask and cloak is all there is. But, yes, as you say, we don't really know what he looks like.
Yea, what I believe is that Shinigami doesn't actually have a "physical" or human form body. Whether he can transform himself into one though will be something to look out for. I suddenly imagine Shinigami tansforming into a hot Bishie type character
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroInazuma View Post
I'm just wondering how Shinigami reproduced and where is Kidd's mother
Does he have a mother?

I was thinking if Shinigami can reproduce by meiosis...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2008-06-15, 09:15   Link #315
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
I was thinking if Shinigami can reproduce by meiosis...
I thought the process was mitosis, but it's been a while since biology.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-15, 09:19   Link #316
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I thought the process was mitosis, but it's been a while since biology.
Mitosis only duplicates yourself but I don't see Kidd as a clone of shinigami. So meiosis, production of sex cells has to do instead

Well, half of shinigami's genes is more than enough to grow up with XD

(Great that the biology is still fresh in my mind ).

Old 2008-06-15, 15:26   Link #317
lmd_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Well, there is also the fact that Asura was also refered to as a warrior shinigami and looked human untill he went mad and became a cosmic horror. I think Death (Sr.)'s condition is due to what ever he did to bind him self to the city as a seal Stien said that the city is now part of his body and one of his comments to Sid sounded like what we were seeing was not his real body. I would say that the upper limit to Kid's age is the same as the schools.
The possible "bad translation" aside (I wouldn't know), we've seen what Shinigami looks like pre-Shibusen. It looks more like cosmetic changes, his shadowy robes and skeletal mask replaced with ones less creepy (he claims to Asura it's because he didn't want to scare young children, but who knows with this guy). Even that doesn't mean we've seen his real body, though. *sigh* There's only so much speculation we can do with the information we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Yea, what I believe is that Shinigami doesn't actually have a "physical" or human form body. Whether he can transform himself into one though will be something to look out for. I suddenly imagine Shinigami tansforming into a hot Bishie type character
A...amusing image. I'd dislike that, even if he really looked like a normal human. Shinigami is the most bizarre-looking and acting character in the series. He's fine as he is, I would just be happy knowing what that is.

Kid is weird in his own ways. Death City would be a fun place if he ever takes over his dad's job. The whole parentage issue is nagging me, but I'm out of ideas.
Old 2008-06-15, 22:10   Link #318
Zoe

Usually I just whenever people say "Bu-buh, Black Star is a parody of Naruto!!" This line in 50 though...

Spoiler:

Old 2008-06-16, 02:28   Link #319
lmd_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
Usually I just whenever people say "Bu-buh, Black Star is a parody of Naruto!!" This line in 50 though...

Spoiler:

Oh, that's funny. Yeah, I like that.

I wouldn't really call Black Star a parody of Naruto (because that would suggest it intended as such), but the author surely couldn't have made that character with all his attitude, abilities, and backstory without thinking people would be making some comparisons to other shounen characters. They're just too glaringly obvious, whatever the author intended. Anyway...
Old 2008-06-17, 00:20   Link #320
Excorsism

Spoiler for Chapter 48:

Oh, how I desire for more chapters!

Tags
shounen