AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 14
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 103 45.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 58 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 19 8.48%
7 out of 10 : Good... 16 7.14%
6 out of 10 : Average... 10 4.46%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.45%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 5 2.23%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 3 1.34%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.45%
1 out of 10 : Tortuous... 8 3.57%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-06, 15:39   Link #81
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Oh, my. I know it's cool to hate on popular stuff.. but this.. it's simply hilarious.
C'mon. He might be exaggerating a bit, but it's a valid criticism nonetheless. And I say this even though I did like the episode.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:42   Link #82
juventas

What is everyone whining about? How is this trolling? I think I must be missing something here, because
Spoiler:
juventas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 15:43   Link #83
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juventas View Post
What is everyone whining about? How is this trolling? I think I must be missing something here, because
Spoiler:
you mean vol 2. it already covered. it's a sidestory like Silica one

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 15:45   Link #84
Aurus

Well next episode is called "Return"..

Wonder if there is something like a early game backup.. just a guess
Aurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 15:45   Link #85
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post

What I'm more concerned about is that, does hair grow when you are in coma like state.
Hair will continue to grow for a while even after you are dead.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:48   Link #86
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
C'mon. He might be exaggerating a bit, but it's a valid criticism nonetheless. And I said this even though I did like the episode.
All he did was rehash someone else's opinion. You expect me to take that person's criticism seriously with that excessive amount of exaggeration in it?
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 15:48   Link #87
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
C'mon. He might be exaggerating a bit, but it's a valid criticism nonetheless. And I said this even though I did like the episode.
It's a valid opinion, but I'm not sure that just not liking a hero being presented as a hero in a story about a hero (and a heroine) is all that useful as "criticism". It's not like there isn't a long history of recognized fiction in many cultures about heroes. And, as I said above, most of the plot elements he is complaining about were clearly foreshadowed in the story as well (like, being the player with the fastest reaction time, figuring out who Heathcliff really was, having a chance to duel the villain, and even being able to win -- he was allowed to win). I suppose there are a few things that come across as bit convenient in this episode, but it's a bit too exaggerated to be taken as "valid criticism". It's really just a rant.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:49   Link #88
HandofFate

As to why Asuna is still alive. Any number of reasons can be made up, mercy, breaking the game, ect. Even though rationally, you can try to put the game up to a perfect pedestal with ironclad rules, but the show showed enough instances where 'emotion' or whatever can over-ride aspects of it.

Anyway, decent end to the whole thing. Kayaba's explanation for the whole thing as to why he did it was dumb and totally bs.

I thought it was hilarious how he let Kirito and Asuna think they were still gonna die anyway. That was HeartSeed level of trolling.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:53   Link #89
Aurus

Some points why Asuna probably didnt die:

1. Kirito told to the Admin that Asuna cant kill herself.. which she did in this case..
2. Do you remember the item which can revieve players some seconds after their dead? Maybe there a small time after the ingame dead and the real dead... Since the game ended while Asuna was in "that" time, she didint die.

Just my mind.
Aurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 15:55   Link #90
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Like people have said (myself included), we can only assume that there's a time limit of 10 seconds, if not more, before people actually die in real life after dying in SAO. Kirito managed to land a hit on Heathcliff, which reduced his HP to 0, ending the game and freeing everybody. As for why Asuna survived, there're multiple interpretations: one being that Heathcliff protected her using Immortal status, and another being that Kirito managed to defeat Heathcliff within 10 seconds after her "death".
Interpretations and assumptions aren't good enough. I need an actual legitimate reason or explanation for these things. If it comes later on in the story, then alright, but I don't have very high hopes for that at the moment.

Also how was Kirito able to move his arms after his HP hit 0? Even if there was that delay you mention, he should have been a totally immobile state even after his HP was gone.

Quote:
I think most of the plot threads over the course of the series were closed in this episode. Are there further unexplained anomalies?
Read above statement.

Quote:
Could you clarify? I think the tension between this being a game and being reality was explored quite handily in the last episode, and this episode continues that theme and brings it to a conclusion. I didn't see a contradiction... but maybe I'm missing something.
The scene near the start of episode 5 with Kirito sleeping underneath that tree is largely what I'm referring to.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:56   Link #91
Xaturas

Anyway the only not explained thing is kirito survival.
He got yellow person showing up in his death scene and yellow eyes. Imo it was Yui ghost that actually did save him. Unless he got some magical *power of love* that made his eyes glow yellow.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:59   Link #92
ak4allz
NightlyArt

I dislike the fighting scene (vs Skull Reaper & Heathcliff/Kayaba).... way too easy and was driven too much by emotional rather than rational thinking.

btw, can't wait for next episode.
Old 2012-10-06, 16:01   Link #93
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
he was allowed to win). I suppose there are a few things that come across as bit convenient in this episode, but it's a bit too exaggerated to be taken as "valid criticism". It's really just a rant.
A bit convenient? Asuna breaks free of her paralysis on her own, for example, and even though Kayaba admits he didn't even program a way to break free of it, all he has to say about is "I guess these things happen sometimes".

That's not convenient, that's all out ass-pull. At most you could explain it as the power of love or something like that but that's still pretty out there, specially for this setting.

I personally don't mind because I knew what I was getting into when I started watching, but I can absolutely understand if someone can't except that sort of things so easily. So yeah, I think Duckroll has a point.
Old 2012-10-06, 16:04   Link #94
Solafighter
Hige

Great episode. Though, i liked it more to read the novels, because there you can a lot more detail out of the situation. Anyway, cant wait how they will animate the upcoming story.
Old 2012-10-06, 16:04   Link #95
Deltaray

Well, skullreaper fight really was just zerg fest lol.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 16:05   Link #96
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
The scene near the start of episode 5 with Kirito sleeping underneath that tree is
largely what I'm referring to.
But we've had 8 episodes of development between now and then to develop and progress that idea. We see how Kirito's philosophy affects Asuna which culminates in their marriage, and then how they live their life in Aincrad (on their Honeymoon), and then how the situation with Yui (and situations that follow) remind them that they actually can't stay on this world forever, culimating in Episode 13 with the determination to clear the game that got resolved in this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Also how was Kirito able to move his arms after his HP hit 0? Even if there was that delay you mention, he should have been a totally immobile state even after his HP was gone.
It seems that Kayaba was surprised by this too, given his reaction, but he accepted it. But we did see other people take actions after their HP hit zero (moving their arms and the like) -- just having the strength to lift a weapon is probably beyond the norm. He did indeed say that the he didn't expect people would exceed the expected limits of his programming (to "surpass the laws of his own world").

Quote:
A bit convenient? Asuna breaks free of her paralysis on her own, for example, and even though Kayaba admits he didn't even program a way to break free of it, all he has to say about is "I guess these things happen sometimes".

That's not convenient, that's all out ass-pull. At most you could explain it as the power of love or something like that but that's still pretty out there, specially for this setting.
I think it was pretty clear (particularly based on his tone) that he allowed the paralysis to wear off of Asuna, indirectly resulting in her death. This is why Kirito got so upset after hearing his nonchalant "I guess things happen" explanation. I think that explanation was just a lie. He didn't program the paralysis to be able to be broken free from, which (I would argue) therefore means he did it.

Basically if you take that whole section of dialogue and just treat is as a sarcastic statement (which is what was conveyed in the tone), I think it all makes sense.
Old 2012-10-06, 16:06   Link #97
Sasukeuzi

i just wonder if the series will continue from when they get out of the game.
Sasukeuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 16:12   Link #98
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

-blink- -blink, blink-. Wow.

Just wow.

Half of my time after Kirito and Asuna's 'death' was spent saying "How are they still talking to Kayaba - aren't they all dead?"

Seriously, at the start of the episode (purely from the title), I had a feeling the game would clear, in a way (didn't expect Heathcliff to be Kayaba mind ) - but the survival of Kazuto (and potentially Asuna?) was something I didn't expect.

Never thought I'd say this, but it brought me to tears - joy or despair, I'm still not sure. But fair play to SAO for pulling this off - better off this kind of 'trolling' than one of those series where both survive and they live happily ever after.

Only question now is...where do we go from here?
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 16:13   Link #99
M.A.D

Kirito and Asuna's situation is meant to be left unexplained. It doesn't matter how they did it, the important thing is that both of them had beaten the game of Sword Art Online.

Kayaba had said it himself that he was satisfied from seeing that the law of his own world was broken. Asuna cancelled the paralysis by herself, and Kirito didn't die when he was killed, that's what it means to "beat the game", to overcome the constrain of the system, surpassing its law, breaking something that should not have been possible to be broken.

It's because both Kirito and Asuna had done it that Kayaba had congratulated both of them for beating the game. Kirito skewering Kayaba at the end was just a bonus reward, not the achievement itself.
M.A.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 16:14   Link #100
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think it was pretty clear (particularly based on his tone) that he allowed the paralysis to wear off of Asuna, indirectly resulting in her death.
Now you're trying too hard to explain something the series should have explained on its own but didn't.

He didn't do anything like that btw.