AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 12 [FINALE] Rating
Perfect 10 80 41.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 26.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 10.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 22 11.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 2.05%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.51%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 2.05%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.54%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.51%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-22, 22:15   Link #301
yuskip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
A question, why is Ui's nickname for Azusa, Azusa #2? Does she have another friend named Azusa?
"Azusa #2" is a famous song of Japan.
very good song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACjX3CNRq3g

Last edited by yuskip; 2009-06-22 at 22:31.
Old 2009-06-23, 01:53   Link #302
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Well, finally got around to watching it, and I think it wasn't that bad of an ending, and my thoughts about the entire series haven't changed either...

I don't see anything wrong with the performance animation...Quite frankly, I found it odd, only because I was tainted with a precedent bias reading others' opinions throughout this thread...I really don't remember the gig animation during Haruhi being any different from this, and throughout these past 12 episodes, the ending theme was animated much in the same way, yet nobody complained about that...I guess I'm not the only one that ignores the ending theme though managing to pay attention for this particular time...

I would've preferred a longer gig, I would've preferred another song, I would've preferred more instrumental animations, but I suppose that would probably be asking too much when I enjoyed it anyway...It had a fun feeling to it, and the way the band just got together in a circle and had fun with their encore chorus was a light-hearted way to end the season in the same way a school year would end for summer before beginning anew in the fall...I actually can't wait for the second season now, if just KyoAni would take feedback ques and give us more to the second season that was given in the first...

PERSONAL REVIEW TIME

Back during Episode 4, I gave this assessment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Well, 4 episodes in, and I'm enjoying it, but not as much as I thought it was, for one aspect...Normally, I don't do "slice of life" stuff since it's usually too boring to hold my personal interests, but I made an exception this time around because it had to do with music...And while it's a recurring theme (Though for all practical purposes not the main theme), the music aspect struggles against itself...Every now and then when it pops it's head, I can forgive any shortcomings and allow myself toa relax after forcing myself...

But that still doesn't mean my attention didn't wane at times throughout the episode...

Well, nothing ever really happens in the beginning of a series anyway...Shit just drags on, it picks up in the middle, and continues rolling until the end...But that's such a long way...
By Episode 10, though, my assessment had matured and I became a bit more respective of the series and had grown to like it a lot more than I even remotely thought during the beginning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
I came in as a rock musician/bassist under the impression that this show would've been heavily influenced on music...Obviously that hasn't been the case, akin to seeing a severed Statue of Liberty head on a "Escape from New York" movie poster only to never see that particular image in the film, the show's premise showcases a musical club but doesn't run with it as hard as it could once the episodes start going...But despite the lack of music, I look at it in two ways: 1. It's only a club that only happens to operate as a band, and 2. At least music is still a recurring theme...Pathetic, but when it does turn it's attention to the music, it does try to make the best of it, and I still get a kick out of it no matter what...While I had initially thought it would be heavily influenced on music, I also did not think it would be serious business, instead suspecting it would be just good ol' fun; Kind of like Eddie Van Halen, who's a dedicated guitarist but makes no excuse not to have fun playing the guitar...

It's because of the musical theme that I've made exceptions where I normally would not have watched the show had it not been for the music in the first place, kind of like a sales pitch that gets your main focus but also draws significant attention to another related or tie-in product...Sitting through it, I don't mind most of the gags; Keyword, most, since some some fall flat, but I still get a good chuckle out of most...It's light-hearted, it's funny, it's entertaining, and every now and then, it's got music; I don't have a serious reason to stick around, but dammit do I love doing it anyway...

Preconceptions about this being a by-product of KyoAni doesn't apply to me, since the only thing I've seen that came out of their factory was TMOSH (Figure that acronym out) and that was only because I happened to come across a box set of it for cheap and wanted to finally see what the hype was nearly 2 years after the initial earthquake, and even then, "KyoAni" still didn't exist to me until I started reading about people talking about them in the K-On! episode discussion threads...
I still stand by my words, although now in review, I might have been more inclined to say it was a rollercoaster series with it's own highs and lows with the fluctuations occurring even within the episodes itself...I came in without any real expectations, so I came out personally satisfied; Maybe it wasn't quite the Ozzfest of a series I thought it might have been, but at least it was a little Chow Wagon of sorts anyway...I definitely had more to personally enjoy here than I did with the Almighty Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and that says quite a bit about my opinion of K-On!, really, especially when it's seemingly contradicting everyone else's opinion...Some gags got me, other gags were lost on me, but the musical aspects always connected when it popped it's head up...The musical aspect definitely destroyed my preconceived perception about this just being another boring "slice of life" series, and while I still hold my reservations for other SOL (That...acronym doesn't really work, does it?) series, I let my bigotry go in sacrifice for something else...After all, if it weren't for the music, I wouldn't even be here in the first place; And I'm actually kind of glad I hung on...And while I may not want to admit it, even though it still wasn't a primary reason, somewhere down the totem pole, this show gave me a minor inspiration to pick up bass again...How's that for the connection between entertainment and real life?

I'll buy the box set when it comes out, definitely...And I'll stick around for season two on top of that, unfortunately by that time with expectations though...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-06-23, 09:33   Link #303
ShadowVlican

OOMMMMGGGG i can't believe it's only 12 eps!!!!! :f rustrated:

Old 2009-06-23, 10:39   Link #304
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Hmm I had no problem with the ending as far as storyline purposes were concerned. I just happen to like Mio's singing alot better than Yui's, so I wish there were more songs with her featured.

But oh well, they have like another year and a half to work with in the story (unttil they graduate im guessing) So I am guessing we will see another season down the road, maybe in a year or so.

I liked the series alot.

PS: Ui just turned awesome(from good) this episode after faking being Yui, onlyr to be busted because she turned out to be a better guitar player :P
Old 2009-06-23, 13:05   Link #305
wistfulloner

A simple ending, short, sweet, and to the point. Those saying it was a disappointment should understand that K-on! is no shakespear masterpiece, its just a huge bundle of fun disguised as a series about music. This episode was adequate to bring a fun series to a conclusion, with just enough moral inside to balance it all out.

As stated in some blog, love how it all came full circle for Yui in the end. I always found her to be a simple character, but elegant and easy to relate to.

Fun series, good episode.
Old 2009-06-23, 19:44   Link #306
zharth

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
It is a fact than Ui got the nickname wrong. Azunyan is the normal nickname, while Ui said something like Azusa nigou (which also happens to be a song btw)
When I heard that, I was beside myself, because I couldn't believe they were referencing a song that I had gone to painstaking lengths to research and locate many years ago, thanks to its inclusion in a single episode of Sailor Moon - when Yuuichirou (I believe his name is Chad in the English version), the guy that stays at Rei's shrine, gets caught up in a misunderstanding and almost leaves the shrine for good. It was in the third season, and I believe the episode number is 99. I had it on tape and listened to that song over and over until I could find out what it was and get a copy of it.

The mentioned scene, from the English version of Sailor Moon.

The song, in a live performance.

The titular "Azusa nigou" in the song refers to a train, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuskip View Post
"Azusa #2" is a famous song of Japan.
very good song
Aha, if it's famous, that would explain the reference. Still, it seemed quite the coincidence from my perspective.
Old 2009-06-23, 20:28   Link #307
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Wasn't there going to be an extra episode? At least the preview state that anyway?
Old 2009-06-23, 20:49   Link #308
Tragic
Stuck in Shitstorm
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Tragic
Yeah. There's a preview for it at the end of episode 12. Seems like it's going to a typical K-ON episode, nothing too special. Then again, every episode is special. xP
Old 2009-06-24, 03:11   Link #309
Ritsu
Keep your mind wide open!

Yep the special is going to be called "Winter Days" and it cames in June 26!
Old 2009-06-24, 05:31   Link #310
Friday
Im shy too...

one more to go......
Old 2009-06-24, 09:25   Link #311
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

I saw a little bit of chapter 26 on the manga from the episode 13 preview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowVlican View Post
OOMMMMGGGG i can't believe it's only 12 eps!!!!! :f rustrated:

Go check the preview at the end of episode 12
Old 2009-06-24, 09:45   Link #312
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

We're still also going to get an extra special DVD special as well, for those who can't get enough of their K-ON! fix.
Old 2009-06-24, 23:30   Link #313
VEE

Send a message via MSN to VEE
nice energetic and happy ending. Fine with me, this episode is lovely
Old 2009-06-25, 01:54   Link #314
mit2591
~someone bored~

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEE View Post
nice energetic and happy ending. Fine with me, this episode is lovely
yeah,specially the ending part.it was touching.And the final song they performed together reminds me to listen to it again and again.
Old 2009-06-25, 14:06   Link #315
Nerroth
NePoi!

I was kind of surprised how reluctant they seemed to be to ask Ui to jump in, or even prep herself as a potential stand-by, when they realised who she was, and that she was as good as she was.

Maybe she would have had to be registered with the club beforehand, or something?

Oh well.
Old 2009-06-25, 14:41   Link #316
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
I would imagine that would be to save face; Yui's face, that is...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-06-25, 19:07   Link #317
Akka

I found this episode to be pretty consistant with the serie.
Which means, sadly, quite average and somehow boring.

I always absolutely LOVED everything Kyoto Animation ever done, and I was often joking about how it was hard to find their "worst anime" because they were all awesome.
Well, at least they, alas, solved this "dilemma", because K-on takes easily the place. I was scratching my hair all time wondering where their usual genius had gone.

Hope it was their B-team on a low budget, and that the real talent is being spent on the second Haruhi season, because it certainly wasn't here :-/
Old 2009-06-25, 23:31   Link #318
VEE

Send a message via MSN to VEE
mit2591
Quote:
yeah,specially the ending part.it was touching.And the final song they performed together reminds me to listen to it again and again.
odd, but i do that as well.

Nerroth
Quote:
Maybe she would have had to be registered with the club beforehand, or something?

Oh well.
Ui would have join in the club if she was interested at the first place
Old 2009-06-28, 08:15   Link #319
The_TempesT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
I found this episode to be pretty consistant with the serie.
Which means, sadly, quite average and somehow boring.

I always absolutely LOVED everything Kyoto Animation ever done, and I was often joking about how it was hard to find their "worst anime" because they were all awesome.
Well, at least they, alas, solved this "dilemma", because K-on takes easily the place. I was scratching my hair all time wondering where their usual genius had gone.

Hope it was their B-team on a low budget, and that the real talent is being spent on the second Haruhi season, because it certainly wasn't here :-/
You obviously do not know how much success/popularity this series has gotten in Japan. It is hardly a let down.

I really loved this episode. I watched it probably 4 times (at least the last 1/3). I really hope they make another season (I'm sure they will). I will definitely look forward to it.
Old 2009-06-28, 09:47   Link #320
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I still maintain that it was too early for KyoAni to move in. Some of the later gags in the manga are really good.