AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-01-23, 06:24   Link #21
Mentar
Banned

I think I'll be going with "QB" from now on. Easy to remember. "Queer Bastard".
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 08:25   Link #22
supertonia

Kyubey had me very suspisious from the start when id din't knwo the the script writer was!
I also think homaru knows smth extra about him/her/it and that's the reaosn she tried to kill him/her/it.We were never told the reaosn from her, we only heard what mami thought.
Old 2011-01-23, 16:19   Link #23
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertonia View Post
Kyubey had me very suspisious from the start when id din't knwo the the script writer was!
I also think homaru knows smth extra about him/her/it and that's the reaosn she tried to kill him/her/it.We were never told the reaosn from her, we only heard what mami thought.
It's probably the thought that Kyuube is bringing more and more magical girls in this world where one's life is at risk. Homura (being sensitive as she is) wants to stop this from ever corresponding.
Old 2011-01-25, 17:15   Link #24
AquaMethod
キラボシ★

Send a message via AIM to AquaMethod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
It's probably the thought that Kyuube is bringing more and more magical girls in this world where one's life is at risk. Homura (being sensitive as she is) wants to stop this from ever corresponding.
Spoiler:
Old 2011-01-27, 18:33   Link #25
Dark Wing

As others have stated before I don't think the little vermin is actually down right evil or good but probably just a middle of sorts whose working for a higher power. Who or what that higher power is may not be reviled anytime soon and is anyones guess.

However one thing is certain that work (while questionable) is for the greater good after all someone needs to keep the "witches" who without a doubt appear to be a force of evil in check. Who knows what kind of havoc may engulf the world if not.
Old 2011-01-27, 22:11   Link #26
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I can't6 help but think he has some hidden true form >.> Creepy little bastard...
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 22:26   Link #27
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
I can't6 help but think he has some hidden true form >.> Creepy little bastard...
I will have to agree with you on that comment I mean that face with almost no expression is just...weird.
Old 2011-01-30, 22:45   Link #28
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

While I think that it would be awesome if Kyubey was revealed to be the evil monster behind everything and Satan's pet cat to boot, I think it's more likely that he's just taking advantage of the existing system to fulfill his own agenda. He would either fall under a lawful neutral or lawful evil alignment.

I think it's safe to assume that Kyubey doesn't care a bit for the girls he employs. I find it striking how he usually gives them a choice though. Yes, he deliberately chooses girls in uncompromising situations but he still lets them choose. For Mami's situation, Kyubey knew she was going to die without his help and turned her without her consent. Not a nice or noble reason for an exception, but surely a pragmatic one. Besides, if Mami really wanted to die, she would have blasted her lights out minutes after becoming a magical girl, but she decided to take advantage of her new life.

So what is Kyubey's agenda?

Maybe he wants to save billions of people in the world from witches, even if it means throwing a few hundred or thousand young girls into a cycle death and despair. He would sacrifice the lives of some people for the greater good. That would make him a particularly cruel variant of a rule utilitarianist.

Or maybe he's just doing this for the kicks, and arranging a set of rules just to play a personal game with himself. It's no deep or profound reason, but it would probably be the best and most satisfying direction for me, since I'd personally love to see this show collapse into hell.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 23:18   Link #29
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I can't see him as evil yet. A little creepy, but that's mainly from the visual Uncanny Valley aspect. So far, there are perfectly valid explanations for everything. That could be his plan, or it could be just the way things are, and the writers are tossing in the creepiness just to fuck with us.

At worst, he comes across as the neutral utilitarian, devoid of feelings. Perhaps he was designed that way, as something like a robot, since someone with feelings would probably fall into despair over the girls that die over the years. In that light, his attitude makes perfect sense.

The only questionable scene that comes up from people is him appearing outside Sayaka;s window, but at that time, Sayaka clearly was ready to make her wish. She wasn't surprised to see Kyube at all; in fact, her face was rather firm. So was he taking deliberately tempting her? Or just appearing because Sayaka wanted him to? I'd have to say the latter.

Of course, if one were convinced he was evil, then everything would be colored by that preconceived notion, heh.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 12:59   Link #30
Spinell

If have got the idea that Kyuube (and maybe existing others of his kind?) might creating both, Puella Magi and witches. He said himself that the wish has an impact on the powers.He also said that he can't make suggestions for wishes.
So if someone wishes bastard X should die/suffer -> evil wish (even if it is just) -> that's a curse -> witch. He can't suggest "wait, wait, why don't you wish to be rich, buy an anvil and throw it on the bastard with your new magic powers. Plus, you don't become a wartface".
He might be a pretty shafted character or indifferent. Ah well future episodes will show.
Spinell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 15:05   Link #31
Tenjo_Utena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinell View Post
If have got the idea that Kyuube (and maybe existing others of his kind?) might creating both, Puella Magi and witches. He said himself that the wish has an impact on the powers.He also said that he can't make suggestions for wishes.

So if someone wishes bastard X should die/suffer -> evil wish (even if it is just) -> that's a curse -> witch.
The one thing that came to mind when I read this is that when he makes his first offer to Sayaka and Madoka at the end of episode one, he says make a contract with me and become a Magical Girl - not make a wish and we'll see what happens. Making a wish isn't even mentioned in the first episode (if you discount the preview for the next episode).

It will be interesting to see exactly how witches come into existence.
Tenjo_Utena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 10:27   Link #32
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenjo_Utena View Post
The one thing that came to mind when I read this is that when he makes his first offer to Sayaka and Madoka at the end of episode one, he says make a contract with me and become a Magical Girl - not make a wish and we'll see what happens. Making a wish isn't even mentioned in the first episode (if you discount the preview for the next episode).

It will be interesting to see exactly how witches come into existence.
Hou ! I liked that. Did you meant that a wish could create both a MG and a witch at the same time ?
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 21:28   Link #33
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

After much digging, Kyuube's sinister true identity is revealed:

Spoiler for MAJOR Spoiler - view at your own risk!:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 18:09   Link #34
fukarming

Is Kyubei evil?

Besides his appearance, which look extremely suspicious, the main argument that Kyubei is evil lie on he does not explain the risk of mahou shoujo. However, I don't recall any well known magical mascot explain in length about the risk of mahou shoujo in any well known MG anime

Luna (Sailormoon), Yuno (Nanoha), Mepple/ Mipple (pretty cure)

All their respective MG will die if they lose in a battle (unlike those who use magic for a singing career (creamy mami/ fancy lala). None of them warned that they will die if they lose.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 18:41   Link #35
Seihai
スマイリウム

I wonder how Yuuki Aoi would change her imagination about Kyubei if he turned out to be a scheming jackass.
Old 2011-02-04, 18:50   Link #36
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
Is Kyubei evil?

Besides his appearance, which look extremely suspicious, the main argument that Kyubei is evil lie on he does not explain the risk of mahou shoujo. However, I don't recall any well known magical mascot explain in length about the risk of mahou shoujo in any well known MG anime
There is also the fact Kyuubey goes to length to manipulate the girls into becoming MG.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 19:07   Link #37
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
Is Kyubei evil?

Luna (Sailormoon), Yuno (Nanoha), Mepple/ Mipple (pretty cure)

All their respective MG will die if they lose in a battle (unlike those who use magic for a singing career (creamy mami/ fancy lala). None of them warned that they will die if they lose.
It's an interesting point, because we don't consider those other magical animals to be evil. And in some cases, those magical animas were really forcing or begging the girls to become magical girls. So yeah, Luna, Keroberos, Yuuno, Mepple/Mipple... all vicious evil bastards, if you want to believe Kyube is.

Hell, Kyube is the first magical creature to give the heroine a choice. I believe someone else here mentioned that Madoka is the first heroine to have that choice as to whether to step up.

Yeah, sure, he may remind her at times of his offer, but he'll state that they should think carefully, and leave them alone if they change their minds. Madoka keeps throwing herself into it, though. He's up front and honest about why he wants her (high magical potential), so it's not a secret.

So yeah, given some of the other magical animals we know, Kyube is a damn saint. Why do we give Luna a pass, and not Kyube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
There is also the fact Kyuubey goes to length to manipulate the girls into becoming MG.
Citation?
Old 2011-02-04, 19:19   Link #38
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post

Citation?
Goes at length to say he gave up, but continue to watch sayaka and appears in her moment of weakness, makes a one-way conversation with madoka to tell her she can always make a wish if sayaka is in danger, adding that it's better if sayaka doesn't know as she won't approve.

Telling Ryoko about Sayaka, but not Sayaka about Ryoko, and set up the fights between the two in order to involve Madoka...
Old 2011-02-04, 19:29   Link #39
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
Goes at length to say he gave up, but continue to watch sayaka and appears in her moment of weakness, makes a one-way conversation with madoka to tell her she can always make a wish if sayaka is in danger, adding that it's better if sayaka doesn't know as she won't approve.

Telling Ryoko about Sayaka, but not Sayaka about Ryoko, and set up the fights between the two in order to involve Madoka...
He didn't tell Ryoko about Sayaka specifically; at least, we don't know that. He just told her he made a contract with a new girl. For all we know, Kyoko figured it out on her own (MG's can follow Kyube and see what MG's he goes to, after all).

And the rest falls more under the heading of "taking advantage of a situation" rather than actual "manipulation." That latter term implies he set things up, when we have no reason to believe he did. Sayaka made the choice, Sayaka went on patrol, and Madoka chose to go with her.

I'll grant some about Kyube not telling Sayaka, but it was inevitable either way, and telling wouldn't have done much. Given how easily Kyube can be beat up, and how powerless he is to stop things, I'm not too surprised.

So, even if you think he's evil, the worst you can say about him is that he takes some minor advantage of situations to remind people of what he can do.

It's like me being a traveling TV salesman. I come around to your neighborhood, and tell you I need to sell a number of TVs in this area, and you look rich enough to afford them. A satisfied customer of mine tells you all about them, the good and bad, and tells you to think carefully. You refuse, and I say, "Alright, I'll be around here for awhile longer if you change your mind!" You may occasionally walk on buy, and I'll yell out, "I still have a few on sale if you're interested, but if you don't really want one, then don't buy, okay? Only people who really want TVs should buy them!"

Later, you accidentally break your TV; I had nothing to do with it. When I see you next, and give my standard honest speech of "Interested in a TV? I'd like to sell one, only if you really need one."

Man, talk about an evil guy! You keep putting yourself in these situations, and I am always up front and honest with you...
Old 2011-02-04, 19:38   Link #40
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post

It's like me being a traveling TV salesman. I come around to your neighborhood, and tell you I need to sell a number of TVs in this area, and you look rich enough to afford them. A satisfied customer of mine tells you all about them, the good and bad, and tells you to think carefully. You refuse, and I say, "Alright, I'll be around here for awhile longer if you change your mind!" You may occasionally walk on buy, and I'll yell out, "I still have a few on sale if you're interested, but if you don't really want one, then don't buy, okay? Only people who really want TVs should buy them!"
Sure, let's compare selling TV and forcing girls to fight a war for the rest of their lives with nor respite no retirement.

The fact is, Kyuubey make sure to tempt the girls again and again, and follow them to check if they weaken. He *also* set things up where they'd be weak.

For example, Kyubey can find MG and potential MG, so he knew where kyoko was. He knew what was coming. That is was 'inevitable' is bulshit, preparing sayaka for it would mean she wouldn't have freaked out about it, and might have dealt with it in a less frantic manner.

Also, madoka wouldn't have been there to make a wish.

Tags
characters