AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-10, 19:19   Link #3241
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Okay, so going back through the two chapters listed in that wiki entry, yes, it was the superintendent, but it seems that there aren't any citations to confirm it with.
Old 2011-07-10, 21:23   Link #3242
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Where did the Japanese wiki get it from?
If it's the name you're referring to that would be on the bottom of this page. Don't trust the scanlation as they omitted that piece of info.

Here is the original raw from Chapter 4 of the StrikerS Manga (which the Japanese Wiki actually cites). Just look on the bottom right info box:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/084gl.jpg/

ファーン.コラード

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2011-07-11, 04:06   Link #3243
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Is there any alternate translation for Ground Armaments Service? GAS isn't exactly a pleasant-sounding abbreviation to use...

Last edited by Tiresias; 2011-07-11 at 05:21.
Old 2011-07-11, 05:30   Link #3244
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Is there any alternate translation for Ground Armaments Service? GAS isn't exactly a pleasant-sounding abbreviation to use...
Well the translation comes from this set of Kanji: 陸上警備隊

It's literally "Land Security Force" (You could always replace the "Land" with Ground to make it sound better.)

Here's what they are broken down:

陸上 - rikujou: land; ground; shore

警備 - keibi: defense; defence; guard; policing; security

隊 - tai party; company; body (of troops); corps

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2011-07-11, 05:37   Link #3245
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Thank you very much. While we're at it, what about the Air Armaments Service? Might as well give it the same treatment
Old 2011-07-11, 05:46   Link #3246
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Thank you very much. While we're at it, what about the Air Armaments Service? Might as well give it the same treatment

Here's the original for that one: 航空武装隊

You can keep the first two and just change "service" into Corps

Air Armaments Corps or Air Armed Corps

航空 - koukuu: aviation; flying 航空 noun
武装 - busou: arms; armament; armed
隊 - tai: party; company; body (of troops); corps

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2011-07-11, 08:05   Link #3247
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Thank you.

Was Sankt Kaiser a title for all Belkan rulers, or was it actually simply Kaiser with the "Sankt" part reserved for only one person due to her deeds/conducts/teachings/something?

And I think this had been asked before, but is it actually "Administrated" or "Administered" World?

Last edited by Tiresias; 2011-07-11 at 09:59.
Old 2011-07-11, 10:14   Link #3248
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Quote:
I'd just call them Ground Forces and Air Force, respectively...

Quote:
Was Sankt Kaiser a title for all Belkan rulers, or was it actually simply Kaiser with the "Sankt" part reserved for only one person due to her deeds/conducts/teachings/something?
The war that the Belkans waged until Olivie's death was called "Saint King Unification War" (聖王統一戦争), and it is unlikely to have been named after the messianic Olivie. Also, the SSX booklet keeps referring to the Belkan rulers as "Saint King bloodline" all the way back in history (though it may be retroactively applying the term, as in "Saint King Olivie's ancestors"). Refer to translation here.

However, I also saw the term "Heiliger Kaiser" on the Japanese wiki, so it may be the subtle distinction: "Sankt Kaiser" means regular Saint King, whereas "Heiliger Kaiser" (Holy King) refers to Olivie in particular. The kanjis are the same, however.

Quote:
And I think this had been asked before, but is it actually "Administrated" or "Administered" World?
You mean the official English spelling? I wouldn't know, but it's called "管理世界" in Japanese. The closest translation would be "managed world", in a way a big corporation manages its subsidiaries. But I guess the first translators wanted to have "administration" in it somewhere to go with the Bureau's full name, and it stuck.
Old 2011-07-11, 13:20   Link #3249
JINNSK
黒猫のウィズやってます

Quote:
Quote:
AAS is very different from GAS.

GAS belongs ground force.Each administrated world has 1 bureau at its capital.1 bureau has 1 ground force and 1 air force.There are about 35 administrated worlds when it is Precia incident so there are 35 GASs in the universe.

AAS belongs main bureau.Main beurau has AAS and Navy.There is just 1 main bureau in the universe so AAS is unique in the universe and the elite squad.
Old 2011-07-11, 13:22   Link #3250
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Wait, we know how many administrated worlds there are?
Old 2011-07-11, 13:28   Link #3251
JINNSK
黒猫のウィズやってます

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Wait, we know how many administrated worlds there are?
According to the MOVIE pamphlet,there are 35 administrated worlds and 150 non-administrated worlds.
Old 2011-07-11, 13:28   Link #3252
NTFTH

There are at least 61 administered worlds according to the Nanoha Wiki.
Old 2011-07-11, 13:28   Link #3253
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
http://nanoha.wikia.com/wiki/Property:World_status pretty much

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-07-11, 13:53   Link #3254
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by JINNSK View Post
GAS belongs ground force.Each administrated world has 1 bureau at its capital.1 bureau has 1 ground force and 1 air force.There are about 35 administrated worlds when it is Precia incident so there are 35 GASs in the universe.

AAS belongs main bureau.Main beurau has AAS and Navy.There is just 1 main bureau in the universe so AAS is unique in the universe and the elite squad.
And that info is where, exactly, from? I have arrived to similar conclusions after hours of deciphering the Japanese wiki, but nothing seemed to state the above outright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTFTH View Post
Yeah, but not all of them have been listed. It may be that the missing 26 were "downgraded" from administrated to non-administrated since their discovery. Since Mid is number 1, I get the feeling that the indices only show when a world first applied for the Bureau's supervision, making Supools the most recent (known) club member.
Old 2011-07-11, 13:56   Link #3255
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
And that info is where, exactly, from? I have arrived to similar conclusions after hours of deciphering the Japanese wiki, but nothing seemed to state the above outright.

Yeah, but not all of them have been listed. It may be that the missing 26 were "downgraded" from administrated to non-administrated since their discovery. Since Mid is number 1, I get the feeling that the indices only show when a world first applied for the Bureau's supervision, making Supools the most recent (known) club member.
Alternatively...

...Do any worlds share a number but not status (i.e., is there an Administered World 1 AND an Unadministered World 1)?

That would explain the numbers bit.
Old 2011-07-11, 14:01   Link #3256
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
...Do any worlds share a number but not status (i.e., is there an Administered World 1 AND an Unadministered World 1)?
Yes and no. Alzas is administrated world number 6, Tre and Quattro are imprisoned over an uninhabited world number 6 since StrikerS. However, there has not yet been a known instance of administrated and non-administrated worlds sharing a number, so it may be they share their index, while uninhabited ones have their own.
Old 2011-07-11, 14:19   Link #3257
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTFTH View Post

I wouldn't trust the english wikia so much. I've noticed a lot of discrepancies in a few things....one that has me irked is how they manage to screw up listing a few people's genders.

(The Japanese wiki is more accurate obviously but it only helpful if you able to read it)

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2011-07-11, 14:21   Link #3258
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

For something that's claimed to be more accurate, I see a startling lack of citations for reference in the japanese wiki.
Old 2011-07-11, 14:26   Link #3259
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
For something that's claimed to be more accurate, I see a startling lack of citations for reference in the japanese wiki.
Really? I've seen quite a few citations...heck they even site (director/screenwriter) quotes from various magazines, pamphlets etc. And they've been pretty good at listing the chapter and particular manga for specific info. Unless you're referring to another site? Or are you just looking in the wrong place?

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2011-07-11, 14:42   Link #3260
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Either I'm just lucky at finding the ones that lack the citations, or they use a citation system that's alien to my eyes and I'm just not seeing it.