Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-10-18, 14:34   Link #301
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
There were several thousand people waiting for in on the Ubuntu forums from last night till now. The were hammering it, and each time I went back to it, it had grown a few pages
Hahaha, I was actually up until 2 AM here (now it's 4:30 PM) in a local IRC "release party", while waiting for the damn thing to appear... The upgrade only appeared at 5 or so AM, I guess.

Actually, I must be contending with lots of Argentine people, since (supposedly) my sources point to a local Ubuntu repository. I don't know if this still counts when it's a distro upgrade, though.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 15:11   Link #302
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I know that Ubuntu allows you to do a system upgrade from within the OS itself, but what about OpenSUSE? I tried some of the update options and it only gave me some updated 10.2 packages, nothing for a 10.3 upgrade. I'm a bit low on DVDs which is why I'm loathe to download the ISO and burn away.

Also, the updater seems to be able to find the packages now - I presume the issue I mentioned before was due to an outage of a major repository. However, when I last tried to use it, it kept failing the install because it'd say that another instance of the updater was open - sure enough, it was. It seems to keep opening another updater during the process, resulting in the fail... perhaps it'll be better after it's rebooted.
Old 2007-10-18, 17:37   Link #303
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Actually, I must be contending with lots of Argentine people, since (supposedly) my sources point to a local Ubuntu repository. I don't know if this still counts when it's a distro upgrade, though.
I often use sites in Japan for Linux downloads since we're about 12 hours apart. Sites like ftp.riken.jp and ftp.jaist.ac.jp have 1-2 gigabit backbones and aren't busy when we in the Western Hemisphere are up and about. I'm in GMT-5 which must be within an hour or two of WK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon
Any suggestions on an FTP client for Ubuntu please?
I like the command-line client ncftp, and its offspring ncftpget and ncftpput. "ncftpget -r ftp://ftp.somewhere/somedir/*" gets everything from that root recursively. You can run it in the background and forget it's doing its thing.

If I just want to get a few items, I use Firefox.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 18:36   Link #304
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Apart from some great additions such as AppArmor and full ntfs support, the feature my laptop is look most forward to is full disk encryption from the installer. Something I believe that OpenSuSE, Mandriva and Fedora don't yet support.
Since I saw you asking around for this in other threads as well, I figured that this news might be of interest to you: Seagate to add encryption to all corporate-level drives.
Old 2007-10-18, 18:45   Link #305
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Any suggestions on an FTP client for Ubuntu please?
lftp (commandline) is the best.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 19:08   Link #306
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

@Ledgem - I believe you have to go into the installer (network one is the lightest) and select update from there. I am don't really like updating and prefer a fresh install so can't really help u there.

I like the article about encryption on drive level, as it should move the overhead away from the CPU, but I wonder how does it deal with multiple passwords? With dm-crypt and LUKS I can set 5 passwords so in terms of work I would create all user drives with a default password using a key first. Ofc if they don't like it they can remove it, but I'll make sure that they see that they are on their own if that happens.

@SeijiSensei & TheFluff - Thanks for the suggestions. I have to admit that I mostly FF it or use scp, but I do need to get something to cover my ftp needs so these suggestions are great. I'll give them a bash to see which I like.

Thoughts on Ubuntu....

Well in the past I've always pegged Ubuntu for my desktop of choice and OpenSuSE for my server needs. OpenSuSE was more of a legacy choice as I have much experience in SuSE and Novell products, so I feel comfortable having all my data on it.

But looking at my home server. I've noticed that I've got gnome loaded more and more as I'm pottering around in vmware lots. Basically is there any need for me to run two different Linux flavours at home? I already have to be careful with the user groups as Ubuntu follows Red Hats* user name primary groups and SuSE goes for a default of User.

For my server I run vmware, samba and amp, which Ubuntu can provide. On the security side I see that they have in their repos bastille, tripwire and psad which are some of my favourite security apps. Firewalling on a sever I tend to use a anal script so that is no issue. I seriously am considering moving across fully to Ubuntu at home, but I'll wait a few weeks to let new toy syndrome wear off.

*I believe it was Red Hat who started the trend in the Linux world, but I could be oh so wrong

Last edited by grey_moon; 2007-10-18 at 19:21.
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 03:36   Link #307
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

I just woke up in the middle of the night, and I knew I had to check upon my finished Gutsy upgrade before going back to bed...

I have to say, it feels awesome. GNOME 2.20 got so many things right. Compiz finally works correctly and a lot smoother. A couple of things have been tweaked here and there, and most of them look and feel so nice.

There's only one thing I'm fighting with right now, and that is the Compiz-Fusion manager. It doesn't seem to want to start for some reason. This is the error message I get:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/ccsm", line 45, in <module>
    idle = ccm.IdleSettingsParser(context)
  File "usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ccm/Utils.py", line 229, in __init__
  File "usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ccm/Utils.py", line 228, in <lambda>
  File "usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ccm/Utils.py", line 225, in FilterPlugin
AttributeError: 'compizconfig.Plugin' object has no attribute 'Initialized'
...but I'm sure there's some minor issue somewhere and I'll solve it when I finally get some sleep

Old 2007-10-19, 04:04   Link #308
Syaoran
Inactive Member

# compiz --replace ccp
# fusion-icon --gtk

But that's only when you use AIGLX or nVidia native.

( Downloading Ubuntu 7.10 by torrent atm \(^ ^)/ )
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 07:28   Link #309
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
# compiz --replace ccp
# fusion-icon --gtk
Compiz works, alright, and I'm with an Nvidia card with the official drivers, but I get a "command not found" with the second command. It might be worth mentioning that I had already installed the CompizConfig manager before the upgrade, but I used Beryl since Compiz was terribly slow (I had to reboot if I turned it on, it ran awfully sluggish).

Here in Argentina, the Ubuntu Local Community Team held a Gutsy release party at a bar last night. We took lots of pics, I'll upload them when they're ready

Old 2007-10-19, 09:04   Link #310
grey_moon

Quote:
Compiz works, alright, and I'm with an Nvidia card with the official drivers, but I get a "command not found" with the second command. It might be worth mentioning that I had already installed the CompizConfig manager before the upgrade, but I used Beryl since Compiz was terribly slow (I had to reboot if I turned it on, it ran awfully sluggish).

Here in Argentina, the Ubuntu Local Community Team held a Gutsy release party at a bar last night. We took lots of pics, I'll upload them when they're ready
Here in HK I was stuck troubleshooting an auth issue in the UK and found that LDAP had been disabled on one of the primary directory servers . I wish I was with you at the party instead.

BTW what is it like at a release party I know when I go on a Linux expo or a course, the pub conversion starts out very very geeky.
Old 2007-10-19, 09:32   Link #311
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

I solved the CompizConfig issue. Seems it was missing a few libraries, since I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and apt downloaded 500k worth of new data. Now it works like a charm I must say I'm impressed with the progress they made in terms of stability and performance.

Quote:
BTW what is it like at a release party I know when I go on a Linux expo or a course, the pub conversion starts out very very geeky.
It WAS geeky, but it was also a lot of fun. Lots of beer and chips and nachos, lots of talk about lots of topics (Linux is not the only thing on our minds ), nice guys... It was really really fun.

Old 2007-10-19, 09:57   Link #312
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
nice guys... It was really really fun.
Any women in that crowd of Linux lovers?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 10:12   Link #313
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
After 10 pints of Stella anything moving looks like a woman
Old 2007-10-19, 10:14   Link #314
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Surprisingly enough, there was! (though only one ). There are a couple of women in the mailing list and the forums, though, but they're not from our city so they couldn't come to the party.

Okay, pictures time!

Spoiler:

That's basically an overview of all of us. Guess who I am (hint: my age).

There are more pictures here, including some of the mysterious female human being present with us there

Old 2007-10-20, 18:54   Link #315
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Guess who I am .
The guy on lower left corner of the pic?

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 19:14   Link #316
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
The guy on lower left corner of the pic?
I said look at my age, dammit! (Under my avatar ). The position is close though.

Old 2007-10-20, 20:29   Link #317
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
I said look at my age, dammit! (Under my avatar ). The position is close though.
I thought it was a trick question /pif ... So the position is close, hmmm... *scanning in progress*. I know! It's a trick question again, the guy with white shirt and blue stripe on his shoulder with his backward.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 01:44   Link #318
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I thought it was a trick question /pif ... So the position is close, hmmm... *scanning in progress*. I know! It's a trick question again, the guy with white shirt and blue stripe on his shoulder with his backward.
Wrong!

Don't you notice the youngest guy there? Come on, it's not that difficult. I even have an anime-related T-shirt, though it's not very visible.

Old 2007-10-21, 03:30   Link #319
grey_moon

You're the person taking the picture!
Old 2007-10-21, 08:33   Link #320
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

I want to know what the bald guy is drinking. That's a funky shade of amber for a beer
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, ubuntu