AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Old 2007-07-30, 13:35   Link #121
nanafan
horo fan

i got a dumb question is kanon 2006 the same as the older version?
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 14:45   Link #122
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafan View Post
i got a dumb question is kanon 2006 the same as the older version?
I'll give you my answer in a bit, but I want to qualify it a bit first.

There are many similarities:
  • Series name
  • Core story
  • Cast (to a very large degree)
  • Seiyuu (again, to a very large degree)

And then, there are a number of differences:
  • Episode count (Toei's thirteen-plus-one-OVA versus Kyoto's twenty-four)
  • Animation style
  • Style, use and choice of music
  • Story adaptation

No doubt, there are more similarities and differences.

I guess it boils down to what you want out of either series. I personally recommend watching both, but if you'd rather watch one or the other, here're my recommendations for what they're worth:

If you'd rather have something short and does a decent job of telling the core story and don't mind the animation and music styles or many liberties taken for the sake of time, then watch the Toei adaptation.

If you'd rather have a more thorough retelling of the story which tries to be faithful to the original--even with a small number of liberties taken--and don't mind watching a longer series for its sake, then the Kyoto Animation adaptation's for you.

For my part, I watched and liked both (and fansubbed the latter-day one) and I feel they really can't be directly compared to each other, like AIR TV v. AIR 35mm can't be compared since they're (Kanon == somewhat, AIR == drastically) different adaptations of the same core story. No doubt that the CLANNAD TV v. CLANNAD 35mm situation will be not that much different than prior go-arounds with the other Visual Art's/Key properties.

With all that said, if I were to answer that question definitively, based solely upon storytelling differences, I'd answer "No, they are not the same."

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 18:09   Link #123
nanafan
horo fan

oh i see thanks. i was thinking that since they had the same name and it was described as a remake so i thought they would be the same.
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-05, 21:17   Link #124
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Are both versions of Makoto Sawatari (within Kanon 2006) voiced by the same person? A check on ANN revealed no info on the VA of the "actual" Makoto Sawatari.
Old 2007-08-06, 00:16   Link #125
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HashiriyaGDB View Post
Are both versions of Makoto Sawatari (within Kanon 2006) voiced by the same person? A check on ANN revealed no info on the VA of the "actual" Makoto Sawatari.
Yes, I believe so. Episode 23's credits lists Mayumi Iizuka as her seiyuu.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 21:27   Link #126
X207
Gamyūsa

within the past 3 days i started kanon 02 then 03. im at 16 of the 2006 series. i know this has been asked b4 but what exactly are mai's powers??

btw dont u ppl find that mai looks like a mix of suzumiya haruhi and konata when her hair is not tied up?
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 20:07   Link #127
ApostleOfGod
^.^

So confused..

I've just finished Kanon 2006, and it still bugs me because I havn't watched the 2002 version, and the entire story fell apart for me at the end, which just completely threw me off track.. But anyways, could someone please answer these questions which I have??

1. In episode 22 or 23, that Makoto girl appears again, and apparently this time it's an older woman... In the fansub version I watched, his thoughts said "Makoto's older sister"... Wasn't Makoto a fox? And wasn't the fox simply named after Makoto, the girl who Yuuichi admired at a young age? And didn't she disappear after her miracle time was up?

2. What happened at the ending... He (Yuuichi) talks about how it was all an illusion after he goes looking for Ayu at the scene of the accident once Mai instructs him to do so, and he finds the headband. Then all these flashbacks of different occasions where he gives the headband appears. But then if the headband is wrapped in the paper still, that means exactly what he thought, which is simply that he never gave it to her. Then how come she was wearing it all this time....

3. If the answer to the previous question had anything to do with his illusions, then how did he and everyone in the family (Akiko, Makoto, Nayuki, etc.) see her around?? It's soo confusing because the simple fact that he didn't give Ayu the headband in the first place proves that the whole series up to that moment = not true, or a big giant illusion, because she was wearing it everytime she saw him, and she even said that she recieved it from a special person, when the two were talking on the balcony..

Someone help me out, sorry if you think I'm stupid for thinking this way.

Thanks in advance,
A.K.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 02:33   Link #128
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
I've just finished Kanon 2006, and it still bugs me because I havn't watched the 2002 version, and the entire story fell apart for me at the end, which just completely threw me off track.. But anyways, could someone please answer these questions which I have??

1. In episode 22 or 23, that Makoto girl appears again, and apparently this time it's an older woman... In the fansub version I watched, his thoughts said "Makoto's older sister"... Wasn't Makoto a fox? And wasn't the fox simply named after Makoto, the girl who Yuuichi admired at a young age? And didn't she disappear after her miracle time was up?

2. What happened at the ending... He (Yuuichi) talks about how it was all an illusion after he goes looking for Ayu at the scene of the accident once Mai instructs him to do so, and he finds the headband. Then all these flashbacks of different occasions where he gives the headband appears. But then if the headband is wrapped in the paper still, that means exactly what he thought, which is simply that he never gave it to her. Then how come she was wearing it all this time....

3. If the answer to the previous question had anything to do with his illusions, then how did he and everyone in the family (Akiko, Makoto, Nayuki, etc.) see her around?? It's soo confusing because the simple fact that he didn't give Ayu the headband in the first place proves that the whole series up to that moment = not true, or a big giant illusion, because she was wearing it everytime she saw him, and she even said that she recieved it from a special person, when the two were talking on the balcony..

Someone help me out, sorry if you think I'm stupid for thinking this way.

Thanks in advance,
A.K.
The 2nd two questions take too long to explain so i'll just explain the first one right now

The Makoto who appeared in 22 and 23 is the REAL Makoto whom Yuiichi admired in his childhood. The fox Makoto just heard about that name during the times she spent with Yuiichi in the past and thus took Makoto as her own name later on.
Old 2007-09-05, 15:43   Link #129
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Climbers View Post
The 2nd two questions take too long to explain so i'll just explain the first one right now

The Makoto who appeared in 22 and 23 is the REAL Makoto whom Yuiichi admired in his childhood. The fox Makoto just heard about that name during the times she spent with Yuiichi in the past and thus took Makoto as her own name later on.
Thank you very much.

That clears up #1. for me. But then another question arises regarding Makoto now...
Remember Amano? That girl who knew about Makoto before Yuuichi realized. How does she know the fox? I never saw her on any flashback. Moreover, she seemed emotionally hurt as she was asking Yuuichi to not involve her into the situation any furthur. Also, Amano talked as she lost a friend, who was Makoto. So where does Amano fit in with all this? And how does she know about the miracle performed, about Makoto's past, and how to temporarily bring back Makoto's memory of Yuuichi's name?

Old 2007-09-05, 16:01   Link #130
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
That clears up #1. for me. But then another question arises regarding Makoto now...
Remember Amano? That girl who knew about Makoto before Yuuichi realized. How does she know the fox? I never saw her on any flashback. Moreover, she seemed emotionally hurt as she was asking Yuuichi to not involve her into the situation any furthur. Also, Amano talked as she lost a friend, who was Makoto. So where does Amano fit in with all this? And how does she know about the miracle performed, about Makoto's past, and how to temporarily bring back Makoto's memory of Yuuichi's name?
Spoiler for Mishio's friend:
Old 2007-09-05, 19:18   Link #131
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Spoiler for Mishio's friend:
Ahh. Thanks.

Still hoping someone can explain my other two questions.. It can't be that hard... It's just really confusing for me..

Old 2007-09-05, 20:24   Link #132
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:

The simple answer is, basically, magic. Ayu's been in a coma all this time, but was able to appear in the real world. Consider it a projection or something; unlike an illusion, everyone could see her as if she were real. Ayu's projection wasn't aware of the accident (and Yuuichi didn't remember either), so she appeared as if the accident never happened, which is why she had the hairband (if the accident hadn't occurred, she would have had it). However, as Yuuichi's memory returns and the truth of what really happened becomes clearer, Ayu realizes that she's been dreaming all this time (i.e. she's not real), and disappears.

That's like the 30-second summary version, but should help with the questions you asked.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 21:44   Link #133
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The simple answer is, basically, magic. Ayu's been in a coma all this time, but was able to appear in the real world. Consider it a projection or something; unlike an illusion, everyone could see her as if she were real. Ayu's projection wasn't aware of the accident (and Yuuichi didn't remember either), so she appeared as if the accident never happened, which is why she had the hairband (if the accident hadn't occurred, she would have had it). However, as Yuuichi's memory returns and the truth of what really happened becomes clearer, Ayu realizes that she's been dreaming all this time (i.e. she's not real), and disappears.

That's like the 30-second summary version, but should help with the questions you asked.
Perfect. Arigato gozimas :P

Yeah I was really confused because he was talking of illusions but everyone was able to see her, and the headband only contributed to the confusion which I was dealing with. Thanks once again.

Old 2007-10-23, 02:31   Link #134
whitewater_81
...sigh...

Send a message via MSN to whitewater_81 Send a message via Yahoo to whitewater_81
Okay,I've been wundrin.Isn't having a "love-love" relationship between Nayuki and Yuuichi not allowed??Since ya know, Nayuki is Yuuichi's cousin.But still,why is there a confession of love from her??Also,most people, before the ending, was really hoping that Nayuki and Yuuichi would end up together....WTF??!I just don't understand,please somebody clear it for me.Thanks..
Old 2007-10-23, 02:47   Link #135
fireshark
CRF Believer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to fireshark
Because, in Japan, such a thing is not frowned upon.
fireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 03:00   Link #136
kimchipride
Geass User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshark View Post
Because, in Japan, such a thing is not frowned upon.
Is it really? Is there proof to back this statement up? I don't know Japanese culture well enough to know that this isn't a true statement, but I hope I'm right...
kimchipride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 03:46   Link #137
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I've heard enough anecdotal evidence to understand that in Japan it is rather uncommon for first cousins to marry, but it isn't really disturbing to anyone. In case you want some proof that first cousins can marry here's a clarifying post along with a link to Japanese legal code:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...6&postcount=93

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 08:21   Link #138
Takuto19
Yarrrr

So how many episode are going to be on the first Volume that comes out in January? Anybody know yet?
Old 2007-11-14, 09:31   Link #139
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takuto19 View Post
So how many episode are going to be on the first Volume that comes out in January? Anybody know yet?
From ADV Films.com:
Quote:
KANON VOLUME ONE

“A Beautiful Romance Everyone Can Enjoy.” – Anime World

ADV Films is pleased to bring you the first volume in Kanon, the highly-anticipated new series from the creators of Air TV. Kanon Volume 1 goes on sale January 1, 2008.

Fans have been looking forward to Kanon since it first aired on Japanese television in 2006. Some describe it as a romantic comedy with a lot of drama; others call it a romance with plenty of comedy. Animated by Kyoto Animation (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya),just goes to show that the five overlapping narratives that come together in Kanon offer something for everyone.

Synopsis: Yuichi Aizawa used to visit his cousin Nayuki all the time when he was younger, but now he can hardly remember a thing about those visits. And upon his return to finish his senior year in high school while living with his Aunt Akiko and his cousin, the blank spots in his memory have become more and more worrisome. After a seven year absence, Yuichi makes a valiant effort to adjust to his vaguely familiar surroundings. Bits and pieces of his past come back to him, but his memories elude him still. Why can't he remember? What is he blocking out? From the same animation studio that brought you AIR TV, a poignant concerto of tears, laughter and pinky promises make up a mystical world in Kanon.

Kanon Volume One (SRP $29.98 DVD) is a DVD-only anamorphic release including the first four episodes, presented in both English and Japanese with English subtitles. Video extras include an inside look at the making of Kanon, plus clean opening animation, clean closing animation and previews of upcoming ADV Films releases.

DVD Product Details

Volume: 1 (of 6)
Running Time: 100 minutes
Age Rating: TV PG
CAT: DKN/001
UPC: 702727185229
Pre-Book Date: 12/4/2007
Street Date: 1/1/2008
Format: DVD
SRP: $29.98

Product specifications and content configuration subject to change.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 09:53   Link #140
Takuto19
Yarrrr

Oh 1 of 6? Not good for my wallet, was hoping it was gonna be 6 episode per disc and be 4 volumes.

Only thing i don't like about anime is the DVD volume releases, i'd prefere if they just released the box set with the whole series instead of volumes.