AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-01, 07:56   Link #141
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Romney's likeability improves in post-convention boost: Reuters/Ipsos poll
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87U1CJ20120831
Did I miss something ?
Old 2012-09-01, 08:20   Link #142
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Did I miss something ?
From the link, the likability change didn't alter the voting choices. This means the likeability improvements came from people who were already voting for him anyway. So people who weren't voting for him before did not change their minds.
Old 2012-09-01, 12:38   Link #143
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Did I miss something ?
All it shows is that poll responders are easily swayed by happy stirring music and pictures of puppies. Low information, high emotion, no critical thinking... oye.
Old 2012-09-01, 13:34   Link #144
james0246

Polls always sway to whomever's convention has recently been aired. Next week Obama will surge ahead simply because the news is covering him exclusively. Any poll before the debates is essentially meaningless.
Old 2012-09-02, 16:41   Link #145
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Obama says Republican ideas from "last century'
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87P01H20120901

Romney to focus on debates while Democrats gather in Charlotte
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87U06S20120901

Cruel Conservatives Throw a Masquerade Ball
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/02/op...rade-ball.html
Quote:

Republicans care deeply. They really do.

They care deeply about making us think that they care deeply.
That’s why they knocked themselves out producing a convention that was a colossal hoax.
They did that for us. Because they care. With exquisite timing, they started caring last Tuesday at 7 p.m., when suddenly the party was chockablock with tender souls in rainbow colors, with strong-minded women and softhearted men, with sentimental rags-to-riches immigrant sagas.
We all know Republicans prefer riches-to-riches sagas and rounding up immigrants, if the parasitic scofflaws aren’t sensitive enough to self-deport.
That’s why my heart swells to think of the herculean effort the G.O.P. put into pretending its heart bleeds
Old 2012-09-04, 03:13   Link #146
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Just utterly convinced that this election will truly mark an important period of US history. Do we affirm the demagoguery of the GOP as a country by putting Mitt in office, or do we somehow maintain an incline of sanity?

I liked this article that explained exactly why it is imperative we do not vote this GOP into office.

http://kurteichenwald.com/2012/09/th...hope-they-are/
Old 2012-09-04, 07:43   Link #147
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Michael D. Higgins, Ireland President, Takes Down Tea Party Pundit Michael Graham

The audio there is actually only higgin's comments condensed together. You can hear the full thing (with graham's comments) here.

Our president is a great guy.
Old 2012-09-04, 08:15   Link #148
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Just utterly convinced that this election will truly mark an important period of US history. Do we affirm the demagoguery of the GOP as a country by putting Mitt in office, or do we somehow maintain an incline of sanity?

I liked this article that explained exactly why it is imperative we do not vote this GOP into office.

Warning to conservatives, this is an extremely concise well written article... but it has a lot of words, some of them may be big. But you're a fool if you don't read the whole thing.
Old 2012-09-04, 11:39   Link #149
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Michael D. Higgins, Ireland President, Takes Down Tea Party Pundit Michael Graham

The audio there is actually only higgin's comments condensed together. You can hear the full thing (with graham's comments) here.

Our president is a great guy.
Oh, man. Thanks for this. You're president really knows how to lay the smackdown; that really felt great!
Old 2012-09-04, 12:43   Link #150
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I tried finding this ad I saw on TV but I can't find it.

It talks about a Canadian woman (seen on camera, not sure if her account is real or if she is a paid actor) who had trouble with her eyes, and then it turns out she had a brain condition that was life threatening and then it said under Canada's healthcare system, she couldn't be seen right away. The commercial says she went to America to have the surgery to save her life and then the last message displayed in text says that (paraphrasing): "Obama's healthcare reform will make the healthcare system in America be more like Canada's".

So I've seen some Romney ads that are false or mostly false, so I'd like to know, are they painting the wrong picture? Should we expect people to not get surgeries right away for life threatening conditions under Obamacare? The way the ad worded its bottom line for its message really is vague and can easily be misleading, which is why I don't trust the ad (in combination with other Romney campaign ads being misleading or false).
Old 2012-09-04, 13:41   Link #151
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've heard a lot of stories about delays in the Canadian system but they always seem to actually come from Americans third hand. I've never actually seen such a story from an actual Canadian (almost every one thinks their health care is great).

Now, I'll be the first to believe that every healthcare system is going to have a few horror stories. The US has far more than a few horror stories. So anecdotal stories are generally worthless crap. Statistically, by cost, by service, and by general health of the population - the Canadian system does better. The main thing it *doesn't* do better is enrich a few fat cats at the expense of the rest of us.
Old 2012-09-04, 13:47   Link #152
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

It would be interesting to know the detail of her case, but to expect to be seen right away... if the schedule of the day is already packed with critical case you can't ''push'' them even for another critical case.
But it's a fact than under the Canada's healthcare system there's some waiting list but thoses are addapted to the gravity of the cases.

@Vexx, some canadians would like to have a bigger participation of the private sector, to have the choise betweem going with the public or to pay for to have a faster service. Buy yes, most of us do belive than we have a good healthcare system, or at least a better one than you have in the US.
Old 2012-09-04, 17:08   Link #153
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
It would be interesting to know the detail of her case, but to expect to be seen right away... if the schedule of the day is already packed with critical case you can't ''push'' them even for another critical case.
But it's a fact than under the Canada's healthcare system there's some waiting list but thoses are addapted to the gravity of the cases.

@Vexx, some canadians would like to have a bigger participation of the private sector, to have the choise betweem going with the public or to pay for to have a faster service. Buy yes, most of us do belive than we have a good healthcare system, or at least a better one than you have in the US.
The difference between an ideologue and a sane person is that the sane person is okay with tuning a system to get better results.
Old 2012-09-04, 17:26   Link #154
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The difference between an ideologue and a sane person is that the sane person is okay with tuning a system to get better results.
Even a ideologue will see the need to tuning given the extra load on the system thank to the aging of the population. There's change made inside our health system trying to make it more efficent but the result will be see years after the change.
And among thoses than don't want to wait a little and do have the money, some go to the US to get their treatment at full prize, which somehow make the second way of a 2-way health system.
Old 2012-09-04, 17:29   Link #155
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

The reasons Americans don't have to wait to access healthcare is because most of the population won't be going anyway, because they can't afford it!

But for the people who can afford it... luxury!
Old 2012-09-04, 17:51   Link #156
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
The reasons Americans don't have to wait to access healthcare is because most of the population won't be going anyway, because they can't afford it!

But for the people who can afford it... luxury!
This basically. The US rations healthcare, It's called rationing by price.

I remember that stuff about a Canadian women getting healthcare in the US. What they don't tell you is that woman "mortgaged her home to pay $100,000 for treatment at the Mayo Clinic."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shona_H..._care_incident
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/668284

Not everyone has a home or the means to get such a mortgage.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2012-09-04, 18:34   Link #157
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post

That really was an excellent article. Almost as amazing is all the well thought out and well reasoned comments below it. It's been a while since I saw so many in one place. Of course there were a few like this though.

"GREATEST bit of fiction I have read since Harry Potter. Keep up the good work!"

No other comments just comes in, bashes and leaves. I mean really if you had a problem with something in the article maybe you should cite it and explain why it's wrong. That might require too much brainpower though.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2012-09-04, 19:18   Link #158
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
That really was an excellent article. Almost as amazing is all the well thought out and well reasoned comments below it. It's been a while since I saw so many in one place. Of course there were a few like this though.

"GREATEST bit of fiction I have read since Harry Potter. Keep up the good work!"

No other comments just comes in, bashes and leaves. I mean really if you had a problem with something in the article maybe you should cite it and explain why it's wrong. That might require too much brainpower though.
I think the world of Harry Potter might be more well rooted in the real world than the GOP these days. The GOP sure likes to fabricate a lot of lies and partial truths.
Old 2012-09-04, 19:25   Link #159
sikvod00

I'm watching the DNC now on MSNBC. While it's not as nauseating as the RNC, it's one of those feelings where even if you totally agree with someone, you want them to stfu (I'm looking at you, Harry Reid...). All these people being loyal, obedient democrats is kind of annoying. And this is coming from someone who loves Michelle Obama and can't wait to hear her keynote speech, LOL. Maybe I'm being a hypocrite.
Old 2012-09-04, 19:35   Link #160
james0246

Watching the DNC Convention. Some good bits. I appreciated the Democratic Wojen coming out to speak about their plight and service. Ann Romney spoke of love, and tried to represent the mothers of America. These professional women represented efficiency, possibility, and progress while also being mothers. This is quite a contrast.

That being said, you can really tell that the Democrats had support from Hollywood in the staging and execution of this event. From the community center feel ofnthe stage, to the extremly diverse nature of the crowd, everything is being done to create a personal and comforting atmosophere. This is in stark contrast to the Republican Conventions utilitarian and almost bleak set-up.

And of course, the Teddy Kennedy memorial was pure rhetorical gold.
Closed Thread