AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-05-17, 08:15   Link #1
marksky
Info Tech Stud desu!!

Internet Connection..

I inserted in my laptop a RJ-45 cord to connect it in a Local are network, i go to the network connections and it said it's connected >_>

Then i open my browser, and tried to open a site and then it says "Address not Found". Then i wait another minute and hit refresh and still it doesn't connect. I short, it doesn't connect me to any sites ~_~

Any thoughts about this?

Credits goes to Renegade334
marksky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 08:26   Link #2
Tiberium Wolf

From the lack of information... is the local network using a proxy to access the net?
Old 2009-05-17, 08:51   Link #3
marksky
Info Tech Stud desu!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
From the lack of information... is the local network using a proxy to access the net?
Oh wait.. I connected the rj-45 to Router to laptop..
At first it connected, but then there's a pop-up by mcafee saying "should i trust this connection or not". Then i hit "trust this connection". And after that, it won't connect me..

Old 2009-05-17, 09:05   Link #4
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Have you tried it while having mc caffee turned off?
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 09:09   Link #5
marksky
Info Tech Stud desu!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Have you tried it while having mc caffee turned off?
I really uninstall mcafee ~_~

But then, still the same thing happens..

Old 2009-05-17, 13:27   Link #6
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Try releasing and renewing the IP Address. In most cases, it can fix internet connectivity on your computer when connected to a local LAN.

In command line (cmd.exe), type in.
ipconfig.exe /release
ipconfig.exe /renew

This will release your current IP address in your local network and try to obtain a new IP address.

If that doesn't work, try manually setting your IP address. Type in ipconfig in command line, then right click on your network adaptor and click on "Internet Protocol v4" and click Properties. then copy the information provided by ipconfig.
Old 2009-05-20, 11:40   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ya'll are thinking too hard.... sounds to me like his DHCP didn't assign him a DNS server. (or as chikorita157 implies, the whole DHCP assignments are borked).

After you execute the (ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew) ... execute an "ipconfig /all" and see if its giving you DNS servers. Then try to ping those addresses to see if you're able to reach those servers.

I run into this sort of crap all the time in coffeeshops where they are clueless about their DHCP configuration. Anymore I keep a list of known DNS servers (anyDNS) and then reverse engineer likely LAN ranges to connect.

Oh and don't uninstall your anti-virus if you're going to connect to any network, especially an alien one. Not A Good Idea. Though I'm not a fan of McAfee. It is so paranoid that it asks you about a simple connection attempt - its written to unnecessarily increase user anxiety so you'll keep subscribing. There are free AVG out there that do the job and are much less intrusive.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-05-20 at 11:52.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 12:13   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Expanding a bit on what Vexx said, a working Internet connection has two parts. One is the network connection itself; your computer needs to have a network adapter with an IP address assigned to it, and it needs to be connected to another machine with a "compatible" IP address. Beyond that your computer needs to know how to translate from "hostnames" like "www.animesuki.com" to their corresponding IP addresses. This is the task of the "Domain Name Service." Your computer needs to know the addresses of at least one, and preferable two or more, DNS servers.

Now if you're connected to a commercial router like a Linksys or Netgear, it may have asked you during configuration to identify the DNS servers that your external Internet connection will use. If the router itself connects automatically to your ISP that information should be exchanged when the router boots up. In addition, the router needs to inform client computers like your laptop which DNS servers to use; typically the router either becomes the local DNS server, or it passes the ISP's server addresses to its clients.

All this means there are two things that you need to check when you can't browse the Internet:

1) Am I connected? Run cmd.exe and use the "ipconfig /all" command to see if you have an IP address and a DNS server. You should also see the address of the router as your "default gateway." Make sure you can "ping" it by entering the command "ping your.router.ip.addr" (e.g., "ping 192.168.1.1") in the command window. If you don't see replies from the router, you probably have a physical connection problem.

2) Do I have a DNS server? Check the reply to the "ipconfig /all" command in (1). If you don't have any servers listed, you'll need to log into the router and figure out what its DNS settings are. This is a more complex task than I can address here; try the router's manual or online help.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 09:12   Link #9
marksky
Info Tech Stud desu!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Though I'm not a fan of McAfee. It is so paranoid that it asks you about a simple connection attempt - its written to unnecessarily increase user anxiety so you'll keep subscribing. There are free AVG out there that do the job and are much less intrusive.
Yeah i agree, McAfee is so sensitive when it comes to something. And yeah, i switched to free avg.

Anyways, thanks for the advices guys.. It's now connected