Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Spoiler for speculation:
Somehow, you got a point there.
Dark Steno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-09, 17:33   Link #82
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Shinsen-subs released episode 3! Yay for more FLAG!
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-09, 17:49   Link #83
BuddyLee

I've been waiting for this series for ages now. After Sunrise did Gasaraki back in the day i was longing for another political drama which touch base with current events in a subtle way. So far i see people liking this series, wished I could say the same for Gasaraki, people used to bash on it all the time . Oh well so far so good ... thumbs up to Flag
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-10, 01:09   Link #84
Lost

It took episode 3 to make me realise what a great sounding OP FLAG has.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-10, 01:22   Link #85
Dark Steno
Zigadongdong!

Send a message via MSN to Dark Steno
Hey, the musics are great. Why take up to the third episode to realize it?
Old 2006-09-10, 01:55   Link #86
wao
OK.

Well, the show only had an OP from episode 2 onwards...

My favourite part of the OP is when there's that bit where tank shots are fired into the night sky (seen through nigth vision) and the music goes really cool and stuff.

The music is very professional... I like the 'ethnic' sort of themes, they're nicely done but not overpowering. I still love the piece they played at teh end of episode 1 - it went so well with the bottom-up view of HAVWC against the desert sky. The composer, Yoshihiro Ike, seems to do music for typically darker and mature shows (KARAS, Ergo Proxy, Blood: the last vampire, Sci Fi Harry) but I was very surprised by his excellent job on the Kamichu! OST which is in a totally different vein.
Old 2006-09-10, 02:23   Link #87
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Steno
Hey, the musics are great. Why take up to the third episode to realize it?
Lol, yeah definitely the musics are great, especially the ED; but it was the OP alone that I was referring to.

I guess when I first heard it in episode 2 I brushed it off because it was so simple sounding, plus there wasn't exactly much visuals to follow along with it.

But with episode 3 I had the chance to listen to it again, more closely this time I guess, and I think I'm starting to appreciate it. It also follows along well with, almost complements, the pictures as they are presented. Ah.. lesson re-learnt: Simple not neccessarily bad.

Yeah wao, the 'ethnic' feel is definitely reflecting in the soft lamenting wails/cries.

Two main themes I could glean from this episode, both I like very much.

First when bigdarkguy (sorry, I'm shite at names) was telling Shirasu in the canteen about how reporters popped up and started snapping photos during his country's war, then conveniently leaving them behind as if not caring about the suffering; much like using the war, the suffering of others, as personal gain on a small scale. It gave me the contrast between taking pictures just for the sensational nature of the war and earning money; vs. taking photographs for the love of the art, as he noticed Shirasu was doing, by the beautiful non-war pictures she took.

~~While not entirely related, this part made me think, because it brought to mind a question I've always pondered, how can photographers who take pictures of human suffering not put down their cameras and help, but keep on filming passively? In fact I felt this was explored a little in how Shirasu threw her precious cam aside and stopped filming to help bigdarkguy; but that doesn't really count, because in this case her life was dependent on helping bigdarkguy, being as she was in the same helicopter.~~

Anyway, back to the first theme, later on at the end of the briefing (when Shirasu asked to go along) it was interesting how bigdarkguy contradicted himself to an extent by realising that the photos snapped by those seemingly uncaring people did do some good by making the rest of the world care what was going on. Fascinating.

Second theme, well not really theme, but maybe a symbolism. I like how the episode in which Shirasu first experiences firsthand combat at the frontlines is also the episode that ends with her first time taking pictures of "frontline soldiers," herself included.
Old 2006-09-10, 06:36   Link #88
Dark Steno
Zigadongdong!

Send a message via MSN to Dark Steno
Somehow that behaviour changes other's opinions about her as she put away the camera to help the wounded.
Old 2006-09-10, 23:34   Link #89
porkisgood

flag reminds me a little bit of blood+ mainly because of the military angle. i like artsy foreign films and i like FLAG because of the way it's pieced together. i have a lot of friends who are photographers and i do a bit of photography as a hobby.. so i understand about the "perspective" they are painting. for one, when you are the photographer it's as if you are removed from the situation yet it is your perspective that is recorded. this is my impression from the first episode.. i have others i've downloaded and still have to watch.. but wanted to share. if you like artsy or "different" anime, then this one is right up your alley fo sho.

ps.. people smoking and drinking heavily and being in good physical shape is highly possible.. ie.. women's flat track roller derby!!!

http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...&search=Search
porkisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 12:50   Link #90
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Just finished the first 3 episode, i think it's a very nice anime. Very unique way to present a story, through the lens of a cameraman (in this case, 2 cameraman )

The music was beautiful as well, OP was excellent, sounds a lot like Harry William Gregson's stuff. Animation was good and the directing is god-like. I think they probably spend a lot of time watching real life war documentary in prepping for production.

I personally like how they play around with the camera's focusing, reflective surface and light exposure.

Character design felt a bit odd especially how they potray caucassian.
Old 2006-09-13, 10:20   Link #91
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Just watched the third episode, it was great as well. The helicopter part was done masterfully, I really can't get enough of watching FLAG's animation. It's so beautiful and realistic. Unfortunately the quality of the SHS version isn't that great, so this show really needs a DVD version.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-13, 14:42   Link #92
mone-chan

well Volume 1 of the DVD comes out september 27th in Japan with volume 2 out oct. 25th. 2 episodes per DVD.
mone-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-13, 16:39   Link #93
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
does anyone get headache because of the wacky point of view? I'm a casual FPSer and I can play HL/CS, etc no problem but FLAG , they move the camera around too fast/too often I feel sick (but that doesn't stop me from watching the anime tho...FLAG is sooo great... I want to listen to the longer version of the OP too.. so nice and relaxing..

hopefully I can get used to the camera angle/pov soon T_T

/edit

BTW at first when I see the OP(i watch eps 3 first lol) pix with a soldier with a UNF helmet, I mistakenly read it as VNF and think that it is a movie about vietnam war or something
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 09:58   Link #94
Lost

I didnt get as bad a reaction to it as you did (no headaches/nausea/vomiting/fever) but yes it definitely requires getting use to...
Old 2006-09-17, 02:49   Link #95
wao
OK.

Has everyone been missing episode 6? Well, it was a bit more fast paced with the introduction of a new bit of music and more frequent switching between Akagi and Shirasu's storylines. Also, events that continued from episode 5 were continuing on...

Spoiler for Generally what happened, SPOILERS KTHX:
Old 2006-09-17, 07:54   Link #96
Aniki Meiski

Hi Wao
Spoiler:
Aniki Meiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-18, 04:07   Link #97
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz
does anyone get headache because of the wacky point of view? I'm a casual FPSer and I can play HL/CS, etc no problem but FLAG , they move the camera around too fast/too often I feel sick (but that doesn't stop me from watching the anime tho...FLAG is sooo great... I want to listen to the longer version of the OP too.. so nice and relaxing..

hopefully I can get used to the camera angle/pov soon T_T

/edit

BTW at first when I see the OP(i watch eps 3 first lol) pix with a soldier with a UNF helmet, I mistakenly read it as VNF and think that it is a movie about vietnam war or something
I think it's probably the camera focusing effect that might have been disorientating for you. CS have a lot twitchy screen effect unless you are afk or a newbie camper.

It was a bit disorientating at first, not because of the camera POV but because some scene just comes in too suddenly. One moment you are looking through the camera at the mountains, next you are inside base darkly lit comm room.

Plus the shutter effect is a bit disorientating at first.
Old 2006-09-18, 11:52   Link #98
PILMAN

Wait episode 6? I thought only episode 1 2 and 3 were released.
PILMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-18, 13:28   Link #99
Lost

^ Episode 6 has already aired. But the series has only been subbed till episode 3.
Old 2006-10-12, 15:21   Link #100
Schwarzwald
Tanjuu Oserotto

Episode 4 has been released today...of course, the torrent is broken and thus there are no seeders, but hey, we asked for a release, not a "working" release, right?
Oh well, when it gets fixed, I'll enjoy what I suppose will become a monthly installment of FLAG, I figure it'll be done by, oh, Summer?
Schwarzwald is offline   Reply With Quote