AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-14, 15:43   Link #25181
relentlessflame

*Administrator

As was pointed out, there is already a thread to discuss gun-control related issues. Please use that thread so that this thread can focus on the news of what happened (not personal editorials of how government policies should change).
Old 2012-12-14, 15:48   Link #25182
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I've cut down tree with a shotgun (it was burnt from a forest fire, so it was more just breaking what was left of the tree before it fell over). I've also blasted out mistletoe with a shotgun because we didn't have a tall enough ladder.

Shotguns also are used to get rid of pests on farms (rodents, snakes, sometimes birds).

It is a tool. How one uses it is subject to need and laws. If one misuses a tool (any tool) to take a life, than that person is prosecuted for it as a crime.

Pistols are for home defense because they are generally smaller and less powerful. Police use hollow tip bullets so they will stop in (or just after) the first solid thing it hits so it won't keep going into someone elses building.

Rifles are used for hunting larger animals, or at distance were a pistol is not as useful.

Again a tool. It is a tool generally used to kill, but not always people.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other (happier) news: Indiana Jones got mail at his college.

http://todayentertainment.today.com/...f-chicago?lite=

Quote:
Indiana Jones, you've got mail. Wait, what?! Well, that certainly seems to be the case given how the admissions department at the University of Chicago received a package earlier this week addressed to Henry Walton Jones, Jr. aka our beloved hero from "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
Old 2012-12-14, 15:49   Link #25183
Destined_Fate

So the total death count seems to be 27 now.

Mods have come in, move the gun talk to the appropriate topic.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:50   Link #25184
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I also recommend reading Jane Perlez's piece from yesterday's Times on why China continues to support North Korea despite considerable unease about that nation's behavior within the ranks of the Chinese government.
none of the reason state in the article is new. All have been hash over in other articles over the last several years.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:52   Link #25185
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
So, for actual news related to the news, found a noteworthy quote on yahoo:

If that doesn't tug on your heart, then you may have green fur.
Ugh that makes me feel like crying. Those poor children. I don't think the Grinch was conceptualized in a reality of such hateful acts. I might need to just avoid this type of news for a bit. Really screws with my head.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:57   Link #25186
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
As was pointed out, there is already a thread to discuss gun-control related issues. Please use that thread so that this thread can focus on the news of what happened (not personal editorials of how government policies should change).
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...53#post4474853

And I am more than happy to bring it right back up.
Old 2012-12-14, 16:04   Link #25187
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
So, for actual news related to the news, found a noteworthy quote on yahoo:

If that doesn't tug on your heart, then you may have green fur.
As a father, yes indeed that affects me. This whole affair has left me....well....

Endless "......" Soul
Old 2012-12-14, 16:07   Link #25188
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
As a father, yes indeed that affects me. This whole affair has left me....well....

Endless "......" Soul
How about pissed? I sure as hell am. I still remember Columbine, like I do with 9/11. Even though shootings have happened before that -- I probably was too young to even remember 'em. Or, I might not have been in the country yet.
Old 2012-12-14, 16:13   Link #25189
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
none of the reason state in the article is new. All have been hash over in other articles over the last several years.
I was struck by her suggestion that support for North Korea has become more controversial within the foreign-policy elites as exasperation with the behavior of the DPRK grows.

It reminded me of the quick reversal by Russia's Foreign Ministry of the comments made yesterday about the future of Assad government.

It is rare that we get to see behind the curtain in countries like China or Russia. Just like the rest of the major powers they face an increasingly unstable world populated by increasingly uncontrollable client states.
Old 2012-12-14, 16:17   Link #25190
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I was struck by her suggestion that support for North Korea has become more controversial within the foreign-policy elites as exasperation with the behavior of the DPRK grows.

It reminded me of the quick reversal by Russia's Foreign Ministry of the comments made yesterday about the future of Assad government.

It is rare that we get to see behind the curtain in countries like China or Russia. Just like the rest of the major powers they face an increasingly unstable world populated by increasingly uncontrollable client states.
should anyone really be surprise that the Elites in China are exasperated by NK? I didn't think anyone thought China is supporting NK because they buddies.
Old 2012-12-14, 16:17   Link #25191
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Ugh that makes me feel like crying. Those poor children. I don't think the Grinch was conceptualized in a reality of such hateful acts. I might need to just avoid this type of news for a bit. Really screws with my head.
yeah, i was kind of freak out when i saw the news on MSN earlier. i feel really
bad for the kids; they have done nothing wrong to deserve this. i'm very sure parents
are going to be really worry after this news. no one wants their kids to be in any danger.
Old 2012-12-14, 16:27   Link #25192
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Why dammit!? Why kids? How can you hate the world THAT much to do such a thing? I just don't understand...

Old 2012-12-14, 16:27   Link #25193
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

My condolences towards the family.. I've just heard about it a couple of minutes ago. I want to complain about the lack of gun control (eventhough as an outsider I couldn't even do that), but I agree that it's not the time.

It saddens me to see those innocent kids suddenly lost their life when I imagined those kids going to school without knowing what'll happen to them..

I hope their families will stay strong and those poor souls the best...wherever they are right now.

Old 2012-12-14, 16:28   Link #25194
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
should anyone really be surprise that the Elites in China are exasperated by NK? I didn't think anyone thought China is supporting NK because they buddies.
I don't even understand the buffer argument. NK doesn't seem like a very good ally and would probably be benefiting far more from the partnership than the Chinese do. I also don't see why a unified, pro-US Korea puts China on edge... I have trouble envisioning such a scenario somehow hurting Chinese supremacy/influence in any truly appreciable manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
yeah, i was kind of freak out when i saw the news on MSN earlier. i feel really
bad for the kids; they have done nothing wrong to deserve this. i'm very sure parents
are going to be really worry after this news. no one wants their kids to be in any danger.
I'm not a parent yet, but I have a 9 year old brother attending school not too far from there. Logical or not, when you have an element like that, it makes your reaction that much more emotional and upset.
Old 2012-12-14, 16:30   Link #25195
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
How about pissed? I sure as hell am. I still remember Columbine, like I do with 9/11. Even though shootings have happened before that -- I probably was too young to even remember 'em. Or, I might not have been in the country yet.
Pissed, sad, vengeful, fearful, just to name a few emotions.

Endless "......" Soul
Old 2012-12-14, 16:49   Link #25196
flying ^

This new university study should reverberate across the gaming community...

... and in a couple days or hours from now: the mainstream media.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddis...re-aggression/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57...lative-effect/
Old 2012-12-14, 16:52   Link #25197
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I don't even understand the buffer argument. NK doesn't seem like a very good ally and would probably be benefiting far more from the partnership than the Chinese do. I also don't see why a unified, pro-US Korea puts China on edge... I have trouble envisioning such a scenario somehow hurting Chinese supremacy/influence in any truly appreciable manner.
Because China is not hot about the idea of a U.S Military force sitting on its border.
Old 2012-12-14, 16:56   Link #25198
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That US Military force has been sitting there since 1945. Or at least the end of the Korean War.
Old 2012-12-14, 17:14   Link #25199
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
This new university study should reverberate across the gaming community...

... and in a couple days or hours from now: the mainstream media.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddis...re-aggression/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57...lative-effect/
To me, such "studies" have the problem of smelling of the old "D&D leads to Satanism" bullshit of the 1980s. Correlating gaming with violence is almost like correlating the use of running water and electricity with violence. Violent people use those things, omigod!

I do think think that video games, or movies, or any immersive experience *can* ignite the extreme outlier. But so can a corroded economy, uncertainty, insecurity, flaming zealotry, etc.

At the end of the day, you start wondering if these flag waving finger pointers have a point.
Old 2012-12-14, 17:30   Link #25200
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Ugh, this makes me angry and disgusted. How could you? I think I'm going to feel gloomy for the rest of the day.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international