AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-09-22, 05:37   Link #61
animeboy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhokhusmak View Post
I guess you win on technicality that Yoruichi is black, but that's not exactly what I meant.

I looked up the other two and... they be hurtin' =\
there's also a hot one in cowboy bebop

Well in episode 116 of bleach she's referred to as "kuro onna" (black women)

but forget the lack of black people in anime what the ambiguity of it? I can't tell how many show I've watch where I've seen I character that has African feature but since the show never never says it I don't know if she's african
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-22, 13:38   Link #62
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Its better to keep our Singaporean behavious to ourselves lol

The only stereotypes we can produce would be pretty ugly lol
Faye Valentine is hardly ugly
Though she definitely doesnt look singapore to me.
Old 2008-09-22, 15:45   Link #63
animeboy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Faye Valentine is hardly ugly
Though she definitely doesnt look singapore to me.
I think she's European
Old 2008-09-22, 16:10   Link #64
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Erm yea lol, I have absolutely no idea why I was quoted.

In the history of anime, I believe only one Singaporean, a badly represented Singaporean, that was ever shown.

He was the pilot of the Neo-Singapore Gundam who along with Neo-Malaysia, got trashed in a tag-team fight by God Gundam and Nobel Gundam.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 03:11   Link #65
YouMightHaveAIDS

Anyone ever see Read or Die? The American Navy at the end is just hilarious. Their commander is like a scared child with a gun (gun being a button that deploys nuclear weapons). While the British are cool as fools with handling the threat.
YouMightHaveAIDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 13:11   Link #66
Strahan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by animeboy12 View Post
april from darker than black
yoruichi from bleach
Claudia LaSalle from Macross
I guess you win on technicality that Yoruichi is black, but that's not exactly what I meant.

I looked up the other two and... they be hurtin' =\
No doubt.

If that's your idea of hot, I'm scared. Very scared.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 18:42   Link #67
animeboy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
No doubt.

If that's your idea of hot, I'm scared. Very scared.
she looks decent in this pic

http://images.animelab.com/gallery/M...es/claudia.jpg

oh and there's also a hot in cowboy bebop
http://www.jazzmess.com/gal/ep17/coffee.jpg

I also found this person on macross frontier ,Canaria Berstein ( not too sure of her race though but see doesn't have common african feature (hair texture, dark skin, big lips)
http://randomc.maximum7.net/image/Ma...Large%2010.jpg

I personally think that Blacks in anime are treated well though. Sure they are some occasions (Seto no Hanayome).

There are three main things that brother about Blacks in anime
1) Where are the hot black women (or black women in general) . I don't know why, but it seem that anime series get can't get how to draw beautiful black women. Sure the one's I mention were decent but if you compare with other anime characters of other races they end up looking bland.

2) Blacks are treat well in anime, but it's alway they same role. It's either the military type, or athletic, basically anything that has to do with physical ability. I know we're known for our speed and strength but just once the black be average Joe or the Love interest.

3) the Ambiguity of most characters races. I seen so many chacters type have African features(Hilda from Eureka7, casca from beserk athena glory from Aria , Erika Campbell from Lemon Angel Project). the problem is that the also they traits assocaited with other races. I just with the races of anime characters could be more clearer

Last edited by animeboy12; 2008-09-23 at 20:44.
Old 2008-09-24, 18:03   Link #68
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

What about Elvy from RahXephon? I would think most would rate her character high on the "hot or not" scale.

Ciao!
KitsuneNineTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 21:06   Link #69
Xhokhusmak

I now remember one. I remember somebody now, very well.

Nadia in the Secret of Blue Water. Even though her origin is Atlantean, she grew and came from Kenya. Now this makes me want to watch this series once again, it was great. :P And yes there was even a scene where the topic is about discrimating her because of skin color.

I've satisfied myself. =)
Xhokhusmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 00:11   Link #70
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

This one image will stop people from thinking that they didn't have hot black ladies in anime:
Spoiler for nsfw:
Suddenly remembered her while playing Super Robot Wars Z where Eureka 7 also takes part in.

For those who do not know:

Her name is Gidget.

There's also a black couple in Eureka 7 and along the entire crew of Gekko State, they are cool guys as well.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 05:23   Link #71
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Actually most of people here are too young but the best portrayal of Chinese in anime is Admiral of the Fleet Yang Wen Li from Legend of Galactic Heroes. He is shown as genius yet humble, very respected yet friendly, a man full of honour yet compassionate, courageous and principled. A leader that I will follow to gates of Hell. It is no wonder many Chinese anime fans considered him as the best anime character despite the old age of the anime.

Legend of Galactic Heroes have several positive portrayals of Blacks and South Americans as well, several high ranking commanders in Free Alliance of Planets came from these 2 ethnic groups.

Don't forget FLAG and Moonlight Mile where most races were shown as human beings, not caricatures or fan service panty shot flashers who can't talk in proper sentences.
Old 2008-09-25, 14:28   Link #72
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Erm, doesn't every nation run off of the stereotypes of others? I watch American shows use stereotypes of other nations, British shows use stereotypes, etc. Now, Japan is a little xenophobic and a little racist, but the same could be said for any nation. I seem to remember very recently the Spanish Basketball team took a picture that wasn't in the best of taste.

Only a few nations are completely open with multiculturalism. Canada and the US are the leaders, with the United Kingdom also accepting more and more cultures from other lands.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 17:00   Link #73
animeboy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneNineTails View Post
What about Elvy from RahXephon? I would think most would rate her character high on the "hot or not" scale.

Ciao!
she's actually Indonesian

Quote:
I now remember one. I remember somebody now, very well.

Nadia in the Secret of Blue Water. Even though her origin is Atlantean, she grew and came from Kenya. Now this makes me want to watch this series once again, it was great. :P And yes there was even a scene where the topic is about discrimating her because of skin color.

I've satisfied myself. =)
I was gonna put that but people wanted hot black and nadia more of the cute type

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
This one image will stop people from thinking that they didn't have hot black ladies in anime:
Spoiler for nsfw:
Suddenly remembered her while playing Super Robot Wars Z where Eureka 7 also takes part in.

For those who do not know:

Her name is Gidget.

There's also a black couple in Eureka 7 and along the entire crew of Gekko State, they are cool guys as well.
I thought she was black too but there characters like this in ep 23
http://myillusion.net/ablogold/eureka23_02.jpg
that have darker skin than her and show a lot more common African features. Not saying that all Africans have dark skin but I've never seen to characters on the same non-Japanese race in an anime have different skin tones
Old 2008-09-25, 23:21   Link #74
Abashi

American characters are usually either self-righteous prudes or military war hawks, no surprise. I'm neither, but I have no choice but to live here, this is why I am so alone. I like Japan better.
Old 2008-09-25, 23:42   Link #75
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
The Japanese are no more self-righteous than Americans; Take a look at the social stances some of the Japanese population have against Koreans, Chinese, and Filipinos...Whether that's good or bad depends on whether it's the difference between a feeling of superiority or just nationalistic patriotism, but every country is guilty of having self-righteous citizens, not just America...

Of course the "war hawk" thing is only a stereotype; That's why half of America in reality is made up of anti-war protesters...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 00:22   Link #76
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Um... This thread is about foreign stereotypes in anime... like how Americans are portrayed. Sounds like ya'll are mixing some personal RL into this and confusing the issues??? maybe?
Old 2008-09-26, 08:22   Link #77
Aretsugu no Kimi

I don't think that Japanese regard Americans as hawks or jingoists in general, because I rarely watch military anime and I find in other genre many pacifist Americans.
Aretsugu no Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 12:05   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

More often ... American stereotypes are simply loud, scary, invade personal space, make basic etiquette mistakes, and are rude but somehow manage to be simultaneously considered friendly and loyal.
Old 2008-09-26, 22:33   Link #79
animeboy12

I do agree that Americans are portrayed are loud and scary. Personally, I the thing that I find weird is that you look at how much Japan has been influenced by western culture. Then you like at the way they portray them in anime
Old 2008-09-27, 02:25   Link #80
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I can't really think of any anime shows I have watched that have Americans besides Baccano! and the portrayed Americans in the 1930s very well.

Can't really think of any others with Americans in it that I have seen.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote