AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-24, 19:40   Link #1661
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
We know for sure that the new Chuuni project isn't just your standard issue single-episode OVA (those being all the rage in the anime world today)? If so, I guess I missed the announcement on that.
Here's what we know thus far:
1. Not a notice for the re-broadcasting.
2. Not a notice for a new novel.
3. BD/DVD v7 already comes with an OVA that was not aired on TV (in addition to the 6 Lite episodes)

Since it's not something for the re-broadcasting, a new novel, or an OVA (it's already getting one), it has to be something like a new season (fitting the "renewed" aspect) or a movie.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2013-04-24, 19:44   Link #1662
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Here's what we know thus far:
1. Not a notice for the re-broadcasting.
2. Not a notice for a new novel.
3. BD/DVD v7 already comes with an OVA that was not aired on TV (in addition to the 6 Lite episodes)

Since it's not something for the re-broadcasting, a new novel, or an OVA (it's already getting one), it has to be something like a new season (fitting the "renewed" aspect) or a movie.
Thanks for the info. I was unaware of No. 3. Well, at least KyoAni isn't entirely sequel-adverse.
Old 2013-04-24, 20:08   Link #1663
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I think I need to explain better.

1. Taking anime originals over adaptations or existing franchises.

My hit rate for anime originals are substantially higher than for adaptations and sequels. Also 9 times out of 10, sequels are not as good as its first season (though they are some rare exceptions). So, I do have a natural tendency of bias to be more positive of anime originals (at the premise/announcement and first impression stage) than I do for sequels or adaptations. Even more so if an adaptation is from a LN source which is becoming my least favourite medium for adaptation unless the premise says otherwise (Kyoukai no Kanata being one of those exceptions that is specifically in relation to Kyoani).

2. Sequels/Franchises amounting to milking

Firstly, I said "largely" not all the time. It depends on the circumstances. Say you're sequel or franchise was some standard slice of life/romcom/comedy LN adaptation and you're continuing it... well I'll more lean towards it as "milking". If however, you're something more rare, different and "epic" (Literal sense) like "Game of Thrones" or "Moribito" to use some examples given, then no that wouldn't be milking. Unfortunately, the significant amount of adaptations are from this LN adaptation field at this moment. Though to credit to Kyoani, their adaptations are definitely more polished on the whole than a adaptation from JC Staff generally.

3. Kyoto Animation anime originals

They've only done two. One in 2004 (Munto) and one last season in Tamako Market. It is true that both weren't exactly stellar, but in no way did I say I didn't want Kyoani to make more, because I'm pretty sure they will make a big hit some day or another (afterall Kyoani have brilliant animators and on the whole consistent pacing, whilst lacking in the content area). They are still substantially behind other studios like Production IG, A-1 Pictures and P.A Works in this "anime original department", but I'm sure if they actually put in "effort" (unlike Tamako Market), they could become a key player. They still got a lot to prove though in that field.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-04-24 at 20:45.
Old 2013-04-24, 20:51   Link #1664
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post

2. Sequels/Franchises amounting to milking

Firstly, I said "largely" not all the time. It depends on the circumstances. Say you're sequel or franchise was some standard slice of life/romcom/comedy LN adaptation and you're continuing it... well I'll more lean towards it as "milking". If however, you're something more rare, different and "epic" (Literal sense) like "Game of Thrones" or "Moribito" to use some examples given, then no that wouldn't be milking. Unfortunately, the significant amount of adaptations are from this LN adaptation field at this moment.
And I would argue that Haruhi is more "rare, different and epic" than "some standard slice of life/romcom/comedy". Do you disagree?

Quote:

3. Kyoto Animation anime originals

They've only done two. One in 2004 (Munto) and one last season in Tamako Market. It is true that both weren't exactly stellar, but in no way did I say I didn't want Kyoani to make more, because I'm pretty sure they will make a big hit some day or another...
And they've already made plenty of big hits out of adaptation work. And one of their most well-received works of all-time was a sequel (loosely speaking) - Clannad: After Story.

Animation studios should be evaluated on what's true for their own body of work, not necessarily for what's true of anime in general, imo.

And in KyoAni's case, I see a studio with a much better track record with adaptation work than with anime originals, and I see a studio that's very good with sequels. After Story I'd put ahead of Clannad Season 1, K-On's 2nd season I'd also put ahead of K-On's first season, Haruhi 2006 I'd admittedly put ahead of Haruhi 2009 - So that's two out of three cases where the sequel was better than the original, imo.
Old 2013-04-24, 21:04   Link #1665
Warm Mist

I don't think there's a fundamental difference between doing an original project and adapting something else, production-wise. The only major thing I can think of is that the director would probably be much more involved with direction of the story, characters and plot developments, but even that varies from case to case and doesn't compromise the other aspects of the show.
If we're talking about Kyoani as an animation studio, Tamako Market is still a very above average show. If your issues with it lie on its storyline, faulting the studio as a whole is disingenuous. At any rate, Yamada and Yoshida would be responsible. It's unreasonable to use that as a precedent to be wary of other original projects by the same studio if the writer(s) and director are different.
Old 2013-04-24, 21:06   Link #1666
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
And I would argue that Haruhi is more "rare, different and epic" than "some standard slice of life/romcom/comedy". Do you disagree?
If you consider the timing when Haruhi came out (2006), then yes, but one thing I have to disagree with was that Haruhi was in no way "epic" in the literal sense. If you consider in recent times, not really. There are an awful lot of slice of life-ish series with supernatural/sci-fi/fantasy tack-ons as of late (may or may not be due to Haruhi's influence), but it definitely isn't different anymore.

Quote:
And they've already made plenty of big hits out of adaptation work. And one of their most well-received works of all-time was a sequel (loosely speaking) - Clannad: After Story.
True.

Quote:
Animation studios should be evaluated on what's true for their own body of work, not necessarily for what's true of anime in general, imo.
I don't quite understand what you mean this statement? Do you mean animation studios should be evaluated on how true they remain themselves (genuity) and not what is happening in the anime industry atm? If so, wasn't Kyoani one of the driving factors that led to this moe boom in the first place?

Quote:
And in KyoAni's case, I see a studio with a much better track record with adaptation work than with anime originals
True, but that's because Kyoani only has attempted two anime originals, one which was way back in 2004 and one by effectively "Team K-on" which bluntly imo isn't the most creative branch of Kyoto Animation. So in a way it isn't fair. Imagine if Team FMP, Haruhi or Hyouka created an anime original.

Quote:
I see a studio that's very good with sequels. After Story I'd put ahead of Clannad Season 1, K-On's 2nd season I'd also put ahead of K-On's first season, Haruhi 2006 I'd admittedly put ahead of Haruhi 2009 - So that's two out of three cases where the sequel was better than the original, imo.
Clannad sure, K-on and Haruhi not so much. K-on S2 was very much the same old (with a bittersweet ending, which I agree was pretty decent) and Haruhi S2... well let's just say it didn't exist . Still doesn't prove that sequels in general (in all forms of mediums not just anime I'd say) are usually inferior to first seasons.
Old 2013-04-24, 21:23   Link #1667
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
If we're talking about Kyoani as an animation studio, Tamako Market is still a very above average show. If your issues with it lie on its storyline, faulting the studio as a whole is disingenuous. At any rate, Yamada and Yoshida would be responsible. It's unreasonable to use that as a precedent to be wary of other original projects by the same studio if the writer(s) and director are different.
My issues with Tamako Market probably lie with the characters who failed to weld any emotional connection with me. Also, I disliked the general atmosphere that compromised relaxing serenity for goofiness and whimsy. And yes, I do blame Yamada far more than the studio for making that miserable anime, and I dread any future original works she directs. KyoAni's other directors are for the most part really good, except for Ishihara (an otherwise decent director) failing to give impact to Nichijou's gags.
Old 2013-04-24, 21:31   Link #1668
Pocari_Sweat

I think Takemoto is Kyoani's best director. The guy was the head director for FMP, FMP: Fumoffu, Dissappearance and Hyouka. Pretty damn impressive.

Kyoani anime original directed by this guy please. With Gen Orobuchi writing it to totally turn Kyoani's reputation of "moe" upside down .
Old 2013-04-24, 22:02   Link #1669
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
If you consider the timing when Haruhi came out (2006), then yes, but one thing I have to disagree with was that Haruhi was in no way "epic" in the literal sense.
The Haruhi narrative is extremely long, develops over a lengthy period of in-canon time, and involves exceptionally high stakes for its characters. That's pretty epic, even in a literal sense, if you ask me.

Quote:
If you consider in recent times, not really. There are an awful lot of slice of life-ish series with supernatural/sci-fi/fantasy tack-ons as of late (may or may not be due to Haruhi's influence), but it definitely isn't different anymore.
The supernatural/sci-fi/fantasy elements of Haruhi are not mere "tack-ons". They're at the very core of the narrative, and they are ever-present in their impact on the narrative. This isn't like, say, the supernatural elements in the Clannad anime.

And Haruhi takes its supernatural/sci-fi/fantasy elements very seriously. They're not there just to spice up the narrative. Anybody who watched the Disappearance movie should be able to recognize that.

Also, the plot in Haruhi is far too important for it to be considered "Slice of Life".

Finally, Haruhi is very different from your standard romcon modern LN adaptation.

Quote:
I don't quite understand what you mean this statement? Do you mean animation studios should be evaluated on how true they remain themselves (genuity) and not what is happening in the anime industry atm?
What I mean is that different animation studios have different strengths and weaknesses. They're not all the same. These different strengths and weaknesses should be considered when determing where you'd like to see that animation studio go next.

With this in mind, KyoAni is noted for being exceptionally good at adaptations. People frequently, and rightly, rave about its impressive fidelity to the source material. So why shouldn't KyoAni continue to do adaptation work? It's an area of considerable strength for KyoAni, as it's something that KyoAni is uniquely good at. I think it would be a terrible shame for that strength to go unused due to overemphasis on anime original work.

Quote:
True, but that's because Kyoani only has attempted two anime originals,
And how do you know that their next anime original will be any better? Just because they use different teams?

The quality of an anime original will be highly influenced by the writing quality of whoever writes it. We see this with Guilty Crown, Gen Urobuchi anime-original works, and Mari Okada anime-original works.

There's no guarantee that KyoAni will manage to procure a great writer for its next anime original work. At least with more Haruhi, we know its source material is being wrote by a very good and meticulous writer.

Quote:
Imagine if Team FMP, Haruhi or Hyouka created an anime original.
Imagine one of those teams adapting an anime-original script wrote by Hiroyuki Yoshino. Not such a pretty picture now, is it?

Quote:
Clannad sure, K-on and Haruhi not so much. K-on S2 was very much the same old (with a bittersweet ending, which I agree was pretty decent)
Come on, you're not being fair here. You told me yourself that you liked K-On S2 more than you did K-On S1.

KyoAni has shown that it is very good at making sequels.
Old 2013-04-24, 22:14   Link #1670
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yet, ironically, Hyouka is quite possibly KyoAni's greatest adaptation and it's quite liberal in changing the source material.
Old 2013-04-24, 22:58   Link #1671
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
The Haruhi narrative is extremely long, develops over a lengthy period of in-canon time, and involves exceptionally high stakes for its characters. That's pretty epic, even in a literal sense, if you ask me.

The supernatural/sci-fi/fantasy elements of Haruhi are not mere "tack-ons". They're at the very core of the narrative, and they are ever-present in their impact on the narrative. This isn't like, say, the supernatural elements in the Clannad anime.

And Haruhi takes its supernatural/sci-fi/fantasy elements very seriously. They're not there just to spice up the narrative. Anybody who watched the Disappearance movie should be able to recognize that.

Also, the plot in Haruhi is far too important for it to be considered "Slice of Life".

Finally, Haruhi is very different from your standard romcon modern LN adaptation.
Compared to "hard-sci fi" epics like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Planetes, Kara no Kyoukai, Gundam, Macross, Shin Sekai/Psycho Pass of last season, Gargantia of this season, I don't think Haruhi compares in anyway in its "sci-fi" epicness (literal sense). I'm sorry, but I never considered Haruhi a true sci-fi series as its primary genre nor was the sci-elements the most interesting. The interesting parts of Haruhi I found were the character interactions, particularily Kyon, who brought up the whole cynical male lead with a heart of gold onto the stage forefront. I saw Haruhi as a slice of life/comedy/drama first then a sci-fi second as a side-element not the other way round. For the other examples it was always sci-fi first. Perhaps that's where we differ in our expectations and evaluations.

Quote:
What I mean is that different animation studios have different strengths and weaknesses. They're not all the same. These different strengths and weaknesses should be considered when determing where you'd like to see that animation studio go next.

With this in mind, KyoAni is noted for being exceptionally good at adaptations. People frequently, and rightly, rave about its impressive fidelity to the source material. So why shouldn't KyoAni continue to do adaptation work? It's an area of considerable strength for KyoAni, as it's something that KyoAni is uniquely good at. I think it would be a terrible shame for that strength to go unused due to overemphasis on anime original work.
Again, you are mistaking what I'm saying. I never said Kyoani should stop doing adaptation work, they should continue it. But wouldn't it be nice to spice up with what some of their competitors are doing with anime originals. How awesome would it be if Kyoani had a Madoka Magica or Tiger and Bunny in their resume?

Quote:
And how do you know that their next anime original will be any better? Just because they use different teams?

The quality of an anime original will be highly influenced by the writing quality of whoever writes it. We see this with Guilty Crown, Gen Urobuchi anime-original works, and Mari Okada anime-original works.

There's no guarantee that KyoAni will manage to procure a great writer for its next anime original work.
You just said it. Quality of an anime original work will depend on the director and writer. If you get actual quality director and writers for a Kyoani show, I don't see how it will turn out anything less than solid. Takemoto or Nagai as director and Orobuchi or Okada as writer (as long as you restrain her ). Combined with Kyoani's great visuals.

Quote:
At least with more Haruhi, we know its source material is being wrote by a very good and meticulous writer.
See 1st para for my opinion on Haruhi.

Quote:
Imagine one of those teams adapting an anime-original script wrote by Hiroyuki Yoshino. Not such a pretty picture now, is it?
Now I admit, you got me there .

Quote:
Come on, you're not being fair here. You told me yourself that you liked K-On S2 more than you did K-On S1.
I did, but it took me 35+ episodes spread out over two seasons before I did. That is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long and that is definitely not worth a recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Yet, ironically, Hyouka is quite possibly KyoAni's greatest adaptation and it's quite liberal in changing the source material.
After letting it settle down, I'll go as far and say that Hyouka might be my favourite Kyoani anime of all time now, definitely beating Clannad After Story, and possibly even FMP:TSR. That show is actually aging very well in my books.
Old 2013-04-24, 23:23   Link #1672
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Compared to "hard-sci fi" epics like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Planetes, Kara no Kyoukai, Gundam, Macross, Shin Sekai/Psycho Pass of last season, Gargantia of this season, I don't think Haruhi compares in anyway in its "sci-fi" epicness (literal sense). I'm sorry, but I never considered Haruhi a true sci-fi series as its primary genre nor was the sci-elements the most interesting. The interesting parts of Haruhi I found were the character interactions, particularily Kyon, who brought up the whole cynical male lead with a heart of gold onto the stage forefront. I saw Haruhi as a slice of life/comedy/drama first then a sci-fi second as a side-element not the other way round. For the other examples it was always sci-fi first. Perhaps that's where we differ in our expectations and evaluations.
I would say that Haruhi blends sci-fi with romcom in much the same way that Nanoha blends magical girl with mecha. In other words, I think the blend is a pretty even mixture and meant to come across as such.

And also like Nanoha (the anime portions, anyway), I think that Haruhi handles this blend exceptionally well, making for a more interesting whole. Tastes and opinions will vary, of course. I can see where you're coming from.

But I just hope nobody thinks that Haruhi is your standard LN romcom adaptation (you know, those LNs with the (in)famously long names ). It's much different than that, imo. However, I'll admit it's not as hardcore in its sci-fi as SSY or Psycho-Pass is.

Quote:
How awesome would it be if Kyoani had a Madoka Magica or Tiger and Bunny in their resume?
Honestly, I think that KyoAni has a pretty awesome resume as it is. The fact that the most awesome parts of its resume are adaptations doesn't make it seem less awesome to me.

Quote:
You just said it. Quality of an anime original work will depend on the director and writer. If you get actual quality director and writers for a Kyoani show, I don't see how it will turn out anything less than solid. Takemoto or Nagai as director and Orobuchi or Okada as writer (as long as you restrain her ). Combined with Kyoani's great visuals.
Sure, but now we're going beyond just anime original vs. adaptation. Now we're getting into specifics.

So I can easily counter with... What if KyoAni adapted the VN G Senjou no Maou? I'm pretty sure you'd be pretty pumped about that.

If KyoAni does great work, I don't particularly care if its anime original, adaptation, sequel, whatever. Well, like I wrote before, I hope they don't give up adaptations completely, because that's something they're uniquely good at. But other than that, I don't really care.

Now I do want to see the anime world in general to continue to do a fair number of anime originals since I think this industry can sometimes become too reliant on source material providers. But if studios like Production I.G. and P.A. Works covers this, I'm not that concerned with how many anime originals other studios come out with.

Anyway, I'll judge each new KyoAni project on a case-by-case basis.
Old 2013-04-24, 23:29   Link #1673
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

After letting it settle down, I'll go as far and say that Hyouka might be my favourite Kyoani anime of all time now, definitely beating Clannad After Story, and possibly even FMP:TSR. That show is actually aging very well in my books.
Me too - it's either that or Kanon.
Old 2013-04-24, 23:41   Link #1674
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Wait what. I knew Hyouka's art style varies wildly from the source material, but I never knew it was a loose adaptation in general. Interesting.

Sometimes I wish J.C. Staff had gotten Haruhi instead of Kyoto Animation. J.C. Staff might not include quite as many artistic flourishes as KyoAni, but one area where I'm sure they would have succeeded is actually telling the damn story. KyoAni seems more intent on being artsy-fartsy and making the Haruhi 'experience' an interesting one than they are interested in actually adapting the Light Novels and letting it stand on its own merits as a story. Sure, it's cool that the repetition of Endless Eight helped you understand the characters' pain better, or that there were those cryptic web animations in 2007 and 2008 hinting at Season 2's Spring 2009 air date, but where does 'actually adapting the remaining seven Light Novels' come in? It seems at times like KyoAni cared about Haruhi more as a gimmick and as a meta experience than an actual story, seeing as the anime basically disappeared into a void with little indication that they ever plan to tell any more of the story.
Old 2013-04-24, 23:56   Link #1675
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I still think Haruhi is Kyoani's crowning achievement, aside from that Endless 8 fiasco. FMP TSR and Hyouka are not that far behind. It really is a damn shame that Kyoani doesn't adapt more of what is their most popular franchise besides K-ON! They basically have a license to print free money and they're not using it.

I imagine that the studio is trying to expand its bases so as to not become dependent on one or two franchises, but there really should be a limit to their shenanigans.

Yes, yes it's Kadokawa who has to give the go ahead, but I'm sure if KyoAni pushed for it they would be able to do it.
Old 2013-04-25, 01:24   Link #1676
Warm Mist

According to that FMP rumour posted some time ago, they don't want to continue doing Haruhi because they consider that they "moved on" after Disappearance.

I don't care if it's true or not (and it's probably not, I wouldn't give much credibility to it even if some of its predictions were spot-on), but I do think similarly. If you disregard the existence of the LNs, Disappearance can absolutely stand as a pretty organic end to the series and there's no narrative obligation to keep going (besides, of course, the fact that more material is available).

Quote:
KyoAni is noted for being exceptionally good at adaptations.
Kyoani is noted for being exceptionally good, period. It comes through in adaptations because there it's very easy to compare the source to the adaptation (and in almost every case an anime produced with Kyoani's quality standards is going to be 100 times better, like it happened with K-On! and Hyouka).
It's not magic, it's the result of 25+ years of careful planning, a solid work philosophy and favourable external circumstances, but virtually nobody in this industry can dream of achieving the sheer quality and consistency Kyoani's productions have.

Quote:
KyoAni's other directors are for the most part really good, except for Ishihara (an otherwise decent director) failing to give impact to Nichijou's gags.
Nichijou is a bit peculiar. I can't see a lot of Ishihara in it, and to me it feels like a cumulative effort where the episode directors were given almost total freedom. Now, I'm not trying to force this, as I don't really know anything about its production, but episodes could feel totally different from each other. And Ishidate being assistant director suggests he had a large influence in the show, especially since he didn't do any animation, and just directed the ED and two episodes.(for the record, I love Nichijou and think that the gags that hit, hit really well).

On the other hand, I thought Chuunibyou was extremely weak. Probably their worst work since Haruhi 2009/Munto, and coming right after the amazing Hyouka it gets even more pronounced. Weak colour palette and art direction, not quite the same level of polish in the animation (Hyouka and Nichijou are so much better it isn't even funny), and the direction was extremely inconsistent. Even people who normally do great jobs produced subpar work. The finale was particularly egregious, and it was done by one of their best directors, Ishidate!
I didn't really care for any of the characters either (Rikka has almost no personality and Kumin is a glorified gimmick, for example), and the story was mediocre at best with some pretty cringeworthy moments (like, say, the entire finale) and a message that was too reductive and heavy-handed for my taste. The comedy in the first half was really good though, I liked episodes 5 and 6 a lot.

So yeah, I also think Takemoto is their best director, but followed very closely by Kigami (Tamako 9 is the best thing to come out of the studio since I don't know, Hyouka 21. Maybe even better.).
Old 2013-04-25, 07:06   Link #1677
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
I don't care if it's true or not (and it's probably not, I wouldn't give much credibility to it even if some of its predictions were spot-on), but I do think similarly. If you disregard the existence of the LNs, Disappearance can absolutely stand as a pretty organic end to the series and there's no narrative obligation to keep going (besides, of course, the fact that more material is available).
And yet there's one area where KyoAni has shown to be particularly weak at and that's story writing. They are pretty good at adapting a full story to animated format but they consistently fail to produce original stories that match the rest of the production. We saw it with Tamako Market, saw it with Chuunibyou and saw it with Munto. All 3 of them either original or substantially rewritten and yet none particularly amazing.

Hyoka is a different case given that Gatou Shouji was pulled in to handle the story (and to punch me in the gut by not being a FMP show ).
Old 2013-04-25, 07:29   Link #1678
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
And yet there's one area where KyoAni has shown to be particularly weak at and that's story writing. They are pretty good at adapting a full story to animated format but they consistently fail to produce original stories that match the rest of the production. We saw it with Tamako Market, saw it with Chuunibyou and saw it with Munto. All 3 of them either original or substantially rewritten and yet none particularly amazing.

Hyoka is a different case given that Gatou Shouji was pulled in to handle the story (and to punch me in the gut by not being a FMP show ).
All of their works have non-employees handling series composition except for the Munto series, so saying Hyouka is a different case is untrue. Chuunibyou had Junki Hanada composing the series/writing the script for each episode and Tamako Market had Reiko Yoshida composing the series and writing most of the scripts with Hanada and Michiko Yokote also assisting on scripts. Everyone I just listed was not a KyoAni employee.

The interesting part about Hyouka is that, outside of Gatoh's episodes, every episode's script was written by a KyoAni employee. Therefore, going by that, your point should be that more scripts should be written by the "KyoAni" entity and they shouldn't outsource them instead.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2013-04-25, 08:07   Link #1679
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
According to that FMP rumour posted some time ago, they don't want to continue doing Haruhi because they consider that they "moved on" after Disappearance.

I don't care if it's true or not (and it's probably not, I wouldn't give much credibility to it even if some of its predictions were spot-on), but I do think similarly. If you disregard the existence of the LNs, Disappearance can absolutely stand as a pretty organic end to the series...
No, it can't. It should be very obvious why it can't, given how the main conflict of the Disappearance movie resolves itself. I'll explain in more detail if necessary, but frankly, I shouldn't have to.

Disappearance is a terrible point to end off on, imo.

And just to show that I'm not a guy who wants more anime of a certain property just because there's more source material of it out there - I'd be completely content if KyoAni makes no more K-On, even though there is K-On manga material still out there that could be adapted into anime, and even though I liked K-On's second season a lot.

Why would I be content about this? Because the K-On movie actually can absolutely stand as an organic end to the series. So can the ending to K-On's second season, imo. The K-On anime feels very solidly "completed" to me, as a narrative, as a story. You could tell more, but you don't have to in order for the story to feel complete.

Quote:
Kyoani is noted for being exceptionally good, period.
But it's particularly noted for two things - Animation quality and strength with adaptation work.

KyoAni is not perfect. It does have its weaknesses. Dextro is right that KyoAni has not shown anywhere near the same consistent strength with their story-writing as they have with most other aspects of their productions.
Old 2013-04-25, 09:46   Link #1680
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post
Nobody remembers FMP - no money = no FMP sequel.
Nuff said.
That explains why FMP Another was a success in Japan.
Closed Thread

Tags
studios