AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-04, 14:46   Link #21
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Some fan fiction can be highly entertaining. Just look at the new "Eva" films.
Old 2011-01-04, 15:20   Link #22
qwertyuiopz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
clannad alternate endings too
Old 2011-01-04, 15:44   Link #23
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I think you can start watching either one of them, BUT if you plan on watching both, you will have to backtrack a lot, because the plot route takes a 180 turn when it comes to the main story. As far as that one goes, it is my opinion that FMA:B explains and develops certain characters in a near-perfect way, and because these characters are also present in the original adaptation, you might be put off by their original interpretation after having seen their roles and character in FMA:B.
Quote:
I don't know what or how much was changed
Enough to become a different show, really...
Old 2011-01-04, 17:58   Link #24
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

FMA: B and forget about the original (though it is very good imo), FMA: B is faster pace and to the point, speaking from the guy who dislikes fillers.
Old 2011-01-04, 17:59   Link #25
kitten320

Would actually be good to hear your opinion about changes if you do watch both seasons.

There aren't that many fillers... it actually gives more deph and better idea on what brothers were actually doing while Brotherhood simply skiped it and left a huge mess in first like 10 episodes. I actually had to wait until there would be more episodes so I could finally watch it all and get to good parts without any more eyesore.
Old 2011-01-04, 18:12   Link #26
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I never said fan fiction was bad, though it's just the best way to some up the second half of the original series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
There aren't that many fillers... it actually gives more deph and better idea on what brothers were actually doing while Brotherhood simply skiped it and left a huge mess in first like 10 episodes. I actually had to wait until there would be more episodes so I could finally watch it all and get to good parts without any more eyesore.
It didn't skip much at all, like a few chapters at that. What was mostly in the first 25 episodes of the original series was anime original material, or adapted from the novels.
Old 2011-01-04, 18:15   Link #27
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Would actually be good to hear your opinion about changes if you do watch both seasons.

I agree with Brotherhood is rushing in the beginning, I would say a few more episoles (3-5 more) are needed to explain the whole background stories and stuffs, but the original has entire episoles for something that is irrelevant to the story. Brotherhood move the plot from point to point rather efficiently and stay on the main plot the entire time. The original is good, Brotherhood is just more efficient at execution. And the remake ending is much better than the anime original

Last edited by kk2extreme; 2011-01-04 at 18:25.
Old 2011-01-04, 18:18   Link #28
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

In my view - YMMV - Brotherhood does enough with the early material to make the entire series work. If you're not a manga reader who knows what they're missing, I think Brotherhood gives you enough to work totally as a stand-alone. That's why I'd go back and watch the original (or read the manga) after watching Brotherhood to the end.
Old 2011-01-04, 20:55   Link #29
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Now I'm going to give you some different advice.

I suggest you watch the following episodes from the original:

1 to 3, and 5 to 9. Maybe also 13 to 19 if you are willing to (which about when the Bortherhood plot and the original anime plot begin to have a major divergence). Not for the plot, mainly just to get to know the characters.

Then watch Brotherhood from the beginning.

The Original anime had better early characterization. But Brotherhood has far better plot and later characterization is also better. This is because Brotherhood follows the manga almost exactly.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-01-04, 22:37   Link #30
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
You don't need to watch the original, just remember that.
You don't need to watch Brotherhood either. Or animesuki. Or anime in general. Heck, why life?

That said, watch both.
Old 2011-01-04, 22:54   Link #31
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

As these replies have shown, just keep in mind there are many who find the first series just as good as Brotherhood...I personally found the ending in the first series more symbolic of the journey, by the end of Brotherhood I was completely burned out by how epic everything was...It was literally so epic that I popped my wad 2-3 eps before the series concluded...The first series also focuses on characters that Brotherhood tosses to the wayside too early and in some cases unwisely...

I'd say the first incarnation does the comedy a little better, has more subtle characterizations, and a stronger overall focus because of the smaller cast, but Brotherhood has some of the most epic episodes of anime individually it's hard not to slobber over some of them (I'm looking at you little dude in the flask origin ep)...The cast is bloated but I gotta say, B'Hood might have the best collection of antagonist//villain characters in shonen, and the action sequences with said characters are revved up a bit with 2010's animation...

So I don't really think it matters which one you start first, you're bound to lean toward the one that captured you're heart initially, but they are both great series IMO with each having strong yet contrasting qualities...
Old 2011-01-05, 10:08   Link #32
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
You don't need to watch Brotherhood either. Or animesuki. Or anime in general. Heck, why life?

That said, watch both.
Now that's one uncalled for post, wouldn't you say? I only said it the original doesn't have to be watched because the OP said "I was planning on only watching Brotherhood if I started with that, but it seems I may need to watch the original as well; I get pulled in easily by melodrama."
Old 2011-01-05, 10:19   Link #33
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

you should watch the first anime first. in the start Brotherhood is very fast paced assuming the watchers already saw the first anime.
Old 2011-01-05, 11:03   Link #34
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
you should watch the first anime first. in the start Brotherhood is very fast paced assuming the watchers already saw the first anime.
It's nothing of the sort. People only say that because there was a first series, though if there wasn't, no complaints about the pacing would be made at all unless you are a manga reader, and that's only because a few chapters were missed. The pacing is easily sorted boy episode 10/11.
Old 2011-01-05, 11:18   Link #35
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Now that's one uncalled for post, wouldn't you say? I only said it the original doesn't have to be watched because the OP said "I was planning on only watching Brotherhood if I started with that, but it seems I may need to watch the original as well; I get pulled in easily by melodrama."
Yes it was. Sorry, I was going through a 102F fever last night. Apparently it's almost as bad as being drunk, but with a headache and a horrible mood.
Old 2011-01-05, 12:39   Link #36
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's nothing of the sort. People only say that because there was a first series, though if there wasn't, no complaints about the pacing would be made at all unless you are a manga reader, and that's only because a few chapters were missed. The pacing is easily sorted boy episode 10/11.
To be fair though, if FMA:B skips a lot of the 'past' perhaps it's not necessary, its still missing out a chunk of story that IS important in the scheme of things in terms of character development, as it explains thier motivations and how they came to be to a much more complete level than '**** happened...now we need to fix it'.
Reading: None at the moment
Old 2011-01-05, 12:40   Link #37
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

This is going dreadfully off topic...and why are we posting spoilers in a thread where the person hasnt watched said series yet???

Thread closed, hopefully the opener got the information they needed...
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Closed Thread

Tags
brotherhood, fma, fma: b, full metal alchemist, remake