AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-10, 12:05   Link #221
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
But what if they change/add/subtract things?
They have been ...generally... keeping close to source material.
Old 2009-10-10, 12:05   Link #222
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
Extremely unlikely.
Seriously, if you have seen every Haruhi episode, you would have noticed that changes were minimal. At the very least, most of the important events necessary for understanding the plot would be unchanged.

Kyoto Animation is a little insane in that regard.
Old 2009-10-10, 12:09   Link #223
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
Very possible, as in my experience with movies is there's the 'Theater' version, and a 'Director's Cut', the latter of which is usually longer than the former, as it includes the cut scenes that never made the theatrical release.

I'd cite Watchmen, but I think Rebuild of EVA 1.11 is a better example as far as anime movies go, with WAY better lighting than 1.00 (seriously, many scenes were just walls of shadow), CGI EVAs that don't stand out like sore thumbs (they were laughable in 1.00), and additional scenes.
Old 2009-10-10, 12:11   Link #224
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
This is KyoAni we're talking about... the only thing that's likely to be dropped is Kyon's narration.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-10-10, 12:26   Link #225
Apache Thunder
Interdimensional Spy

Send a message via MSN to Apache Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to Apache Thunder
It's just not a Haruhi movie/TV episode without Kyon's narration. I don't see Kyoni dropping that. It would be a pretty dumb move on their part if they did. :P

I have cameras in your head!
Old 2009-10-10, 12:30   Link #226
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
This is KyoAni we're talking about... the only thing that's likely to be dropped is Kyon's narration.
But, but... the snark...?

Also, I lol'd at one post starting with 'Extremely unlikely.' and the next with 'Very possible'.

And besides, if KyoAni makes some changes, it'll most likely be a necessary transition. Like they did with Day of Sagitarius, which otherwise would've been EXTREMELY boring to watch.
Old 2009-10-10, 12:39   Link #227
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I agree with this. My experience in comparing novel to anime is that dialogue is virtually identical, but about 25 to 50% of Kyon narration is dropped. So... knowing the English Novel 4 really would be enough to follow a raw movie, in all likelihood. Not that I personally plan to watch it that way (I'll probably wait for the sub, honestly), but I can see somebody taking that approach.
Old 2009-10-10, 12:57   Link #228
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Don't forget the likely possibility of an American (albeit limited) theatrical release of the movie. Haruhi may not have the numerical following of some franchises that have gone the US release route (Bleach, Bebop), but you can bet that if there's a theatrical release in The States, even if it's only subbed, a much higher percentage of the fans will flock to see it than with other franchises.

Of course, I'll have already seen it well before then, as I'll be DLing the RAW the minute it hits the nearest torrent site... ^_^
Old 2009-10-10, 13:08   Link #229
Siggrodoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Don't forget the likely possibility of an American (albeit limited) theatrical release of the movie. Haruhi may not have the numerical following of some franchises that have gone the US release route (Bleach, Bebop), but you can bet that if there's a theatrical release in The States, even if it's only subbed, a much higher percentage of the fans will flock to see it than with other franchises.

Of course, I'll have already seen it well before then, as I'll be DLing the RAW the minute it hits the nearest torrent site... ^_^
If it is distributed by Fathom (which distributed the Death Note movies) I am going to every show in my area. The bad news is, considering the time they take for distribution, we'd be seeing it here around 2011/2012.
Old 2009-10-10, 13:17   Link #230
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Very possible, as in my experience with movies is there's the 'Theater' version, and a 'Director's Cut', the latter of which is usually longer than the former, as it includes the cut scenes that never made the theatrical release.

I'd cite Watchmen, but I think Rebuild of EVA 1.11 is a better example as far as anime movies go, with WAY better lighting than 1.00 (seriously, many scenes were just walls of shadow), CGI EVAs that don't stand out like sore thumbs (they were laughable in 1.00), and additional scenes.
I'd actually be more worried that Kadokawa would intentionally do something like Eva and have multiple versions of disappearance beside the typical movie and DVD clean up versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggrodoth View Post
If it is distributed by Fathom (which distributed the Death Note movies) I am going to every show in my area. The bad news is, considering the time they take for distribution, we'd be seeing it here around 2011/2012.
Actually, it's completely possible we could see it hitting theaters about the time the DVD hits stores in Japan. The ball is really in Kadokawa's court, but it's completely possible we get it while it is still in the theaters in Japan or just after the R2 dvd hits (with our own DVD 3-4 months after).
Old 2009-10-10, 18:19   Link #231
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Intrigue's prologue would probably stay in whatever followup season they decide to make. It will give them an excuse to reuse movie scenes and tie the movie into the TV series. Though knowing KyoAni...they'll just remake the scenes fresh in whatever style of the day they are using.

The characters will be easily introduced at the beginnning as they are in about all the full length light novels.

For translations...I don't know about the other franchises, by the Haruhiist are crazy (awesome) at getting things done. Also consider this...Haruhi-chan came out subbed into English via Kodokawa itself...at about the same time as the normal Youtube episodes came out. This suggests that they are aware of the English language fanbase. What they do about it...who knows. But we'll find out.
Old 2009-10-10, 18:28   Link #232
Tensei
Epitome of Divinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The Intrigue's prologue would probably stay in whatever followup season they decide to make. It will give them an excuse to reuse movie scenes and tie the movie into the TV series. Though knowing KyoAni...they'll just remake the scenes fresh in whatever style of the day they are using.

The characters will be easily introduced at the beginnning as they are in about all the full length light novels.

For translations...I don't know about the other franchises, by the Haruhiist are crazy (awesome) at getting things done. Also consider this...Haruhi-chan came out subbed into English via Kodokawa itself...at about the same time as the normal Youtube episodes came out. This suggests that they are aware of the English language fanbase. What they do about it...who knows. But we'll find out.
well, now that i think about it, the place where i used to buy some Japanese goods has The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi 4 - Sasa no Ha Rhapsody as having English subtitles, but as being a Region 2 DVD, so who knows......has anyone here ordered the DVDs for the re-run yet?if so, can you prove this?
Old 2009-10-10, 18:56   Link #233
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensei View Post
well, now that i think about it, the place where i used to buy some Japanese goods has The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi 4 - Sasa no Ha Rhapsody as having English subtitles, but as being a Region 2 DVD, so who knows......has anyone here ordered the DVDs for the re-run yet?if so, can you prove this?
I have both the Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and Endless Eight I + II DVDs and I can confirm that both have English subtitles for the episodes. None of the special features have the subtitles.
Old 2009-10-10, 18:59   Link #234
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Crazy (awesome) Haruhiists indeed.

While the fanbase might have to wait for the movie's DVD to be released...they might come with subs already. And that's not to say that someone won't try to sub a version of the movie before that.
Old 2009-10-10, 19:36   Link #235
Tensei
Epitome of Divinity

Then if they put subtitles into the movie DVD, all we'll need is a DVD player that can play Region 2 DVDs
Old 2009-10-10, 19:57   Link #236
FlashFumo
Wait, what?

Quote:
Then if they put subtitles into the movie DVD, all we'll need is a DVD player that can play Region 2 DVDs
I live in Europe, so I'm already all set.
Old 2009-10-10, 20:03   Link #237
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFumo View Post
I live in Europe, so I'm already all set.
And DVD player regioning is illegal in Australia, so I am all set as well.
(But I still need a Digital TV. My current TV is so much worse than my computer monitor it's not funny.)
Old 2009-10-10, 20:10   Link #238
Tensei
Epitome of Divinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
And DVD player regioning is illegal in Australia, so I am all set as well.
wait, what? do explain please.
Old 2009-10-10, 20:19   Link #239
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
wait, what? do explain please.
Spoiler for off-topic region comment:

Anyway, I wonder if KyoAni might start using English subtitles more often? They know there is a small market outside Japan that would pay JP prices for the discs, and as long as it doesn't cost them too much to put in subs I don't see why they can't tap into the Western market slightly.
Obviously the price difference means they can't fully compete with Region 1 DVDs, but as long as it turns a profit, why not?
Old 2009-10-10, 20:26   Link #240
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
This was caused by a case where a gamer was sued for modchipping his game console. When told that the gamer accused actually use it to play imported games he paid for, the Judge threw out the case.

Australia is serious about maintaining healthy commercial competition. Regioning, which restricts the consumer from choosing imports of the same product, is thus not legally protected.
That judge is my hero. Too bad I don't live in Australia...

I look forward to this movie with moderate anticipation and healthy skepticism, thus I hope to be pleasantly surprised but won't feel crushed if disappointed. I think that's about the safest outlook one can take at this point...

Tags
science fiction, shounen