AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2019-04-16, 10:37   Link #1
Golden Lily

Playstation 5

I don't think there's thread about Sony's new console, so here it is.

Mark Cerny finally broke silence and we got some news. You can read it in detail here:

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusiv...t-gen-console/

But if you want summary:

- "Playstation 5" isn't its official name, and Mark calls it just a "next-gen console"
- it definitely won't have its premiere in 2019
- Mark says it isn't just your next "PS console", but one that will bring revolution
- "CPU is based on the third generation of AMD Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture." - better graphics and amp in memory system's size and speed
- The GPU is a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi and "will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. " - part about ray tracing is especially impressive, it doesn't just make visuals more stunning, but will have its applications in audio (like enemies hearing your footsteps)
- it will support 8K graphics
- "The AMD chip also includes a custom unit for 3D audio that Cerny thinks will redefine what sound can do in a videogame." - so it seems there's a lot of focus on audio
- it will feature SSD so its hardware will be simply on another level; it will also reduce loading time
- "At the moment, Sony won’t cop to exact details about the SSD (...), but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs." - that's a pretty bold statement, we will see how it turns out

That's mostly hardware as Mark and Sony still aren't ready to talk about software, games and/or price. But he still provided a few details:

- it will still support physical media (THANK GOD), so it won't be just digital
- it will be backward-compatible with PS4 games; yeah it's sad that only ps4 is included here, but (arguably) the most famous titles were remastered on ps4 so it isn't that bad, better than nothing right?

We won't know when new info will appear, but definitely not on E3 as Sony won't be attending.
Golden Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-16, 10:48   Link #2
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Sure, why not. All sounds promising and good.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-16, 12:20   Link #3
rladls2121

So If i want to play uncharted 4, having Ps5 is better than Ps4 Pro?
Because I'm still waiting for Ps4 Pro prices to go down and yet there is a better one replacing it?
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-16, 12:31   Link #4
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
Because I'm still waiting for Ps4 Pro prices to go down and yet there is a better one replacing it?
I've only seen Ps4 pro prices go down as low as $340-$350. Maybe Sony will drop its retail price down later this year? just a guess
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-16, 12:39   Link #5
Golden Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
Yeah, PS5 will be better than PS4 Pro - at least that's what Sony is telling us. But I've played Uncharted 4 on PS4 Pro and it looks absolutely stunning. I have no idea how PS5 is gonna top this.

edit: ofc that's only if your TV supports 4K resolution and HDR, otherwise I wouldn't bother buying Pro at all.

If you have a choice then I would recommend to wait for PS5 release. Buying PS4 Pro at this point wouldn't make much sense, especially since price is still pretty huge.
Old 2019-04-17, 01:22   Link #6
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I'm really interested in the SSD and bunch of developers that are already planning to release stuffs for this console. It's also nice for them not to release it this year since that would help me collect money first before deciding to buy it..

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-08, 08:10   Link #7
Golden Lily

So the end of 2020 Playstation 5 (now official title) will have its premiere.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/stat...iery%2Fzd1cd1d

Now we wait for price drop.
Old 2019-10-18, 05:21   Link #8
DracoS

As with any new console it will likely cost a bomb at launch and have no decent titles, proberly worth waiting till it get its first killer games.
DracoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-15, 20:19   Link #9
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Welp. SONY is skipping E3 2020. A bit of unfounded speculation floating about that this means a delay for the PS5.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-16, 01:18   Link #10
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Welp. SONY is skipping E3 2020. A bit of unfounded speculation floating about that this means a delay for the PS5.
Honestly, that kind of rumor doesn't make much sense to me. All it should really mean is that Sony isn't interested in going to E3 at all anymore. Just throw their own events and information will get out just fine regardless.

But, I do kind of wish they were still going. Nice to have a lot of gaming information just drop over the same few days. But oh well. I kind of expected that they weren't going this year anyways.
Old 2020-01-16, 04:42   Link #11
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Sony skipped E3 2018 and E3 2019, too. Doesn't mean anything.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-17, 10:24   Link #12
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Well I’d like to know if the PS5 is fully compatible with all PS4 games.

Otherwise, I’m set to sell my brother’s PS4 he got from Malaysia and get my own since he moved back to Vancouver.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-18, 11:39   Link #13
Dark Wing

I'm watching the live stream right now and honestly PlayStation should've revealed the console before the TED talk about it's performance...
Old 2020-03-18, 12:25   Link #14
Golden Lily

Yeah, Sony's marketing leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 2020-03-18, 14:12   Link #15
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I don't think it's a bad thing to have technical presentations geared towards developers and such. But...I also agree that should come after you reveal the freaking console.

Thank goodness for Sony that they have amazing exclusives. They can screw up on marketing and just about everything else so long as they have those.
Old 2020-03-18, 14:21   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Lily View Post
- "CPU is based on the third generation of AMD Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture." - better graphics and amp in memory system's size and speed
Hope they have the AMD memory leak fixed before the console is released.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/0...l_leak_report/
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-18, 19:08   Link #17
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Oh, no announced PS3 BC? Not in a hurry to get this one then, especially with it being weaker on GPU performance than the XSX. I can see this having discounts within a year of release, on top of it being cheaper at release. So for me, no need to pay full price when I can wait till a PS5 exclusive game I want releases, especially when my first priority right now is to find a replacement for my dead Phat PS3.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-18, 19:52   Link #18
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Oh, no announced PS3 BC? Not in a hurry to get this one then, especially with it being weaker on GPU performance than the XSX. I can see this having discounts within a year of release, on top of it being cheaper at release. So for me, no need to pay full price when I can wait till a PS5 exclusive game I want releases, especially when my first priority right now is to find a replacement for my dead Phat PS3.
Better BC in general would be nice. I'd never really considered downloading games to my PS4 until recently when I started jonesing for some old PSX/PS2 games, and I was absolutely floored by how much bigger the old games catalog is for PS3 than for PS4... and since my fat PS3 is also dead, I can't play them unless I go buy a PS3, which I simply don't want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I'm watching the live stream right now and honestly PlayStation should've revealed the console before the TED talk about it's performance...
Totally unrelated to this, I don't know why I am so amused seeing your sig pic while I'm listening to really old-school MIDI music from Sailor Moon: Another Story.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-13, 14:15   Link #19
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

https://vimeo.com/417882964

Ok, I take back what I said... SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Seriously speaking though, I think my PS4 hard drive is starting to fail (doesn't boot up like 25% of the time and has a stupid white LED line instead of blue), so I may as well buy a PS5 at launch. :shrug:

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-29, 10:10   Link #20
SidVicious
Anime addict

A Look at the Future of Gaming on PlayStation 5

Join us on Thursday, June 4, at 1:00 pm Pacific Time.

This digital showcase will run for a bit more than an hour and, for the first time, we will all be together virtually experiencing the excitement together. A lack of physical events has given us an amazing opportunity to think differently and bring you on this journey with us, and hopefully, closer than ever before. This is part of our series of PS5 updates and, rest assured, after next week’s showcase, we will still have much to share with you.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/05...playstation-5/

Tags
console, ps5