AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-09-10, 11:45   Link #4001
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
just that extra episode!
Damn thats disappointing im sure they could have managed at least 3 or so. There numerous little incidents in the series that could have warranty a couple of OVA's. Oh well at least we got this one it was fun to watch.
Old 2008-09-10, 11:50   Link #4002
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

yeah, i found this ep more enjoyable than most of the series. more Sakino is always a good thing. anyways, i was hoping to see the movie they made, but at this point in the story, it hadn't been produced yet. lame.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 21:51   Link #4003
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana

Just saw the extra episode and it brought back a lot of memories. Loved seeing all the characters again especially Futami-san. Did not enjoy seeing the frogs or Hiiragi. (Sorry. They're just annoying. I just don't like either of them.) It actually hurt me seeing Kouichi and Yuumi, knowing how everything ended up. The best part of the episode for me was hearing the words "Koware sou de..." and listening to the ED song again. That really brought me back. All in all, a nice, simple episode.
Old 2008-09-11, 03:20   Link #4004
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
That was a rather nice episode in that you really got to see more of Kuryuu's character and that it brought you all the warm feelings that you had for all of the other characters. It helps that this was a pretty good standalone episode and the perspective change provided for a nice implementation of her story. Also got a bit of a chuckle out of seeing those frogs once again, mostly because Kuryuu's reaction to them was absolutely funny somehow when the two girls went over the top. Don't ask me why.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 00:18   Link #4005
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Two thumbs up from me for the OVA episode. But then again, I pretty much worship the ground Kasai walks on, so it ain't too surprising for me.

And oddly enough, when my connection was down for the past 4 days, I had the urge to rewatch KimiKiss again. Colour me surprised when BSS's subs of the OVA came up when my connection was repaired. What a twist of fate indeed. ^_^

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-22, 16:41   Link #4006
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I enjoyed the extra episode, a nice bit of light relief after the way the series ended, but I would rather it had been set chronologically after the series when everything has settled down again rather than mid-series, it would have been nice to have had a glimpse of Kouichi and Mao back to normal.

As for the splitting the lead character thing that was being discussed earlier, I think that was a good way of getting more romantic angles dealt with, if there had been a single boy v. the four main girls then it would have ended up a really superficial harem series I think. With two leads we get double the emotional intensity.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-22, 17:01   Link #4007
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
As for the splitting the lead character thing that was being discussed earlier, I think that was a good way of getting more romantic angles dealt with, if there had been a single boy v. the four main girls then it would have ended up a really superficial harem series I think. With two leads we get double the emotional intensity.
too bad the japanese audience didn't think so!
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 19:49   Link #4008
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
I enjoyed the extra episode, a nice bit of light relief after the way the series ended, but I would rather it had been set chronologically after the series when everything has settled down again rather than mid-series, it would have been nice to have had a glimpse of Kouichi and Mao back to normal.
It would have been nice to see some new stuff set after the series, but as long as we have anything, it is pretty good by itself.

The episode was pretty funny, nostalgic as everyone said. It's always good when some new episode appears after the series ended for a while back.
Old 2008-09-28, 16:27   Link #4009
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I just realised that Sakino('s seiyuu) was Rakka in Haibane Renmei! So that's why she killed herself! The boy she liked chose a cold-hearted girl over her.... Sakino was obviously more hurt than she looked....
...or something...

Old 2008-10-07, 09:01   Link #4010
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Just finished Kimikiss ~ Pure Rouge + OVA.
Spoiler for Impressions:
Eczema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 19:03   Link #4011
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I agree that the stories of some of the minor characters like the teacher didn't go anywhere but I think some identifiable but undeveloped side characters are needed to give the story a realistic feeling and not have an abrupt cutoff beyond the main circle of characters.

I found the imouto figures (Narumi and Nana) annoying too, their silly squeaky voices had me reaching for the volume control whenever they opened their mouths, it would have been better to alot their screentime to the putative Hiiragi/Kuryuu/Shijou triangle instead (well except for the frog romance which was funny, and thankfully the frogs had lower voice tones).

The sudden switcharound with Hiiragi going for Kuryuu when he had been buttering up Shijou for most of the series was indeed rather bizarre, even though he'd had several run-ins with her they never seemed to connect on a personal level, I couldn't help feeling it was just a sop to the game fans who wanted to see Kuryuu brought into the romantic fold. Although I don't think they could realistically have developed those three characters fully it would have been nice to have given more time to them, so that their side story might actually have enough coherence to make some kind of sense. (I know a lot of people loathed Hiiragi though, I disliked him at first too, but his manipulative nature won me over after a while, it was nice to have someone who isn't pure and noble but instead was always putting himself first.)

I thought all these failings were fairly minor though, in that the emotional core of the story simply overwhelmed all the weaknesses. (And for me the biggest weakness was simply the intensely stereotypical main characters, which actually put me off from watching the series at all for over six months: I mean with sporty, posh, brainy, cute, etc it was like the Spice Girls or something! Fortunately I managed to overcome my initial predjudice against the whole setup for just long enough to appreciate that although cardboard in conception, the characters did actually interact convincingly, and after 2-3 episodes I got absorbed into the story).

I agree the animation was inconsistent. JC Staff were certainly employing their reserve team to do a lot of the inbetweening, some of the girls faces changed shape from moment to moment, for instance when Sakino was telling Futami off behind the school she looked like she had a broken nose or something, in fact the profile of her nose actually remained stationary as she raised her head so that the physiognomy of her whole face changed. It seemed that some of the animators were quite incapable of drawing someone's face properly when it was as a tilt!

I like the watercolour style backgrounds though, something JC Staff have used before, but again I don't think they were as good as in their other series, such as Karin which I thought had quite beautifiul backdrops. The music was good though, with upbeat OP and downbeat ED (at least the second one, Wasurenai, which fitted into the storyline perfectly, and really helped those emotional cliffhangers.)

Old 2008-10-12, 04:22   Link #4012
iceyfw

Wow. One thing kept repeating in my head and that was "Good Grief. Can you drag this out any longer?". I skipped the useless parts (LOL mentioning Udon like every 2 episodes) and went straight for the action. Well.. more like I speed forward every episode. And I'm glad I did, so the ending was alright with me.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 01:38   Link #4013
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Obviously, multiple male leads experiment did not work out (financially) and I doubt that any other studio will try this approach again with date-sims anytime soon. The one heroine storyline might have more chances, but probably we will see just more harems (sadly, as i would prefer singular heroine line focus).

Multiple male leads just do not work as the studio has to create another male character(characters) that have problems blending in with other characters and usually stay outcasts through out the series. Plus the male viewers usually feel that if they support one male the other one is 'stealing' girls as in date-sims they are used to rather comfortable situation with a single male lead and if other male characters exist they usually do not have any chances.

JC Staff experiment should probably scare other studios from doing the same again in near future so i would say that it will be harems all the way or (well i hope) a singular heroines story lines , but definitely not multiple male leads.
I had to negative rep you for the broken record way you kept going on in this thread, from beginning to end. Yes, I spent the weekend reading everyone's posts(well I skimmed most of Lego's as he was getting really annoying with his antics. The guy needed to take some Prozac or something). We get that you gamers were disappointed. We get it already. WE GET IT ALREADY! Man...

I'll probably end up buying the game for the PS2, as I do own a Japanese slim PS2 for games that interest me. However, because of all the whiners from the game, I'm less than thrilled about spending the money for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a school romance story. It won't end up like Lamune where no one even remembers it.

Just because it did bad in Japan doesn't effect my original opinion --- it's still one of my favorite shows from last year.

I will be recommending this show to quite a few people I know. It's a pity that this anime isn't going to be profitable in Japan. It's easily one of the favorite romance animes I've seen in 20+ years of anime watching. It took me awhile to find the time to sit down and watch the series, as I had a lot of other things on my to do list, but it was well worth the time and emotional commitment to the characters. There wasn't one character I disliked in the series, and the ending left everyone with a hopeful future, in different ways. It's a shame I wasn't around while the show was airing, as I would have liked to have engaged in some of the debates and character analysis that went on in here, but I wouldn't have wanted to have had to bash Lego's head in Jelly for all of his frantic posts about Kai. Someone would think he had a complex about the sax player.

Oh and I knew how the pairings were going to go very early on, and the signs were there for people to see, if they were willing to open their eyes to them. There was no sudden and abrupt plot twists that didn't make sense. The signs were there, way more coherently than in Canvas 2...

I'd give this show a 9.4/10, and am looking forward to finding more shows of this caliber. It's a pity I couldn't ever get into H&C like some others did. I watched both seasons, and deleted the show soon after, as I just didn't connect with any of the characters.

Thanks for all the reading everyone, it was quite entertaining this weekend. Now I'll have to rest my eyes up for a couple weeks as they've been put through a lot of work thanks to you all.
Old 2008-10-13, 01:54   Link #4014
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Yet, the post that you neg rep was the one stating that it is not doing good in japan in sales. You should have taken other post rather than the one that is stating an obvious truth (if you do not believe - take a look at the sales numbers this year, you will see Kimikiss near the end of that list).

Besides I never said that the anime is bad. I just said that it was a financial failure and that they should have done it the other way to to avoid that (obviously no one wants to work just for art alone, but want make money from it). Since usually I hate harems, I thought it being done in manga-way would be better rather than creating tow hero's and rather clichéd love-triangles.

I don't think that Kimikiss was a bad anime as such (much better than lets say ZnT II or III), yet I think it was a failure. It may sound contradictorily but it really isn't.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2008-10-13 at 02:20.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 07:10   Link #4015
golthin

Quote:
Yet, the post that you neg rep was the one stating that it is not doing good in japan in sales. You should have taken other post rather than the one that is stating an obvious truth (if you do not believe - take a look at the sales numbers this year, you will see Kimikiss near the end of that list).

Besides I never said that the anime is bad. I just said that it was a financial failure and that they should have done it the other way to to avoid that (obviously no one wants to work just for art alone, but want make money from it). Since usually I hate harems, I thought it being done in manga-way would be better rather than creating tow hero's and rather clichéd love-triangles.

I don't think that Kimikiss was a bad anime as such (much better than lets say ZnT II or III), yet I think it was a failure. It may sound contradictorily but it really isn't.
you do know that Jc staff makes a profit regardless whether the show does well or not. the people that don't profit are the one that only get money from the DVD sales. Jc staff might get a cut from the DVD sales and their lost was just not getting HUGE extra profits from the royalties to the DVD sales. Now, Kimikiss merchandise got a huge increase in sales thanks to the show.
(i heard the game re-release sold 40k Extra copies and that was most likely thanks to the buss from the Show)
Old 2008-10-13, 07:26   Link #4016
Darknemo2000

golthin, Kimikiss merchandise always sold well, before and after the anime. Game was always popular, in a sense kimikiss did its own job, everyone heard that it was worser than the original so decided to look up for the original. Same thing like with ZnT anime and novels.

However, Kimikiss as an anime was a failure. As merchandise - it was always a success before and after the anime, I do not think anime had that much of influence in those numbers. Kimikiss was just way too popular to begin with.
Old 2008-10-13, 07:30   Link #4017
Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I had to negative rep you for the broken record way you kept going on in this thread, from beginning to end. Yes, I spent the weekend reading everyone's posts(well I skimmed most of Lego's as he was getting really annoying with his antics. The guy needed to take some Prozac or something). We get that you gamers were disappointed. We get it already. WE GET IT ALREADY! Man...
It's as good a time as any to post, especially when referenced by name. Holy crap did I loose myself in posting so damn much. It's something that I find mortally embarrassing just looking at it. I could make excuses for having a tough time at the time, but nah, I turned into an annoying asshole who posted five paragraph posts over and over and ended up leaving that type of impression on people. Still when it comes to certain shows I get passionate, it's what I do. Couple that with some tough times and you get that as a result.

Still golthin and Westlo told me to come post over here about the series, which I did originally, so aside from the warning from I forget which moderator no one said anything to me about it aside from you telling me I need prozac. I wish someone would just give me the straight deal instead of checking back to find wonderful comments like that.

Ugh . It's still something that bothers me to this day though and I'd apologize to everyone if I could, but thats something that can't be done after the fact. Still we all have our vices and I guess posting tons of times about a show passionately(perhaps annoyingly to some) got ahold of me instead of just letting those emotions play normally.

Last edited by Lego; 2008-11-03 at 20:42.
Lego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 11:22   Link #4018
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
golthin, Kimikiss merchandise always sold well, before and after the anime. Game was always popular, in a sense kimikiss did its own job, everyone heard that it was worser than the original so decided to look up for the original. Same thing like with ZnT anime and novels.

However, Kimikiss as an anime was a failure. As merchandise - it was always a success before and after the anime, I do not think anime had that much of influence in those numbers. Kimikiss was just way too popular to begin with.
Kimikiss the anime ... was a *commercial* failure (i.e. did not sell well) because it put the core fans outside of their comfortable safe zone. I'll skip the psychoanalysis of why....
Artistically, all I can say is that I appreciated the anime adapters trying to do something unusual and take this fare outside of its "usual plodding rut" that most game adaptations take. Its just unfortunate that the japanese domestic fans in this case were so obsessively fragile o.O

Artistically, KKPR is a keeper for me simply because it executed an interesting ensemble drama rather than the usual "by the numbers" harem fantasy. Sadly, it is unlikely to get an R1 distribution even though it probably would do much better in the US for the exact same reason it did so poorly in Japan.
Old 2008-10-13, 11:45   Link #4019
Darknemo2000

Vexx, remember that Kimikiss Manga Various Heroines is the most popular from all Kimikiss mangas, yet is the only one that doenst go in a harem way...

This means taht fans can not be so fragile after all. They can deal a game adaptation not being a harem, yet it is important how the story portrayed...

The main thing that killed Kimikiss was... two heroe's. For a series that had only one that was suicidal due to self-identification of viewers...but lets leave the psychoanalysis for the later.

My main point is that the fragility may not lie in tha actual genre (not being a harem etc.) but rather in self-identification and Kimikiss took too far here.

The thing is - they were used to identify themselves with the main Kimikiss hero Kouichi, but now they threw in another and that was killer as it actually called identification problems and even anger towards the next male lead...

More so, that character gets the most popular girl - Eriko... So they went against it...

In fact I would go as far as to say that if the love triangle of Kuochi would have been MaoxErikoXKouchi then the series would have been much more popular, since the two twice as popular girls than the rest of the girls together would be around the guy they identify with... The other one could have a harem, die or whatever...

JC STaff decided that fans wanted happy ending for the two most popular girls...and were wrong... Creating another male character to provide that turned out to be a real killer...

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2008-10-13 at 11:57.
Old 2008-10-13, 12:14   Link #4020
golthin

Quote:
Vexx, remember that Kimikiss Manga Various Heroines is the most popular from all Kimikiss mangas, yet is the only one that doenst go in a harem way...

This means taht fans can not be so fragile after all. They can deal a game adaptation not being a harem, yet it is important how the story portrayed...

The main thing that killed Kimikiss was... two heroe's. For a series that had only one that was suicidal due to self-identification of viewers...but lets leave the psychoanalysis for the later.

My main point is that the fragility may not lie in tha actual genre (not being a harem etc.) but rather in self-identification and Kimikiss took too far here.

The thing is - they were used to identify themselves with the main Kimikiss hero Kouichi, but now they threw in another and that was killer as it actually called identification problems and even anger towards the next male lead...

More so, that character gets the most popular girl - Eriko... So they went against it...

In fact I would go as far as to say that if the love triangle of Kuochi would have been MaoxErikoXKouchi then the series would have been much more popular, since the two twice as popular girls than the rest of the girls together would be around the guy they identify with... The other one could have a harem, die or whatever...

JC STaff decided that fans wanted happy ending for the two most popular girls...and were wrong... Creating another male character to provide that turned out to be a real killer...
The show would have done much better if they had just gone with a Various Heroines formula and if they had saved the story of kimikiss for an original anime with original characters. The story that they used with kimikiss was an awesome story and they really didn't need the "kimikiss" name to carry it. That was the big mistake, they had the formula for one the biggest succes in anime, an incredible plot. If they were worry about being accused of stealing from the source material, they could still have done it by just paying for the use ofit without using the kimikiss name. They just didn't think that the fans were going to be so unforgiven.

Tags
bishoujo, drama, enterbrain, j.c. staff, romance, seinen, shounen