AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2008-01-01, 20:23   Link #41
yepimasissy

I Second "Lamune" best romance i have seen so far for me it was really sweet.
Hana yori dango is also really good i didnt so much like the anime but the live action was good had a great ending,curently reading the manga and that is also better then the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog23 View Post
If you want to laugh your brains out, like in School Rumble, try Seto no Hanayome. Lol watch it and prepare to feel sorry for the male lead, Nagasumi. It starts out with a bang and ends with a bang. Great series, with light drama, loads of comedy and romance. It is about a guy who is forced to marry a mermaid with a "yakuza" family. Sounds lame, but it is hilarious. I garantee that you'll laugh in the first episode.

Hanbun no Tsuki something something for pure romance/drama, no comedy though.
i second seto this series had me hooked after i saw the incident at the end of the festival in the first few eps.
hanbun had comedy its just that it was "ha ha" comedy and not "LOL" comedy

Last edited by yepimasissy; 2008-01-01 at 20:37.
yepimasissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-03, 03:59   Link #42
hydraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Onegai Teacher - happy ending
Midori no Hibi - happy ending
Elfen Lied - horror anime, with romantic comedy elements mixed in... ending is kinda sad
Ranma 1/2 - romatic harem comedy with lots of action and silliness. Sort of frustrating in the same way as School Rumble because the main couple never seems to progress. Still good though (at least the first few seasons)

You would probably like Parallel (manga). There's also a similar, longer manga by the same author called Pastel. That one's kind of annoying though because it's taking forever for the coupe to get together.
LOL...you are calling elfen lied a HORROR anime? if anything, it is an action/romance/drama...there is nothing scary about it....the anime is about a naturally mutated human who uses her vectors (invisible arms) to kick ass...nothing horror about it!
hydraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 07:43   Link #43
Wankah

Inukami-A great anime romance/silly comedy.
Zero no tsukaimi-A great anime nice and long 3 seasons its a must see.
Girls Bravo-Not much romance more of a comedy.
Wankah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 15:59   Link #44
bluesmurf13

Here's a couple that I've really liked so far--sorry if some have already been mentioned!
-Note: a couple of these are mainly just romance animes and end up lacking comedy...

Ef: a Tale of Memories (series w/sequel)
- A truly beautiful and moving anime. The visual imagery brilliantly captured the mood of each scene, and its surreality added another great kick. However, what truly hooked me was the character development and the anime's depiction of the two main heroines' plights. The story is a sad and heartmoving one which really gripped me. I don't want to spoil it for people, so I won't go too far into detail, but the anime does a great job of showing how each character deals with his/her problems, and the storyline is ingenious, dramatic, sweet--it is as if the creators poured out their souls over this wonderful anime. The only anime so far to have made me cry (and I'm a guy XD)

5 Centimeters per Second (movie w/3 parts)
-This anime is just beautiful. Period. Oh yeah, and it has a heart-wrenching storyline that is sure to make anyone cry (I'm ashamed to say that I haven't yet finished it...I know, I'm a failure...T-T) From what I've seen so far though, it's one of the best animes ever.

4. Clannad (series w/sequel)
-Mostly a drama/romance anime. The artwork is just beautiful, and the storyline is split up into arcs revolving around the protagonists (most of whom are females XD) In this anime, there are many scenes and underlying stories which intrigued me and led to the formation of an army of question marks above my head. However, the anime goes on to answer the questions through some of the most dramatic stories I have seen in all of anime. In addition, this anime is a great, great slice-of-life anime full of hilarious moments. Although many animes have the crazy, violent chick who goes around instilling men with fear and distress, Clannad does the best job I have seen so far.

5. Fruits Basket (series)
-This anime was, I'm sorry to say, rather cliche almost ALL THE TIME. In addition, the main character, Tohru Honda, is simple to the point of being naive. On top of this, the anime contains scenes where the two male protagonists SPARKLE! YES, SPARKLE with a bunch of colorful bubbles floating around. GRRRR...me being a guy, this just drove me crazy. At one point I wanted to hunt down the anime producers and punish them cruelly with a wedgie. Sighz* However, there was something about this anime that made me...well...like it...a lot. It was just so innocent and portrayed many characters who reminded me of people in real life. More importantly, it painted characters who were just so nice that I couldn't help but root them on throughout the anime. Characters like Chigure just cracked me up, and it had its share of comedic scenes. Moreover, I feel that this anime has a meaningful message: Enjoy life, be happy, help others, goodness dwells in everyone. All in all, Fruits Basket was cute, dramatic at times, and fun.

Fullmetal Panic: Fumoffu (series)
-Everyone needs a little laugh once in a while. Some, however, suffer from chronic-lack-of-comedy-or-fun-in-life-syndrome. To these people, I would first say, "Sorry, but you're kinda screwed." And then I would crack up at having caused a great deal of distress, and say, "Just kidding! There's FULLMETAL PANIC: FUMOFFU!" If you watch this anime and do not fall over laughing, then you are not human--please leave us earthlings alone XD. But seriously, this anime is hilarious.

And some random ones XD:
Special A
School Rumble
Rosario + Vampire
To Love-Ru
Love Hina
Air
Kanon
Sola
bluesmurf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 21:30   Link #45
Luthien

I would recommend skip beat. It's quite faithful to the manga, and it is up to episode 23 at the moment. Personally I reckon the manga's better, but the anime is not too bad. The romance is more subtle though, but there definitely is some comedy there!

I agree fullmetal panic is totally hilarious!
Luthien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 13:37   Link #46
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Let's update this list with...
Toradora!

And another vote for Clannad - watch both seasons. The overarching theme is actually family rather than romance, but that makes it all the more heartwarming.
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 20:12   Link #47
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

All the recommendations I've seen so far and only one brief mention of Boys Over Flowers? It's one of the best and most definitive romance anime series out there. Plenty of drama and comedy to boot. The art is pretty dated, but that's really part of the series' charm IMHO. It's a must-see.

In a similar vein I'd also recommend Kodocha. It's much heavier on the comedy but still manages a fair bit of drama and romance. It's like a lighter version of Boys Over Flowers really.

Clannad and Toradora! already have multiple nods in the thread so I'll merely second those suggestions from more current series.

Shuffle! is a personal favorite of mine, but it is fanservice-heavy so if you're averse to that kind of thing then it may not be for you.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 21:10   Link #48
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Kanon - Probably one of the best Romance-Drama adaptations (after Clannad ~After Story~) coupled with some humor, tear-jerking drama and great animation... and who doesn't like snow? Also, you cannot forget all those catchphases, can you?

Clannad and Clannad ~After Story~: Probably the best that Key and Kyoto Animation did so far. Clannad in the first season and first 9 episodes are filled with comedy mixed with melodrama (although the second half of After Story gets more dramatic). Clannad is more than a romance story, it focuses on family matters as well. I suggest checking out After Story after watching the first season because the story gets even better.

Also, I suggest watching Air too, but I can't make a recommendation since I haven't watch that series yet. I also suggest checking out Ouran Host Club, since it has good comedy.

However, I don't recommend Fruit Basket, since it's probably one of the most overrated romance dramas I seen and the pacing is slow.
Old 2009-03-21, 09:51   Link #49
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
In a similar vein I'd also recommend Kodocha. It's much heavier on the comedy but still manages a fair bit of drama and romance. It's like a lighter version of Boys Over Flowers really.
Personally, I felt that the comedy in the Kodocha anime was too overdone as to be distracting. Sana's voice was nothing short of a constant annoyance. However, I wholeheartedly recommend the Kodocha manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Also, I suggest watching Air too, but I can't make a recommendation since I haven't watch that series yet. I also suggest checking out Ouran Host Club, since it has good comedy.
Air has a romance element, a heavy serving of drama, and a small dose of comedy. As with Clannad, the main theme is family, but unlike Clannad, Air only contains implied romance. It's one of my favourite anime series and I'd recommend it... but not as a romantic comedy.

Quote:
However, I don't recommend Fruit Basket, since it's probably one of the most overrated romance dramas I seen and the pacing is slow.
Indeed. Besides, the Fruits Basket anime is too obviously aimed at an audience of pre-teen girls. It's also heavy on moralising. On the other hand, the manga matured with its readership and contains some very dark, poignant themes. It also has a proper ending (the anime covers only 25~30% of the manga storyline). So as with Kodocha, I'd recommend the Fruits Basket manga but not the anime.
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 04:55   Link #50
woe joy

From Far Away - brilliant love, action and adventure story!
woe joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 13:33   Link #51
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Maison Ikkoku - From the 80's, but delivers in all three aspects.
This. Maison Ikkoku is easily the best Romantic Comedy in anime- although it's aimed more at college aged viewers

Kimagure Orange Road is another classic, and aimed at younger viewers
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 13:40   Link #52
clarkamf

xD..

i strongly recomend you to watch LOVELY COMPLEX this is a good comedy romance anime xD
clarkamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 13:49   Link #53
clarkamf

i forgot to mention another anime asu no yoichi is good too xD
clarkamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 12:16   Link #54
Blaqstarr

A couple of months back, a friend of mine recommended a show called Nana. He isn’t the type of anime fan to settle for conventional series like Naruto or Bleach, although he enjoyed the first seasons of the first. When I got home that day, I plugged the USB disk and watched the first episode. My first impression was: “Great… a show about a completely shallow innocent girl, and the emo rockstar,oposite of the other”.

After watching 47 episodes of Nana, in only three days, I’m certain that it marked me far more than any other Anime previously did. I greatly enjoyed Honey and Clover, it’s a well thought Anime. I also enjoyed Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien more than any other. But those two stories are somewhat distant from the real world. Although the things that afflict them are real, the situation that the cast is in is simply unconventional, and there’s this haze of fiction around it. Nana has none of it.

The characters are all flawed, in one way or another. They all deal with their issues in their own manners. They are all different, yet, they’re also incredibly similar in some ways.

If you’re looking for a sugar-coated love story, you’ll find none of that here, although the first episodes might misslead you to think so.

The show is about two girls, with the same first name (I’ll let you guess what that name is). The dream of the first one, who is nicknamed “Hachiko”, is simply to find happiness and become independent. The second one, is much more ambitious, and aims to become a famous singer with her hometown punk-rock group.

Although they don’t acknowledge it at first, the times that they spend together become the happiest in their lives. But fate eventually takes it’s toll, and destiny drives them apart from each other. Despite being separated, I love how they always silently talk to each other during the beginning and ending of each episode.

Usually every episode will start with “Hey Nana…” followed by a thought about the past, or with a rhetorical question on how to make a decision.

The music in the story is simply perfect. There are many dramatic moments during the story, and although one of the characters is very emotional and sensible, the music that accompanies the scene is always incredibly adequate. It’s great to see the difference between the style of their music, and their personalities. The contrast is almost as good as Black and White.

An interesting thought came across while I was writing this review: Who should watch Nana?

And after giving it a bit of thought, I realized that everyone should watch it. Even if they don’t like Anime. The story puts all soap operas, and even great American series to shame. Young teenagers and grownups alike could certainly enjoy this story, and learn something from it. Specially older people that sometimes have trouble understanding what’s going through a young person’s mind.

In any case, I’ve said enough. If there’s one Anime I’d recommend anyone and everyone to watch, Nana would be it. And yes, I loved it that much.
Blaqstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 23:25   Link #55
Takasu
I'll be the dragon~

Toradora! --> Two thumbs up! Really worthwhile.

It has a happy ending and the scenario is very close to reality.
The story is touching and it can really happen to real life provided that the feelings and intentions are pure.
This won't let you down, I tell you.

The soundtrack and musical score is great too.
Takasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 10:04   Link #56
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraj View Post
LOL...you are calling elfen lied a HORROR anime? if anything, it is an action/romance/drama...there is nothing scary about it....the anime is about a naturally mutated human who uses her vectors (invisible arms) to kick ass...nothing horror about it!
Umm... yes it is horror.

It has massive murder and mayhem.

It's a horror sci-fi mixed with romantic slice of life. It includes issues such as sexual abuse.

Mood whiplash overload.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 10:12   Link #57
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I also strongly recommend Clannad and Toradora!
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 14:18   Link #58
becky0311

Kimikiss Pure Rouge - it has plenty of drama and romance and some comedy too. its basically about how the protagonist and his two longtime friends struggle to find love
Lovely Complex - has more comedy than drama but its still great to watch. its about two extreme opposites in appearance fall for one another, it'll have you cracking up one moment, frustrated the next, then finally relieved.

I dont know if i helped or not but =)
becky0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 15:24   Link #59
Theowne
耳をすませば

Maison Ikkoku, Touch, and Honey and Clover. Whisper of the Heart is a magnificent romance/drama but is not a comedy.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 16:18   Link #60
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I would like to add another series...

Air TV and Air in Summer - Although Air does not have a happy ending as most people hope for, Air in Summer will help clear the confusion with the Anime since the Anime didn't show the last arc (which is basically almost the same as the first arc, but in the crow's point of view). Air may not be as good as later Kyoani/Key adaptations like Kanon and Clannad which have better animation and more of the content adapted, but still have good animation considering the time it was made. Air have the same vibes of the both mentioned with alot of supernatural and drama aspects. You may find that the other two arcs beside Misuzu's to be somewhat abridged (considering the length of the series), but it should hit the main points of their stories.

Tags
drama, romantic comedy