AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-04-02, 04:45   Link #1
Fandal

I like 2D Girls

I was watching a rather famous anime and a quote the main character said something like that. It was meant as a funny joke but it got me thinking. This is something I really want to know more about but I don't know who to ask.

A lot of girls in (non-shojo) anime get a long really well with each other. They compete, yes, but they do it in a way where they support and are friendly with each other. I don't know how to explain it, but they get along quite well even with they disagree or are going after one guy. True, it's idealistic to expect people in real life to get along that well with each other, but I at least expect people to try and get a long with each other.

Well, that was before I started to think about real life - especially high school. Before I go on, this isn't everyone. It may not even represent the majority, but I know so many girls like this that I could spend hours telling you about each one.

I'm not sure how to explain it, but I get this weird feeling that a lot of girls in real life hate each other. When I started reading a shojo manga recently, it gave me back that feeling. Hate is a strong word (especially over trivial stuff), but I get this vibe thats what's happening. No trying to get along with each other. No, let's compete really hard over that thing and after we're done "let's go out and have a beer (or dinner since it's HS)"!

Of course, this isn't everyone - probably only a minority, but I just don't know. I feel confused. I'm not sure what I'm seeing, but it's something I don't see happen with 2D girls (or even most girls I have as friends - but their weird like me ;p They like watching anime and doing goofy stuff that makes everyone laugh and have fun.).

Last edited by Fandal; 2009-04-02 at 04:58.
Fandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 05:16   Link #2
Solafighter
Hige

"I like 2 D Girls!"

Hayate from Hayate no Gotoku did say that.
Old 2009-04-02, 06:06   Link #3
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

They cost far less money to maintain than 3D ones.
Old 2009-04-02, 06:14   Link #4
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

I can't tell if you're spinning this from an angle of comparing 2D girls in shounen manga to girls in shoujo manga and girls in real life, or if you're making a statement about how you like 2D girls because real girls have similar traits to girls in shoujo manga, a genre which, by association, you would dislike.

But one thing that does stand out when reading shoujo manga is the emphasis on internal emotion, and the depiction on how those emotions provide character-driven plot. Comapred to the often action and event-driven storytelling style of many popular shounen manga, shoujo manga certainly has a different emphasis on different emotions that a guy may not be too familiar dealing with.

As for real girls, well... Don't ask me. :P
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 06:19   Link #5
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Well I thought, it is obvious that girls hate each other. Why do you think there never was a female president?(eventhough all the women have voting rights) In the work field. Girls tend to see each other as rivals rather then allies and then complain about men who help each other out.

Though this is partly written as a joke, theres some truth in it. :O
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 07:52   Link #6
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Well I thought, it is obvious that girls hate each other. Why do you think there never was a female president?(eventhough all the women have voting rights) In the work field. Girls tend to see each other as rivals rather then allies and then complain about men who help each other out.

Though this is partly written as a joke, theres some truth in it. :O
*went to an all girls high school*

I came out hating my own gender, I missed guys.
Girls are manipulative, two faced, sniping, conniving, bitch, whiny, backstabbing bitches when in packs and I never associated myself with a group.
Entered 6th form, took computing, was 3 girls and 25 boys at age 16/17 = heaven for me.
In terms of power and position, if the woman more than proves herself capable, i've no ill will towards her, i'd vote or support her.
What i hate is groups of girls all huddled together, then i'm as suspcious as any guy would be.

Plus, I'm a tomboy of sorts and almost all of my hobbies are 99.9% male dominated
Aside from being one, and experiencing same emotions as a woman, i typically don't have anything in common with most hobby wise, makes ice breaking a tricky issue...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 08:35   Link #7
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandal
When I started reading a shojo manga recently, it gave me back that feeling.
Dude, stop right there. *Generic* shoujo manga girls are absolutely horrendous bitches, not true representatives of the female gender; while you can no doubt find real life to be equally unpleasant at times, I tend to think that taking all that stuff at face value will make anyone depressed. Not to mention, err, aren't they also 2D?

Besides, "2D girls" in your context is just another way of saying I want a fantasy you know. Not that there's a problem with fantasy, everybody has them after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Well I thought, it is obvious that girls hate each other. Why do you think there never was a female president?(eventhough all the women have voting rights)
Don't you live next to a country with a female Chancellor?

And another country...close to you (bah, just skip that little rebellious place called Belgium) almost elected a rather different kind of woman to their leadership position a few years ago no less.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 08:59   Link #8
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

we i live in a female ruled country and hell it like hell in a way but also heaven in a way

but really i have a sister who is not on any group or female packs but she has a lot of female friends

i thin its all in the exposure and influence since she has been in good influence and well endowed.. er i mean has a more common knowledge about girly stuff and best of all she is not transparent to here surrounding

and i love her when she is all clingy to me
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 10:10   Link #9
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
"I like 2 D Girls!"

Hayate from Hayate no Gotoku did say that.
You spoiled a funny moment for me . Nah jk.

As for something similar, I totally lol'd when Kohsaka said '' I prefer 2D '' on Genshiken. ( Though it was dream but lol.. )

As for the main topic.. I really don't have anything to say, except that I agree with you lol..
Old 2009-04-02, 10:17   Link #10
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Don't you live next to a country with a female Chancellor?
Yeah, but USA makes a better example, when talking about women hating each other.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 11:47   Link #11
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I suppose when you talk about 2D girls you are probably referring to the girls showed in many male oriented anime (expecially those based on eroge). But those girls are usually very idealized and not only in their physical appearances. And they are not idealized as soulless sex toys, they are actually very good persons, and i mean they actually care about others's feelings, they'd never do anything that would hurt others (except for gag purposes) and they don't seem to have the slightest idea of what a "flame war" is.
This is usually the stereotyped girl's personality that the main male teenage japanese audience is fond of.

Reality is quite different from that, but that's only to be expected.

On the other side the males represented on girl oriented anime are very sensitive persons, intelligent, good at sports, absolutely not violent, non aggressive, and very confident. They are calm, relaxed, they don't drool in front of sexy girls, they don't use foul language.

Now if i look at all this and try to make a comparison with reality i'm gonna cry

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 12:47   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I suppose when you talk about 2D girls you are probably referring to the girls showed in many male oriented anime (expecially those based on eroge). But those girls are usually very idealized and not only in their physical appearances. And they are not idealized as soulless sex toys, they are actually very good persons, and i mean they actually care about others's feelings, they'd never do anything that would hurt others (except for gag purposes) and they don't seem to have the slightest idea of what a "flame war" is.
This is usually the stereotyped girl's personality that the main male teenage japanese audience is fond of.

Reality is quite different from that, but that's only to be expected.

On the other side the males represented on girl oriented anime are very sensitive persons, intelligent, good at sports, absolutely not violent, non aggressive, and very confident. They are calm, relaxed, they don't drool in front of sexy girls, they don't use foul language.

Now if i look at all this and try to make a comparison with reality i'm gonna cry
Quoted for Great Truth....

But a lot depends on the subculture you're standing in. There are cliques where the girls are just as nasty as Mystique describes, and there are cliques where the girls actually do tend to be cooperative, nice, yadayada. The main difference I've found is that the latter group is GOING SOMEWHERE. They have plans, they plan to BE SOMETHING. They understand the win-win social equation. The former group seems much more concerned with pack status, pecking order, punishing anyone who doesn't conform, etc. In other words, energy to waste on crap-level self-corrosive activity.

Volunteering and coaching in high school, I saw both kinds of behaviors. So I guess I'm saying that if all the girls one sees are the unpleasant kind - maybe you're standing near the wrong group of girls.

Same goes for guys... the ones a girl might want to be around usually have direction in life or goals. They're not spending all their time pumping up the macho shithead angles.
Old 2009-04-03, 06:55   Link #13
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Quoted for Great Truth....

But a lot depends on the subculture you're standing in. There are cliques where the girls are just as nasty as Mystique describes, and there are cliques where the girls actually do tend to be cooperative, nice, yadayada. The main difference I've found is that the latter group is GOING SOMEWHERE. They have plans, they plan to BE SOMETHING. They understand the win-win social equation. The former group seems much more concerned with pack status, pecking order, punishing anyone who doesn't conform, etc. In other words, energy to waste on crap-level self-corrosive activity.

Volunteering and coaching in high school, I saw both kinds of behaviors. So I guess I'm saying that if all the girls one sees are the unpleasant kind - maybe you're standing near the wrong group of girls.

Same goes for guys... the ones a girl might want to be around usually have direction in life or goals. They're not spending all their time pumping up the macho shithead angles.
Cookie for some great advice.
I wasn't sure and still am a bit confuzzled as to the point of this thread, what is the OP asking precisely?
Simply 'are girls evil to each other in real life, more than is typically portrayed in *reads up* non shojo...

The thing is... why are you trying to make comparisions between animated fantasy and reality? Anime is created from the minds of a mangaka or a writer who has the luxury of definining all characters involved for whatever message they wanna portray in a story.

Reality, has no rules.
You'd have to dig around society more to see a variety of women in various situations and cultures to get a taste/feel of what it's like out there. We all have typical traits (good and bad) that are known, but each person is different, we're individuals.
If you wanted a general opinion/idea on girls and offline doesn't give you that much opportunity, then how about the female bunch online?
(Although yes, since we all have 'fronts' to a degree here, it doesn't accurately portray anything)

And even then, if you were basing this of really well written slice of life stories, it's reflected of the Japanese society not our own, so it's kinda a vague question you're asking, i wonder...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 09:18   Link #14
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Newsflash:

Anime Girls aren't real!

We wish they were, but they aren't

*goes to cry in a corner*
Old 2009-04-03, 10:17   Link #15
KimmyChan

2D will always be better than 3D when it comes to anime/animation in my eyes that's for sure
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 10:32   Link #16
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
Newsflash:

Anime Girls aren't real!

Except for yandere girls. They're all too real.
Old 2009-04-03, 12:28   Link #17
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

The day the holodeck is invented, I'll graduate 2D girls.

...Of course, I'd be graduating from life all together, and never coming outta that room.
Old 2009-04-03, 12:48   Link #18
Shadow Kira01

I suppose that 2D girls imply that they are females from either the world of anime or the world of visual novels. However, I might not be entirely correct on this definition though.

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-04-03 at 12:50. Reason: fixed typo and clarified the definition.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 16:44   Link #19
TheZap
Mod Magnet XD

You Really Have A Point, Usually In Animes Or Manga They Are Always Friendly To Eachother And Ect.
Real Girls Can Be bst Friends One Day And Hate Eachother The Next...
You Can Never Find A Girl Like The Ones In Anime
This Is Also Very Similar To One Of My Comments, Why Do Certain Anime Or Manga Girls Never Get A Date, If I Knew Them I Would Be Interested ASAP,
its just how Anime and Manga works, u can nver find ppl as awesome as the characters :\
TheZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 16:54   Link #20
klowny
OH NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
Newsflash:

Anime Girls aren't real!

They would be TOO perfect which would make me paranoid
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote