Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-03-28, 21:56   Link #161
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

My food life consists of:
1) Rice
2) Asian noodles of all kinds (udon, thin Chinese noodles, ramen, lamian)
3) Curry
4) Beef stew
5) Korokke and Tonkatsu
6) Potato chips

And everything I eat must include the above. Everything else is sidelined and not a meal.

By the way, Japanese Nissin cup noodles ftw. They're bloody out of their minds when they made the American varieties. Utter rubbish.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 08:56   Link #162
Desiree Disaster
Keiichi Fangirl ♥

I've recently become a major fan of bento box lunches, and found a lovely site full of bento recipies. Some are simple, some are hard, all that I've tried are delicious!

Link here.

"This disaster cannot be avoided... I'm sorry..."
Desiree Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 20:37   Link #163
WhiteWings

One good thing about Asian countries like Japan is that often as long as one lives in a at least somewhat suburban region getting very cheap but very tasty meals ready to eat like bentos by just picking it up nearby work or just having it delivered quickly and easily. Not a absolute nor does it happen in all the Asian countries but its more common in Asia than in the US.

As for my earlier comment. Many countries have dishes that might have ingridients from overseas and such but over a hundred years or more have become truly unique. I am not saying Japanese food suck or lack creativity.

But compared to Korea or China for example Japan has historically incorporated and adapted food from other countries.

I mean Ramen is more of a Japanese/Chinese blend though Japanese Ramen is certainly tastes Japanese (whatever that means). Tempura is said to have originally come from Portugal (so a Japanese friend told me). Breaded foods with fish, vegetable, and meat (cutlet or -katsu) are heavily modified into something Japanese. Curry dishes from Japan seems uniquely Japanese but a Indian might say otherwise.

I am not saying Japanese food is bad. I am just saying Japanese food seems to have more hybrids than any other countries.

At least Japan does have diversive collection of food one way or another. The other famous major island nation Britain is suprisingly simple considering it was the center of a vast empire all over the world.

Oh and P.S. I am not ranting. When I rant I rant mindlessly and is pretty much spam, spam, spam.
Old 2009-03-29, 21:01   Link #164
Tri-ring

What most people do not realize nor will ever be close to actually make comment of traditional Japanese like "Cha Kaiseki", which is equivalent to a dinner at a French 3 star restaruant or Manhan Quanxi.

Dishes like Unagi no kabayaki/shiroyaki, Taimeshi, Tororo, natto, umeboshi, kinome ae, unohana, shio konbu, kirihoshi daikon, komatsuna no nibitashi, shira ae, kaburamushi, junnsai no osuimono, sakana no nitsuke, soba, etc.(I can go on forever) doesn't even come to mind and still thinks that Japanese has nothing to offer in terms of uniqueness.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 01:54   Link #165
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
One good thing about Asian countries like Japan is that often as long as one lives in a at least somewhat suburban region getting very cheap but very tasty meals ready to eat like bentos by just picking it up nearby work or just having it delivered quickly and easily. Not a absolute nor does it happen in all the Asian countries but its more common in Asia than in the US.

As for my earlier comment. Many countries have dishes that might have ingridients from overseas and such but over a hundred years or more have become truly unique. I am not saying Japanese food suck or lack creativity.

But compared to Korea or China for example Japan has historically incorporated and adapted food from other countries.

I mean Ramen is more of a Japanese/Chinese blend though Japanese Ramen is certainly tastes Japanese (whatever that means). Tempura is said to have originally come from Portugal (so a Japanese friend told me). Breaded foods with fish, vegetable, and meat (cutlet or -katsu) are heavily modified into something Japanese. Curry dishes from Japan seems uniquely Japanese but a Indian might say otherwise.

I am not saying Japanese food is bad. I am just saying Japanese food seems to have more hybrids than any other countries.

At least Japan does have diversive collection of food one way or another. The other famous major island nation Britain is suprisingly simple considering it was the center of a vast empire all over the world.

Oh and P.S. I am not ranting. When I rant I rant mindlessly and is pretty much spam, spam, spam.
That's because the world only knows of these hybrids. I would like to venture a guess that the well-known Japanese dishes are so exactly because they have foreign counterparts, so people can easily relate to them and not be turned off. Unique dishes are usually a bit off to a foreigner, and thus off from international popularity, and you probably have to be a native to even know of them.

I'll hand in a quick example for China: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radish_cake

And I'd like to see people from other nations submit their own examples. I'd love to learn of a dish that I've never heard of.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 02:42   Link #166
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The Japanese simply love cool things from "outside" and they love to take them and transmogrify them into their own. Sometimes Japan seems to have an odd xenophillia/xenophobia going simultaneously.
( but then... so do many countries).
Old 2009-03-30, 09:01   Link #167
KimmyChan

I'm suffering from major melon bread withdrawel symptoms lately, lol! :P
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 18:01   Link #168
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiKimmy View Post
If you're willing to bake your own Melon pan then here is a link;

http://hidehide.net/melon-english.shtml

As you can see it's in ENGLISH so

Go for it !
Old 2009-03-30, 18:43   Link #169
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiKimmy View Post
If you know of any Mexican sweet pastry bakeries around, ask for "conchas".

They look and taste exactly the same as melon bread.
If you're in US, there are plenty of places you can buy them at.
I don't know about UK though.
Old 2009-03-31, 05:40   Link #170
KimmyChan

Thanks for the advice there guys And thanks for the recipe there also Tri-ring
Old 2009-04-01, 13:23   Link #171
rabbitthief
Inactive Member

Searching for Cherry Mochi

I want to get my GF something she's been always wanting and was figuring easter would be a great time to add it but i can't find anywhere to buy it, i tried alot of japanese candy/snack sites and haven't found any to order
kind of looks like: http://www.jlist.com/IMAGE/4a1vn
butthats the grape, cheery looks like that just cherry instead of grape
anyone know a place that sell em?
rabbitthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 13:41   Link #172
Shadow Kira01

Why don't you make it yourself?

http://www.midorikai.org/sakuramochi.html

If you insist on buying it, check these places:

sakuramochi (Google search results)

Edited: Actually, I had spent a few minutes googling it for you, but I failed to find any sites. Sorry...

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-04-01 at 13:43. Reason: updated.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 15:13   Link #173
KimmyChan

I haven't bought any more Pocky since a few months back either

I MUST MUST MUST find the time to go and get some more soon!
Old 2009-06-13, 16:18   Link #174
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Pocky <333

Question: is it really hard to make Sushi? I am making it in Catering for my coursework I want to know how hard it is.

Thanks x

Last edited by Miko Miko; 2009-06-13 at 16:43.
Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 20:21   Link #175
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
Pocky <333

Question: is it really hard to make Sushi? I am making it in Catering for my coursework I want to know how hard it is.

Thanks x
Yes and No.

Making sushi as a rice ball is not that difficult but making sushi as a professional would take practice.
The key is to make the rice ball not too hard so it desolve once you put it in your mouth but hard enough so it doesn't break up when you pick it up.
Old 2009-06-13, 20:32   Link #176
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd also be really wary of making sushi with raw fish on your own. The fish has to be really fresh and from a reputable fishmonger that knows sashimi and sushi requirements. It will cost more.

The various non-meat sushi or sushi using cooked meat (faux crab, etc) is better suited for home use.

Sushi rolls are fun to learn to make... but it takes some practice and it helps to have someone teaching you. 'riceball' sushi is also fun, especially if you have a mold to shape it in.
Old 2009-06-13, 23:26   Link #177
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'd also be really wary of making sushi with raw fish on your own. The fish has to be really fresh and from a reputable fishmonger that knows sashimi and sushi requirements. It will cost more.

The various non-meat sushi or sushi using cooked meat (faux crab, etc) is better suited for home use.

Sushi rolls are fun to learn to make... but it takes some practice and it helps to have someone teaching you. 'riceball' sushi is also fun, especially if you have a mold to shape it in.
Talking about sushi with raw fish.....is it possible to find fugu sushi in Japan?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 23:31   Link #178
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Talking about sushi with raw fish.....is it possible to find fugu sushi in Japan?
Yes but I won't recommend it since Fugu have a very delicate taste that becomes washed out with rice. Fugu also have tough meat so the balance between rice and meat is off.
The best match is for the meat and rice to desolve in the mouth at the sametime.
Old 2009-06-14, 00:21   Link #179
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Recipe for 'dango'

This recipe seems typical of the dozen or so I found... I'm assuming that "Mochiko" rice flour is fine as well?

http://sailormoon.takeuchi-naoko.com...ble/index.html

Spoiler for recipe in case link goes down:
Old 2009-06-14, 00:23   Link #180
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

Traditional style Edo-mae nigiri is actually all pre-prepared fish.
Anago(sea eel) is boiled in a sauce, Tako(Octopus),ebi(prawn) and Shako(?) are all boiled in hot water, Maguro dsuke is marinated in soy sauce based liquid, Hikari mono(blue skined fish like Mackrel) are all pickled in vinegar, Tai(Sea snappers) are salted and washed with sake, awabi(abalone) is steam in sake and so on.
The introduction of actual raw fish is a recent invention when refrigerators were popularized.