AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-05-27, 21:35   Link #141
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Even in english deadman wonderland the maid character is still just so annoying it was a poor choice and Casshern Sins wont look like it will do well
Old 2012-05-28, 12:17   Link #142
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
There's a few reasons why there's no money.

1. Toonami ended because of low ratings. It cost a lot of money to produce, so the network is waiting to see if the ratings justify more money.

2. Adult Swim has made a lot of money airing original low budget comedy shows. This is a good return on investment versus something like Toonami which requires licensing and other overhead to keep fresh.

3. Anime ratings on AS have tanked over the years. Toonami could help renew interest, but it's possible the audience has moved on despite a vocal minority pushing for a better block of anime.

If CN's parent company sees good ratings in this, money will be increased and the block will see slicker production and more variety in shows. I think that'll be a given, considering how terrible AS's anime block was.
Thanks for clarifying that Solace, I was under the impression that given Steve Blum's recent popularity as a voice actor and successfully making the jump from anime only to the more accepted, widely distributed US cartoons that he was asking some absurd amount of money for his role as TOM.
As for the Internet being "smart tv", I guess I arrived late on the scene, but I find the various "illicit sites" overrated and for pay per view sites, well I already pay for my satillite service so what's the point?
I'll stick too watching Toonami and buying my anime thru the appropriate sites! And I am enjoying the two new shows on Toonami.
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 14:04   Link #143
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Steve's doing it for free actually. Which is saying a lot, considering he could easily command a premium price for his work these days.

As for the internet versus television stuff, well, lots of people do still watch television, myself included. I'm not the regular watching of AS that I used to be, in part because of how much I feel they've moved from their roots as a network. I know a lot of people like their newer stuff, but originally AS was meant to be an adult animation programming block. Instead it's dominated by heavy reruns of FOX animations and cheaply produced live action comedy that tends to parody bad network television.

What I fear most is that Toonami will fail not because of interest, but because of high expectations. Too many people riding on nostalgia, trying to recapture their childhood, and not enough people who understand how the business side of television works.

AS can afford to stay low budget and pull in ratings. Comedy is cheap to make. Toonami won't have that luxury. I'd love to be filthy rich so I could donate to help them out, but for now all I can do is tune in and hope for the best.
Old 2012-05-28, 15:31   Link #144
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Deadman Wonderland was a perfect choice. However, while I don't mind Casshern Sins itself, I don't think it was the right choice for a returning block that is low on money and needs ratings to survive. It's too slow and philosophical and would have been better at a later point when Toonami became better solidified. They should have gone with Panty & Stocking instead, but I guess FUNimation offered it at a discounted price to move more units (along with AS not thinking it would work for some reason).

Edit: That's not to say that I don't see the appeal to the Adult Swim guys. It's has that retro appeal that AS appears to love so much. I just think it was put on the block too soon.

Last edited by Dilla; 2012-05-28 at 15:44.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 16:45   Link #145
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

I admit I love to see it back, even if it won't be quite the same. Those golden days have passed. Still, I always just liked the general atmosphere of the block despite it being simpler to just watch stuff online.

Casshern Sins is indeed an odd choice. I've never seen it, but I'm familiar with its premise and style are and agree that it seems like a choice that might have been better down the line. Deadman Wonderland works well and I didn't even have any interest in it originally.

Hopefully the block does well enough that they can expand and get some new shows for air. I'd love to see shows like Baccano, Steins;Gate, or perhaps airing films like perhaps Gundam Unicorn (not sure how that would work with Bandai).

Still, I kind of find myself doubting how successful it will be despite wanting to hope otherwise. I'll enjoy it however long it lasts though.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 14:19   Link #146
FaiEatsRainbows
Wonderful Wonderholic

I'm really dissapointed in myself for missing last weekends airing. I haven't seen Casshern Sins, but it does seem like a odd choice from what I've heard. I think it won't strike that big of an audience. Deadman wonderland is great though, and I feel like many people will find themselves in love with it. Hopefully they will start airing some older shows though, but I doubt it because of money.
Old 2012-06-02, 01:08   Link #147
Slayerx

In case anyone's interested, we got ratings info on how toonami did last week

Bleach: 1,060,000 (12 AM) and 580,000 (3 AM)
Deadman Wonderland: 860,000 (12:30 AM) and 557,000 (3:30 AM)
Casshern Sins: 796,000 (1 AM) and 488,000 (4 AM)
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood: 699,000 (1:30 AM) and 473,000 (4:30 AM)
Ghost in the Shell: 2nd Gig: 698,000 (2 AM) and 450,000 (5 AM)I
Cowboy Bebop: 669,000 (2:30 AM) and 419,000 (5:30 AM)

That's actually a big improvement from the previous week which was terrible, but i think its more or less about par for the course for how Adult Swim usually does on saturday nights (the previous week was unusually bad). From what i heard, i think DeMarco has said that they ratings were decent enough to keep toonami around... however, I would say that the ratings need to be better if the block is going to actually changed things for the better; by which i mean getting the funding for more kick ass shows and better promos and such.
Old 2012-06-02, 17:01   Link #148
word sux

I also have to agree that casshern sins is a curious choice. The rest however is a very solid lineup
Old 2012-06-02, 20:39   Link #149
ellifeedn
Thinker

I have to wonder who would be up between 3 and 6 AM to watch TV.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 21:00   Link #150
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I have to wonder who would be up between 3 and 6 AM to watch TV.
College students
Old 2012-06-03, 00:04   Link #151
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Superjail: The Anime.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 00:07   Link #152
word sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post

thats what I thought the first time I saw dead man wonderland..

the dub of deadman wonderland is godawful that is the only thing I have gathered from toonami so far
Old 2012-06-03, 01:17   Link #153
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post

Bleach: 1,060,000 (12 AM) and 580,000 (3 AM)
Deadman Wonderland: 860,000 (12:30 AM) and 557,000 (3:30 AM)
Casshern Sins: 796,000 (1 AM) and 488,000 (4 AM)
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood: 699,000 (1:30 AM) and 473,000 (4:30 AM)
Ghost in the Shell: 2nd Gig: 698,000 (2 AM) and 450,000 (5 AM)I
Cowboy Bebop: 669,000 (2:30 AM) and 419,000 (5:30 AM)

anyone here from the West Coast?

I can watch all the Toonami block as early as... 9 PM
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 02:24   Link #154
Alchemist007
*Author

Deadman dub is awesome.

I'm fine with the midnight run timing. I'm up till it ends anyways
Old 2012-06-03, 02:32   Link #155
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Well I get it at 11 on central time so its more than reasonable for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
That second episode sure made it feel like that.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 03:06   Link #156
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
The only thing I don't like about the toonami airing is all the swearing being cut out... otherwise, I'm thoroughly enjoying Deadman Wonderland (since I just go with the assumption that all dubs are generally horrible and am grateful I haven't listened to the original Japanese)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 12:26   Link #157
word sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
The only thing I don't like about the toonami airing is all the swearing being cut out... otherwise, I'm thoroughly enjoying Deadman Wonderland (since I just go with the assumption that all dubs are generally horrible and am grateful I haven't listened to the original Japanese)
After seeing the original I can't stand to watch the dub, especially with all the bleeped cursing...
Old 2012-06-03, 21:39   Link #158
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

The swearing makes an otherwise boring and incomplete adaptation way more entertaining. I don't know why but bleeping swear words like that just makes me laugh.

Hell, for next year's April Fool's joke they should re-air the first episode of Casshern and bleep out his name
Old 2012-06-04, 05:50   Link #159
word sux

on the topic of swearing I think they should put something like black lagoon on instead of casshern
Old 2012-06-04, 09:09   Link #160
Xagzan

Well, not instead of. Maybe in addition to. It still surprised me AS has never aired such seemingly fitting series as BL, Fate stay night, or even Baccano.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote