Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Microsoft: No indie games at Xbox One launch; they'll come next year

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...changed-at-all
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 20:25   Link #2262
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I don't think it's even surprising, honestly. They changed their stance regarding indie way too late for there to be any indie game on the Xbox One at launch.
Old 2013-09-23, 20:35   Link #2263
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

This will further put Xbox 1 down by PS4. While hardcore gamers or long time gamers will not care for it a lot, casual gamers are a real hit for Indie Games. They make a big part of the gaming customers.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 21:55   Link #2264
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I don't think it's even surprising, honestly. They changed their stance regarding indie way too late for there to be any indie game on the Xbox One at launch.
Yeah, really not surprising at all. You can't just go 180 on everything and suddenly be at the same point as the PS4.
Old 2013-09-23, 23:19   Link #2265
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Dew and Doritos + Xbox One. Unprecedented experience.

Quote:
Mountain Dew® and Doritos® Brands Will Offer THOUSANDS of Microsoft Xbox One Systems through Biggest Gaming Promotion in Brand History

Promotion Kicks off in Fall 2013; Register for Updates Today at www.DEWandDORITOS.com

PURCHASE, N.Y. and PLANO, TEXAS, June 10, 2013 – Gaming fans in the U.S. will soon be able to experience the next level of play thanks to the biggest gaming promotion in Mountain Dew and Doritos brand history.
This fall, celebrating a new generation of gaming, the Mountain Dew and Doritos brands will give fans the opportunity to get their hands on THOUSANDS of Xbox One consoles, the all-in-one gaming and entertainment system.

To get started, gaming enthusiasts can sign up now at DEWandDORITOS.com for updates.

“The Mountain Dew and Doritos brands are going to reward gamers in the biggest way possible this year with a variety of opportunities to get their hands on the new Xbox One,” said Larry “Major Nelson” Hryb. “We’ll be sharing more details throughout the summer, but rest assured that DEW and Doritos are creating something that is truly befitting of our epic new generation hardware.”

Join the conversation on Twitter @mtn_dew and @Doritos #DEWDORITOSXBOX.

Old 2013-09-23, 23:38   Link #2266
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Do a lot of people actually drink soda and chips when they play games...........?

In my experience, I have only seen gamers just drink Monster Energy Drinks and Pizza. Is that only me?
Old 2013-09-23, 23:57   Link #2267
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Do a lot of people actually drink soda and chips when they play games...........?
They do when watching TV. You know the rest .
Old 2013-09-24, 13:28   Link #2268
Destined_Fate

I guess they can drink and play but eat chips too?

No way, that gets things dirty.

Hate dirty controllers.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 13:30   Link #2269
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
I guess they can drink and play but eat chips too?

No way, that gets things dirty.

Hate dirty controllers.
I agree, except you can drink when you play. I like Vitamin Water Zero, the B vitamins make you more awake and more focus in games. As for food, eat fast, then play.
Old 2013-09-24, 13:44   Link #2270
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
True, most people are saying that. Though I expect Deep Down may be free initially then add DLC features for money to the game. This game sounds to good to be true, so that is what I think.
Yes, the basis of the model is that you can sample a game without paying anything (which helps build a sizable player base from the get-go), but those who stick with it might want to spend some money for a more satisfying experience. The exact restrictiveness boils down to design, but there's definitely a need to be profitable.

If you think about it, the experiment actually validates Microsoft's always-online, service-oriented vision of the game industry (which Sony happens to share).
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 15:47   Link #2271
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
If you think about it, the experiment actually validates Microsoft's always-online, service-oriented vision of the game industry (which Sony happens to share).
Except MS wasn't treating their "Always Online" as a service, they were treating it as a way to get more free money from their customers and offer nothing in return. If they want it to be a service, it would have been optional from the start.

SERVICE means offering what people want. MS was pushing their customers to give it money be force.

"It's a service... We are SERVING you, so do exactly what we say and give us all your money!"
Old 2013-09-24, 19:35   Link #2272
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
"It's a service... We are SERVING you, so do exactly what we say and give us all your money!"
As far as the industry is concerned, that's the basis of a service, isn't it? By offering online services instead of products (the traditional view of a game), power shifts to the content provider who owns and manages everything. Microsoft's DRM solution was a stopgap to shift customer thinking, but it's naive to believe that the vision has changed. It's also naive to believe that they're alone in that vision (and at the end of the day, the backpedaling hasn't changed where developers want to go). As we can see, the always-online game services are being developed in droves.

As always, the customer can choose whether to support it or not. Generally, I spend little money on online games simply because I want a long-term, archivable product.
Old 2013-09-24, 19:37   Link #2273
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
As always, the customer can choose whether to support it or not. Generally, I spend little money on online games simply because I want a long-term, archivable product.
The threat of customers choosing to not support/opt into the Xboxone was enough to make Microsoft rethink its policies.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 20:05   Link #2274
TJR

Regarding the long run, I doubt they've actually rethought anything. The prevailing expectation is that the industry will shift even without their intervention, so MS can lie low now to ease complaints.

In the meantime, look around us. Millions of people will buy Destiny despite its online requirement. The PC world is in love with Steam (cue the excitement for Steambox/SteamOS), and all that it entails. F2P developments are getting strong support from Sony.

Most likely, the industry belief is that in due time, anyone who wants to enjoy high-end games will have to buy into the understanding that they don't own anything they access (and FWIW, the mobile space has gone in the same direction with F2P games becoming so big). In the past, poor infrastructure inconvenienced too many people to make this a reality, but there's a lot of confidence in the model now.
Old 2013-09-24, 23:22   Link #2275
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

There is not a single Steam game I own that has always-online. And if they want to force it then I will simply give up gaming.

Much like the argument that everyone should start playing tablets and phone apps, just because there is a new trend doesn't mean people are actually switching to different devices. It's just that there are different people who use different things. Are there people happy to play Always Online games? Sure. Just don't expect me to join them. The same way you won't be able to force me to get a smart-phone, let alone convince me I should buy angry birds.
Old 2013-09-25, 07:06   Link #2276
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
In the meantime, look around us. Millions of people will buy Destiny despite its online requirement. The PC world is in love with Steam (cue the excitement for Steambox/SteamOS), and all that it entails. F2P developments are getting strong support from Sony.
The thing is though, Steam offers benefits for it's online requirements. Like frequent online sales, and being able to store an entire library of games without needing to mess around with discs and manual installations. Online distribution is likely the future, but for the time being, physical copies are still dominant. So online requirements need to be justified to the consumer in some way.

Microsoft's problem was seeing future trends, and thinking they could just arbitrarily implement them today, without giving the consumers any motivation to get on board with them. As a consequence, many people viewed the characteristics of their online service as being a negative attribute. This wouldn't have mattered if Microsoft had a monopoly, but unfortunately they don't. They have business rivals who were willing to take advantage of Microsoft's clumsy presentation of their online service.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 23:34   Link #2277
takai
Easy Muffin

Just a heads up to everyone, Xbox One pre-orders are back up starting tomorrow (10/9) at GameStop.

Not trying to start anything here, just wanted to spread the word.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 04:23   Link #2278
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Target mails Xbox One early, new images and details

Quote:
Twiter user Moonlightswami received his Xbox One pre-order from Target two weeks ahead of release. He has since been sharing details and screen captures from the next-generation Xbox.
Quote:
Moonlightswami’s console has since been banned. But his purchase was a legal one. Xbox LIVE’s Major Nelson has reached out to Moonlightswami on Twitter hoping to rectify the situation, and promised that “whatever happened, it will not be permanent. I can say that with 100 percent certainty.”
Old 2013-11-10, 05:30   Link #2279
Westlo
Lets be reality

Lucky dude preordered late, got his console early and is now invited to the launch event, gets his swag bag, gets his twitter and youtube followers up. Not like being banned from online means much when only 150 xbones are out in the wild lol...

and whoever did the fuck up @ target probably lost their job.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-22, 22:39   Link #2280
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I can tell ya that we got screwed here in Target Canada. Had to spend the entire day explaining to the six people who lined up that it still hadn't been delivered. Poor chaps visited about 3-5 times during the day to check.