Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-05, 12:19   Link #2081
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
North Korea space launch 'fails'

Ha Ha! Well that a HUGE relief for the world and a HUGE embarrassment to North Korea (Too bad the North Korea people will never learn the truth.)

I love this TakeThat response by someone on the BBC Message board about this news.
And the North Korean launch goes as expected. Like I said prior to the launch, attempting to shoot it down is a waste of an intercepter missile.

Last edited by Kamui4356; 2009-04-05 at 12:22. Reason: quoted the wrong person :heh:
Old 2009-04-05, 12:22   Link #2082
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
And i fully understand and agree with that, But there are no restrictions on people only having one glass. You can say people in your area are more controlled than that but its still not law.

So would it be alright if the dosage was lowered as to make it so you would need to do a few shots of cocaine to get high?
Since the start I say to not compare alcohol with drugs. Not all alcohols are like vodka. I am part of those who wants to see the state making the difference between, for example, wine and vodka (and believe it or not, about alcohol, here in France it's a serious subject and we search solutions to every problems related to it). Have you ever wondered why a lot of us French drink wine? Because when you drink a glass of wine with a nice dish, it tates good and doesn't have any side effect if you stay responsible (read: not drink 3 bottles of wine). We also use some type of alcohols in many of our receipes. Wine, Cognac, Armagnac for example. Still, it doesn't have any dangerous "immediate" side effects. We're not all brainless.

But what would be the purpose to lower the dosage of a drug ? NOT ALL the people drink to become drunk (As a French proud of our cuisine and wine, I would see that as an insult if somebody talks to me as if becoming drunk was the main purpose for drinking wine or using Cognac in cuisine, even if I don't drink myself). Why does the people take drugs? To experience the effects of it, and those effects come together with said bad side effects, and the effects that some people like are sometimes actually part of the bad effects. A person who is bored will smoke marijuana because it can change the perception of time on a certain number of people. The person sees that as a good effect, but then he has not a normal control on himself anymore.

And in my example, I was talking about Cocaine. Are you aware that not all the drugs are equal? In France, cocaine is seen as a very dangerous drug even at little dose.

Quote:
In fact your more likely to accidentally get blind stinking drunk than accidentally high. People who drink a few glasses think they are alright and go for more. People who get high know they will be high off one shot
I don't know how it is outside France, but that statement of yours is just false about my country. Most of the adults are responsible and don't get drunk. In a recent debate, they even, stated that even if the situation gets worse among the young people, less people have alcohol problems among the entire French population.

People who know they will get high are not sure to still have full control once they will be "high". Nor that they will remember what they did. Here, it happens often about people who take drugs. Sure it's not important if you get high in your bedroom and wake up in your garden without remembering how and why you left your room. But very bad cases happen more and more often here. One of the very bad case can be that a man will rape a woman and doesn't even remember. Or that a woman will let 10 guys make love to her because she was not in full control of herself and realize in the morning the effects that a single dose of drug has on her. Some people might not care and even laugh at that, but if I was a parent I would care. And even so, I actually care about that.

I dont compare some of my friends who drink one beer every two weeks in a café (because it tastes good) and never get drunk to people who takes drugs with the sol purpose of getting high. Actually, said friends will see that as an insult if I ever make a comparison.

Last edited by Narona; 2009-04-05 at 12:33.
Old 2009-04-05, 12:29   Link #2083
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Since the start I say to not compare alcohol with drugs. Not all alcohols are like vodka. I am part of those who wants to see the state making the difference between, for example, wine and vodka (and believe it or not, about alcohol, here in France it's a serious subject and we search solutions to every problems related to it). Have you ever wondered why a lot of us French drink wine? Because when you drink a glass of wine with a nice dish, it tates good and doesn't have any side effect if you stay responsible (read: not drink 3 bottles of wine). We also use some type of alcohols in many of our receipes. Wine, Cognac, Armagnac for example. Still, it doesn't have any dangerous "immediate" side effects. We're not all brainless.

But what would be the purpose to lower the dosage of a drug? NOT ALL the people drink to become drunk (As a French proud of our cuisine and wine, I would see that as an insult if somebody talks to me as if becoming drunk was the main purpose for drinking wine or using Cognac in cuisine, even if I don't drink myself). Why does the people take drugs? To experience the effects of it, and those effects come together with said bad side effects, and the effects that some people like are sometimes actually part of the bad effects. A person who is bored will smoke marijuana because it can change the perception of time on a certain number of people. The person sees that as a good effect, but then he has not a normal control on himself anymore.

And in my example, I was talking about Cocaine. Are you aware that not all the drugs are equal? In France, cocaine is seen as a very dangerous drug even at little dose.

I don't know how it is outside France, but that statement of yours is just false about my country. Most of the adults are responsible and don't get drunk. In a recent debate, they even, stated that even if the situation gets worse among the young people, less people have alcohol problems among the entire French population.

People who know they will get high are not sure to still have full control once they will be "high". Nor that they will remember what they did. Here, it happens often about people who take drugs. Sure it's not important if you get high in your bedroom and wake up in your garden without remembering how and why you left your room. But very bad cases happen more and more often here. One of the very bad case can be that a man will rape a woman and doesn't even remember. Or that a woman will let 10 guys make love to her because she was not in full control of herself and realize in the morning the effects that a single dose of drug has on her. Some people might not care and even laugh at that, but if I was a parent I would care. And even so, I actually care about that.

I dont compare some of my friends who drink one beer every two weeks in a café (because it tastes good) and never drunk with people who takes drugs with the sol purpose of getting high. Actually, said friends will see that as an insult if I ever make a comparison.
I can't speak about France, but here in North America, almost everyone drinks to get blind stinking drunk. Of course many people drink rarely, but few people drink a glass or two.

Edit: On second thought, its not everyone as i first wrote, but quite a large number of people.

And about my comment about the accidental part, I'm saying people who get high know they will be losing control and know the consequences of what they do when that happens. People who drink a few glasses convince themselves they are alright, drink more, lose themselves and then do something they regret, all the while thinking they could control themselves.
Old 2009-04-05, 12:39   Link #2084
Narona
Emotionless White Face

O_o I'm speechless about what you say of NA. Are they all brainless and totally stupid?

Quote:
And about my comment about the accidental part, I'm saying people who get high know they will be losing control and know the consequences of what they do when that happens. People who drink a few glasses convince themselves they are alright, drink more, lose themselves and then do something they regret, all the while thinking they could control themselves.
In both cases it's no good. A person who knows the consequences and so knows that with a single dose of drug there's a risk to harm other people is insane imo. People shall care about the other persons.

About your statement to alcohol, you generalize a lot. Again I'm talking about my country obviously. But in our laws, somebody who break the laws because of alcohol is in deep shit. We don't laugh over those people behaviors. Stop comparing just to excuse the purpose of drugs.

The main purpose of alcohol in france is NOT to get drunk. While the main purpose of drugs is to get high. You just can't compare once you know that.
Old 2009-04-05, 12:49   Link #2085
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
O_o I'm speechless about what you say of NA. Are they all brainless and totally stupid?
Ok, maybe i need to clear up something. People in NA are generally responsible. Most people choose not to drink at all, or drink on extremely rare occasions, like myself. However a majority of those people when they go drinking, do it to get drunk. Designated driving is becoming more popular now so people usually have a buddy to make sure they don't go overboard, but generally people drink for its effect. Either way though, that choice is left to the people. Nobody is going to stop you from getting too drunk no matter what the norm is.

Quote:
In both cases it's no good. A person who knows the consequences and so knows that with a single dose of drug there's a risk to harm other people is insane imo. People shall care about the other persons.

About your statement to alcohol, you generalize a lot. Again I'm talking about my country obviously. But in our laws, somebody who break the laws because of alcohol is in deep shit. We don't laugh over those people behaviors. Stop comparing just to excuse the purpose of drugs.

The main purpose of alcohol in france is NOT to get drunk. While the main purpose of drugs is to get high. You just can't compare once you know that.
I never said that people who act out of control under the influence of alcohol are or should be excused under any circumstance. That is exactly my point. People who get too drunk do it without noticing and pay a heavy price. People who get high know they are getting high and know they must face any consequences of their actions when they do so.

Again, i can only talk about what is the norm in my area.
Old 2009-04-05, 13:27   Link #2086
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
In NA, almost everyone drinks to get blind stinking drunk. ...
However a majority of those people when they go drinking, do it to get drunk.
I'm sorry but what part of North America do *YOU* live in??? o.O
Maybe you're confusing a particular demographic with "everyone"...
Old 2009-04-05, 13:35   Link #2087
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I suspect that alchohol is less dangerous in Europe than in Canada or the US because European cities tend to be less car dependent. Not everyone is responsible enough to have a designated driver.

As for drug laws, my big problem with them would be the effects of them. Dealers don't merely sell drugs - the huge profit to be made makes them actively recruit victims, many of whom are minors. They also have a tendency to shoot each other up over "turf" around here (drug trade related shootings make up a significant portion of Vancouver's murder rate). It's actually gotten to the point where when the police arrest someone important in the trade around here, my reaction isn't "yay!" it's "I hope that nobody gets shot trying to decide who his successor should be". And Vancouver's very high property crime rates are drug related too. If someone smashes your car window looking for money, there's a good chance they're an addict needing money for a fix.

So now that I've detailed who loses from drug laws, my question would be "who wins?". Based on the fact that marijauna is more popular than tobacco with youth around here, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that not a lot of people care that something is merely illegal. And for hard drugs like heroine or cocaine, I'd say the health effects are a way better deterrent than the law is.
Old 2009-04-05, 15:01   Link #2088
Nosauz

With all the news of killings and slaying across America, I stumbled upon this commentary of a would be "postal" man. Its pretty gritty, but wow is that prose amazing, and story itself was amazing.

http://digg.com/d1nyHm
check it out.
Old 2009-04-05, 15:03   Link #2089
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm sorry but what part of North America do *YOU* live in??? o.O
Maybe you're confusing a particular demographic with "everyone"...
I am an engineering student in uni so perhaps my view is a little skewed.

I still think it is fair to say there are a lot of people who go out and get drunk.
Old 2009-04-05, 15:27   Link #2090
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Look, I work in a irish pub at Mont- Tremblant ( Canada) and I see plenty of customes taking one or two drink only, and not getting drunk. Even those more eavy drunker plenty try to avoid the drunk level.

Last edited by ganbaru; 2009-04-05 at 16:01.
Old 2009-04-05, 16:00   Link #2091
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Look, I work in a irish pub at Mont- Tremblant ( Canada) and I see plenty of customes taking one or two drink only, and not getting drunk. Even tshose more eavy drunker plenty try to avoid the drunk level.
Ok, ok i'll concede that statement, but my point is that it still isn't illegal and it does happen.
Old 2009-04-05, 16:55   Link #2092
einhorn303

ZANESVILLE - Local law enforcement deals with sex offenders almost daily, but in the past couple of months, Zanesville police have dealt with one of the youngest cases officers can remember - an 11-year-old girl charged with three counts of rape.

Detective Randy Ritchason said the girl had some type of sexual contact with three other children - two boys and a girl -all under the age of 10. She was charged in Muskingum County Juvenile Court.

"I believe it's the youngest perpetrator we've had," Ritchason said. "We've had young teens before, but she is about the youngest I've ever dealt with."

Rhonda Hinkle, a supervisor with Muskingum County Children's Services, said the girl is a very rare case, but her office is continually seeing more and more children who are committing sex crimes, not just being victims.

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.c...WS01/903130301
Old 2009-04-05, 17:29   Link #2093
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I am an engineering student in uni so perhaps my view is a little skewed.

I still think it is fair to say there are a lot of people who go out and get drunk.
yeah... even when I was a teen I was always amazed/appalled at the idea one would want to get so drunk they couldn't remember what they did the next day --- usually we called that lot "one year wonders" though. They'd fail and vanish.

I always assumed they'd end up being the losers who couldn't think of anything more interesting to do on Friday than blow their paycheck on booze and not remember the weekend.
Old 2009-04-05, 17:43   Link #2094
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
North Korea space launch 'fails'

Ha Ha! Well that a HUGE relief for the world and a HUGE embarrassment to North Korea (Too bad the North Korea people will never learn the truth.)

I love this TakeThat response by someone on the BBC Message board about this news.
North Korea has failed but...

I don't look at it this simple. Currently, Japan, the United States, and South Korea is planning to extend sanctions on North Korea but without the agreement of China and Russia, two veto-wielding powers, the UNSC will be able to do nothing about it. Currently, China is asking everybody to remain calm about the act of aggression which North Korea has committed indicates that China actually supports North Korean missile test. Russia is staying silent meaning that they don't really care either way but they prefer to not support Japan, South Korea, and the United States in punishing North Korea's ignorant attempts. This isn't good.

More importantly, where did North Korea's "satellite" went? It disappeared off the SDF's radar after leaving eastward of Japan by 2100km, yet nobody had seen any sort of flying object entering orbit. Did their "satellite" fell into the Pacific Ocean again?
Old 2009-04-05, 18:17   Link #2095
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
North Korea has failed but...
I have to say I was also a bit worried about Japan's response if the North Korean missile launch had actually succeeded. The last I heard, Japan was threatening to shoot down any part or debris from the rocket that landed within its territory and waters. In turn, North Korea threatened to declare war on Japan if it followed through with its plans. Whilst Japan's plans were perfectly normal, understandable and rational under usual circumstances, they could potentially have dragged South Korea and the US into a very dirty conflict.

Perhaps my perspective is a bit selfish since I have a lot of Korean friends who actually live in South Korea whilst my Japanese friends are all overseas. I was more than a little alarmed at what the war games between North Korea and Japan in particular would mean for South Korea. Unlike Japan, South Korea has a lot at stake in this conflict so despite its recently toughened stance, it still tends to tread a lot more carefully than Japan.
Old 2009-04-05, 19:13   Link #2096
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
ZANESVILLE - Local law enforcement deals with sex offenders almost daily, but in the past couple of months, Zanesville police have dealt with one of the youngest cases officers can remember - an 11-year-old girl charged with three counts of rape.

Detective Randy Ritchason said the girl had some type of sexual contact with three other children - two boys and a girl -all under the age of 10. She was charged in Muskingum County Juvenile Court.

"I believe it's the youngest perpetrator we've had," Ritchason said. "We've had young teens before, but she is about the youngest I've ever dealt with."

Rhonda Hinkle, a supervisor with Muskingum County Children's Services, said the girl is a very rare case, but her office is continually seeing more and more children who are committing sex crimes, not just being victims.

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.c...WS01/903130301

whoop that trick!
Old 2009-04-05, 19:14   Link #2097
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
I have to say I was also a bit worried about Japan's response if the North Korean missile launch had actually succeeded. The last I heard, Japan was threatening to shoot down any part or debris from the rocket that landed within its territory and waters. In turn, North Korea threatened to declare war on Japan if it followed through with its plans. Whilst Japan's plans were perfectly normal, understandable and rational under usual circumstances, they could potentially have dragged South Korea and the US into a very dirty conflict.

Perhaps my perspective is a bit selfish since I have a lot of Korean friends who actually live in South Korea whilst my Japanese friends are all overseas. I was more than a little alarmed at what the war games between North Korea and Japan in particular would mean for South Korea. Unlike Japan, South Korea has a lot at stake in this conflict so despite its recently toughened stance, it still tends to tread a lot more carefully than Japan.

Um, what is your supposed alternative?
Ignore the missles coming down on your head, don't shoot them down, and just take it in the ass?

For god's sakes, you act like South Korea is just an innocent bystander. No, they are just as much of a player in the political games in the region as any other.
North Korea is the only aggressor in the conflict between the five nations involved, stop trying to play the silly blame game.
Old 2009-04-05, 19:17   Link #2098
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Um, what is your supposed alternative?
Ignore the missles coming down on your head, don't shoot them down, and just take it in the ass?

For god's sakes.
Let the Americans do it? Could work better.
Old 2009-04-05, 19:25   Link #2099
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Let the Americans do it? Could work better.
Since when in the fuck is shooting down missles coming at your homeland a bad idea????

PAC3 missles are anti ballistic missles, they can't even travel very far.
It's purely a defensive weapon, that cannot be used offensively in any way.

Jesus. Christ.
I can understand criticisms if there were offensive military actions taken, but that is not the case here.
I swear, some of you peole just want to see Japan burn.

Oh, and PAC3s ARE supplied by the US forces in Japan, thank you very much.
Old 2009-04-05, 19:45   Link #2100
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Since when in the fuck is shooting down missles coming at your homeland a bad idea????

PAC3 missles are anti ballistic missles, they can't even travel very far.
It's purely a defensive weapon, that cannot be used offensively in any way.

Jesus. Christ.
I can understand criticisms if there were offensive military actions taken, but that is not the case here.
I swear, some of you peole just want to see Japan burn.

Oh, and PAC3s ARE supplied by the US forces in Japan, thank you very much.
I just read the post by mg1942 if NK was going to declare war on Japan for shooting down their missile then instead of Japan doing it let the American do it. Never said I want Japan to burned down or implied it, all I was saying to prevent any risk of war Japan should let Americans to shoot it down in case of emergency.
Anyhow all did was just throw a half assed idea (quite bored right now), you don't really have take my post seriously.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international