AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-19, 11:52   Link #1001
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

As an anime only watcher, I will never be able to understand the complaints of the manga readers.

Conversely, I do understand how some manga readers will have difficulty understanding how anime watchers can easily enjoy every single minute of this story because "they are missing out on SO MUCH".

Because truth be told, I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 12:32   Link #1002
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyesvn View Post
With this speed, they may actually finish Balbadd at 13th or 14th episode and end the series after Zagan's Dungeon ( Assuming this series will have 24-26 eps )

Well, the Zagan "arc" isn't good climax material IMO. Besides they did say Balbadd would be the main arc of the series.

Anyway, let's wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Source material readers tend to be a whiny bunch, but I think in this case it is wholly justified. I am quite shocked how fast this episode was myself. We barely had time to feel out the new cast members, then at blinding speed we're jumping to this new conflict already. It is going WAAAAAAY too fast.
There's no need for long character introductions before jumping to the conflict. This is a long arc and the characters can be further explored along the way. I think that's a strength of this arc anyway
Old 2012-11-19, 12:40   Link #1003
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I read both the manga and watch the series and don't see a damn thing wrong.

Sure they might cut out a few things and change some things....but it's more due to animation and time constraints I suppose.
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 13:09   Link #1004
TinkyWinky
Derpy derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
It's hilarious when you see stuff like To Love Ru (original series) get single chapters padded out to fill an entire episode yet the best shonen manga since FMA has to go through 5-6 chapters per episode.
Well, they can do that given the fact that they have a license which can feed them until their death. It would be sad to not avail that by doing a fast adaptation of the manga, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
Lets be reality, if this was a an ongoing series like One Piece or Bleach you wouldn't have seen this episode until the late teens.
Yes and you would have seen instead some shitty filers. Magi isn't One Piece or Bleach: they need to capture the viewer's attention as son as possible to be still aired after the winter season. And how can they manage to do that? By doing one or two arc in something like 24 episodes to show to the people that Magi is totally awesome. The result might seem "rushed" but in my opinion its not bad at all.

(by the way I'm really sorry for all the eyes who are bleeding when they see my english :3)
TinkyWinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 15:01   Link #1005
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Actually some of the Bleach anime that was canon went into three/four chapters per episode.

How long is Magi going to run anyway? Other than One Piece and Naruto, I think the days of long arse series like Bleach is over with, but this series could probaly run a reasonable 51 at least if they want.
Old 2012-11-19, 15:03   Link #1006
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm liking Morgianna more and more. Loved her pouty face when she told Sindbad she would fight as well. You'd better no get on that girl's bad side.
I'm liking her more as well. Anime form is superior to manga form.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 15:13   Link #1007
TinkyWinky
Derpy derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy
How long is Magi going to run anyway?
I would say we are going to have 51 episodes (or less, but not something like 24 eps) and we will know if the airing is prolonged after the solds of the DVD/BR. I think that the producers are already thinking about it when they see the amount of audiance that Magi may cause ; and the show isn't even at his paroxysm ! :3
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. Frank Herbert
My twitter and My Anime List
TinkyWinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 15:23   Link #1008
Meepy
stupid & obvious

Confirmed for 2 cours, I believe. But we'll probably get more sometime down the line.

As for the pacing, where the episode ended was the perfect place to end, anyway. But I'm just worried about how far the adaption will go since the end of this arc is a really good place to finish. What comes after will be a little lack lustre, I'd think. But seeing as the Eight Generals are already casted, well. . .
Meepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 18:16   Link #1009
RainbowMagnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkyWinky View Post
Well, they can do that given the fact that they have a license which can feed them until their death. It would be sad to not avail that by doing a fast adaptation of the manga, no?

Yes and you would have seen instead some shitty filers. Magi isn't One Piece or Bleach: they need to capture the viewer's attention as son as possible to be still aired after the winter season. And how can they manage to do that? By doing one or two arc in something like 24 episodes to show to the people that Magi is totally awesome. The result might seem "rushed" but in my opinion its not bad at all.

(by the way I'm really sorry for all the eyes who are bleeding when they see my english :3)
I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense at all. How many arcs one can fit in an anime has nothing to do with what makes an anime amazing. There are plenty of other ways to capture a viewers attention, without resulting in rushing the source material.

Your english isn't that horrible btw . I got most of it.
RainbowMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 18:28   Link #1010
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meepy View Post
Confirmed for 2 cours, I believe. But we'll probably get more sometime down the line.

As long as they don't mess with things too much. Or if they do decide to do fillers, they keep it in the spirit of the manga.

Ono and Mor's VA are like everywhere this fall....

And I just realized that Alibaba is Tatara
Old 2012-11-19, 20:19   Link #1011
Seihai
スマイリウム

I'm digging the OP. It's very pleasant to the ears. Not too intense but still energetic enough with the right amount of gentleness in voice and melody that actually manages to put a smile on my face.
Old 2012-11-19, 23:02   Link #1012
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well thats one way to show up
Old 2012-11-20, 07:26   Link #1013
garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
As an anime only watcher, I will never be able to understand the complaints of the manga readers.

Conversely, I do understand how some manga readers will have difficulty understanding how anime watchers can easily enjoy every single minute of this story because "they are missing out on SO MUCH".

me too, I don't really see any problem with the anime so far in terms of pacing. Liking this show much as it is. So i just look at the complaints and think "well that's their opinion" and don't worry much about it ^^

I totally understand though where Manga readers are coming from, even though I'm an anime only watcher. I just wish the ranting wouldn't become so repetitively tiresome. One of the things I Hate the most is when there's a sh**ty adaptation of a novel I really love (I'm an avid fantasy/sci-fi novel reader). Like that Sword of Truth series TV adaptation Legend of the Seeker ( how I hate how they changed the story flow and the character of ZED arghhh) I wouldn't touch that TV show with a ten foot pole, and i really really love that book series
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 08:19   Link #1014
whitecloud

Comparing the story of magi and other shounen out there it seems the story of magi is not much about the fight, hack and slash, power up and more into the darker story that most shounen dont have (politics, war, slavery,etc)....

so...what do you guys think, if compared to other shounen out there (naruto,bleach,one piece,fairy tail,etc) do you magi is on the same level, better or not yet?
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 12:03   Link #1015
wisteria233

So far the show is okay, but its just as I feared A1 pictures is rushing the story. It is literally taking what are sometimes 10 whole chapters and condensing them down to two episodes. While of course skipping out on a lot of details, and preventing viewers from really getting a sense of the world.

First problem are the relationships:
The relationship between Alibaba and Aladdin is rushed, they just didn't give enough time to build up on their deep friendship to make it believable, which the manga did because it was a full arc. The same goes with the Kouga clan arc which also has a lasting effect on Aladdin's character, it also didn't give the time to leave an impression on the audience.

Second problem is art style:
while the art style in the manga is at times cutesy, it isn't to the extent of the anime, as even the cutest and/or nicest of characters could pull off cold blooded expressions, and make it fit. However the anime's art style makes these expressions out of place.

Third is overall handling of the story:
Magi is not an action series, it is an adventure, fantasy, shounen. There is action but it isn't a big part of the series, nor is it a main focus in fact, battles frequently don't solve their problems they only make it worse, meanwhile they are pretty much either ignoring or glossing over the politics of the world, when in reality the politics are actually way more important.

In addition to that the writers are pulling the punches when it comes to the world itself, often having the characters harp on how wrong slavery is and the power of friendship, which be okay if it were the right characters talking about it, or in the latter case showing you it at the right time. Not by doing it in the most cheesy heavy handed way possible.

I'm gonna keep watching it but so far, its really just proving all my worries.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 17:58   Link #1016
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

^I feel the need to once again point out that I have none of the rushed-related complaints. I understand Alibaba and Aladdin's friendship just fine without having read the manga. I also understand what changes happened to Aladdin durring the Kouga arc.

I also feel like I understand enough about the world's politics. It really isn't that complicated.
Old 2012-11-21, 03:09   Link #1017
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post

Original material fans will ALWAYS complain.
Did you hear all the bitching when Lord of the Ring trilogy was in the theaters?
I read the trilogy and I still was completely baffled at those people.

I'm a manga reader, and while I express minor dissapointments here and there, unless it's a complete train wreck (read: ZETMAN) I usually set the mindset of "manga is manga, anime is anime". And as far as anime adaptation goes, IMO Magi has been doing an excellent job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
As a Hunter x Hunter fan, I emphatically disagree .
Hiatus x Hiatus is disqualified simply because.

And this season is pretty much owned by Jojo!

Last edited by aohige; 2012-11-21 at 03:22.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 04:46   Link #1018
Cloudenvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Original material fans will ALWAYS complain.
Did you hear all the bitching when Lord of the Ring trilogy was in the theaters?
I read the trilogy and I still was completely baffled at those people.

I'm a manga reader, and while I express minor dissapointments here and there, unless it's a complete train wreck (read: ZETMAN) I usually set the mindset of "manga is manga, anime is anime". And as far as anime adaptation goes, IMO Magi has been doing an excellent job.
This is pretty much how I feel about it so far, I think they've done an excellent job with this adaptation and I'm a pretty big fan of the manga. Then again, I'm not the type to get upset if some, to me, unimportant things are removed or condensed for the anime format.
Cloudenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 14:37   Link #1019
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Oh you mean those guy who missed Tom Bombadil? Because seriously, fuck Tom Bombadil.
Old 2012-11-21, 14:45   Link #1020
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

If I didn't read the manga already, I would say that Sindbad had crushed all my dreams about a "Great conqueror of The Seven Seas" when he showed up in front of Aladdin and Morgiana...

Tags
action-adventure, fantasy, shounen