AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-04-09, 22:47   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Questions about fan subs and DVD content on iPads

So I'm being offered an iPad as a gift (one I've turned down because I'm modest, but this person would like to give me one, so I'm starting to really consider getting one).

Whether or not I'll take up the offer of getting one as a gift really depends on some things about the video options on an iPad.

First is fan subs. What have people worked out with getting fan subs to work on iPads? Is it pretty simple to get your fan subs up and running on an iPad, or is this limited and a hassle to pull off? Do you have to crack the hardware (something I don't want to do)?

Secondly, can you rip DVDs to your hard drive and then put them on an iPad and play them off of one? Is this also not a hassle, or does that require hacking/modification and isn't too user friendly, as well? I mostly would want to watch anime DVDs off of one.

Also, how is Crunchy Roll on an iPad? Has the site done much to cater to iPad users?

If the iPad can be a great device for viewing anime, I think I'll get one. If it is limited in regards to those things I brought up, I just don't have any other reasons that are very good for owning one.

Also, should I just go for the 64 GB model, or would I be fine with the 32 GB model? I'm not putting much of my music onto it (hardly any of it), won't load it up with photos, and probably won't get too many games. Just a good amount of videos. Is 32 GB just fine for that, or should I just go for the 64 GB model? And I wouldn't get a 4G model. Just don't have a need for that, especially at the price they make you pay for it.
Old 2012-04-09, 23:00   Link #2
sa547
*Author

Given that mobile device support for newer codecs are sketchy at best, I usually re-encode my vids.
Old 2012-04-10, 05:38   Link #3
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Given that mobile device support for newer codecs are sketchy at best, I usually re-encode my vids.
Same here.

You don't have to jailbreak your iPad to make fansubbed anime work (mostly MKV). You can choose to re-encode your videos (most people probably use Handbrake), or you can use buy an iPad app that natively supports MKV playback (though MKVs are not guaranteed to work, and may be dependent on the coding of the app and the hardware of the iPad).

For DVDs, you have to rip them first and re-encode them (normally), again through Handbrake or some other video conversion software, before you can add them to iTunes and syncing it to your iPad from there.

I'm assuming you are getting the third generation iPad (the one marketed as "the new iPad")?
Old 2012-04-10, 07:04   Link #4
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Also, how is Crunchy Roll on an iPad? Has the site done much to cater to iPad users?
Unfortunately you have to use the app and you don't get everything you get on the site.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 16:33   Link #5
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Okay, re-encoding for DVD content, and re-encoding for fan subs. I suspect DVD material plays without a problem when re-encoded, but is it right to assume I'd probably have some problems with fan subs? Differently file types might give me problems and there could be other problems sometimes, for example, I could get some sound-image sync problems occasionally?
How limited is the Crunchy Roll app for iPad? Around half the series are available compared to the website?

I'd get a 3rd generation iPad.

Depending on how limited Crunchy Roll for iPad is and how hassle free fan subs on iPads are will determine whether I'll go for an iPad or not.
Old 2012-04-10, 20:46   Link #6
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I have the AV Player app for the iPhone (there is also an iPad version) and it does a rather good job in watching 720p 8-bit MKVs with fansubs on a iPhone 4S (which shares the same A5 processor minus the quadcore graphics). The only drawback is no special fonts in the subtitles since it has limited SSA support. Given how powerful the processor is, I think it can also support 10bit with a few issues... but I haven't tried it out extensively enough.
Old 2012-04-10, 20:55   Link #7
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
I have the AV Player app for the iPhone (there is also an iPad version) and it does a rather good job in watching 720p 8-bit MKVs with fansubs on a iPhone 4S (which shares the same A5 processor minus the quadcore graphics). The only drawback is no special fonts in the subtitles since it has limited SSA support. Given how powerful the processor is, I think it can also support 10bit with a few issues... but I haven't tried it out extensively enough.
I'm personally curious how the iPad 3, with it's A5X processor (dual core CPU + quad core GPU), handles in terms of playback performance, especially with 720p/1080p 10-bit MKVs.
Old 2012-04-11, 06:18   Link #8
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
How limited is the Crunchy Roll app for iPad? Around half the series are available compared to the website?
Anything that is above the app's 12+ rating isn't available.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 19:02   Link #9
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
You could always take the iPad and sell it or trade it for a real, non-neutered ultraportable PC. The Samsung NP300U1A I'm using right now is great, though the battery it comes with is small and I had to buy a third-party 6-cell to get it over 5 hours of runtime.

The Sandy Bridge Core i3 CPU in this thing can handle 10-bit 720p fansubs without breaking a sweat. I don't bother with 1080p, on this or my desktop even though my desktop can display 1920x1200 resolution. Just too much space taken up for a nearly non-noticeable quality bump.