AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-12-03, 21:35   Link #101
ion475
にこにこにー

I'll put my 2 cents here from the fairly limited amount of anime I saw...

Papakiki - One of those case where reading the original works makes watching the anime a pain. Makes this list by the virtue of the fact that Papakiki is not animated by J.C. Staff, yet managed to be screwed fairly badly.
Natsuiro Kiseki - I'm surprised this doesn't get mention more in this thread. Maybe b/c people are not expecting anything, I guess. Animation (and art) is downright awful. The story goes nowhere. Good way to sale a Sphere single but that's it.
SAO - More of a result of being way overhyped. I guess for every anime that met its high expectation (Hyouka & Chuunibyou did for the most part), there's odd work like SAO that makes people think "That's all about this work? And exactly how SAO outsold the other LNs by this much" (I know, LN is a lot better than the anime...).

Before I move into my "winner", there are animes like Zero no Tsukaima F, Little Busters, and Sakurasou (Some may argue that this work is actually more of a dark horse, I have to disagree, as much as I have zero expectations left after the dreadful day I saw "J.C. Staff" as the studio animating this work) that I can only put down as "honorable mentions". Yep, J.C. Staff, you're THAT bad.

Okay, for my winner...
Hayate "S3" - Okay, "original story" already lower my expectation. Okay, messing up Hina's face (episode 3...) is one thing. Doesn't exactly change the fact that the "funny" part are not funny at all, while the "serious" plot makes zero sense. At least S1 original, as bad as they were, did generates some laugh. But this season? What are they trying to attempt, bringing back the "Combat Butler" part of "Hayate the Combat Butler"? Throwing in some random fantasy element is just not the way to do it...
Old 2012-12-03, 22:18   Link #102
Ermes Marana

1. The Woman Called Fujiko Mine

I wanted to like this so much I was trying to hypnotize myself, deceive myself however I could, but it's just awful. One of the most disappointing shows I've ever seen. It sucks the fun out of a room like an open airlock on a space station, leaving the occupants to die horribly in a vacuum.

The only good thing about it is that it forced me to rewatch the original series to cleanse my mind.

2. Nisemonogatari

I can't say I was totally surprised not to like this, since there were already aspects of Bakemonogatari I didn't like. However, since I love Katanagatari, and like Bakemonogatari and Medaka Box (manga) a lot, I was hoping for better.
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 23:26   Link #103
leokiko

Sakamichi no Appolon. Director did his best but still felt underwhelming in comparison with its manga counterpart.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 13:12   Link #104
Animexcel

I hate to say, I really liked the OVA and wanted to like Black Rock Shooter the TV too. But thinking back on it, there were parts that made me cringe and made me wanna barf, like the drama scenes. The only thing it had going were the action parts. I wanted to see more of BRS's world instead of the school life which I wasn't buying much into. The OST isn't all that great, though the ending song was nice.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 13:20   Link #105
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Votes Tally as of 11/27:

SAO - 15
Another - 9
Arcana Famiglia - 8
Eureka Seven AO - 8

Nise - 5

Hyouka - 4
K - 4
Rinne no Lagrange - 4

Brave10 - 3
HnG Can't Take My Eyes Off You - 3
Koichoco - 3
Natsuyuki Rendezvous - 3
Sakamichi Apollon - 3

BRS TV - 2
Code Breaker - 2
Girls und Panzer - 2
Jormungand S1 - 2
Kokoro Connect - 2
Little Busters! - 2
Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru: Futari no Elder - 2
Sankarea - 2

Accel World - 1
Amagami SS+ - 1
Aquarion EVOL - 1 (second half)
Dog Days S2 - 1
Gundam AGE - 1
Hagure Yuusha no Esthetica - 1
Hakuouki Reimeiroku - 1
Hiiro no Kakera - 1
Joshiraku - 1
Kamisama Hajimemashita - 1
Kill Me Baby! - 1
Kono Naka ni Hitori (ry - 1
Korezon of the Dead - 1
Kurobas - 1
Last Exile, Fam the Silver Wing - 1
Natsuiro Kiseki - 1
PapaKiki - 1
Saki: Achiga-hen - 1
Seitokai no Ichizon Lv.2 - 1
TLR Darkness - 1
Tsuritama - 1
Zetman - 1
And the winner... is... SAO.
Old 2012-12-04, 17:13   Link #106
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
And the winner... is... SAO.
Actually quite surprised Nise made it up high too; when the episodes were airing it was more widely praised than Mother Teresa.

Also, abbreviating it to HnG Can't Take My Eyes Off You makes it sounds like some kinda statement a lost otaku would make, I like it.
Old 2012-12-04, 17:28   Link #107
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Actually quite surprised Nise made it up high too; when the episodes were airing it was more widely praised than Mother Teresa.
Well, as was said before, the most important thing about "disappointment" was to have expectations that failed to be met. Nisemonogatari was a sequel to one of the most popular anime of the last decade, and it took a slightly different approach than the first season. I suppose I am only surprised that it doesn't "rank" higher only because expectations were so high (but this may be partly because it's less fresh in people's memories right now). SAO is similar -- it was highly-anticipated and "hyped" by novel readers and had a premise that could have gone in a million different directions, and when it ultimately chose one direction that sense of "missed potential" struck a lot of people who hoped it would do something else.

It stands to reason that all the most popular shows of the year will also rank highly on the "most disappointing" list.
Old 2012-12-04, 17:43   Link #108
MexicanAnime

If i'd had the chance to still ever vote, I would have suggested Little Busters. Even though it's still airing, I was constantly told by others about how great the Visual Novel was and as a fan of Clannad and Kanon, I was actually looking forward to this. While it's not horrible, it was and still kind of is disappointing with how they're handling the direction and how annoying some of the characters are.
Old 2012-12-04, 17:46   Link #109
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I'll do my "dissappointing" and "pleasant" lits of 2012 in a short while, but imo the only "epic" series that reached anywhere near its potential this year was Fate/Zero. Guilty Crown, Nisemonogatari, Sword Art Online all "flopped" in one or another in direction and series like Shin Sekai Yori and Psycho Pass won't be done till next year and theres they may also stuff up somewhere down the line. I'm not following PP atm (will eventually) but I know that SSY had a subpar bunch of eps between the ep5 to 8ish mark only to pick up recently. Little Busters and Sakurasou that's airing right now can also be nominated for disappointments (the former for well.. being Key and the latter for being hampered by overuse of cliches and fanservice in what could have been a even better genuine teen romcom) I guess, but then again personally I never had that high expectations.

Series like Another, Ano Natsu, Sakamichi no Appollon, Natsuiro Kiseki and Kokoro Connect also "went downhill" or suffered significant "execution" problems at some point. I didn't watch or finish series like Last Exile: FAM, Eureka 7 AO and Natsuyuki Rendezvous but a lot of people seem to call them dissappointing.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 17:52   Link #110
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, as was said before, the most important thing about "disappointment" was to have expectations that failed to be met. Nisemonogatari was a sequel to one of the most popular anime of the last decade, and it took a slightly different approach than the first season. I suppose I am only surprised that it doesn't "rank" higher only because expectations were so high (but this may be partly because it's less fresh in people's memories right now). SAO is similar -- it was highly-anticipated and "hyped" by novel readers and had a premise that could have gone in a million different directions, and when it ultimately chose one direction that sense of "missed potential" struck a lot of people who hoped it would do something else.

It stands to reason that all the most popular shows of the year will also rank highly on the "most disappointing" list.
I definitely understand, it's just that I had an imprinted impression because the only people to post at the time were 100% for everything that was playing out, that's all. :3
Old 2012-12-04, 18:20   Link #111
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I definitely understand, it's just that I had an imprinted impression because the only people to post at the time were 100% for everything that was playing out, that's all. :3
Well, for what it's worth, that's not even true. There were a number of very vocal detractors for the show on this forum, and of course everywhere else. There were also a good number of people who liked the show, but didn't like some aspects of the way the anime presented the second arc in particular, and for them the show could still count as "disappointing", even if they liked it overall. (See the Series Impression Thread.)
Old 2012-12-04, 18:24   Link #112
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, for what it's worth, that's not even true. There were a number of very vocal detractors for the show on this forum, and of course everywhere else. There were also a good number of people who liked the show, but didn't like some aspects of the way the anime presented the second arc in particular, and for them the show could still count as "disappointing", even if they liked it overall.
Oh, actually? I suppose I just had bad timing and looked in the wrong episodic threads or something. :3
Old 2012-12-04, 21:12   Link #113
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:

Also, abbreviating it to HnG Can't Take My Eyes Off You makes it sounds like some kinda statement a lost otaku would make, I like it.
It sounds like HNNNNGGHHHHHH CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU lyrics song something
Old 2012-12-05, 02:40   Link #114
larethian

1. I thought these shows might have some mojo in them but......, OR
2. I've read the source material and the adaptation made my eyes bleed......

Brave 10
I wondered why I sat through the entire cour. I can definitely understand that plot devices get recycled and rehashed and there's nothing original about anything, but this show is really bland and non-novel......

Bakuman 3
It didn't make me bleed all the time, but it certainly did every now and then with all that snipping...

Kill Me Baby
I stopped laughing after episode 2.

Seitokai no Ichizon lvl2
Where are all the puns and parodies that they should have adapted!?

Robotics;Notes
Storywise, it's far below my expectations but still interesting enough for me to keep it.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 03:46   Link #115
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
HnG Can't Take My Eyes Off You
Hey, it wasn't on purpose. I'm just doing a quick tally, and I ended up shortening the series title and typing the subtitle in full.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 03:56   Link #116
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Sword art online - It started great but it then started to fall down. The characters are boring, the execution of the story is atrocious, lots of cheese, lots of irritating moments, the fight scenes are predictable and would not get you on the edge of your seat because the almighty badass black trenched-coat Kirigaya Jesus Kazuto can defeat them all. I've really had a lot to say about this show but this isn't a SAO hate thread.

Black rock shooter - What's with the hype? Because the MC looks like hatsune miku? The fact that this anime is only an 8 episode series is one of it's biggest faults.

Another - Started great but the ending is totally ridiculous. It's like Victory gundam with tomino's "Kill em all" formula disguised in a high school setting.

Sankarea - Started cool from 1-11 until 12. Mediocre ending is mediocre.

Medaka box - I love the manga of this show. But the anime is shit with it's so-so artwork and horrible execution.

Hyouka - ....It's an episodic anime with all just solving uninteresting cases. What's the actual story of this anime really? It's all just MOE, cutesy and getting curious shit then goes solves a case or a problem. I didn't get any that deep character development except the MC who had a decent one.

Last edited by Vladrave; 2012-12-05 at 04:11.
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 20:00   Link #117
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

December 8th update!

Sword Art Online: 21

Another: 12

Eureka Seven AO: 11

Arcana Famiglia: 9

Nisemonogatari: 7

Sakamichi no Apollon: 6
HnG: Can't Take My Eyes Off You : 6

5 Votes:

Rinne no Lagrange
Kokoro Connect
Natsayuki Rendezvous
Black Rock Shooter TV
Little Busters
Hyouka

4 Votes:

K
KoiChocho
Brave 10
Kill Me Baby

3 Votes:

Sankarea
Natsuiro Kiseki
Code Breaker

2 Votes:

Girls und Panzer
Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru: Futari no Elder
Jormungand S1
Kuroko no Basuke
Karezon of the Dead
Tsuritama
Accel World
Ano Natsu
PapaKiki
Zetman
Seitokai no Ichizon S2
Medaka Box

1 Vote:

Lupin 3rd Fujiko
Sakurasou
Space Brothers
High School DxD
Shinsekai Yori
Robotic;Notes
Bakuman 3rd Season
Acchi Kocchi
To Love-ru Darkness
Saki: Achiga-hen
Hagure Yuusha no Esthetica
Dog Days S2
Amagami SS+
Joshiraku
Hakuouki Remeiroku
Hiiro no Kakera
Imouto ga Iru
Tari Tari
Aquarian EVOL
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Otome x Amnesia

PS: If there is a mistake please inform me so I can edit this.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 20:07   Link #118
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrave View Post
Sword art online - It started great but it then started to fall down. The characters are boring, the execution of the story is atrocious, lots of cheese, lots of irritating moments, the fight scenes are predictable and would not get you on the edge of your seat because the almighty badass black trenched-coat Kirigaya Jesus Kazuto can defeat them all. I've really had a lot to say about this show but this isn't a SAO hate thread.
You know, there are people out there who practically preach that Kirito is the Jesus of modern anime and is the legit badass MC they've been looking for in ages (because you know, every other MC since Kenshiro had a bad rap for being a bunch of pussies compared to their JESUS KIRITO). So, yeah, I feel you there.

While there's nothing wrong about MCs defeating their enemies (it's the main point of anime fighters, after all), this is something we need to have a separate thread on.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 17:24   Link #119
NK_500
Disabled By Request

I'm surprised to see Medaka Box actually got votes. While certainly not a masterpiece but it also not being another Jump show like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.

Another big surprise to see Sakamichi no Apollon got 6 votes, even more than Kill Me Baby and Brave 10 which are practically broken in first place. When it was aired lots of people praised it as "K-On done right" and "K-On for women only better". Glad I didn't see it though but from my observation here and other popular anime forums most people disappointed with its direction.

I'm not surprised to see Sword Art Online got hillslide "victory" there consider how big its hatedom.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 23:13   Link #120
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
I'm surprised to see Medaka Box actually got votes. While certainly not a masterpiece but it also not being another Jump show like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.

Another big surprise to see Sakamichi no Apollon got 6 votes, even more than Kill Me Baby and Brave 10 which are practically broken in first place. When it was aired lots of people praised it as "K-On done right" and "K-On for women only better". Glad I didn't see it though but from my observation here and other popular anime forums most people disappointed with its direction.

I'm not surprised to see Sword Art Online got hillslide "victory" there consider how big its hatedom.
I'm not surprised neither for SAO.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote