AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-07, 10:39   Link #1381
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

My interpretation is a mix of both; some worlds would reside in the same dimension scattered by billions of light-years, and some are in different dimensions altogether. By moving linearly through the Fold (that purply thingy the ships move through), these different worlds are accessed far quicker.
Old 2008-08-07, 12:19   Link #1382
Once and Current Subber

We don't actually have any evidence of that one way or the other.

It's not even clear that the TSAB's ships are capable of conventional faster-than-light travel. We don't ever see them traveling except through dimensions, and their speed through that is contrived/meaningless.

Which makes sense, if you think about it. If you're capable of travel between dimensions, and it's only a few hours to nearby, useful worlds, do you really need FTL drives? Especially if you can hop to the next dimension over and then hop back somewhere else in the original dimension.

All that said, any time a TSAB member says "world", they're talking about an actual planet in, apparently, a unique dimension. We know that there's multiple "worlds" directly administrated by the TSAB, as well as a whole bunch of "non-administrated" ones with populations; Earth is #97, and was found well over 50 years ago, and the TSAB isn't actually a whole lot older than that, if you think about it. There's also a lot of uninhabited worlds, some of which the TSAB uses (they seem fond of sticking orbital prisons around uninhabitable rocks, heh).

Infinite reaches of the multiverse are infinite, huh? That would account for why there's not a big ol' fleet hanging out around Mid - if the TSAB's main job is exploration, and patrol of the explored area looking for things that could cause dimensional instabilities, that would take a lot of ships.
Old 2008-08-07, 13:27   Link #1383
JINNSK
黒猫のウィズやってます

I agree with Keroko.According to Chronicle,There is the various and parallel "world" in each different dimensions.

Quote:
舞台背景
次元世界~ミッドチルダ
世界と世界の狭間を結ぶ超空間…「次元空間」。なのはの出身世界「地球」をはじめ、次元空間にはさまざまな 「世界」が存在し、それぞれが平行世界として存在、それぞれに歴史を重ねている。それらを総称したものが「 次元世界」と呼ばれるものである。
別の世界へと渡る能力(次元空間を航行する性能を持つ艦船を保有)を得た進化した世界はいくつか存在するが 、その中でも最も「魔法技術」が安定して栄えている世界と言われているのが、"StrikerS"の舞台と なる「ミッドチルダ」である。
進化を遂げた世界は、ミッドチルダをはじめとするいくつかの世界が共同で運営を行っている「時空管理局」の 適正な管理下の元に置かれることとなり、一方いまだ別世界に渡る能力を持たない世界については、他の世界に 影響を及ぼすような事故や事件が起こらない限りは、"不可侵"という取り決めが「管理局法」によって定めら れている。
Old 2008-08-07, 15:34   Link #1384
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar_notADV View Post
There's also a lot of uninhabited worlds, some of which the TSAB uses (they seem fond of sticking orbital prisons around uninhabitable rocks, heh).
That's because a Maximum Security Prison is a NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) Who wants a Supermax in orbit above their world with super nasty criminals on it? At least with uninhabitted worlds, the only place they can go if they manage a breakout is to the surface of a planet that's pretty much going to kill you right quick.

Old 2008-08-08, 22:48   Link #1385
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Plus if you put it over an inhabited world if they ever somehow took over the facility they could make unfun threats like a suicide Colony Drop.
Old 2008-08-08, 22:55   Link #1386
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Somehow I don't think mass suicide would go over too well as a plan with most of the inmates. But yeah, uninhabited worlds serving as penal colonies is nothing new to science fiction; just look at Kessel in the Star Wars expanded universe.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-08-09, 00:15   Link #1387
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Or Australia, which pretty much started as a penal colony. Like Solomon said, there's nothing new under the sun.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-08-09, 01:30   Link #1388
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Or Australia, which pretty much started as a penal colony. Like Solomon said, there's nothing new under the sun.
Except, you know. Austrailia's habbitable, though hostile. When we say 'uninhabbitable' in terms of entire planets... we mean the place is like Venus' "Kill you on contact because the surface temp is 900 degrees, the atmosphere's fifty percent ACID, and the pressure crushes most stuff in seconds... " uninhabbitable.
Old 2008-08-09, 05:05   Link #1389
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Those conditions were "practically inhabitable" to the Brit snobs back then but I get your point.
Old 2008-08-09, 13:03   Link #1390
Once and Current Subber

Well, we don't actually know that every prison planet is totally uninhabitable. But of course it makes sense to put them out in the middle of nowhere, relatively speaking.

Then again, it'd make even more sense to put them -completely- out in the middle of nowhere. Why even bother orbiting a planet? It'd be even safer if it was just hanging out in the middle of dimensional space, right? So we can assume that there's some sort of reason to hang them around planets. Maybe it just makes them easier to find again?
Old 2008-08-09, 14:58   Link #1391
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Maybe planets are like beacons for ships to know where to pull out of the Dimensional Sea. Easier to find sounds like the most logical conclusion though. Kinda like how its much easier to find a boat around an island then one in the open sea.
Old 2008-08-11, 05:09   Link #1392
TankGoat
Bahhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Maybe planets are like beacons for ships to know where to pull out of the Dimensional Sea. Easier to find sounds like the most logical conclusion though. Kinda like how its much easier to find a boat around an island then one in the open sea.
May be the Mid-Childa planet itself is the beacon
Wait, warhammer40k-style warp?
quando coeli movendi sunt et terra,
Dum veneris judicare
saeculum per ignem.
Old 2008-08-11, 07:01   Link #1393
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGoat View Post
May be the Mid-Childa planet itself is the beacon
Wait, warhammer40k-style warp?
Well what do ya know? ()
Old 2008-08-11, 07:13   Link #1394
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The Dimensional Sea is hardly a realm of chaos and disorder that drives people insane just passing through it.
Old 2008-08-11, 09:19   Link #1395
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

I was just chuckling at another person thinking of 40K.
Old 2008-08-11, 09:20   Link #1396
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Oh yes, Tk keeps denying it, but Nanoha is filled with 40K references. :3
Old 2008-08-17, 04:18   Link #1397
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
You know the idea of a subspace as a mean to travel between worlds and universes is NOT exclusive to warhammer 40k.

One of the earliest examples is the "sea of chaos" featured in the Eternal Champion books by Michael Moorcock, that dated back from the 1960s. Used first in the Elric books then in Corum Cycle.

My point is, no, Warhammer 40k has not invented the wheel. Just like many fictional universes, it recycled tropes from old books, like how Tolkien has used finnish legends as template for some of his stories in the Silmarilion.
Old 2008-08-17, 04:21   Link #1398
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

We know. There's also the well known Hyperspace of Star Wars and the like, and so on and so on.

It's just a running gag, nothing more.
Old 2008-08-17, 18:16   Link #1399
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
You know the idea of a subspace as a mean to travel between worlds and universes is NOT exclusive to warhammer 40k.

One of the earliest examples is the "sea of chaos" featured in the Eternal Champion books by Michael Moorcock, that dated back from the 1960s. Used first in the Elric books then in Corum Cycle.

My point is, no, Warhammer 40k has not invented the wheel. Just like many fictional universes, it recycled tropes from old books, like how Tolkien has used finnish legends as template for some of his stories in the Silmarilion.
I would be amazed if anyone here didn't know that.

Besides that, the reference was to the Astronomican, not alternate space-based FTL in general.
Old 2008-08-29, 07:37   Link #1400
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Erm... Hi, I'm new here.

I'm sorry for going off to another topic from what you guys are discussing(the current dimensional thing is driving me nuts), but I'd like to ask what was the thing that Vivio had before Jail super-buffed her into adult Vivio? She had that self-defense system thing, right? What was it called and how did it work?

edit: sorry if it's been asked before. I got lost in pages and pages of stuff whe using search.

Last edited by Nya~n; 2008-08-29 at 08:19.
Closed Thread