AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-07-22, 00:53   Link #1
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Trouble with Macbook

Lately I've been having some trouble with my macbook. Every now and then, the entire computer would freeze up and force to me shutdown. When I turn it back on, the load up screen shows a blinking folder with a question mark in it. DOes anyone know how to solve this problem? Is there some sort of a mac diagnosis program?

(If this is of any help, the problem seems to occur the most often when I'm using camino with any other program).
Old 2007-07-22, 03:03   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Blinking folder could be bad.

Anyway, try booting from the Mac OS X installation CD (which should have come with your Mac, you can open a sort-of boot menu by holding down ALT while booting afaik), and once the whole install application is loaded select "Disk Utility" from the Apple menu (upper left). Then do a disk check of your HD. You must do it this way because Mac OS X can't fix problems on the same disk it was booted from.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Quote from MacBook manual:
Quote:
You see a picture of a disk or a folder with a blinking question mark.
This icon usually means that the computer can’t find the system software on the hard
disk or any disks attached to the computer. Disconnect all external peripherals and try
restarting. Hold down the power () button for 8 to 10 seconds until the computer
turns off. Then press the power button again. If the problem persists, you might need
to reinstall the system software. See “Reinstalling the Software That Came with Your
Computer” on page 96.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-22, 08:02   Link #3
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Also, with the OS X install disc in the drive, hold down D while the machine boots to get into the hardware diagnostics.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-22, 12:15   Link #4
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

This sounds like potential hard drive failure combined with the dreaded random shutdown syndrome. What era MacBook is this? Is it still under warranty? In any case, I'd recommend you start backing up your files while you are able to get into OS X to an external hard drive of some sort.

EDIT: Wait, when you say you have to shut it down, do you mean the screen goes grey and you get that warning that says you must shut down your computer? In that case it's not the random shutdown syndrome, just a kernel panic, but still points to something bad in hardware. Have you added any third party RAM, by chance?
Old 2007-07-22, 17:36   Link #5
iKumdo
Chodan

[QUOTE=killmoms;1054757]This sounds like potential hard drive failure combined with the dreaded random shutdown syndrome. What era MacBook is this? Is it still under warranty? In any case, I'd recommend you start backing up your files while you are able to get into OS X to an external hard drive of some sort.[quote]
This is the intel macbook, and it is no longer under warranty.

Quote:
EDIT: Wait, when you say you have to shut it down, do you mean the screen goes grey and you get that warning that says you must shut down your computer? In that case it's not the random shutdown syndrome, just a kernel panic, but still points to something bad in hardware. Have you added any third party RAM, by chance?
The computer just completely freezes up and the spinning beach ball comes out (the mouse). I have to hold the power button to shut it off. I don't think there is a third party ram, cause I only added RAM when I first bought it from the mac store. I assuming they would add their own stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Blinking folder could be bad.

Anyway, try booting from the Mac OS X installation CD (which should have come with your Mac, you can open a sort-of boot menu by holding down ALT while booting afaik), and once the whole install application is loaded select "Disk Utility" from the Apple menu (upper left). Then do a disk check of your HD. You must do it this way because Mac OS X can't fix problems on the same disk it was booted from.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Quote from MacBook manual:
Does it seem like my macbook is in a lot of trouble? It's only been a year (less actually).
Old 2007-07-22, 18:53   Link #6
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Go to the disk utility, click on hard drive (not the partition beneath it) and ensure that the SMART status is verified.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 01:13   Link #7
iKumdo
Chodan

nothing seems to work! My macbook is now unable to locate the hard drive. I never got to do the diagnostics because it would never start up. I managed to get all my files backed up though, any suggestions? Do I need to go get this repaired?
Old 2007-07-31, 09:57   Link #8
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Yes. This sounds like a hard drive failure. If you're within warranty it should be an in-store fix, since the hard drive is a user-replaceable part.
Old 2007-07-31, 15:19   Link #9
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

If it's just a few weeks out of warranty, you might be able to convince Apple Support to repair it anyway. If it's longer (1-2 months or more), then you could call a Apple Center to ask how much it would cost to have them replace the HDD for you.

Or, if you're knowledgeable or know someone who is good with PCs, you can try this:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac...dDrive_DIY.pdf
Old 2007-08-01, 00:48   Link #10
iKumdo
Chodan

I went ahead and dropped off the macbook at an Apple store for repairs. No mac for a week now. I'm currently using my brother's pc computer, and trying to get some of my files opened on here. I backed up my macbook onto a LaCie external hard drive. I'm trying to get it opened on this pc using Macdrive, but Macdrive doesn't seem to find the LaCie hard drive! I can find it in disk/device manager and even on the macdrive format/delete drive list. I just cant find it on my computer like I'm supposed to (my ipod shows up). Anyone know what to do with this problem? I hope my LaCie drive is fried as well, this one's less than a week old!!!
Old 2007-08-01, 02:01   Link #11
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
Windows can't see/read Mac formatted hard disks because it's an unknown format to it. I learned this with one of my other external drives, even Macdrive couldn't find it.
Old 2007-08-01, 03:33   Link #12
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Maybe this will work?
http://www.mediafour.com/support/trials_updates.asp

Otherwise try a Knoppix CD to see if you can copy the files using Linux.
(however, it's possibly you may need to manually mount the drive with the "mount" command)