AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-09-14, 08:41   Link #101
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Depending on the circumstances, I will be either a student at school or in uniform at work. I prefer the lower part of the latter as I would be able to see all of the neat costumes.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 08:54   Link #102
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
I'm a neko most years... I just have trouble choosing which neko mimi I want out of my collection of them!
It's been a while now, but I think it's settled. I'd definitely like to know you personally

And Halloween seems fun, although I had never heard of the curfew thing... good to know, since my brothers have been going out and asking for candy on Halloween ever since we came to the States. I'm too old and too much of a hikki to go out and do that, so I'm the type who usually stays inside and hopes nobody knocks on the door so he can keep all the candy.

Funny enough, I'm the one who insists they dress up. Last year I tried making last-minute Sora and Roxas costumes for the two, but it didn't turn out really great. Perhaps I'll give it a try again this year.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 09:23   Link #103
Furudanuki

As far as costumes go... Just like always, I am going to be the grumpy old man who wants those damn kids to get off his porch and out of his yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Anyway, it's just as well since they started the curfew at 7:00 pm (or so) in the US for Halloween. That really killed all the fun. I mean, it's not even dark out then! I'm glad I had my fun before the government interfered. I mean, I know why they did it, but still - it was always a bit risky - you just had to be smart about being safe and not taking chances.
Maybe your local city government has imposed a curfew, but there is no such ordinance in effect for the USA as a whole! There certainly isn't anywhere near the area where I live.
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 09:38   Link #104
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Meh. I stopped dressing up for Halloween when I was 15. Now I help hand out candy, which is just as good as going to get it. In our neighborhood, I always have some left over...

Anyway, it's just as well since they started the curfew at 7:00 pm (or so) in the US for Halloween. That really killed all the fun. I mean, it's not even dark out then! I'm glad I had my fun before the government interfered. I mean, I know why they did it, but still - it was always a bit risky - you just had to be smart about being safe and not taking chances. The best part used to be staying out until 1 am, then coming back home around 2 am with 2-3 bags of candy that could take up to two years to fully consume.
I have never heard of a curfew at 7 in the US, maybe it's for your specific city and state?
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 09:48   Link #105
KasumiGirl
The endless sky
*Graphic Designer

Rider! From FSN
I won't go asking 'Trick or treat' though. :P
Usually, in our school, the anime club has a cosplay-disco party.
I dressed up as Ichigo from Tokyo mew mew in a school dress xD
KasumiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 10:01   Link #106
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasumiGirl View Post
Rider! From FSN
I won't go asking 'Trick or treat' though. :P
Usually, in our school, the anime club has a cosplay-disco party.
I dressed up as Ichigo from Tokyo mew mew in a school dress xD
yeah my college is doing a Halloween cosplay party....but sadly I dont have a costume worked out.
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 10:25   Link #107
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboso View Post
yeah my college is doing a Halloween cosplay party....but sadly I dont have a costume worked out.
Luckily theirs still plenty of time!
Old 2007-09-14, 10:27   Link #108
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Heres my costumes for the last two years...

Spoiler for Costumes:
Old 2007-09-14, 11:09   Link #109
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Also concur: no such thing as a "7pm curfew" anywhere in the Northwest region of the US. There *is* a midnight curfew in areas for anyone under 18 but even that has an exception if they're with an adult.

We usually go to our respective jobsites dressed for Halloween (screw curmudgeon management). My wife has a variety of lolita goth or punky goth (twin tails, black lipstick, gothy neko attire with mini, tank boots, and stockings) she selects from.

I usually go as some fantasy variant escapee from LOTR or SCA .... chainmail, hand-and-a-half sword, viking or celtic garb. Though if I get time this year I'd rather go as a Van Helsing type (ala Hugh Jackman).

My younger son's girlfriend will make sure he and her go as something.... (they went as Mikuru and Kyon to the recent Kumoricon -- a surprisingly perfect fit for their looks and personalities ).

No idea what my older son has planned so far.... though I'll suspect a Warcraftian rogue type given his "box o' stuff".
Old 2007-09-14, 12:17   Link #110
Hotaru Suzume
Ten oorlog!
*Artist

I shall do nothing. I do not celebrate or fully understand Halloween, despite being a Westerner.

Same thing with Christmas and Easter, but the reason for not joining in with those being that I'm not a Christian.
Hotaru Suzume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 13:18   Link #111
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
I haven't decided what I'm going to be for halloween this year yet. I was thinking maybe a zombie.
Old 2007-09-14, 13:33   Link #112
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

i don't do halloween.

Spoiler for not liking it:

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 13:41   Link #113
Thingle
Banned

I'm gonna eat a lot. In the Philippines, we have a tradition of visiting cemeteries during haloween. I have no grave to visit though. Our family does not do burials. Our dead relatives are cremated instead.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 13:52   Link #114
Shion Sonozaki

Send a message via AIM to Shion Sonozaki
For the last two halloweens, my brother and I were zombies. We did the gore make-up ourselves..or..well..my brother thought of and applied them. He's the genius when it comes to that stuff. XD

The first year, I just had a torn-open throat. The year after that, I had a torn jaw, with wasabi covered peas cut in half for crooked, broken teeth!

But, I think this year will be different. We'll have a bit of a stage show in our garage. This is mostly for older kids. Younger kids will just be brought to the front door for candy. Older kids will be brought back to the garage to find a person looking beat up and wounded, tied to a chair. He'll ask them to free him, but then a person, in a butchers smock and surgeons mask, will come out from the back room of the garage, and torture the person in a chair. We're trying to figure out ways to have fake limbs rigged up so we can do things like sawing off fingers and stuff. XD

Should be fun!
Shion Sonozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 14:01   Link #115
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
It's been a while now, but I think it's settled. I'd definitely like to know you personally
My initial reaction was to laugh evilly, though I'm not sure why... hohoho PM me whenever you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Incest View Post
I'm gonna eat a lot. In the Philippines, we have a tradition of visiting cemeteries during haloween. I have no grave to visit though. Our family does not do burials. Our dead relatives are cremated instead.
If you're raised with that tradition then I suppose it isn't scary in the least. For me, I'm not really superstitious but cemetaries freak me out enough that in traveling past one, I hold my breath *and* hide my thumbs.

I wasn't aware that there were certain areas that did *not* have a curfew time for kids on Halloween... How long do kids trick-or-treat then? Until midnight? Back when I still trick-or-treated, I always stopped when my bag became too full or too heavy to carry...

Last year I was a Japanese/Korean/Chinese ghost (long black hair, long white gown, pale skin) with neko ears. I think they kind of killed the spook factor, though.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 20:03   Link #116
aki/kaze/shi
Without Love

Location: Locked up in my room, in fears the neighbours will infest my house with....GRASSHOPPERS.
Hn..uh..I will probably be forced to dress cute by my friends.^^'
Well, if my hair was longer, me and my sister wanted to dress as Misha and Shia from Pita Ten. That'd be so cute. >.<
And I make a pretty good witch. XD Freaky..Last year I was a hippie. lol, I looked more like a pirate boy. Why must I look like a pretty boy? o_O

Hn, I wanted to go to a cemetery in my local city to visit a grave with the name John A, Munroe. There's a supposed ghost story, and I love ghost stories, and I just wanna see what'll happen since no one will freakin' go there. But someone died going into the graveyard recently. o_O But I wanna just talk to his grave. ^^' It's enjoyable, and I'm the only one with the wits to do it.
aki/kaze/shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 20:26   Link #117
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

I'll be haunting the streets since I can't get my hands on those free candies anymore. Hehe, peek-a-boo I steal from you!
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 00:13   Link #118
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewoud View Post
I shall do nothing. I do not celebrate or fully understand Halloween, despite being a Westerner.

Same thing with Christmas and Easter, but the reason for not joining in with those being that I'm not a Christian.
Some brief research would fix that. All 3 holidays derive from older pagan holidays and have had Christianity ladled over the top as that religion grew.

Halloween (Samhain) is the last day of the Keltic new year, the end of harvest and the transition when expired souls may re-appear. If you fed them, they wouldn't eat you....

Christmas (Saturnalia, Yuletide, Winter Solstice) ... gotta burn the yule log so that the star goat won't eat the sun... or some million variants of that. The decorated tree is a "sacrifice" of sorts and traditionally was burned as well since fire attracts the fire-riffic sun god back.

Easter (Vernal Equinox, also sometimes Beltane's festival)... yay for birth and rebirth, reincarnation, and fertility rites of spring.
eggs are druidic symbols of the life cycle.

Obviously those descriptions are a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I'm not sure what prevents you from having fun with holidays despite not being a member of the cult. Japanese celebrate Christmas despite being 99% Buddhist and Shinto simultaneously (and some go to Christian church as well... just more kami ya know). Technically, village festivals are for the local gods but people come from all over to join the fun.
Old 2007-09-15, 02:48   Link #119
Blaarg
^^;

Send a message via MSN to Blaarg
I haven't done anything for Halloween for ~7 years now.. the candy was never worth the effort, since I'd eat it all in one night :P.
Blaarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 07:01   Link #120
Hotaru Suzume
Ten oorlog!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Some brief research would fix that. All 3 holidays derive from older pagan holidays and have had Christianity ladled over the top as that religion grew.

Halloween (Samhain) is the last day of the Keltic new year, the end of harvest and the transition when expired souls may re-appear. If you fed them, they wouldn't eat you....

Christmas (Saturnalia, Yuletide, Winter Solstice) ... gotta burn the yule log so that the star goat won't eat the sun... or some million variants of that. The decorated tree is a "sacrifice" of sorts and traditionally was burned as well since fire attracts the fire-riffic sun god back.

Easter (Vernal Equinox, also sometimes Beltane's festival)... yay for birth and rebirth, reincarnation, and fertility rites of spring.
eggs are druidic symbols of the life cycle.

Obviously those descriptions are a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I'm not sure what prevents you from having fun with holidays despite not being a member of the cult. Japanese celebrate Christmas despite being 99% Buddhist and Shinto simultaneously (and some go to Christian church as well... just more kami ya know). Technically, village festivals are for the local gods but people come from all over to join the fun.
I'd figured that Halloween started as a Celtic Pagan thing, didn't read much into it though. xD I might read a bit more and join in with Samhain...
And those Christmas and Easter ones are interesting...

Now, I consider things like Christmas to be purely religious, and as such do not feel any inclination to celebrate them unless they involve my religion, which none of them do. I've got my own such things to celebrate anyway, being a Shintoist. Though that's rather ironic given that most Japanese Shintoists seem to celebrate many Western things.
Funny world this is...
Hotaru Suzume is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halloween